PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: The Last Airbender

Watashi
04-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Is this show really that good?

I've heard from everywhere that the show is the only top animation show currently airing that's worth checking out.

I'm really interested in it now considering Shyamalan is directing the film adaptation.

number8
04-16-2008, 02:59 AM
I've seen some episodes. It's not worthless like other action shows like Digimon or whatever, but it doesn't interest me at all.

Disregard.

Thirdmango
04-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Yes, this show is excellent and yet to be featured on my top 50 list. One thing that is excellent is like many anime it is set to be a certain amount of episodes, it's I think 10 episodes away from the conclusion. But it's really quite good and has a good pace to it. You need to watch it from the beginning though as just random episodes shant be a good idea. It gets very addicting early on. (Total episodes 61, currently at 53 aired.)

Kurosawa Fan
04-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I thought it sucked. Though I only saw two episodes. It's not my type of show at all.

EDIT: I was stupid.

Stay Puft
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Yes, this show is excellent and yet to be featured on my top 50 list. One thing that is excellent is like many anime it is set to be a certain amount of episodes, it's I think 10 episodes away from the conclusion. But it's really quite good and has a good pace to it. You need to watch it from the beginning though as just random episodes shant be a good idea. It gets very addicting early on. (Total episodes 61, currently at 53 aired.)

I will echo this. I have only watched the first season, but found it to be a smart, fun, endearing and, yes, addictive show. I got quite into it, although I haven't made the time to watch the second season yet (but did catch a couple episodes on television, which were okay, but not great). The Jason Isaacs character was pretty cool, and of course I love Mako (RIP). I don't know who voices Iroh now.

And I can't believe Shyamalan is directing a movie. So not going to work.

Sycophant
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
I've been trying to figure out if I should bother with this. I may have to.

Watashi
06-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Alright, I've been on an Avatar kick for the past week and watched Book One and now is starting on Book Two. This show fucking rocks. The animation is glorious, the martial art sequences are epic, and Appa is the coolest fucking thing ever. He's like the father of Catbus. It helps to have strong characters and have a great sense of humor (it's fucking funny as hell sometimes). Definitely the strongest animated show I've seen in awhile.

It starts off slow, but halfway through season one, it picks up fast.

I strongly recommend it to everyone.

Qrazy
06-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Is this show really that good?

I've heard from everywhere that the show is the only top animation show currently airing that's worth checking out.

I'm really interested in it now considering Shyamalan is directing the film adaptation.

Why would that be what piques your interest? Shyamalan is a fucking hack.

Watashi
06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Why would that be what piques your interest? Shyamalan is a fucking hack.
He has yet to make a bad movie.

Qrazy
06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
He has yet to make a bad movie.

Disagree, but really it's his script writing I can't stand. I don't mind his direction... aside from actors, which is as equally terrible as his writing or his own acting.

Stay Puft
06-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Alright, I've been on an Avatar kick for the past week and watched Book One and now is starting on Book Two. This show fucking rocks. The animation is glorious, the martial art sequences are epic, and Appa is the coolest fucking thing ever. He's like the father of Catbus. It helps to have strong characters and have a great sense of humor (it's fucking funny as hell sometimes). Definitely the strongest animated show I've seen in awhile.

Rep.

I still need to find time to start Book Two.

Skitch
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I've only seen a few episodes, but I thought it was sweet. Sweet enough to have me searching for the seasons on dvd for cheap.

Thirdmango
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
The show is almost done, I am so excited. Just four more episodes left!

Watashi
07-20-2008, 08:23 AM
the ending... HOLY SHIT.

Best 2 hours of television ever?

Thirdmango
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
the ending... HOLY SHIT.

Best 2 hours of television ever?

If it isn't the best, it's pretty damn close. Oh man, my love for this show has escalated so much after that ending. Awesome!

D_Davis
07-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Now that it is actually over, and it's not going to run on and on without an ending like so many Western cartoons, I am anxious to check it out.

Is the whole thing on DVD yet?

Watashi
07-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Now that it is actually over, and it's not going to run on and on without an ending like so many Western cartoons, I am anxious to check it out.

Is the whole thing on DVD yet?

The first two seasons and 3/4 of the third season are. I think the finale will be released on DVD next Tuesday.

You should really check it out, D.

The show's badass is a 13-year old blind girl.

D_Davis
07-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Sounds good. I've been interested in it, but, like most western cartoons, I was afraid that they would never actually finish the story, and so I held off on watching it.

Now that this main arc is done, I'm totally down.

Saya
09-01-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm halfway through the first season and love it. I watched like 6 episodes in a row last night.

The animation is really good sometimes, especially the battle scenes. I also really like the Asian influences on the designs and themes.

number8
09-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Sounds good. I've been interested in it, but, like most western cartoons, I was afraid that they would never actually finish the story, and so I held off on watching it.

Now that this main arc is done, I'm totally down.

I wasn't afraid of that, but the fact that it has ended certainly put it on my list of shows to check out. I'm kind of like that.

Qrazy
02-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Great show, I genuinely teared up at a few moments. Zuko and his uncle near the end for instance... damn that was moving. King Bumi, greatest character ever.

