PDA

View Full Version : The Card Counter

Ezee E
09-14-2021, 04:09 AM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SA4AAOSwZR5hFyub/s-l300.jpg

WIKI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Card_Counter)

Ezee E
09-14-2021, 04:10 AM
This could be one of the best movies of the year.

Until it really isn't.

Oscar Isaac + Paul Schrader make sense for each other though.

Idioteque Stalker
09-17-2021, 12:37 AM
Apart from Schrader's involvement this couldn't look more generic. But coming off of First Reformed... I'll probably watch it. Oscar Isaac isn't the pull he looked to be coming off of Inside Llewyn Davis and Ex Machina.

Irish
09-17-2021, 07:29 AM
Complicated movie and I don't know what to make of it --- it's one of those things that doesn't slide easily along some fresh/rotten axis --- but E's post above sums up the experience perfectly.

First hour == wow, this might be the best thing i've seen all year
Second hour == what the...
Ending == wait, why did i want to see this anyhow?

Still think it's worth it. Weighty, contemporary, sleazoid drama with some good themes was refreshing. Plus, ace performances all around.

Ezee E
09-18-2021, 04:30 AM
Plus, ace performances all around.

hehehehe

Idioteque Stalker
09-29-2021, 02:37 AM
... don't touch through the glass, don't touch through the glass, please please don't touch.... FUCKING HELL

It's a nay from me. Isaac was good though.

Pop Trash
10-04-2021, 04:38 AM
... don't touch through the glass, don't touch through the glass, please please don't touch.... FUCKING HELL

It's a nay from me. Isaac was good though.

Doubling down on the Pickpocket ending. I enjoyed how long he held that shot.

Peng
01-23-2022, 12:49 PM
Might have been better if Schrader went more Bresson-austere and significantly pared down the two other characters to let it be just mainly the Oscar Isaac show, as his blossoming romance with Tiffany Haddish feels half-hearted (though it does have some lovely isolated moments), and his relationship with Tye Sheridan I find downright terrible and unconvincing in its writing, and it's unfortunately a large part of the film's endgame. The parts that are just the Oscar Isaac show are good though, and his performance excellent. 5.5/10