PDA

View Full Version : The Man of Steel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

megladon8
04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I know MatchCut has its dissenters to the Superman franchise, but I'm incredibly happy with this news...

In a video interview with Collider.com (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/7675/tcid/1), Brandon Routh revealed that he is supposed to begin shooting the sequel to Superman Returns early next year.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6125/supermanreturns01sv8.jpg

D_Davis
04-24-2008, 05:21 PM
That's cool.

I thought the studios didn't want Brandon Routh to return?

megladon8
04-24-2008, 05:22 PM
That's cool.

I thought the studios didn't want Brandon Routh to return?

Well from that interview, I gather they didn't want him for Justice League - which is good, since that project has flopped (for now).

I really am happy about him returning to the role, though. I thought he was perfect in every way.

number8
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't know why, but I'm not liking how they're following The Dark Knight in the naming of the movie.

Mara
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I thought he was pretty good.

Much better than Lois. Pppt.

DavidSeven
04-24-2008, 06:35 PM
The title just reminds me of:

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/images/2006/10/30/steel.jpg

MadMan
04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure about the title. But I am happy that they are making a sequel, and that Brandon Routh is returning in the title role.

Ezee E
04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Don't mind the title. But I don't believe it'll happen until there's more info.

megladon8
04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I actually really like the title. They did it with the first two installments, as well - even used the same font on the posters, I believe.

Kind of hints at something big happening later down the road - ie a Batman/Superman movie in the far future.

Acapelli
04-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Brandon Routh was the best thing about Superman Returns so I'm glad he's back.

Ezee E
04-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Kind of hints at something big happening later down the road - ie a Batman/Superman movie in the far future.

Not really.

megladon8
04-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Not really.

OK then.

I guess I've been told.

transmogrifier
04-25-2008, 02:27 AM
I can barely contain my excitement.

No, wait, that doesn't sound right.

What is the complete opposite of that statement?

Dukefrukem
04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Superman Returns was so bad... i cried

transmogrifier
04-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Superman Returns was so bad... i cried

I didn't cry, but I did question the reliability of studio executives who are supposed to protect us from ponderous, dull, hollow shit and instead provide us with palatable, fast-moving, sensuous shit.

Sycophant
04-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm glad both Singer and Routh are back. I'm rather looking forward to this. Hopefully, it follows the line of thought from the first film.

Also, I don't expect that I'd care to see the new Batman and Superman franchises merge. Feels icky.

Doclop
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
It is very Dark Knight-ish, but I like the title and I definitely like Routh, so I'm pumped. Man of Steel = X2!?! I hope.

megladon8
07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Mark Millar wants to head up the project. (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/07/01/mark-millar-has-new-directorproducer-for-superman-returns-sequel/)

Sounds like he wants to take Bryan Singer off, and says that a "very high profile American action director with a lot of pull at WB" has gotten in touch with him, and they are putting together pitch documents, hoping they could make the film for a 2011 release.

The departure of Bryan Singer would be sad news, but if they get rid of Brandon Routh as well, I'll be very pissed off.

And let's hope this "high profile WB action director" isn't, say, Brett Ratner.

number8
07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Pssst:

Zack Snyder.

megladon8
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Pssst:

Zack Snyder.

I hope not.

Sycophant
07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
If Bryan Singer goes, my interest plummets.

Grouchy
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
If I lived in LA I’d just write like everyone else. My pals over there are all on their second wives and do drugs. It’s a world I don’t want my kid to grow up in. I’ve been married since I was 23. I have a really normal set up.
What a fucking asshole. Mark, the fact that you're married since you're 23 is not only not normal, it proves you're a dickless fool with no knowledge about life.

Back to the movie, even while I think Superman Returns sucked, I'd be more willing to give someone like Bryan Singer another budget and movie than risking a re-boot of a re-boot with a "well known Hollywood action director".

number8
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
<-- married @ 21.

Wryan
07-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I gotta find the perfect person for me before I consider long-term stuff. Not a perfect person inherently, mind you, but a perfect person for me.

Grouchy
07-02-2008, 09:12 PM
<-- married @ 21.
Ok, now I know I'm gonna get some anthrax in my mailbox.

Seriously, though, I congratulate you if you're happy, but don't you ever think, had you waited until you were 30, you'd be able to do plenty of stuff, have a lot of experiences and learn a lot on your own. I'm not saying you haven't already, but you'd have ten more years of that. And by the time one settles down, there are no unfulfilled dreams.

I have a friend same age as me (21) who's not married but moved in with his girlfriend this year. Man, you can almost see the shadow of the prison bars on his face.

You dickless fool.

Wryan
07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
If Love makes you blind, Sex makes you comatose.

number8
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Seriously, though, I congratulate you if you're happy, but don't you ever think, had you waited until you were 30, you'd be able to do plenty of stuff, have a lot of experiences and learn a lot on your own. I'm not saying you haven't already, but you'd have ten more years of that. And by the time one settles now, there are no unfulfilled dreams.

Learn what, exactly? I don't know what it is that I'm supposed to learn about life that I can't do with a partner by my side. Makes it less boring.

Unless you're talking about experiencing other women (or men), in which case I surrender the argument since I'm not exactly the best advocate on monogamy.

Grouchy
07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Learn what, exactly? I don't know what it is that I'm supposed to learn about life that I can't do with a partner by my side. Makes it less boring.

Unless you're talking about experiencing other women (or men), in which case I surrender the argument since I'm not exactly the best advocate on monogamy.
Well, yeah, part of it is having a lot of experiences with other women/men so that you're sure the one you're with is the one you want to live with for the rest of your life.

I'm sure we both know this, but I'm not trying to tell anybody how to live their lives now - what works for one doesn't work for the other. Just explaining why I feel Mark Millar is an asshole.

Skitch
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I hope not.

I'd be okay with that.

megladon8
07-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I'd be okay with that.

I like Superman stories to be very human, and have heart and soul.

I have yet to see him do something which shows an ability (or even an interest) in making an emotional film.

megladon8
07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey, what about maybe The Wachowski Brothers?

Not sure how happy I'd be about that, but they're big action directors, and all their work since Bound has been for WB.

Then again, Speed Racer was a flop...but still.

number8
07-03-2008, 03:30 AM
The Wachowskis was one of the names considered before Singer came on board, so maybe. The Matrix Revolutions was basically their screen test.

number8
07-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Well, yeah, part of it is having a lot of experiences with other women/men so that you're sure the one you're with is the one you want to live with for the rest of your life.

Meh. I find that to be a futile and endless search, because you can always find someone relatively better. The trick is to be content and happy with the one you've chosen because you believe in the relationship. Being in an open marriage, I'm still experiencing other women (and men, yes I'm sort of bi), but not with the intention of replacement or "be sure." I'm already as sure as I can be. It's not hard science that you can research.

I'm sure we both know this, but I'm not trying to tell anybody how to live their lives now - what works for one doesn't work for the other. Just explaining why I feel Mark Millar is an asshole.

Yes, I know you're not. And yes, I too think Millar's a douche. I'm just arguing against your reasoning. He's an asshole for his crappy writing and his ego, not his personal family life.

megladon8
07-03-2008, 03:49 AM
How well did the Matrix sequels actually end up doing at the box office?

