PDA

View Full Version : Rick and Morty (Season 5)

Dukefrukem
03-30-2021, 05:40 PM
June 20th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UDQSCCRYO0&ab_channel=IGN

DFA1979
04-01-2021, 04:08 AM
Sweetness.

Philip J. Fry
04-01-2021, 05:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8fVjM-5pGc
Hahahah

DFA1979
04-01-2021, 06:47 AM
People have a lot of free time on their hands.

Philip J. Fry
05-01-2021, 08:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tks_1uCO5kA

Peng
06-22-2021, 02:09 PM
After last season's finale, I was curious to see the family dynamics towards Rick changing, but I guess they wanted a welcome-back-into-the-world premiere first, which, ok, is fun enough, but firmly within the show's comfortable margin. Still very enjoyable on a joke-per-minute basis though, and I get a kick out of Rick's nemesis being a pervy Aquaman.

Dukefrukem
06-23-2021, 12:55 PM
Yeh super enjoyable. Jessica always just out of reach from Morty.

Peng
06-29-2021, 05:30 AM
Episode 2 "Mortyplicity": Still not the continuation from last season's finale that I'm looking forwards to, but still great fun and better than last week's, as it's in the same groundwork of Rick's self-obsessed "solution" bringing havoc on his family. This time it's filtered through mind-bending, hilariously repetitive sci-fi concept with some character-based variations to keep it fresh, and grounded by a few bits of emotional edge too (especially Rick and Beth).

Dukefrukem
06-29-2021, 01:05 PM
Are we to assume the family at the end is the c-137 Rick & Morty?

Philip J. Fry
07-02-2021, 07:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ymDRf4W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTrfpBzj_8

Philip J. Fry
07-07-2021, 01:42 AM
The Planetina episode was good.

Peng
07-07-2021, 02:09 AM
After loving last week, the latest one is ok, but feels like the show's weakest episode for me.

Philip J. Fry
07-07-2021, 02:48 AM
It wasn't as funny as the previous two, but as someone who grew up with 90's cartoons, I always appreciate a good Captain Planet spoof. And Alison Brie does good in the ending.

Overall this season is already way better than the fourth one.

Dukefrukem
07-07-2021, 12:28 PM
I kinda miss when Morty wasn't a trained killer.

megladon8
07-11-2021, 05:45 PM
Season 4 has its fair share of clunkers, but 5 is just awful so far.

Captain Planet episode was horrible.

Decoy episode even worse.

megladon8
07-11-2021, 07:10 PM
I'm just getting really tired of "break Morty's heart for the LULZ".

What started as a goofy gag in the first couple of seasons, has become just mean and depressing.

I think the remote control in the Vat of Acid episode is what pushed me over.

Morty has become a victim of the writers' misanthropy and he's the least deserving of anyone on the show.

INB4 "that's the whole point!" Well fine, but I don't like it.

Peng
07-13-2021, 03:48 PM
After a promising premiere and a strong second episode, these last two have been my least favorite of the show in a row. This week's especially feels more Family Guy than Rick and Morty.

Philip J. Fry
07-17-2021, 06:47 AM
After a promising premiere and a strong second episode, these last two have been my least favorite of the show in a row. This week's especially feels more Family Guy than Rick and Morty.
I don't know, I found this one really, really funny. It was really gross, even for Rick & Morty, but it hit. And the giant incest baby killed me.

megladon8
08-03-2021, 06:10 PM
Just watched the ferret Voltron episode, and the turkey episode.

Godawful.

What the hell happened to this show?

Dukefrukem
08-03-2021, 06:58 PM
Well, for starters... the producer died of Cancer.

megladon8
08-03-2021, 07:25 PM
Which is indeed awful.

But I have not seen such a quick, steep decline in a show's quality since The Simpsons hit season 10.

Dukefrukem
08-03-2021, 07:31 PM
You're being hyperbolic without context. What made the shows you watched so wretched?

megladon8
08-03-2021, 07:36 PM
You're being hyperbolic without context. What made the shows you watched so wretched?

How am I being hyperbolic? I stated an opinion, which I stand by.

Main reason - they aren't funny. At all. Seasons 1-3 (and less so 4, but still not this bad) are consistently clever and laugh out loud hilarious.

Neither of these episodes made me laugh once.

The Voltron Ferret episode took what could have been a decent Rick and Morty concept and squandered it with awful writing. The battling narrations by Rick and Summer didn't have a point, nor did the subplot of Summer taking Morty's place at Rick's side. It felt like 3 or 4 episode ideas that they couldn't properly flesh out so they just threw them together in hopes they stuck.

The Turkey episode was just...what the fuck. Not funny ever, and its attempts at being funny are cringe worthy. Keith David has some truly embarrassing lines in this.