Screw the Shyamalan films but I really do hope they're working on a series with a new avatar character.

lovejuice
02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
how many books (seasons) are there totally? i'm now very interested.

Qrazy
02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
how many books (seasons) are there totally? i'm now very interested.

3 books/seasons, 20 episodes each except 21 in the last book.

Winston*
02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm like 10 episodes into this show. It's quite good.

Watashi
02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm like 10 episodes into this show. It's quite good.
One of us. One of us.

Qrazy
02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Appa's Lost Days is such a good ep and one of the reasons this show is awesome.

lovejuice
02-27-2009, 08:17 PM
3 episodes, so far so good. the stylistic choice is quite interesting, more patlabour than count of monte cristo. a curious choice why they have to go retro to emulate the anime feel.

Kurosawa Fan
02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I'm through three episodes and quite like it as well. I might start over and watch it with my son. I think he would really like it.

Qrazy
02-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Can't wait till you guys get to King Bumi. I think it's episode 5.

lovejuice
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Can't wait till you guys get to King Bumi. I think it's episode 5.
"wrong choice!"

ok, that's bad-assed. so, will all the characters come back later? since i kinda like that white-faced chick with golden fans, wanna see more of her.

Qrazy
02-27-2009, 11:19 PM
"wrong choice!"

ok, that's bad-assed. so, will all the characters come back later? since i kinda like that white-faced chick with golden fans, wanna see more of her.

Yep, that's another great element of the show. It's very well plotted. Nearly all the major characters come back and play integral roles in the final stages of the narrative.

lovejuice
03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
i finished the first book, and this show is honest to goodness awesome.

here are a few of my favorite moments.

1) aang versus jet in the forest. i love jet's double swords. anyone here is familiar with ironfist chinmi? those swords belong to one of the characters in that manga. and yes, they're very versatile and allow holders to do a buncha cool moves. wonder though how "historically accurate" that is.

2) the monster fight, appa versus the smeller beast. it's a kaiju anime!

3) the kaonashi knock off guy in the last episode. very sweet. the spirit tells aang they will meet again. i certainly hope so.

the kung fu animation is very well done. they did a very good job pacing/telling the story, but more than that, they built a strong foundation for things to come. i'm much impressed over all.

Kurosawa Fan
03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm still on episode five. I stopped watching them online and started renting them from Netflix and watching them with my son, who's loving it. We're watching disc two tonight, so I'll get three new episodes.

lovejuice
03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
ok, now i have something to b*tch about. the extra materials which come with the dvd boxset is silly. mostly a one or two minute spot of uninspired interviews. perhaps it's wrong of me to expect more out of nickelodean dvd.

Qrazy
03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
i finished the first book, and this show is honest to goodness awesome.

here are a few of my favorite moments.

1) aang versus jet in the forest. i love jet's double swords. anyone here is familiar with ironfist chinmi? those swords belong to one of the characters in that manga. and yes, they're very versatile and allow holders to do a buncha cool moves. wonder though how "historically accurate" that is.

2) the monster fight, appa versus the smeller beast. it's a kaiju anime!

3) the kaonashi knock off guy in the last episode. very sweet. the spirit tells aang they will meet again. i certainly hope so.

the kung fu animation is very well done. they did a very good job pacing/telling the story, but more than that, they built a strong foundation for things to come. i'm much impressed over all.

Unfortunately he doesn't meet Koh The Face Stealer again in the series although Koh is seen near the end of the series in a flashback about another Avatar also...

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Escape_from_the_Spirit_World

Apparently they meet again in the game which is considered to be canonical. I haven't played it.

Of interest:

"The fighting choreography of the show draws from martial arts; the fighting styles and weaponry are based on Chinese martial arts, with each bending art corresponding to a certain real-world style. The creators referred to Ba Gua for airbending, Hung Gar for earthbending, Northern Shaolin for firebending, and Tai Chi for waterbending.[20] The only exception to this is Toph, who employs a Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis style.[33] The series employed Sifu Kisu of the Harmonious Fist Chinese Athletic Association as a martial arts consultant.[34]

Each fighting style was chosen to represent the element it projected:

* Tai Chi focuses on alignment, body structure, breath, and visualization. This technique is the foundation of "Waterbending" in the series.[20]
* Hung Gar was chosen for its firmly rooted stances and powerful strikes to represent the solid nature of earth. This martial art is the basis of "Earthbending" in the series.[20]
o Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis has distinguishing movements and unique footwork that are employed by Toph Bei Fong to complement her blindness, giving her a unique style of Earthbending.[33]
* Northern Shaolin Kung Fu uses strong arm and leg movements. This technique is the foundation of "Firebending" in the series.[20]
* Ba Gua uses erratic, circular movements.[20] This technique uses centripetal force to generate power, and uses nearly constant circular movement to create angles between the combatants. This martial art is the basis of "Airbending" in the series.[35][36]"

lovejuice
03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
stuffs i like in book 2. (unfinished yet)

the drill: a big-assed machine in an ancient setting? that's two thumbs up in a final-fantasy kinda way.

tales of ba-sing-se: filler episodes, if well done, can actually be very nice. this one does a good job, filling somes holes, progressing stories, and setting tone. the homage to mako tears my eyes.

edit: gosh! the last four to five episodes of book 2 are glorious. i don't even know where to start shower the praises. lemme begin by
jet :cry::cry::cry:
and the intrusion into the earth palace against dozens of guards are yummy!