I remember the critics being lukewarm about Reloaded, and flat-out disliking Revolutions. I never really followed how well they did.

number8
07-03-2008, 03:59 AM
How well did the Matrix sequels actually end up doing at the box office?

I remember the critics being lukewarm about Reloaded, and flat-out disliking Revolutions. I never really followed how well they did.

Reloaded made over 700 million dollars worldwide. Revolutions over 400.

Grouchy
07-03-2008, 04:45 AM
Being in an open marriage, I'm still experiencing other women (and men, yes I'm sort of bi), but not with the intention of replacement or "be sure."
Well, then that's totally different. I'd recommend waiting 'till 30 to have the kind of marriage where, if you wanna experience other women/men you gotta call and say you're staying for poker night or something like that.

On a completely unrelated topic, did you see Sick Nurses?

Dead & Messed Up
07-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Mark Millar comes across like a weiner in that interview. And despite my lukewarm feelings for Singer's reboot, I'd like to see him work again with Brandon Routh on a sequel that ups the ante and finds a suitable villain for Superman.

number8
07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
On a completely unrelated topic, did you see Sick Nurses?

Nope.

Skitch
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I like Superman stories to be very human, and have heart and soul.

I have yet to see him do something which shows an ability (or even an interest) in making an emotional film.

We'll see with Watchmen...

Grouchy
07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Nope.
Don't you want to see Thai nurses in underwear and tight medical uniforms chop off their own limbs and feed them to each other?

Or you had enough of that during highschool?

number8
07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Don't you want to see Thai nurses in underwear and tight medical uniforms chop off their own limbs and feed them to each other?

Or you had enough of that during highschool?

Yep.

Bringing it back to Superman... I tried digging up a treatment for a "Superman V" I wrote years ago (this was before Returns) to no avail. I probably wrote it all shitty-like. Good thing I still remember the plot.

Wryan
07-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Being in an open marriage, I'm still experiencing other women (and men, yes I'm sort of bi), but not with the intention of replacement or "be sure." I'm already as sure as I can be. It's not hard science that you can research.

Actually, I laud this. Most people don't even given open marriages a moment's consideration. I imagine if more couples did, a lot of people might be happier dese days. Difficult to make work, though, from what I know/have read.

And I'm bi, too, but don't worry--I don't think you're attractive. :twisted:

number8
07-04-2008, 02:19 AM
And I'm bi, too, but don't worry--I don't think you're attractive. :twisted:

Nor I you, you penguin-looking cousinfucker.

number8
07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Will Smith on why he turned down Superman:

“The last Superman I got offered, the script came, and I was like, ‘There is no way I’m playing Superman!’ Because I had already done Jim West (Wild Wild West) and you can’t be messing up white peoples’ heroes in Hollywood,” he recalled. “You mess up white peoples’ heroes in Hollywood, you’ll never work in this town again!”

Heh.

Ezee E
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Not Snyder. Not the Wachowskis.

Louis Leterrier.

Watashi
07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Well... there goes all my anticipation down the toilet.

megladon8
07-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Not Snyder. Not the Wachowskis.

Louis Leterrier.

Link?

'Cause, um, he's not really someone who holds a lot of clout with WB...I don't think he's ever done anything for them.

Ezee E
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Link?

'Cause, um, he's not really someone who holds a lot of clout with WB...I don't think he's ever done anything for them.
He's currently remaking Clash of the Titans for them.

transmogrifier
07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
I can't wait for this film to get stuck in development hell and not be made for 20-odd years.

megladon8
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Here's an article (http://www.usatoday.com/life/2008-07-27-comic-con-wrapup_N.htm) about how much superheroism has changed, but it also has a quote from Zack Snyder saying he is not the one directing The Man of Steel.

"They asked me to direct a Superman movie, and I said no," Snyder says. "He's a tricky one nowadays, isn't he? He's the king daddy of all comic-book heroes, but I'm just not sure how you sell that kind of earnestness to a sophisticated audience anymore."

Sven
07-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Sophistication precludes earnestness? Golly.

number8
08-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Sophistication precludes earnestness? Golly.

Yeah, what bullshit. He seems to have confused sophistication with cynicism.

Spinal
08-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Dude. You're the guy who directed 300. Shut the fuck up about sophistication.

D_Davis
08-01-2008, 03:37 AM
I'd rather be earnest than sophisticated any old day.

MadMan
08-01-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm all about being cynical. Its a bummer that Singer won't be involved this time around. He did a a fine job with the first flick.

megladon8
08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Two villains, and a summer 2009 release?

Two Villains in Superman: Man of Steel
Source: The Planet
August 4, 2007

A user on BlueTights' The Planet Forum got a chance to meet Superman: Man of Steel co-writer Michael Dougherty at the U.S. Capitol and asked him about the sequel:

I asked him if he was a part of the sequel because everything I have seen says [Bryan] Singer and [Dan] Harris are writing the script and that he isn't mentioned. He confirmed that he is writing it with the two just like the last picture. I then expressed to him that I was hoping the delays of Superman: The Man of Steel weren't true. He said that they were on track and that the goal is still to have the movie out in the Summer of 2009. He seemed a little hesitant about it but did his best to try and reassure that it will get done by then. I asked if he could give any more info on the film. He responded, "There are TWO villains," and he smiled.

Brandon Routh is returning in the title role for the Warner Bros. release.

I really don't see how summer 2009 is possible, unless they start filming like, tomorrow.

An effects-driven summer event movie to come out in less than a year, and it's not even done the writing stage yet? I don't see this happening.

transmogrifier
08-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd say the faster it is shot and edited, the less chance it's going to be laden with ridiculous po-faced seriousness like the last one. So that'll be good.

number8
08-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Hahahahaha! Summer 2009. Unless this is Clerks: The Superman Years... No.

Ivan Drago
08-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I thought Singer wasn't going to be involved?

Skitch
08-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I thought Singer wasn't going to be involved?

The news for this movie seems to be all over the place. One day its this, next day its that...one day he's on, then he's off...

Ezee E
08-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Regarding this improbability of having it out by next year...

Perhaps Clint Eastwood is directing this. He'd have it ready by December.

number8
08-22-2008, 05:43 PM
WB confirmed that there won't be a Superman Returns sequel.

Their next Superman movie is going to be a complete reboot again.

Sycophant
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
It's gonna be another 19 years, isn't it?

Kurosawa Fan
08-22-2008, 05:48 PM
It's gonna be another 19 years, isn't it?

Hopefully.

Seriously though, I think I'm going to boycott comic-book films from this point forward. I'm sick to death of them, and the fact that the studios can fail with a franchise, and two years later decide to have a "do over" and start from scratch again is just obnoxious.

number8
08-22-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm with you, especially since Robinov is saying that they're going to start adapting DC heroes with the same approach as The Dark Knight--with gritty dark and brooding realism.

How fucking Superman!

Sycophant
08-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I was actually very interested in a Singer-helmed sequel to Returns. I can't imagine getting too excited about anything else, given my general ambivalence toward Superman and superheroes. And brooding and dark can GTFO.

Grouchy
08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Dark, brooding Superman. Right.

