PDA

View Full Version : humor book

lovejuice
04-21-2008, 12:57 AM
any favorite?

i'm reading slapped together, the anthology of three dilbert business books by scott adams. quite funny. and i get it real cheap at $9.99.

Kurosawa Fan
04-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Dilbert and Calvin and Hobbes are the two essential humor books. Everything else is a step below.

lovejuice
04-24-2008, 09:40 PM
this thread is not quite as popular as i expected. don't people read funny books!!?? :crazy:

Eleven
04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Besides comic strip collections (Bloom County FTW), I've always been tickled by the other Adams (Douglas), Vonnegut, Heller, Stoppard, Toole, Berger, both Amises. Sometimes Pynchon, DeLillo, Roth. I can take my humor dark and absurd.

megladon8
04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Tom Sharpe is wonderful.

I heartily recommend his books to everyone.

D_Davis
04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books always crack me up.

As did the first few Xanth novels.

More recently, Blatty's The Ninth Configuration made me LOL more than a few times. His ear for funny dialog is second to none.

Marley
04-25-2008, 05:15 AM
Christopher Moore.

lovejuice
04-25-2008, 06:48 AM
More recently, Blatty's The Ninth Configuration made me LOL more than a few times. His ear for funny dialog is second to none.

exoercist's writer? hardly sound like a humorous book.

D_Davis
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
exoercist's writer? hardly sound like a humorous book.

He was a writer of comedies and dramas before writing his trilogy of faith.

As a matter of fact, he says that writing the Exorcist kind of ruined his career in a way. Even though he had written comedies and dramas up to this point, as soon as he wrote the Exorcist everyone considered him an author of horror. This totally baffled him.

This is one reason why no film studio knew what to do with The Ninth Configuration. This is Blatty's sequel to the Exorcist, and yet it is hilarious. When a studio finally allowed him to make the film, they tried to bill it as a horror film - which it is not.

He also wrote A Shot in the Dark, the Pink Panther film!

Both the Exorcist and Legion have a ton of honest dialog that is genuinely humorous.

I would classify The Ninth Configuration as a dark, theological comedy/thriller. There are many, many moments in the book and film that are absolutely hilarious - as funny as anything I've ever read or seen, and smartly written. Smarter than almost anything I've read or seen. You've just got to experience it to understand it.

There is a guy who is adapting Shakespeare for dogs.

A guy who hits walls with a hammer to punish the atoms for not allowing him to walk through the wall.

A guy who believes that God is a giant foot.

An incredible funny demise for a bag of Fritos.

It really is brilliant.

bac0n
04-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett.

One of the funniest things ever put to print.

D_Davis
04-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett.

One of the funniest things ever put to print.

Yeah, it's good. Easily the best novel Gaiman's been a part of. Pratchett is a great humorist.

Thirdy
07-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Wodehouse.

monolith94
07-20-2008, 05:28 AM
I hated Good Omens. Couldn't get past a third of it. None of it sat well with me; I enjoyed literally nothing in it that I read.

Sven
07-20-2008, 02:59 PM
My favorite element of Good Omens was the Horsemen episodes. Everything else was of that particular brand of utterly random British non-sequitur that, if not in check, drives me up the walls (I'm looking at you, Douglas Adams).