Kurosawa Fan
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Had to proceed on my own. My son was too slow for me. I'm halfway through Book Two and cruising along. Such a good show, and with all the raves about how good Book Two and Three conclude, I can't wait to finish.

number8
10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't know whether to call you a selfish father or an awesome fan.

Kurosawa Fan
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't know whether to call you a selfish father or an awesome fan.

I like to think I'm a little of both.

number8
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I like to think I'm a little of both.

When all else fails, follow your gender.

Kurosawa Fan
10-20-2009, 05:19 PM
When all else fails, follow your gender.

In my defense, we started watching the show in March, and he's still on the first disc of Book Two. I've been a model of patience, but if we keep this pace I may not live to finish the series.

number8
10-20-2009, 06:06 PM
In my defense, we started watching the show in March, and he's still on the first disc of Book Two. I've been a model of patience, but if we keep this pace I may not live to finish the series.

You don't really have to explain. All I wanted was to call you a hermaphrodite.

Kurosawa Fan
10-20-2009, 06:16 PM
You don't really have to explain. All I wanted was to call you a hermaphrodite.

Noted.

Kurosawa Fan
10-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Finished Book Two. This is truly a fantastic show. It's so well written, and perfectly plotted and paced. Really impressive work, and I can't wait to see how it ends. Should finish things up in the next few days.

Oh, and I decided to check who voiced the characters, and found that Katara is voiced by Mae Whitman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926165/). Her?

Watashi
10-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Good man.

Now if other can follow suit.

Winston*
10-21-2009, 03:25 AM
I've only got the final episode to go.

Kurosawa Fan
10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Finished it today. Fantastic finale. Really, a perfect ending. I do think the second season was the strongest. The third had a couple filler episodes I could have done without, but that might have been my impatience to find out how things would play out.

EvilShoe
10-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Finished it today. Fantastic finale. Really, a perfect ending. I do think the second season was the strongest. The third had a couple filler episodes I could have done without, but that might have been my impatience to find out how things would play out.
Remember how that impatience led to you betraying your son? Fun times.

Kurosawa Fan
10-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Remember how that impatience led to you betraying your son? Fun times.

Yeah. I didn't tell him about it either, and then he caught me watching it and got mad.

number8
10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
AvaTEARING US APAAAAART: The Last Airbender.

lovejuice
10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
this might be a good time to mention that for all my love of the show, i actually find the final episodes underwhelming. (especially compared with the ever wonderful finale of book2)

the fire lord does not turn out to be that formidable an enemy. aang beats him by going into the avatar stage which has always been his trump card from...first episode. it's weird too since at the beginning of book 2, there seems to be this suggestion he's afraid of losing himself in that stage.

and after all, they can't come up with anyone strong enough to match power with toph.

EvilShoe
10-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah. I didn't tell him about it either, and then he caught me watching it and got mad.
I'm at ep 8. He can watch the rest of the series with me.

Not really, I don't want to wait ages to finish the show.

Qrazy
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
this might be a good time to mention that for all my love of the show, i actually find the final episodes underwhelming. (especially compared with the ever wonderful finale of book2)

the fire lord does not turn out to be that formidable an enemy. aang beats him by going into the avatar stage which has always been his trump card from...first episode. it's weird too since at the beginning of book 2, there seems to be this suggestion he's afraid of losing himself in that stage.

and after all, they can't come up with anyone strong enough to match power with toph.

He almost did lose himself. The fire lord almost took control of him. The battle more than anything was about whether or not Aang could defeat him without killing him.

EvilShoe
11-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Season 2 is sooooooooo good. This show went from enjoyable to must-see somewhere near the end of season 1.

Just started season 3.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Season 2 is sooooooooo good. This show went from enjoyable to must-see somewhere near the end of season 1.

Just started season 3.

Totally agree. I went from thinking "this would be a fun thing for Dylan and I to do together" to "I can't wait any longer, this show is too good" and ripped through season two and three in less than a week.

Saya
11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
It's great to hear so many people are enjoying this show!

EvilShoe
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
When I started the show I was most worried about the Sokka character. I feared he would be no more than comic relief, as he lacks bending powers.

So I was especially relieved to see him evolve to a valuable member of Team Avatar. And he's still funny!

I think he's my fav, along with uncle Iroh.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I think he's my fav, along with uncle Iroh.

Uncle Iroh is definitely my favorite character.

lovejuice
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
mine fav. are iroh, toph and the acrobatic fire chick.

number8
11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
THE BOULDER DECREES THAT HE IS NUMBER8'S FAVORITE CHARACTER. THE BOULDER IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER CHARACTERS MENTIONED!

Thirdmango
11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I went to a Halloween Party where eight people showed up all dressed as Avatar characters. Coordination at it's finest and they all had really well made costumes too.

Winston*
11-11-2009, 06:25 AM
I finished this show. It is one of the best shows I've seen.