What they should do is take one of the good sagas from the comics and make a story about that. Like the one where Superman is exiled in space and has to fight for his life as a slave and then in the circus against Mongul.

I assure you this would sell tickets:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/superman-1987/32-1.jpg

And it could even be considered a Returns prequel!

DavidSeven
08-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Wait. Didn't Returns fail commercially because it already took itself too seriously?

number8
08-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Wait. Didn't Returns fail commercially because it already took itself too seriously?

But it wasn't dark and moody!

DavidSeven
08-22-2008, 09:11 PM
But it wasn't dark and moody!

Ah. Needs more emo:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/elloimbrandon/6gk15rs.gif

D_Davis
08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I want a Superman film in which he actually fights a real super villain, someone as strong and powerful as he is (not financially, but in terms of strength and kicking ass). Lex Luther is Lame, lame, lame. It's no coincidence that his name starts with the same letter as the word lame.

The fight between Neo and Agent Smith in Revolutions was farking awesome, and was a shining example of how super-powered fights should be done.

I want to see Superman and some super villain fighting like the dudes in Dragonball, leveling cities, and royally kicking the shit out of each other and their environment. Have them take the fight from the Earth into outer space, into a frickin' black hole, into another dimension and shit.

/damn

number8
08-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I want a Superman film in which he actually fights a real super villain, someone as strong and powerful as he is (not financially, but in terms of strength and kicking ass). Lex Luther is Lame, lame, lame. It's no coincidence that his name starts with the same letter as the word lame.

The fight between Neo and Agent Smith in Revolutions was farking awesome, and was a shining example of how super-powered fights should be done.

I want to see Superman and some super villain fighting like the dudes in Dragonball, leveling cities, and royally kicking the shit out of each other and their environment. Have them take the fight from the Earth into outer space, into a frickin' black hole, into another dimension and shit.

/damn

Meh.

Although this (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/633879/jlu_superman_vs_captain_marvel/) would be awesome to see.

transmogrifier
08-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I think Hollywood has stumbled across a new strategy - reboots. Remake every single summer blockbuster every 2-3 years. Sure, they've being doing that for decades by slapping a "2" or "Returns" on the end, but they've finally figured out the general public don't even need that veneer of "originality" to return to the trough.

Raiders
08-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Ugh. Spare me the ubermensch vs. ubermensch fights where all reason and humanity go completely out the window in favor of boring spectacle.

Watashi
08-23-2008, 12:05 AM

/damn
Uh, no. I have to agree with Raiders on this one. A Superman vs. Superman movie would be boring. We all saw how awful the final fight in The Incredible Hulk was. Lex Luthor is the perfect villain for Supes because he doesn't muscles to take him down but simple greed and intellect.

Winston*
08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Lex Luthor is awesome when he's Clancy Brown, lame when he's Kevin Spacey.

megladon8
08-23-2008, 12:23 AM
The end fight of The Incredible Hulk was awesome, as was the movie.

I really hope they don't re-cast Superman. Brandon Routh is pitch-perfect.

number8
08-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Lex Luthor is awesome when he's Clancy Brown, lame when he's Kevin Spacey.

I agree with this sentence.

I disagree with every sentence in this.

D_Davis
08-23-2008, 12:40 AM
You're all wrong.

megladon8
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I disagree with every sentence in this.

You didn't like Brandon Routh?

number8
08-23-2008, 01:29 AM

What's to like? I'm pretty sure he was CGI, anyway.

Milky Joe
08-23-2008, 01:40 AM

There is no one 'as strong and powerful' as Superman. Luthor is the super villain, and if he is lame then so is Batman.

And we all know that Batman is not lame.

D_Davis
08-23-2008, 01:41 AM
There is no one 'as strong and powerful' as Superman.

Then they should create someone, that's not made of kryptonite.

Milky Joe
08-23-2008, 01:43 AM
I suppose they could do Brainiac. I wouldn't mind seeing that in live-action form.

number8
08-23-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm trying to dig up an ooold breakdown I wrote a few years ago (pre-Returns) of my take on a Superman movie. Can't seem to find it.

transmogrifier
08-23-2008, 02:16 AM

I can't imagine anyone liking him.

Ezee E
08-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Why not just skip it all and go straight to the Death of Superman?

megladon8
08-23-2008, 03:09 AM
I can't imagine anyone liking him.

You don't like anything.

megladon8
08-23-2008, 03:16 AM
There seems to be a gross misunderstanding of Superman's powers.

He's vulnerable to lots of things, not just Kryptonite.

A good, hefty explosion will hurt him just fine.

Just look at Doomsday - killed him with a good old fashioned beatdown.

transmogrifier
08-23-2008, 03:29 AM
You don't like anything.

I don't necessarily think that's true, but if you want to lay down the gauntlet over Brandon Routh, all power to you. :)

megladon8
08-23-2008, 03:36 AM
I don't necessarily think that's true, but if you want to lay down the gauntlet over Brandon Routh, all power to you. :)

Did you like Christopher Reeve?

transmogrifier
08-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Did you like Christopher Reeve?

I've never seen the Reeve Superman movies. They're very, very low on my list of priorities.

megladon8
08-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I've never seen the Reeve Superman movies. They're very, very low on my list of priorities.

Well, the original Superman: The Movie is pretty much the definition of "movie magic" for me.

Different strokes.

Ezee E
08-23-2008, 04:09 AM
I don't know. Routh looks a lot like Reeve, but Reeve still had a personality with Superman when it was all said and done. Routh was the key for how boring the movie ended up being for me.

Plus, the Superboy...

Like I said, just go straight to The Death of Superman. It'll obviously be a dark film, it will cause a chaotic battle that D and others would approve of, and, with a few slight changes in the story, it would work just like Batman does. Perhaps making Lex Luther a person that's more of a gray area villain would be even better. I don't know the Superman character too much, not really a fan, but that would work for audiences.

Sxottlan
08-23-2008, 07:45 AM
How about if they just stop making Superman movies?

Please?

Morris Schæffer
08-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Is that really why it failed? Then why did The Dark Knight succeed?

I think one of the major routes to making Superman interesting again is to emphasize the idea that he cannot be in two places at the same time and that choices need to be made. I want him to come to terms with the poor souls he didn't save because he wasn't able to be in two places at the same time. Incidentally, this decision-making resulted in one of the best scenes in The Dark Knight although the Nolan movie consists only of best scenes.

When Superman failed to save Lois Lane at the end of Donner's Superman it was exactly what I was referring to. The "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" was absolutely heart-breaking, blood-curdling. A pity then that Superman was able to rewind time which I think was taking his powers a bit too far. Still, as Meg has said, it is sheer movie magic all the same.

Ivan Drago
08-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I agree with every sentence in this post. Come on, you gotta admit the part where Hulk tore out Abomination's elbow bone and beat him over the head with it was awesome.

Grouchy
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't like the original Superman movies, but I just wanted to say I don't like you either.

Anyway, back to what I said. You want big fights and tension? SUPERMAN EXILED IN SPACE FIGHTING IN THE CIRCUS WITH A BEARD. Plus, his powers will eventually disappear since he's away from the Earth's sun.

megladon8
08-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Not liking the original Superman movie is the equivalent of playing soccer with a baby.

