PDA

View Full Version : Queen's Gambit

Ezee E
11-29-2020, 04:29 PM
This might be the first series I'll complete in quite some time.

Skitch
11-29-2020, 05:28 PM
I loved it.

Peng
12-07-2020, 02:13 AM
This takes me way back to my childhood memory of reading manga that I wonder if Scott Frank has read them as well or (more likely) watched some anime. Its formulaic broad strokes are consistently given life by that kind of heightened stylization (reaching its apex in the finale) and all-around terrific performances, so that even the non-game sections are still captivating to me.

Ezee E
12-07-2020, 02:58 AM
This takes me way back to my childhood memory of reading manga that I wonder if Scott Frank has read them as well or (more likely) watched some anime. Its formulaic broad strokes are consistently given life by that kind of heightened stylization (reaching its apex in the finale) and all-around terrific performances, so that even the non-game sections are still captivating to me.

Yeah. This might be my favorite movie/tv story of the year.

Morris Schæffer
12-07-2020, 09:56 AM
Seen 3 episodes and I'm pretty engaged, love the period setting and the competitive aspect even if there's repetition at the moment. Traveling with 'mom' to all kinds of tournaments, competing, pouty face in case of defeat. So I'm wondering if there is more to it since I'm virtually halfway. Like what about loser dad who's away all the time.

Her mom is actually the director of 'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood'. Cool trivia.

Morris Schæffer
12-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Yeah so a good show. I guess it threw me a bit of a curveball. I expected something a bit more powerful, indeed the show hints at several underlying plot strands, but in the end it kinda comes down to kicking russky butt. One of the final scenes was pretty cheesy. If it had been based on a real story, I'd be pretty sure it was at that moment that the screenwriter was adding his own flourish so to speak. Especially since the Government dude was adamant she was to go nowhere by herself, which made it real strange he stayed in the car which sped of.

Trivia moment #2: The dude playing Beltik was Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter movies.

Ezee E
12-16-2020, 02:04 PM
I really liked how they depicted addiction in this movie, because for the most part, it seems mostly fun. Hear me out here...

Nothing especially TERRIBLE happened, which allowed her to keep withdrawing herself from the world even more and continue to drink, until it completely affected her own performance at what she's good at. The worst moments were when people weren't observing her directly.