Watashi
11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
I finished this show. It is one of the best shows I've seen.

Favorite character, episode, Sokka line?

Winston*
11-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Favorite character, episode, Sokka line?

Favourite character is Toph followed by Sokka.

I might've laughed hardest at "loser lord" from the last episode. Genius writing.

Don't know about favourite episode, maybe the finale from season 1? That was a good one.

Watashi
06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Oh God, I'm rewatching Book One and I keep forgetting how downright amazing this show is. The movie will suck beyond all hope.... except if they keep the "Classic Appa" line. I will then give it 4 stars.

number8
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I finished rewatching Book 2 last night.

"Zuko Alone" is still an amazing piece of television.

number8
06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I've seen some episodes. It's not worthless like other action shows like Digimon or whatever, but it doesn't interest me at all.

Apparently, two years ago I was an idiot.

Dead & Messed Up
07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Six or seven episodes deep into the first season. Aang just dealt with the spirit world. I love the blend of classic hero questing and fast, youthful humor.

Glass Co.
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Watching Avatar and The Wire at the same time should be fun. The two tones are so different and yet so great that they will compliment each other quite well.

Mara
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
So, this showed up on Netflix Instant and I needed something relatively undemanding to watch while I work on some projects.

My main misconceptions about this show were that I thought it was created for adults, and I thought it would be more serious mystical-world-saving stuff. I'm happily surprised to find that it was made for children, just because I'm thrilled that this much quality is going into children's television; and also that the show is genuinely funny, charming and gleeful.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid's cartoon with such a powerful meta-story, though. Monster-of-the-week is out.

I'm a dozen or so episodes in.

Lucky
04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I've been catching random eps of this lately when I flip through channels. I forgot how much heart this show has. Also, the end credit drum beat always makes me want to watch another episode.

Dead & Messed Up
04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
So, this showed up on Netflix Instant and I needed something relatively undemanding to watch while I work on some projects.

My main misconceptions about this show were that I thought it was created for adults, and I thought it would be more serious mystical-world-saving stuff. I'm happily surprised to find that it was made for children, just because I'm thrilled that this much quality is going into children's television; and also that the show is genuinely funny, charming and gleeful.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid's cartoon with such a powerful meta-story, though. Monster-of-the-week is out.

I'm a dozen or so episodes in.

Yeah, a lot of cartoons try to blur the line between demographics by sticking in gags or lines for adults (and some are quite good at it), but Avatar is steadfastly a show for the younger set. It appealed to me because, well, it's just so good at what it does. Insanely well-told, with luscious animation.

number8
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Something that few people appreciate: the animation uses actual martial arts references, and each bending form is actually a real martial arts style.

Watashi
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
There is no excuse for anyone not watching this since it's all on Netflix Instant Watch.

I got my sisters on it and they went through all 3 seasons in a week and is now their favorite show. They want to get a cat and call it Momo.

Mara
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
So, Wats, did you realize that the actor who voices Zuko was Rufio in Hook?

I mean... he's The Pan.

number8
04-07-2011, 03:28 PM

I mean... he's The Pan.

Of course he knows.

Mara
04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Of course he knows.

I figured. Still tickles me, though.

Wryan
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Is this somewhere online besides Netflix? I'm sure it is and that someone's already posted the link, but I can't recall. I don't have Netflix and still haven't watched this. Want to, though.

Mara
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh, get Netflix. It's awesome. If you just want unlimited instant viewing it's $8/month. I'm at unlimited instant viewing and one DVD at a time, and it's $10/month.

Really a great service for the money. I don't even have cable anymore; between internet sites and Netflix I don't need it.

number8
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I was reading an article about Mad Men coming on Netflix yesterday and the first comment was something like, "They're already on Pirate Bay. The price is better."

It infuriated me. I'm an advocate of bittorrent technology and internet distribution and creative commons and all the wonders of abolishing copyright, and I understand full well the necessity to obtain stuff with illegal means because access to it may not be readily available. But when something is available, and it's cheap and it's convenient, and you dismiss the effort of making that available to an audience that wants it simply because you can just get it for free? Well, then, you deserve to pay back what you owe by sucking mastodon dick for loose change.

Watashi
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM

I mean... he's The Pan.
Dante Basco is also in A Goofy Movie.

Hook, A Goofy Movie, Avatar?

No actor can ever top that.

number8
04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
At one point, I thought he was Fillmore, then I realized it's just a similar-sounding dude.

number8
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
At one point, I thought he was Fillmore, then I realized it's just a similar-sounding dude.

And the similar-sounding dude is Orlando Brown.

Watashi
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Holy shit. Dante Basco was one of the bullies in the Community Christmas episode?

How did I not catch that?!

Dead & Messed Up
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Dante Basco is also in A Goofy Movie.

Hook, A Goofy Movie, Avatar?

No actor can ever top that.

Jimmy Stewart was in An American Tale: Fievel Goes West.

Watashi
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Jimmy Stewart was in An American Tale: Fievel Goes West.
It was his last role too.

He knew he had to go out on top.

Watashi
04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
It was his last role too.