Dukefrukem
08-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Not liking the original Superman movie is the equivalent of playing soccer with a baby.

I loled.

transmogrifier
08-24-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't like the original Superman movies, but I just wanted to say I don't like you either.

I assume this is meant to have an effect that in some way, somewhere along the line, through a series of closely linked cause-and-effect steps, leads to me caring in the slightest?

Ezee E
08-24-2008, 01:26 AM
I assume this is meant to have an effect that in some way, somewhere along the line, through a series of closely linked cause-and-effect steps, leads to me caring in the slightest?
You liked The Good Thief, so that's a step up on my list.

Grouchy
08-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I just wanted you to know, cockroach.

transmogrifier
08-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I just wanted you to know, cockroach.

They say that for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction.

Not so true.

number8
08-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Can't find that treatment of mine, but the more I recall it, the more I realize how similar it was to The Dark Knight (not as good, though). It's actually very odd like that. It goes a little something like this...

My take on Superman was mostly going to examine his (non) omnipotence, and how his biggest weakness as a hero is his heart. The story starts with Lois and Clark working together on a story that would expose Luthor--in my take a "legitimate" businessman--as corrupting state money and donations for his Lexlife rehab center. A big bulk of the first act is Superman going around the world saving people, fearing that his failure would be very damaging to people's hope and faith, while Lois develops a relationship with the family of a former alcoholic named John Corben for a story on the rehab center. Corben is angry at Luthor for shortchanging people like him. Lois makes the mistake of assuring him that no one in Metropolis should worry about injustice, because Superman is there for them.

Luthor, deciding to close down Lexlife and reap the benefits, stages a fight between Superman and a group of terrorists in front of Lexlife, planning for the destruction of the building to humiliate Supes (and then collect the insurance money). At some point during the battle, Supes is forced to choose between stopping a bullet to Lois' head or a bomb in the building. Superman chooses Lois. Hundreds of patients and their families in Lexlife die, including John Corben and his family. Corben, however, pull through out of sheer anger for what's happened. Him being the sole survivor, Luthor quickly grabs press by publicly announcing that he will spare no cost saving Corben's life, putting him through Lexcorp's advanced robotics department. Luthor gives Corben a metal endoskeleton, which helps him live but also gives him extra strength as well. Sadly, his new body prevents him from feeling touch or tasting anything. Corben feels truly alone, and in his grief he blames Superman--with some egging from Luthor, of course, who convinces Corben that Lois Lane is just some Pulitzer-hound hack who likes to character assassinate people for glory and that she used him dry and lied to him. Corben asks Luthor to give him the opportunity to have a peace of mind. With a smile, Luthor retools Corben's robot body into one equipped with weapons and powered by Kryptonite.

Corben goes after Lois first, naturally, to teach Superman a lesson before killing him. He doesn't know that Lois has told Superman that they need to break it off between them, since she's obviously impairing on his judgment in saving people. Superman starts feeling worse and worse. He flies to Smallville to consult his parents, who are unable to save him. Walking about town, he meets his old friend Pete Ross, who runs his own hardware store. Clark asks Pete if he's ever felt ashamed for not leaving Smallville after always talking about moving to the big city and being somebody back in high school. Pete tells Clark that he's happily engaged and that that's all that matters. A man can't live his life to what people expect of him, he can only live the life he has the best way he can. Clark thanks Pete and, gaining a new perspective, returns to Metropolis just in time for a battle with Corben.

Superman tries to reason with Corben, he apologizes for his family and tells him that ultimately, the responsibility of his fate is in Corben himself. Corben perceives this as an insult and starts the fight. In the ensuing brawl, Supes is once again forced to pick between Lois and a crowd of innocents. This time, he chooses to save the civilians. Corben shoots Lois in the gut. Superman goes after Corben and angrily punches a hole through Corben's chest, ripping out the Kryptonite core. Both Supes and Corben are knocked unconscious, allowing cops and paramedics to step in.

Later, Corben wakes up in the hospital on a life support system. The doctor tell him that if he doesn't get the Metallo technology again, he'll die in two weeks. Corben calls Luthor for help, but Luthor denies taking any part in weaponizing the robot body and even sues Corben for copyright infringement and misuse of his tech. Realizing his error and accepting his death, Corben asks to see his family's grave before he dies, but the doctors tell him that he's stuck to the life support machine. Superman steps in and lifts Corben's bed and equipments to the cemetery, where Corben says his farewell and asks Superman for his forgiveness. Supes, of course, gives it. The next day, a wheelchair-bound Lois shows up at Corben's hospital room. Corben tries to apologize, but Lois tells him to shut up and that if he's truly remorseful, he'll help her expose Luthor as the evil fuck that he is. Corben agrees and Lois pulls out a tape recorder.

The final scene is a confrontation at the Lexcorp penthouse office, where Superman menacingly floats outside Luthor's window. Supes tells him that his days are numbered, but Luthor laughs it off, saying that his lawyers are already working on a cushy settlement. Superman grits his teeth, his eyes glowing red. Luthor gleefully taunts Supes to break through the glass and kill him, telling him that if he kills Luthor, then all his theory of Superman being an egomaniac with a Messiah complex is true. If not, then they're going to do this same dance over and over and over. Superman simply replies that just as only yourself can save you, same goes with destroying yourself.

Moral: Remember, kids, the key to saving yourself is in your heart, not in some mythical savior.

Skitch
08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm with you, meg.

Skitch
08-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd be totally game for that to be the next Supes flick, 8.

Grouchy
08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd watch that movie.

They'll never make it, but I'd watch it.

number8
08-26-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd totally watch it too. :D

Why wouldn't they make it, you think?

megladon8
08-26-2008, 04:03 AM
I wrote a Superman script three years ago. The formatting is all off, but it's some of my best writing I think. My best dialogue, for sure.

It was about Superman never really being human, in his own form or as Clark Kent. And I was greatly inspired by movies like Spider-Man 2 and Batman Begins, with their use of the villain being a metaphor for the hero's personal struggles.

I should fix it up.

Grouchy
08-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Too dark and somber. Heh.

It's too gritty a story, not in surface, but because of its implications (Superman letting people die because he's in love) and the ending, with Lois Lane on a wheelchair and Luthor not getting what he deserves on camera.

Skitch
08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd totally watch it too. :D

Because they're dumb?

:)

Ivan Drago
08-26-2008, 02:49 PM

Okay, NOW you're being unreasonable.

Skitch
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, NOW you're being unreasonable.

I agree. Disliking the original Superman is more like a playing golf with a baby as the ball.

megladon8
09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I wish they'd give this to Steven Spielberg.

I bet he could make a wonderful Superman movie.

Ezee E
09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I wish they'd give this to Steven Spielberg.

I bet he could make a wonderful Superman movie.
He's got better things on his plate.

megladon8
09-05-2008, 12:35 AM
He's got better things on his plate.

Fine, but I'm just saying - it'd be a great match.

The Mike
09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
SuperheroHype just ran a poll on who people would pick to direct a Superman flick, and out of a list of 20ish names, none of them sounded good to me.

