PDA

View Full Version : Expanse (Season 5)

Dukefrukem
10-09-2020, 04:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caLji74IIp4

Skitch
10-09-2020, 08:37 PM
I wondered if you were still watching this.

Dukefrukem
10-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Oh yeh. All caught up.

Peng
10-10-2020, 02:09 AM
Apparently the book this season is based on is what many fans consider to be the best so far in the series, so I'm excited.

Also, I think I read that this is a 9-book series (with 8 published as of now, including a slew of related short stories in between), so we are halfway there!

Dukefrukem
11-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Apparently the book this season is based on is what many fans consider to be the best so far in the series, so I'm excited.

Also, I think I read that this is a 9-book series (with 8 published as of now, including a slew of related short stories in between), so we are halfway there!

Wouldn't be so sure about that.

This has been some of the best world building I've seen in a series. Super bummed they are ending it, what appears to be, early.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expanse-renewed-sixth-final-season-amazon-cas-anvar-not-returning-1234621032/

Yxklyx
11-24-2020, 08:28 PM
I dunno, the show had a lot of promise but I gave up early in season 2.

Dukefrukem
11-24-2020, 08:46 PM

It got good when it hit Amazon

Peng
11-25-2020, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't be so sure about that.

This has been some of the best world building I've seen in a series. Super bummed they are ending it, what appears to be, early.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-expanse-renewed-sixth-final-season-amazon-cas-anvar-not-returning-1234621032/

My first thought is that finally I would get to read the books sooner than I expected. Then I was similarly worried if it means shortchanging the narrative in some ways, so I take a peep at the TV group I am in with people who have read the book. And I think I'm reassured? Their comments: "This seemingly means they decided to not figure out how they would do books 7-9." "yeah, it seems like the most obvious choice. It would be very hard to adapt the final books so I don’t fault them for not going for it." "At first I was annoyed they were not able to adapt all the books, but to be honest book 6 has a pretty definitive ending and would probably be a satisfying place to finish."

It got good when it hit Amazon

But that's only last season, and season 4 is the weakest! (though still very good)

Peng
11-25-2020, 01:48 PM

I'm surprised you can finish season 1 (which I struggled with at times) but abandon it during when both the pacing and momentum pick way up.

Peng
11-25-2020, 01:51 PM
M]But that's only last season, and season 4 is the weakest! (though still very good)

I forgot, second weakest*. After I replied to Yxklyx I remembered Season 1 hadn't convinced me yet it's anything special.

Dukefrukem
12-21-2020, 09:32 PM
Meh. First episode did not grab us.

Peng
01-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Meh. First episode did not grab us.

Finally started this season and yeah. I think it's solid enough but so very table-setting, which is understandable enough because it seems like the main characters are going to spend this season mostly apart?

I do hope we get more of Amos/Avasarala scenes in the future though, because they are two strong, different personalities that are hilarious together. "I'm a member of parliament, not your favorite stripper." "You could be both."

Yxklyx
01-12-2021, 08:33 PM
I'm surprised you can finish season 1 (which I struggled with at times) but abandon it during when both the pacing and momentum pick way up.

The show has an anti-science vibe (maybe even agenda) - that's ok if that's what it wants to do but it made me lose interest.

Dukefrukem
02-17-2021, 01:00 PM
This season has been incredible. Wife and I are on the final two episodes and it's by far the best ladder half of a season.

Peng
02-17-2021, 02:41 PM
I just finished the sixth one, two episodes after the one where a world-building-altering event happened, and it's been wild since.

Dukefrukem
02-18-2021, 02:01 AM
Finished the season. Excellent last 4 episodes.

Except the hilarious terrible write off of Alex. LOL. He got Metooed to the moon.

Morris Schæffer
02-24-2021, 07:22 PM
Started watching season 1 first episode. Wish it was in 4K although the surround sound is pretty kickass. Solid start, I understand it gets better though.

transmogrifier
02-25-2021, 06:42 AM

Does it improve dramatically? I got up to three episodes in Season 1 and... meh.

[ETM]
02-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Season one is a struggle, I was underwhelmed with how the finale was handled, so I basically never continued.
I have remained spoiler-free, though.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2021, 05:07 PM
Agreed that Season 1 is a struggle. But it sets up the other seasons really nicely. The latest season being the BEST so far IMO.