He knew he had to go out on top.
It's funny how a lot of lengendary actors' last role was doing an animated film: James Stewart, Paul Newman, Anne Bancroft, Vincent Price, Dennis Hopper, Orson Welles, and so on.

number8
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
It's funny how a lot of lengendary actors' last role was doing an animated film: James Stewart, Paul Newman, Anne Bancroft, Vincent Price, Dennis Hopper, Orson Welles, and so on.

You should compile a list (and then send it to me).

Watashi
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
You should compile a list (and then send it to me).
That was all I could think of off the top of my head.

Wryan
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Oh, get Netflix. It's awesome. If you just want unlimited instant viewing it's $8/month. I'm at unlimited instant viewing and one DVD at a time, and it's $10/month.

Really a great service for the money. I don't even have cable anymore; between internet sites and Netflix I don't need it.

Now that I have my new laptop, I'm sure I will at some point. Luckily my apartment's mailbox is big enough to accept the DVDs, too.

number8
04-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh hey, I rewatched the series again and just finished last night. Sozin's Comet is still one of the most exhilarating television finale ever made.

number8
04-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Was watching some batches of Book 3 over the weekend when roommate came home and sat in for a couple. This happened during "The Southern Raiders":

"Wait, this show was on the Disney Channel?"
"Nickelodeon."
"And it's like, made for kids, right?"
"Yeah."
"Wow."

Mara
04-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Oh hey, I rewatched the series again and just finished last night. Sozin's Comet is still one of the most exhilarating television finale ever made.

I mainlined the whole series in two weeks and loved it. Now I'm getting my pseudo-nieces and nephews to watch it.

number8
04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
It's hard to decide, but after 3 viewings, I've found that my favorite moment of the finale is:

Sokka: We need to get to the top of this thing, fast!
Suki: Then what?
Sokka: Watch each other's backs. And if we make it that far, I'll let you know.

He's crazy enough that he'd risk their lives to stop the fleet without a plan, but he also shows leadership with that spur-of-the-moment confidence. <3 Sokka.

Watashi
04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Im trying to get Barty to watch this series but he's being lame about it.

Dead & Messed Up
04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Im trying to get Barty to watch this series but he's being lame about it.

:evil:

He'll be extra lame after I beat his legs with the limited edition DVD box set.

Henry Gale
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm finally getting around to watching this series now since it's being taken off of Netflix Canada on October 1st, and even though I've only seen the first ten episodes so far, I am about as impressed with the level of quality of the show as I am deeply depressed that it's already been wasted with such a godawful mess of a live-action movie adaptation. Even though I can understand the filmmaker's urge to make the movie seem more epic and marketable by attempting to condense the storyline and making everything more serious, but there's absolutely zero comedy or any of the overarching storylines and stakes that make the show as exciting and fun as it is.

But the show is really strong, I'm looking forward to breezing through it all by the end of the month, and luckily there are increasingly fewer scenes in the show that mirror anything in the movie. So basically, the more episodes I watch, the easier it is to forget what Shyamalan did to this.

Qrazy
09-14-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm finally getting around to watching this series now since it's being taken off of Netflix Canada on October 1st, and even though I've only seen the first ten episodes so far, I am about as impressed with the level of quality of the show as I am deeply depressed that it's already been wasted with such a godawful mess of a live-action movie adaptation. Even though I can understand the filmmaker's urge to make the movie seem more epic and marketable by attempting to condense the storyline and making everything more serious, but there's absolutely zero comedy or any of the overarching storylines and stakes that make the show as exciting and fun as it is.

But the show is really strong, I'm looking forward to breezing through it all by the end of the month, and luckily there are increasingly fewer scenes in the show that mirror anything in the movie. So basically, the more episodes I watch, the easier it is to forget what Shyamalan did to this.

The next two seasons are astronomically better.

Glass Co.
09-14-2011, 11:28 PM

Totally. While the first season is great, there are still a few kiddie cling-ons that mostly disappear afterward, or at least are integrated in a more homogeneous and seamless way with the more "mature" aspects.

Henry Gale
09-15-2011, 12:00 AM

That's pretty encouraging, even if I would have still been going ahead prett fast anyway.

Totally. While the first season is great, there are still a few kiddie cling-ons that mostly disappear afterward, or at least are integrated in a more homogeneous and seamless way with the more "mature" aspects.

Alright, if I have one issue with the show, this is it. But in the end I don't let it ruin the show for me because I realize the demographic they had to agree to make it for when they were starting out. Like too many times when something is played for laughs, they'll play a "wamp waaamp" or cymbal crash noise, and a lot of characters will neatly summarize and repeat certain ideas and themes over and over to really drive them home. Assuming that's the type of stuff you mean, then I'm glad to hear they slowly go away.

Glass Co.
09-15-2011, 01:53 AM
That's pretty encouraging, even if I would have still been going ahead prett fast anyway.

Alright, if I have one issue with the show, this is it. But in the end I don't let it ruin the show for me because I realize the demographic they had to agree to make it for when they were starting out. Like too many times when something is played for laughs, they'll play a "wamp waaamp" or cymbal crash noise, and a lot of characters will neatly summarize and repeat certain ideas and themes over and over to really drive them home. Assuming that's the type of stuff you mean, then I'm glad to hear they slowly go away.