Here's the list:
Brad Bird
Bryan Singer
Doug Liman
Francis Lawrence
Gore Verbinski
James Cameron
Jon Favreau
Louis Leterrier
Martin Campbell
Michael Bay
Steven Spielberg
Peter Berg
Peter Jackson
Richard Donner
Timur Bekmambetov
Zack Snyder

I just don't think any of those make sense. I think that, for the series to succeed, the best option is a new face who cares about the material and wouldn't mind making it fun again.

Ezee E
09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Tasmir Singh.

Winston*
09-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Gaspar Noé

Ezee E
09-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Gaspar Noé
Jean-Pierre Melville

I win.

Winston*
09-05-2008, 07:03 AM
How is that a win? I'm not sure I understand the rules of this contest.

Also, James Whale.

transmogrifier
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Todd Solondz

megladon8
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I actually like quite a few of those choices.

Watashi
10-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Empire Online talked to Mark Millar (Wanted, upcoming Kick-Ass) more about his proposed "Superman" epic. Here are several clips from the article:

Mark has been working closely with a 'big-Hollywood action director' – who he refuses to name at this stage – on a pitch for what he is calling the Magnum Opus of Superman stories. His idea is for an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, in a Lord of the Rings fashion.

"I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."

You can read the entire interview here (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23521).

This would have been cool if these things were ever cool to begin with.

10 bucks says 'big-Hollywood action director' is either Peter Berg or Francis Lawerence.

DavidSeven
10-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds completely and utterly uninteresting.

number8
10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
What a dumb idea. An entire movie about Krypton about to blow up and Superman just a baby? Who the hell wants to see that?

The animated series did it for the first chapter in their 3-part pilot, but that was, like, 22 minutes. He's talking about 2.5 hours for each movie.

Mark Millar talks a lot of shit about nothing.

number8
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Wait, I read that wrong. Nevermind. It's still a dumb idea to do it that way.

Ezee E
10-29-2008, 09:47 PM
I say HBO should invest in one of these and just have a landmark miniseries.

Not particularly that idea, but something along those lines since every franchise seems to need 3 movies now.

number8
10-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I say HBO should invest in one of these and just have a landmark miniseries.

Not particularly that idea, but something along those lines since every franchise seems to need 3 movies now.

The new head of HBO is an idiot for passing on Preacher. I really think it would have rejuvenated the network.

Grouchy
10-30-2008, 01:50 AM
The new head of HBO is an idiot for passing on Preacher. I really think it would have rejuvenated the network.
Since I've recently re-read Preacher I've been thinking about that HBO series idea a lot. I actually think there are pros and cons to it:

Pros is simply that it's a great story with awesome characters, dynamic, irreverent sense of humor, and seems to have a bit of the TV series format already in its comic-book form. In fact, you can clearly tell apart the "seasons" with their grand finales.

Cons is that it all fits together so wonderfully that it requires a lot more attention than your average TV series. Stuff from Season 1 would only show its relevance again in the final season, like the fact that Cassidy was once a heroin user. And the background stories of all of the characters sort of require their own episodes. So you would tune in Preacher one day and, if it's the Saint of Killers story, you would have a western, if it's the Starr story you would have a conspiracy theory parody, if it's the Tulip story it would be a slow-paced growing up drama!

So, the concept would be both awesome to watch and way too challenging for TV. Even for HBO.

Mark Millar is just bat-shit insane.

number8
10-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Actually, Garth Ennis was writing new stories for the show, so people who'd read the comics would get something new too. That probably bugged me the most about the drop.

megladon8
10-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Speaking of which... (http://match-cut.org/showthread.php?p=108238#post10 8238)

Acapelli
10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
they should just do what richard donner said and give supes to geoff johns

megladon8
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Ugh. (http://www.moviehole.net/200917658-mcgs-superman-returns)

Sycophant
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I just realized I've never seen a McG film. Guess I don't actually have a reason to dislike him. Glad we got Singer's version, though.

Speaking of which, is Singer's sequel gonna happen? Haven't heard anything in a while.

megladon8
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I just realized I've never seen a McG film. Guess I don't actually have a reason to dislike him. Glad we got Singer's version, though.

Speaking of which, is Singer's sequel gonna happen? Haven't heard anything in a while.

Probably not.

The studio was really unimpressed with it (ie, it didn't make enough money).

I've heard that if they do bring Singer back, it will be with the budget pretty much cut in half, and they'll demand it is faster paced and with more action.

Those two changes seem to counter each other, though. More action, smaller budget? Huh?

I thought Singer's film was magical, and I totally "got" what he was going for. I felt he and I were very much on the same wave-length there. It was like saying "OK, we want to reboot the franchise, but before we do anything drastic let's just honor these childhood-defining films one more time".

I would love to see another Singer/Routh collaboration. It seems to be an unpopuler opinion, but I thought Routh was wonderful.

Acapelli
02-09-2009, 08:36 PM
routh was the best part of superman returns

everything else wasn't so good

number8
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Those two changes seem to counter each other, though. More action, smaller budget? Huh?

Not quite. Returns cost a boatload because it had a massive scope and CGs everywhere. The Kryptonite island, the Fortress of Solitude, Metropolis disaster... They can have the sequel be Superman and one other dude beating the crap out of each other for 30 minutes. Less budget, more action.

megladon8
02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I always thought CG was supposed to save money.

number8
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I still have Abrams' script somewhere.

Sycophant
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I think I still have Abrams' script somewhere.

How was it?

megladon8
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
How was it?

Utter shit.

DavidSeven
02-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I just realized I've never seen a McG film. Guess I don't actually have a reason to dislike him.

Being white and going by the alias "McG" isn't enough?

Ezee E
02-10-2009, 03:28 AM
I always thought CG was supposed to save money.
Unless it's creating entire worlds.

D_Davis
02-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Guys, there is nothing to worry about.

From the article Meg posted:

Fraser, who was a signature away from a deal, says McG's film would've been far superior to Singer's.

See? McG's film is going to be better. Fraser has his back.

number8
02-10-2009, 05:11 AM
How was it?

Let's just say that the twist ending is either retarded or the most awesome idea ever. But no, not really, it's mostly retarded.

Sycophant
02-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Being white and going by the alias "McG" isn't enough?Huh. Somehow all this time I thought he was black.

That does make things worse.

D_Davis
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Huh. Somehow all this time I thought he was black.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/Hallick5/thats_racist_animated.gif
(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/Hallick5/thats_racist_animated.gif)

Sycophant
02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I think it's because I first heard his name while looking at a picture of Bernie Mac (Charlie's Angels 2). There's also not a long tradition of white entertainers adopting a one-word pseudo-name pseudonym as their professional name.

number8
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I think it's because I first heard his name while looking at a picture of Bernie Mac (Charlie's Angels 2). There's also not a long tradition of white entertainers adopting a one-word pseudo-name pseudonym as their professional name.

True, they're usually Thai (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1126346/).

lovejuice
02-10-2009, 10:07 PM
True, they're usually Thai (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1126346/).

that's happen to be his real name though. ;) it means "knowledge."

number8
02-10-2009, 10:19 PM
that's happen to be his real name though. ;) it means "knowledge."

It's a shortening of his name. So is McG (from McGinty).