Dukefrukem
08-03-2021, 08:24 PM
You're being hyperbolic by comparing it to the downfall of the Simpsons. Humor is subjective. It's wicked funny to me. Rick making the statues wet their pants. References to Annihilation, Superman, pardoning turkeys (which is a real stupid US tradition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQoDGELkkbg&ab_channel=APArchive)... maybe you don't get it... being up in Canada?), soldier turkeys....

By simply just coming into a thread saying "it sucked" without adding anything else.... doesn't really make people want to have a conversation with you about it.

megladon8
08-03-2021, 08:32 PM
By saying humor is subjective, you're saying that it cannot be criticized. Basically "your opinion is wrong."

It is the worst downfall in quality I have seen since The Simpsons hit season 10.

megladon8
08-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Also, we eat turkeys for Thanksgiving in Canada.

The episode was just stupid and didn't make me laugh once.

Dukefrukem
08-03-2021, 08:35 PM
It's called a counterpoint. Discussions tend to have many of them.

My point IS... If I hadn't posted in this thread, we would only get "Godawful" as your review of the last episode.

megladon8
08-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Ok. *thumbs up*

Dukefrukem
08-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Also, we eat turkeys for Thanksgiving in Canada.

Not the point in the specifically linked example I made.

megladon8
08-03-2021, 08:48 PM
If you'd like to turn down the condescension I'd be happy to discuss.

I came in and made statement that I am not impressed with the latest season. It wasn't even an attempt to start a discussion, just a quick shoot in and out. I spend very little time in any of the subforums except Off Topic, as I rarely have much to contribute.

You immediately for up in arms because you like the show. Which you do often when people criticize something you like, as if they are attacking you personally. You're the one who immediately made a quotr-unquote counterpoint that boiled down to "it made me laugh, so you are wrong and engaging hyperbole".

Then proceeded to say that I just don't "get" the joke because I am Canadian (I am very aware of the pardoning turkeys tradition, as are most Canadians I'd say), and then implied that I don't understand how discussions work.

Ok!

Dukefrukem
08-03-2021, 08:54 PM
Dude right back at ya.

I give you an example of the theme of the entire episode, with video evidence about US President's pardoning turkey's on Thanksgiving.... which was Rick's plan from the get go (and why maybe the entire episode went over your head) .... .and you're response is "we eat turkeys too". How am I supposed to approach that?

Want a NON-hyperbolic video example representing that exchange?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y&ab_channel=CaptJax458

Dukefrukem
08-04-2021, 07:35 PM

megladon8
08-04-2021, 11:20 PM
I love that man.

Peng
08-10-2021, 06:26 AM
After an extended run of underwhelming episodes, this week is finally the best one since last season's finale.

My impression of the show is that, even if the characters' behavior/thoughts can come off tossed-off or callous, most of the first three seasons feel as if significant thoughts go into planning them and their storylines, while during the past two (and especially this season), there are more and more episodes that feel like the showrunners just riff and reference in the same spirit as their characters, which can be enjoyable enough but get increasingly dispiriting to see after the balance they previously pull off.

This one's Eternal Sunshine premise restricts them to at least get creative, and even then the showrunners bring their A-game this time, with the best mix of intricate jokes and dark drama so far this season, with a bit of tantalizing lore too (surely the tossed-off Beth comment would come up as main plotline again?).

Dukefrukem
09-05-2021, 03:39 PM

Peng
09-06-2021, 02:02 PM
Guess the live-action clips are just to drum up excitement for finale, or maybe next season?

Anyway, after the weakest, most underwhelming season that feels at times veered towards Family Guy than itself, this sticks the landing nicely. Surprisingly, by leaning into serialization more than it has ever done before (even if couched in self-deprecating gags about doing so).

Dukefrukem
09-06-2021, 02:06 PM
Whoa... Family Guy? In what way?

Peng
09-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Leaning heavily on references and crudeness, without enough of the show's own unique kind of mean-spirited heart/creativity propping them up like past seasons.

Dukefrukem
09-06-2021, 02:26 PM
Leaning heavily on references and crudeness,

I mean this describes almost all adult animation... if you had said literally any other show I wouldn't have flinched but Family Guy is mostly disjointed segments with lazy cut always. I've never once sniffed Family Guy. Not even South Park. But Archer? Maybe.

megladon8
09-06-2021, 04:07 PM
Rickmurai Jack hits a new low for the show. Not one laugh in the entire episode.

Peng's comparison to Family Guy is apt. Both shows seem to think that simply making a reference is in itself clever. It's not.

All the Thousand Crows is so bad.

Dukefrukem
09-07-2021, 04:57 PM
Oh damn. The finale was fantastic. Some pretty clever 4th wall breaking. You were right Peng, sticks the landing is a good way to put it. Makes me smile when even the show recognizes how fruitless the Rick backstory is, but hey, this is what fans have been clamoring over. Heh.

Skitch
09-10-2021, 02:30 AM
Hard binging like four eps in. Good stuff.