PDA

View Full Version : Mare of Easttown

Ezee E
05-19-2021, 04:41 AM
In which, I'll watch an episode and predict who did it... in spoilers.

Ezee E
05-19-2021, 04:43 AM
Episode 1 -
Somewhere between a cross of Sharp Objects and True Detective, this seems like something I'm going to dig.

LOLed at seeing Guy Pearce pop up. Definitely sticks out in this city, but I guess it fits.

Oh, and I doubt I've seen the kidnapper/murderer so far.

Ezee E
05-19-2021, 05:20 AM
Episode 2:
Gotta love smalltown drama.

Gonna be the Priest or the Deacon.... Why else have that scene?

Ezee E
05-20-2021, 01:05 PM
All caught up, and this show... EVERYONE is a LIAR!

I like that it subverts the typical twists of stories as of late.

The killer is STILL the Deacon, using some analogy that "God" killed the girl and it wasn't him. But no idea what to say for the ex-boyfriend

quido8_5
05-20-2021, 11:28 PM
This is tantalizing! I want to watch so bad, but can't find the time. Argghhh, I want to open the spoilers almost as bad as I want to see Kate Winslet in this role.

Scar
05-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Love this show.

Philip J. Fry
05-24-2021, 02:29 AM
LOL'd at that funeral

Ezee E
05-25-2021, 02:32 AM
Penultimate episode and my thoughts on Guy Pearce is:

This must be what females feel like they get in roles all the time

OR

IT'S HIM. IT'S HIM! Why the hell else would he have been in this?

Peng
05-26-2021, 04:24 PM
^FWIW, Pierce was a last minute recasting because the original actor had a schedule conflict, and Winslet acted with him in Mildred Pierce so she rec'ed him for the role.

Philip J. Fry
05-26-2021, 05:52 PM
That makes sense. I was wondering why they'd get such a name actor for such a small part.

Ezee E
05-27-2021, 02:56 AM
^FWIW, Pierce was a last minute recasting because the original actor had a schedule conflict, and Winslet acted with him in Mildred Pierce so she rec'ed him for the role.

Even if it was a minor actor, it's such a weird role. Like, you could probably remove every scene of his, and you get the same show.

Peng
06-01-2021, 12:53 AM

Ezee E
06-01-2021, 02:03 AM
Terrific ending.

Obviously the detective story is what will entice viewers, but I think the parental theme that touches literally every character is what makes this something really special.

Philip J. Fry
06-01-2021, 03:54 AM
Terrific ending.
Obviously the detective story is what will entice viewers, but I think the parental theme that touches literally every character is what makes this something really special.Yup. Pretty solid show overall.

1399239421438926848:D

Peng
06-03-2021, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't say I watch the show for the characters rather than the mystery (since the mystery is actually compelling as well), but Brad Ingelsby's writing and Craig Zobel's depiction lend this town's population and their relationships a tremendous amount of natural, lived-in authenticity, with both dramatic and comedic moments, that feels so engaging to watch. I could have watched these people dealing with their problems both personal and public all day, which the show has in spades. And the many lively digressions serve dual purpose as both effective storytelling and mystery's clue camouflage as well.

This also extends to the reveal, since however satisfying or not one may find it, we still see its effects reverberate and ripple outwards to the show's cast. The way they're affected is an unexpected but fitting continuance from the town's and especially Mare's arcs (with a never-better performance from Kate Winslet), so that it is a neat trick of plot-based reveal transforming so satisfyingly into concluding tangents of character-based drama too.

Philip J. Fry
06-03-2021, 03:19 PM
I could watch an entire show based solely on Mare's mom's antics.

quido8_5
06-11-2021, 12:46 AM
Episode 1 -
Somewhere between a cross of Sharp Objects and True Detective, this seems like something I'm going to dig.

LOLed at seeing Guy Pearce pop up. Definitely sticks out in this city, but I guess it fits.

Oh, and I doubt I've seen the kidnapper/murderer so far.

Holy exposition batman! At least its got a mis en scene that I'm down for and enough interesting characters that don't seem overly familiar from other sleepy-town murder series. Guy Pierce was a surprising and superfluous addition, but I'm not gonna be the one to object to a Pierce/Winslet hook up-- even if he turns out to be the murderer.

Episode 2:
Gotta love smalltown drama.

Gonna be the Priest or the Deacon.... Why else have that scene?

Second episode fleshes out the characters just enough to keep me excited about future episodes. The ending reeked of DUN-DUN-DUNNNNN and was signaled by the most obvious furrowed brow I think I've seen in modern television.

Irish
06-11-2021, 03:14 AM
Would have skipped the show entirely but Scar's comments in another thread got me curious (tbh I took them as an unofficial rec).

Just finished first episode. Very well done. I dig the heavy soap opera aspects of it. This is something Brit crime dramas do well but you don't see too often in
the States.

I like the way the show doesn't do exposition dumps, doesn't tell you everything at once. Like how 2 people on opposite sides of a public issue have known each other since highschool.

The final shot, with Mare waking up and thinking she sees someone, seemed to me to be straight out of life. Made me wonder out loud who directed / wrote this.

Scar
06-11-2021, 11:29 AM
Yeah, keep watching. Glad I couldn’t ‘binge it’ and had to wait week to week.

megladon8
09-17-2021, 03:28 PM
We watched the first 3 episodes last night.

Fantastic stuff. Some heart wrenching moments.

megladon8
09-20-2021, 10:49 PM
Aside from one big moment that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, this was pretty amazing.

Winslet is, like...wow. Holy shit.

Idioteque Stalker
09-24-2021, 10:44 PM
I trust this is a fine show, but the title irks me.

megladon8
09-24-2021, 11:18 PM

Yeah it reminds me of Handle With Care. Troy McClure plays Detective Jack Handle!

Idioteque Stalker
09-24-2021, 11:25 PM
Yeah it reminds me of Handle With Care. Troy McClure plays Detective Jack Handle!

Exactly. Big groan for a show that (I get the impression) takes itself fairly seriously.

megladon8
09-24-2021, 11:46 PM
Questionable title aside, you should watch it. It's phenomenal.

Scar
09-24-2021, 11:58 PM

It certainly is a fine show. Now watch the damn thing.

Idioteque Stalker
09-25-2021, 12:18 AM
I'll level with you fellas. I won't be watching it.

Scar
09-25-2021, 12:33 AM
You sonnofabitch…

megladon8
09-25-2021, 05:28 PM
You're seriously not going to watch it because you don't like the title?

Idioteque Stalker
09-25-2021, 07:05 PM
You're seriously not going to watch it because you don't like the title?

I pretty much don't watch tv. But yeah, the title doesn't help.

Some people say "What's in a name?" And I say "A lot!" Another recent example: Free Guy might've been on my radar if I didn't hate the title. Or there's this buzzy band right now called Amyl and the Sniffers that I won't be listening to.

megladon8
09-25-2021, 11:11 PM
Well I guess I won't be hooking you up with my OnlyFans, Bare-Aden.

Ezee E
09-30-2021, 08:59 PM
I definitely didn't get started until midseason because of the terrible title.

Then I heard the raves and gave it a shot, and glad I did!