Watashi
02-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Could we be seeing a Wachowskis-helmed Superman? (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/11/the-wachowski-brothers-to-direct-superman-reboot/#more-19656)

Sycophant
02-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Could we be seeing a Wachowskis-helmed Superman? (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/11/the-wachowski-brothers-to-direct-superman-reboot/#more-19656)

Pre-Speed Racer I would have resisted this notion, were I to register any reaction at all.

But if I'm not getting a Singer Superman movie, I would love to see the Wachowskis take a stab at the material. I'm so down for this.

megladon8
02-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I say that if they can't get Bryan Singer back, they get someone like Michel Gondry to make a 2 hour music video for Sufjan Stevens' song "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts".

Dukefrukem
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM
woohoo. Slow motion Superman!

Watashi
02-21-2009, 03:22 AM
The Wachowski's rumor was debunked and the title is officially now Superman Unleashed.

Sycophant
02-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Slash Film article about this (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/20/exclusive-superman-returns-sequel-to-be-titled-superman-unleashed/).

Last sequel to go with the "Unleashed" moniker? Benji.

Crossing fingers for a crossover over here.

Sycophant
02-21-2009, 03:36 AM
So, given the disavowal of Singer's Superman, and the studios' apparent desire to pretty much take the franchise 180 (at the urging of slobbering fans), I'm pretty sure that I'm going to hate whatever the fuck this turns into.

Unless the "heights of action" described on Revolution's website leak means they intend to go completely crazy with the action and have Superman, like, ripping people's hearts out and shit. I probably would still hate it but it'd at least be interesting.

[/SUPER SPECULATION!]

megladon8
02-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Worst. Title. Ever.

The Mike
02-21-2009, 04:09 AM
How can you unleash the guy who already has too many powers? Mind control over sharks? Laser urine? The ability to shoot rabid poodles from his fingertips?

Inquiring Mikes want to know!

Sycophant
02-21-2009, 04:11 AM
The ability to shoot rabid poodles from his fingertips?

Not as useful as you might expect. :sad: [/speaking from experience]

DavidSeven
02-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Can't wait for the energy drink tie-in. Or maybe a new Mountain Dew flavor.

megladon8
02-21-2009, 04:24 AM
I have a feeling my script - "Superman: A New Dawn" - would be infinitely better than anything Mark Millar comes up with, or anything Superman Unleashed could/may turn out to be.

Dukefrukem
02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
What an awful title.

Raiders
02-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Slash Film article about this (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/20/exclusive-superman-returns-sequel-to-be-titled-superman-unleashed/).

Last sequel to go with the "Unleashed" moniker? Benji.

Crossing fingers for a crossover over here.

What about Ginger Snaps?

Acapelli
02-22-2009, 02:40 AM
I have a feeling my script - "Superman: A New Dawn" - would be infinitely better than anything Mark Millar comes up with, or anything Superman Unleashed could/may turn out to be.
mark millar is a great ideas guy, at least give him credit for that

Ezee E
02-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Even duke doesn't like it. That's how bad it is.

transmogrifier
02-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Even duke doesn't like it. That's how bad it is.

I was going to go for meg, but yeah.....:)

megladon8
02-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I was going to go for meg, but yeah.....:)

Yes, I'm known for having such horrible taste. :rolleyes:

Acapelli
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes, I'm known for having such horrible taste. :rolleyes:
well i think trans may be referring to your intense love of superman

MadMan
02-22-2009, 08:57 PM
So this project is going to suck? Oy.

megladon8
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
mark millar is a great ideas guy, at least give him credit for that

But isn't he writing the full script(s)?

If he was the story man and they got someone else to do the fleshed-out writing, I wouldn't be so worried.

And still, that title...GAH!

Acapelli
02-23-2009, 12:00 AM
But isn't he writing the full script(s)?

If he was the story man and they got someone else to do the fleshed-out writing, I wouldn't be so worried.

And still, that title...GAH!
is he? i just thought it'd be a story thing

and that title is awful. they should have just used man of steel

Dead & Messed Up
02-23-2009, 12:06 AM
So it was a kryptonite leash, I assume. Otherwise, I find the title a bit silly.

Unless Superman's into S&M.

:eek:

megladon8
02-23-2009, 02:44 AM
I still think this whole idea of a "darker, grittier Superman" is totally retarded.

This is one character and universe for whome "darker" does not equate better.

Superman is about hope, the goodness in humanity, and how everyone is just as powerful and indellible in spirit as Kal-El - after all, it is from humanity that Superman got his sense of right and wrong, and his courage to stand for what is right and just.

Gritty just doesn't fit.

The Mike
02-23-2009, 04:41 AM
I hope they redo the Clark Kent vs. Superman junkyard battle from Superman III in this one. That would work. :lol:

transmogrifier
02-23-2009, 04:57 AM
well i think trans may be referring to your intense love of superman

That makes sense.

Sycophant
02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
That said, I think this is just a working title. It does not bode well.

But they're looking for scripts. It could end up being something fresh and exciting!

Guys, this could be the best movie ever.

Kurosawa Fan
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
The dancing smilies in your signature are throwing me off. I keep thinking there will be something you're excited about in your posts. And I'm fooled every time.

Sycophant
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
It's actually even more annoying than I thought it would be; I'm kind of getting a headache when I look at my own posts (which I do often). But I'll be sticking with it for at least the rest of the day.

:|

megladon8
08-14-2009, 05:14 PM
So it's official. The Siegels won the rights to Superman and all related properties, so WB has to make a new Superman movie before 2013 or else they lose their chance.

number8
08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
They haven't won the rights yet, just some of the early work.

The Court finds that plaintiffs have successfully recaptured (and are co-owners of) the rights to the following works: (1) Action Comics No. 1 (subject to the limitations set forth in the Court's previous Order); (2) Action Comics No. 4; (3) Superman No. 1, pages three through six, and (4) the initial two weeks' worth of Superman daily newspaper strips. Ownership in the remainder of the Superman material at issue that was published from 1938 to 1943 remains solely with defendants.

Dukefrukem
09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
We actually don't have any current plans for Superman,

hmm

Dukefrukem
02-09-2010, 03:08 PM
ive been at a training facility all week so i dont know if there is another thread on this anywhere...but big news

Warner Bros is trying to ready its DC Comics stalwart Superman to soar again on the Big Screen, and the studio has turned to Chris Nolan to mentor development of the movie. Our insiders say that the brains behind rebooted Batman has been asked to play a "godfather" role and ensure The Man Of Steel gets off the ground after a 3 1/2-year hiatus.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

number8
02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I just love that way of thinking. "He knew Batman. Surely he knows what makes Superman tick too!"

Acapelli
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I just love that way of thinking. "He knew Batman. Surely he knows what makes Superman tick too!"
yeah, terrible idea

probably

why don't they just get geoff johns or grant morrison to do a superman treatment. they've already got them working on other dc films

megladon8
02-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that Christopher and Jonathan Nolan will know how to do it properly. They've given me more than enough reason to have faith in them and their creative process.

Spun Lepton
02-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Singer's good treatment of X-Men didn't save his Superman from being an utter bore, so we can only see. Nolan seems like a decent pick, though.

megladon8
02-10-2010, 01:12 AM
It really does make me sad that Brandon Routh won't return.

He was so perfect.

Skitch
02-10-2010, 01:37 AM
It really does make me sad that Brandon Routh won't return.