That's the stuff, and that's what goes (again, mostly).

Mara
09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I had recommended this show to a family of kids I know awhile back, and this weekend they told me they had watched it and loved it.

Then they added that they'd seen the film, and asked if I had. I said, no.

They then proceeded to try and explain to me the level of badness of the film, in ever-increasing anxiety and passion. Finally, the thirteen-year-old pounded her fists on the table and exclaimed, "The movie was as lame as... as lame as... AS LAME AS MIDDLE SCHOOL!"

Well played, kid. Well played.

Henry Gale
09-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Finished Season 1, really enjoyable all the whole way through, even if I see that Shyamalan's attempt at Book One was simply the biggest plot points from the first and last two episodes here merged into a non-sensical, wooden pile of nothingness. Seriously, any ten minute stretch of this show has more excitement and interesting character work than that whole movie bothered to generate. But I can let it go having now seen the original, better telling of the same basic story with a world and characters I actually care about.

Onto Season 2!

number8
09-19-2011, 09:34 PM
I will always remember that story I read of the group of girls who went to the midnight showing of the movie in costume as the Kyoshi Warriors, not realizing that they've been cut out of the movie, and were seen walking out dejected, their costumes already partly taken off.

Henry Gale
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
I will always remember that story I read of the group of girls who went to the midnight showing of the movie in costume as the Kyoshi Warriors, not realizing that they've been cut out of the movie, and were seen walking out dejected, their costumes already partly taken off.

A first-hand account at 1:53.

KHi1zaN0ooc

Henry Gale
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I was having my doubts that Season 2 was going to be significantly better as it was starting out, but man, that run of episodes from "The Blind Bandit" and "Zuko Alone" all the way through "The Library", "The Desert and "The Drill" were all incredible.

For the "The Drill", does anyone know if it's true that J.J. Abrams and Darlton had an uncredited hand in writing it? I had heard it a long time ago but just saw it mentioned again online. Cool if true, still a great episode if not.

number8
01-27-2012, 07:46 PM
If anyone's interested, the first of three Avatar comic books came out this week, continuing right where Sozin's Comet left off. I was skeptical of it when it was announced, but the first issue actually set up a very interesting new fight between Aang and Zuko. This time, though, it's a little more ambiguous which one of them is in the right.

Basically, the end of the war sparks the question of what to do with the Fire Nation colonies. Since the war went on for 100 years, there are Firebenders whose family have considered the colonies home for generations. Disbanding the colonies would be robbing them of their own homes.

Zuko thinks this is unfair, and sees allowing the colonies to continue to exist as assimilation between nations. Aang thinks that's occupation, and insists that the harmony of the world depends on the balance of four nations staying separate.

It's really cool stuff. And yeah, you get to see the building of the modern, assimilated city where Legend of Korra takes place in.

Lucky
01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
KF's two posts on the first page of this thread are pretty amusing. Funny what a year can do.

Kurosawa Fan
01-27-2012, 09:42 PM
KF's two posts on the first page of this thread are pretty amusing. Funny what a year can do.

:lol:

Well, the first two episodes I saw were out of order, just random stuff I happened to catch when my kids would leave Nickelodeon on. Either way, I guess my turnaround was pretty remarkable.

[ETM]
10-07-2016, 10:17 PM
I'll resurrect this just to post that Dina and I have been burning through the show these past days, and it's truly amazing. We're up to the Painted Lady episode in Book 3 right now.
And wow, talk about some of the moments... when we saw "The Tale of Iroh", we were both in actual tears.

Philip J. Fry
10-08-2016, 05:56 AM
;561262']I'll resurrect this just to post that Dina and I have been burning through the show these past days, and it's truly amazing. We're up to the Painted Lady episode in Book 3 right now.
And wow, talk about some of the moments... when we saw "The Tale of Iroh", we were both in actual tears.The Tale of Iroh: Crushing Spirits since 2005.

Peng
06-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Just finished the first season (it's on Netflix and the episode length is perfect for when I travel between work and home). Starts a bit rough, with the first few episodes especially really childish in sensibility (instead of childlike). Even during the bumpy first half though the mythology and world-building are so dense and well-woven that it keeps my interest. Some complexity finally kicks in around mid-point; the first episode I really like is "Jet". The show has a nicely building sense of stake-raising from then on, with some really good episodes ("The Storm" and "The Blue Spirit" make for an excellent unofficial two-parter), and the finale is downright great. Excited to continue on to the next two seasons!

Skitch
06-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Its back on Netflix? Woo-hoo! Time for a rewatch with the fam!

Hey Peng, now that you've finished the first season, you should watch the movie. Its not good, but with the season fresh in mind you can see what he was trying to do. It just didn't work that great unfortunately.

Neclord
06-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Man, I wish I could watch this show for the first time again.

Philip J. Fry
06-22-2018, 11:46 PM
Its back on Netflix? Woo-hoo! Time for a rewatch with the fam!

Hey Peng, now that you've finished the first season, you should watch the movie. Its not good, but with the season fresh in mind you can see what he was trying to do. It just didn't work that great unfortunately.Peng, it's a trap.

