PDA

View Full Version : This movie, I want to see it.

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 03:25 PM
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/04/OneChanbara.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1214718_1124.html?ref=rss

Onechanbara

Boner M
04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I knew it was asian before I clicked the thread

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I knew it was asian before I clicked the thread

That's weird.

dreamdead
04-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I like how it handles ideas of Buddhist philosophy, specifically the third Noble Truth about the Cessation of Suffering...

"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: the remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving; egads, look at that ass."

— SN LVI.11

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I like how it handles ideas of Buddhist philosophy, specifically the third Noble Truth about the Cessation of Suffering...

"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: the remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving; egads, look at that ass."

— SN LVI.11

It's true. The Asiancentric aesthetic and deconstruction of post-modern Asian-society in light of the dichotomy found in the notion of the "outsider," or the examination of Western imperialism and the impact the "other" has had on the idea of Orientalism, should prove to be fascinating.

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
And this!

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/__icsFiles/artimage/2008/04/17/pc_fc_n_gn/4.jpg

dreamdead
04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
From these two pictures I like how the filmmakers have integrated Laura Mulvey's ideas of the male Gaze into the film. It looks like it'll meld an analysis of psychosexual neuroses typically found in unquestioning action films (see her essay, "Visual Pleasures") together with an Eastern Buddhist philosophy that neither confines women nor places them under any humiliating restraint.

Instead, it looks like it will privilege epistemic, eternal considerations over more mortal ideas of violent titillation. Sign me up, cause, like Daniel, I'm always a fan of films that are this philosophically rigorous and challenging. :pritch:

Kurosawa Fan
04-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I just think she's hot.

dreamdead
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
I just think she's hot.

Some films have subtext, you know. As the ad campaign from that stalwart film American Beauty proclaimed, "Look closer."

Qrazy
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Some films have subtext, you know. As the ad campaign from that stalwart film American Beauty proclaimed, "Look closer."

Which for fiscal purposes was truncated from the original ad text...

"Look closer... @ teh T&A."

Lasse
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Suddenly I'm feeling light-headed.

Kurosawa Fan
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM

I also like her boobs.

Melville
04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I just think she's hot.

I also like her boobs.
At least one person in here is talking sense.

SirNewt
04-19-2008, 07:32 PM
"I like how it handles ideas of Buddhist philosophy, specifically the third Noble Truth about the Cessation of Suffering... "

bu. . .

"It's true. The Asiancentric aesthetic . . ."

but. . .

". . .the examination of Western imperialism and the impact the "other" has had on the idea of Orientalism, should prove to be fascinating."

what. . .

". . .epistemic, eternal considerations. . ."

abou

:frustrated:

TEH SEX!

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
From these two pictures I like how the filmmakers have integrated Laura Mulvey's ideas of the male Gaze into the film. It looks like it'll meld an analysis of psychosexual neuroses typically found in unquestioning action films (see her essay, "Visual Pleasures") together with an Eastern Buddhist philosophy that neither confines women nor places them under any humiliating restraint.

True.

The amalgamation and juxtaposition of eastern and western archetypes is what fascinates me the most. It's as if the filmmaker is juggling the masks of the heroine, and through careful and strategic placement of genrecentric symbolism and memes the film could be seen as a marriage of two disparate cultures.

megladon8
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Asian women don't do much for me, so I won't see it for the T&A factor.

If it's a good movie, though, I'm all in!!

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
If it's a good movie...

I doubt there is any chance of this.

Stay Puft
04-19-2008, 11:36 PM
I hear the games are pretty bad, but I suppose that's irrelevant here.

D_Davis
04-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I hear the games are pretty bad, but I suppose that's irrelevant here.

Yeah - they are supposed to be pretty terrible.