He was so perfect.
I agree, though I won't believe any rumors till there's solid evidence.

megladon8
02-25-2010, 01:16 AM
David Goyer is officially writing the script. (http://www.cinematical.com/2010/02/24/superman-to-fly-again-david-goyer-writing-new-movie/)

He says he's scaling Superman way back - he will no longer have inexplicable powers like being able to travel faster than light speed, erasing memories, etc.

While that sounds awesome, I can't help but be worried by the fact that it's David Goyer. The guy's an awful writer when he's not accompanied by someone else.

He has great ideas, but can't actually execute them well at all.

Dead & Messed Up
02-25-2010, 01:20 AM
David Goyer is officially writing the script. (http://www.cinematical.com/2010/02/24/superman-to-fly-again-david-goyer-writing-new-movie/)

He says he's scaling Superman way back - he will no longer have inexplicable powers like being able to travel faster than light speed, erasing memories, etc.

While that sounds awesome, I can't help but be worried by the fact that it's David Goyer. The guy's an awful writer when he's not accompanied by someone else.

He has great ideas, but can't actually execute them well at all.

Yeah...I primarily blame him for some of my issues with the script for Batman "Fear-Theme!" Begins.

megladon8
02-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah...I primarily blame him for some of my issues with the script for Batman "Fear-Theme!" Begins.

Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were heavy-handed with their themes, but I found it suited them quite well.

I know you've defended The Dark Knight's "theme spouting" in the past - what about Batman Begins bothered you that wasn't in the sequel?

Sycophant
02-25-2010, 01:27 AM
It's actually even more annoying than I thought it would be; I'm kind of getting a headache when I look at my own posts (which I do often). But I'll be sticking with it for at least the rest of the day.

:|

Bump missed the anniversary of this post by ONE DAY. :sad:

Dead & Messed Up
02-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were heavy-handed with their themes, but I found it suited them quite well.

I know you've defended The Dark Knight's "theme spouting" in the past - what about Batman Begins bothered you that wasn't in the sequel?

Because the Joker is the only one really spouting themes, and it made sense on a character level, because he sees himself as an embodiment of an idea. And when Harvey Two-Face starts spouting ("It's about what's fair!"), it's only after the Joker has twisted him completely into a similar persona dominated by an ideal.

I just get a little irritated that the Scarecrow talks about the power of fear, R'as talks about the power of fear, Bruce's dad advises him against fear, Bruce turns "fear on the fearful," Carmine Falcone maintains that "you always fear what you don't understand." It feels like everyone's read the same pamphlet - Fear: An Emotion.

Grouchy
03-02-2010, 06:57 AM
I just get a little irritated that the Scarecrow talks about the power of fear, R'as talks about the power of fear, Bruce's dad advises him against fear, Bruce turns "fear on the fearful," Carmine Falcone maintains that "you always fear what you don't understand." It feels like everyone's read the same pamphlet - Fear: An Emotion.
This is very true and it stands out considerably when one is a nerd and has seem the movie more than twice.

Dukefrukem
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
This is very true and it stands out considerably when one is a nerd and has seem the movie more than twice.

It also makes me want to hate both movies now... thanks a lot D&MU. :frustrated:

Grouchy
03-02-2010, 07:31 PM
So what's this movie going to be about, anyway?

I'd like to see a Superman Returns prequel that shows what Supes did during his exile. I've always loved the storyline where he's a gladiator fighting in War World for Mongul:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-comics-2006/1307-1.jpg

Dead & Messed Up
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
It also makes me want to hate both movies now... thanks a lot D&MU. :frustrated:

Aw, there's nothing to fear, Duke.

Ivan Drago
03-02-2010, 09:59 PM
So what's this movie going to be about, anyway?

Red Son!

The Mike
03-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Who's directing/writing this one this week? I've been away.

Spun Lepton
03-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Who's directing/writing this one this week? I've been away.

Does it matter? It's going to be empty drama, regardless.

/prepares for the fallout

number8
03-03-2010, 03:17 AM
I will bomb WB to the ground if they make Red Son into a movie.

Ivan Drago
03-03-2010, 03:40 AM
I will bomb WB to the ground if they make Red Son into a movie.

Yup, I was being sarcastic when I said that earlier. Thought I'd throw it out there though lol. I read the book for the first time 3 months ago and loved it...I still don't know what to think of the ending though.

Dukefrukem
09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
For Meg:

Seems Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are in the process of meeting with a short list of potential directors for their currently-in-development SUPERMAN project, after which they'll make a formal recommendation to Warner Bros.

The contenders are:

Tony Scott (pleaseeeee nooooooo), Matt Reeves (CLOVERFIELD, LET ME IN), Jonathan Liebesman (THE KILLING ROOM, 2006's TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE sequel, BATTLE: LOS ANGELES, and the forthcoming CLASH OF THE TITANS follow-up), Duncan Jones (SOURCE CODE, MOON), and Zack Snyder (WATCHMEN, the upcoming SUCKER PUNCH, 300).

Most want? Jones (although I also think Reeves would do well... )

Least want? Scott!!!!!

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/chris-nolan-looking-for-superman-director/

megladon8
09-24-2010, 03:05 PM
That list is pretty unimpressive. What happened to it being Jonathan Nolan's directorial debut?

This makes me sad.

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2010, 03:55 PM
That list doesn't inspire confidence, but then Bryan Singer did. Nonetheless, Matt Reeves is racking up some serious acclaim for his "Let me In." The ain't it cool review is frankly, glowing.

Reeves is someone few have seen coming. Still considered by most to be nothing more than a shaky camera obsessed J.J. Abrams understudy, the truth is far more unexpected; he is an up and coming genre master. LET ME IN is a visually arresting masterpiece of modern horror; easily the best looking horror film of the modern era. It is as if Kubrick met Spielberg by way of Mark Romanek. Every shot is a painstakingly arranged, slow moving painting, letting the innocent horror of the scene wash over you. Reeves makes a number of bold choices, including a decision to never let the camera see the mother – always keeping her just out of frame or focus to keep her both mysterious and ominous in her own right – keeping us as separated from her as the protagonist Owen is. The film is great choice after great choice, seeded with visual cues and the occasional joke (including a pot pie that will make horror fans squeal with delight.)

Duncan Jones might be a great choice. Greatly look forward to Source Code.

So that's actually two potentially great candidates.

Ezee E
09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Snyder's name has been around that for quite a while. Wouldn't surprise me if he got it since he's basically done with Sucker Punch.

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2010, 04:01 PM
They really need to play the angle that supes cannot be in two places at the same time and as a result of that they need to show people bite it. And they need to show Supes being absolutely miserable because of that.

That's an angle right there.

Acapelli
09-24-2010, 04:26 PM
They really need to play the angle that supes cannot be in two places at the same time and as a result of that they need to show people bite it. And they need to show Supes being absolutely miserable because of that.

i'm sorry, but this would be awful

superman isn't spider-man

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2010, 04:47 PM
i'm sorry, but this would be awful

superman isn't spider-man

Absurd. That's his weakness, his real failing as a superhero, to be that powerful, but still needing to make choices. Isn't it time the movies moved past kryptonite as the primary villain?