Also, Book 2 is one of the greatest seasons of TV ever.

Skitch
06-23-2018, 12:48 AM
It would only be a trap if I didn't repeatedly say its bad. You don't warn people if its a trap.

Philip J. Fry
06-23-2018, 03:26 AM
It would only be a trap if I didn't repeatedly say its bad. You don't warn people if its a trap.Still seems sketchy, Skitch.

Peng
06-23-2018, 05:06 AM
It's on non-US Netflix, not sure about US though. And yeah, I watched the trailer after and it's basically the whole season 1? Effects weren't too bad from the trailer, but I don't know how it can work and the casting looks goofy.

Philip J. Fry
06-23-2018, 01:27 PM
You know what? Watch it when you're about to finish season 3. There's an episode there that it's a perfect companion to the movie (you'll know it when you see it).

Neclord
06-24-2018, 05:24 AM
I mean, it's so confounding in its utter terribleness it's almost worth sampling. Some of the effects and the art direction are interesting but cinematically it's an incredible misfire.

Peng
08-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Eight episodes into season 2 and it's a marked improvement on early season 1 (wasn't too wild about "The Swamp" though). Even the frivolous village-of-the-week stuff like "Avatar Day" is snappy and actually funny; in general, the humor means actual gags now instead of childish pandering. The three-episode stretch of "The Blind Bandit", "Zuko Alone", and "The Chase" is one hell of a sustained dramatic run though.

Philip J. Fry
08-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Thoughts about Toph?

Peng
08-04-2018, 12:13 PM
She has the most useful power ever, at least as presented in the two episodes. No doubt about being most enthusiastic user of element so far though; she's great. Love the gag of her setting up "tent", closing it in Katara's face at one point.

Philip J. Fry
08-04-2018, 03:43 PM
She has the most useful power ever, at least as presented in the two episodes. No doubt about being most enthusiastic user of element so far though; she's great. Love the gag of her setting up "tent", closing it in Katara's face at one point.She's pretty much the greatest.:D

Peng
09-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Finished the second season. The Ba Sing Se stretch that covers about half the season (from "The Serpent's Pass" to "Crossroads of Destiny") rank up there with the most sustained best stretches of any show. All excellent to show-stopper, not a merely good episode to be found. I love the many recurrent characters and their intersections, even right down to minor comic ones. Especially partial to the epic episodes, in which the actions are so, so good and inventive ("The Drill", "Lake Laogai", "The Crossroads of Destiny"). "Appa's Lost Days" isn't one of those but so format-breaking, and intense (but never exploitative) in its animal-in-peril depiction that I love it about the same anyway. Speaking of, Appa is one of the great animated creatures ever, a very Miyazaki mix of the cuddly, the whimsy, and animal rough instinct.

Peng
09-12-2018, 01:42 PM
"Sokka's Master" is just a good episode, but I love that the show gets its own version of Buffy's "The Zeppo".

Grouchy
09-20-2018, 07:36 PM
I don't understand why this would be a good idea or what interesting spin on the series would it offer besides some very expensive CGI.

Peng
09-21-2018, 12:51 PM
Oh wow, that ending!

I have heard from more than a few people liking season 2 over 3, and I can see 3 being a bit bumpier (I really like the resolution to Boiling Rock two-parter, but didn't feel too much for the whole thing overall). Still, Zuko's arc alone helps propel the series to higher complexity, and 3 is just ambitious and constantly inventive throughout that I can't help but feel it's a step above.

The first half alone is so jam-packed: from the show's own version of Buffy's The Zeppo in "Sokka's Master", self-knowing (superpower-)teen angst of "The Beach", "The Avatar and the Firelord"'s past-present parallel of epic sweep, to the horror film-tinged atmosphere of "The Puppet's Master". Show's best standalone episode ever happens just before the finale though; "The Ember Island Players" is one great meta- palate cleanser, so hilarious.

Speaking of finale, I have been trying and failing since I completed it to think of a show that saves its very best for its very last, like Avatar did with "Sozin's Comet". Such a spectacular, rousing, pour-all-in finish. Its Part 3 "Into the Inferno", especially, instantly becomes one of my all-time favorite episodes ever. I still get thrills and chills from many music cues and visuals from this finale (Ozai first noticing Aang and zooming towards him; the melancholic orchestra that accompanies that deeply tragic sibling duel). If not for the fact that this has a sequel series, I might be tempted to rewatch the whole thing right now again.

Also, I finally know where Philip J. Fry's avatar(heh) picture comes from!

Philip J. Fry
09-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Oh wow, that ending!

I have heard from more than a few people liking season 2 over 3, and I can see 3 being a bit bumpier (I really like the resolution to Boiling Rock two-parter, but didn't feel too much for the whole thing overall). Still, Zuko's arc alone helps propel the series to higher complexity, and 3 is just ambitious and constantly inventive throughout that I can't help but feel it's a step above.

The first half alone is so jam-packed: from the show's own version of Buffy's The Zeppo in "Sokka's Master", self-knowing (superpower-)teen angst of "The Beach", "The Avatar and the Firelord"'s past-present parallel of epic sweep, to the horror film-tinged atmosphere of "The Puppet's Master". Show's best standalone episode ever happens just before the finale though; "The Ember Island Players" is one great meta- palate cleanser, so hilarious.