Superman 1978, one of my faves, would have ended with one hell of an uppercut had it ended with Supes carrying the dead body of Lois Lane and him screaming his lungs out. But then the impossible happens. Still love the movie dearly, always will, but the key to making a really interesting Superman movie can be found in that sequence. Superman Returns, decent it may have been, had a scene with Superman saving an airliner from certain destruction. But while he may have carried it relatively intact to terra firma, it would still be possible for passenger to be mortally wounded on the way down. There are possibilities there.

number8
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that's not a good idea. At this point, Superman already knows that he can't be everywhere at once. He wouldn't be a sane person if he had to worry about that. To introduce that dilemma would just ring incredibly false.

Plus, angsty miserable Superman? Yeech.

Morris Schæffer
09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that's not a good idea. At this point, Superman already knows that he can't be everywhere at once. He wouldn't be a sane person if he had to worry about that. To introduce that dilemma would just ring incredibly false.

Plus, angsty miserable Superman? Yeech.

I don't think that the point is that he knows this, but that the movies have barely scraped the surface of this. Why would it ring false dude? Aren't they starting over with these movies? And he can still be cool and awesome and all of those things. Batman didn't save Rachel, certainly didn't look too upbeat after the ordeal, but soldiered on. Which is what superheroes do.

Got another question. Since I've had it with Lex Luthor being the defacto villain, who would be next in line as the second coolest Superman adversary?

Milky Joe
09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Brainiac.

Acapelli
09-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Brainiac.
this

megladon8
09-25-2010, 12:28 AM
I just don't like the idea of a miserable Superman.

It bugs me that people seem to think that the only way a film can be "emotional" these days is if it makes you want to kill yourself.

It worked for Batman because he is an intrinsically dark character in a dark universe.

Superman is fairly bright and colourful. Of the dozens of masterful stories I've read featuring The Man of Steel, I could count on one hand the number that were downers.

Dark, gritty and depressing =/= depth and emotion.

Ezee E
09-25-2010, 12:33 AM
I just don't like the idea of a miserable Superman.

It bugs me that people seem to think that the only way a film can be "emotional" these days is if it makes you want to kill yourself.

It worked for Batman because he is an intrinsically dark character in a dark universe.

Superman is fairly bright and colourful. Of the dozens of masterful stories I've read featuring The Man of Steel, I could count on one hand the number that were downers.

Dark, gritty and depressing =/= depth and emotion.
But you liked the Singer version of Superman which was just that.

Watashi
09-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Superman Returns was dark and gritty?

Watashi
09-25-2010, 12:47 AM

You mean like what they did decades ago in Donner's Superman?

"All those things I can do. All those powers. And I couldn't even save him."

megladon8
09-25-2010, 01:06 AM
But you liked the Singer version of Superman which was just that.

No it wasn't. At all.

Ezee E
09-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Not gritty, but certainly dark with plenty of Superman moping moments.

Raiders
09-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Not gritty, but certainly dark with plenty of Superman moping moments.

Not really.

megladon8
09-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I didn't get that from it either.

Acapelli
09-25-2010, 06:35 AM
the best moments in recent superman history have been the the pa kent death scenes in morrison's all star superman and johns' action comics. and he didn't even mope after that

Morris Schæffer
09-25-2010, 08:51 AM
You mean like what they did decades ago in Donner's Superman?

"All those things I can do. All those powers. And I couldn't even save him."

The "him" being his surrogate dad played by Glenn Ford? Admittedly, I had forgotten about that, but then at the end he rewound time by flying around the earth so that kinda negated that earlier scene a little bit.

But you're right. That was a great reflective moment now that I think about it. But I guess I'm just looking for an interesting adversary and I'm just no longer crazy about someone grabbing a stick of kryptonite and shoving it in Superman's face.

There was a great scene in Superman 2 where Clark got his ass kicked in a bar because some time before that he had given up his powers. That made him look so vulnerable, so human.

True, it was equally cool when he returned to the bar later and, with powers restored, proceeded to kick the guys ass.

But whatever, they don't need to go overboard with the grit and misery, but I'd like to see more stuff like the one you brought up.

Morris Schæffer
09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Robert Zemeckis also in the running to helm this? I gotta say, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

DavidSeven
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Huh. Apparently Affleck was offered helming duties on this at Nolan's suggestion, but turned it down. Saw the item on the short snippet written for The Town on Deadline's weekend B.O. rundown (http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/first-box-office-social-network-27m) and Google seems to confirm.

Ezee E
10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Who would be the ideal person to direct this anyway? I picture a good-great action director with a good sense of humor.

Coen Brothers, but that would never work...

Sam Raimi? Even though he already did Spider-Man?
Edgar Wright?
Rian Johnson?

Ivan Drago
10-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Rian Johnson?

Does the E in your username stand for Eternity?

megladon8
10-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I still think it would have been cool for Jonathan Nolan to make it his directorial debut, under guidance by Christopher.

number8
10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I've always thought John Ford would be the greatest Superman director of all time.

transmogrifier
10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Guy Ritchie

number8
10-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Guy Ritchie

Stop trollin'.

Henry Gale
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
It's Zack Snyder. (http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/zack-snyder-directing-superman/)

Acapelli
10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
ugh

megladon8
10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, that's a letdown.

megladon8
10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Expect lots of super-fast-to-super-slow motion shots, and Lois Lane will probably get naked at some point.

And her nude scene will be super slo-mo. And set to a NIN song.

[ETM]
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Good tweet: "I'd rather have Snyder direct THE FLASH, because then it would be about a guy moving at normal speed."

megladon8
10-04-2010, 10:57 PM
;291256']Good tweet: "I'd rather have Snyder direct THE FLASH, because then it would be about a guy moving at normal speed."

:lol:

That is pretty slick.

Dukefrukem
10-04-2010, 11:00 PM
At least it will happen now... right? That's about the only positive I can think of at the moment.

megladon8
10-04-2010, 11:02 PM
At least it will happen now... right? That's about the only positive I can think of at the moment.

Pretty much.

And hey, you know, it could actually end up being good if they have a solid script.

I was just really hoping for someone a little...I don't know...classier.

Dukefrukem
10-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Totally understand. Superman is your thing. I'd be pissed if Snyder was directing the next Evil Dead. :-o (or Spider-man for that matter)

Watashi
10-04-2010, 11:24 PM
I think Znyder will do a good job.

DavidSeven
10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Makes sense. A good choice to appeal to the masses. I'm guessing he has significant bro' cred with 300, Watchmen, and soon Sucker-Punch under his belt. And if there's one thing they want to do after Super Sensitive Returns, it's bring back the bros to Superman. His footage will probably make for a very appealing trailer too.

But it won't be interesting.

Watashi
10-04-2010, 11:38 PM
General Zod is confirmed to be the villain.

Ezee E
10-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll admit to liking the visuals of everything that he has done so far. I love Dawn of the Dead, and Watchmen has some stellar moments but is just too long for its own good. 300... Well, it was a great looking trailer.

Watashi
10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Considering there is no way WB is making a R-rated Superman, we can assume the gratuitous sex and violence will be left out.

Ezee E
10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Patrick Wilson for Superman?

I'm inventing the rumor solely on him being in Watchmen, but I like that idea.