Speaking of finale, I have been trying and failing since I completed it to think of a show that saves its very best for its very last, like Avatar did with "Sozin's Comet". Such a spectacular, rousing, pour-all-in finish. Its Part 3 "Into the Inferno", especially, instantly becomes one of my all-time favorite episodes ever. I still get thrills and chills from many music cues and visuals from this finale (Ozai first noticing Aang and zooming towards him; the melancholic orchestra that accompanies that deeply tragic sibling duel). If not for the fact that this has a sequel series, I might be tempted to rewatch the whole thing right now again.

Also, I finally know where Philip J. Fry's avatar(heh) picture comes from!:D

Sozin's Comet is definitely one of the greatest things ever. EVER! And Zuko and Azula's final Agni Kai is indeed amazing.

Now I wonder, will you watch The Legend of Korra?

Peng
09-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Yep, wouldn't miss it, even though I hear (even before I started Avatar) that it didn't measure up to this one. Wonder what the consensus is among you guys.

Philip J. Fry
09-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Yep, wouldn't miss it, even though I hear (even before I started Avatar) that it didn't measure up to this one. Wonder what the consensus is among you guys.While it doesn't have the consistent excellence of A:TLA, it has comparable heights to it's predecessor. And despite that lack of consistency, it's still good throghout it's run.

Quite worth watching.

Wryan
09-22-2018, 10:46 PM
While it doesn't have the consistent excellence of A:TLA, it has comparable heights to it's predecessor. And despite that lack of consistency, it's still good throghout it's run.

Quite worth watching.

These are my feelings as well. There are many excellent things in Korra. Season 2 is probably worst overall, but there is a whole lot I love about 1, 3 and 4.

Philip J. Fry
09-23-2018, 01:36 AM
These are my feelings as well. There are many excellent things in Korra. Season 2 is probably worst overall, but there is a whole lot I love about 1, 3 and 4.And even if book two is the weakest, it's still a good season of TV.

Philip J. Fry
06-24-2019, 03:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AbWGAzbis8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gG2tS_fQ7k

Philip J. Fry
09-23-2020, 05:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vh2ggD94PQ

Philip J. Fry
10-01-2020, 07:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlN6jr1xzTQ
Damn, it would've been a nice episode.
Would've preferred it over The Great Divide.

Philip J. Fry
10-09-2020, 10:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7jCcUEEcgo

Philip J. Fry
11-03-2020, 03:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJw7c2tKAQY

Philip J. Fry
11-06-2020, 08:08 PM

Philip J. Fry
11-08-2020, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YsYANQSUo
THE BOULDER IS PLEASED WITH THIS ENTIRE LIST!!

Skitch
11-08-2020, 05:34 PM
I just rewatched the movie because it was on Pluto...I continue to be softer on the hate. I still have the same complaints.

Philip J. Fry
11-08-2020, 06:32 PM
I just rewatched the movie because it was on Pluto...I continue to be softer on the hate. I still have the same complaints.You're braver than I, my friend.

Philip J. Fry
11-28-2020, 01:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYsdSMAODo

Philip J. Fry
01-30-2021, 04:07 AM

Philip J. Fry
02-24-2021, 10:21 PM

Philip J. Fry
03-10-2021, 01:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zpBZaC8wI

Philip J. Fry
03-22-2021, 12:41 AM

Philip J. Fry
04-09-2021, 07:12 PM
"Oh, this is worse than Omashu!"

Philip J. Fry
04-10-2021, 02:23 AM

Philip J. Fry
04-10-2021, 02:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjB19FKhHI

Philip J. Fry
04-10-2021, 02:38 AM

Philip J. Fry
04-16-2021, 09:14 PM

Whaaa?

[ETM]
04-17-2021, 12:04 AM
...what? What?!

Update 3: They have edited their pinned comment on the announcement post and now referred to this as a “fan-led, original series” and that more details will be coming on Monday

Wryan
04-18-2021, 11:07 PM
Curious. Wonder if it'll work.

Philip J. Fry
07-25-2021, 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjjeR3D7IIM

Philip J. Fry
08-07-2021, 04:29 PM

Skitch
08-07-2021, 05:17 PM
Whats with all the Asian people?

Philip J. Fry
08-07-2021, 08:32 PM
Whats with all the Asian people?What's with white Sokka?

[ETM]
08-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Those are Asian, North-American Native and mixed people, and Sokka is not white.

Philip J. Fry
09-11-2021, 01:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT7R2Y8r004

Philip J. Fry
11-04-2021, 12:40 PM
Funny thing, A few years ago on the RT forums, we were speculating about who we would've cast for a live action Avatar movie following the Shyamalan controversy and one of our posters mentioned him for Ozai. We really, really knew our shit.

Now I hope someone hears me out and get Yunjin Kim for Ursa.

Skitch
11-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Nice!

Philip J. Fry
11-08-2021, 01:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iPncjBxMY

Philip J. Fry
11-14-2021, 01:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDKeuUi1IyA

Philip J. Fry
11-16-2021, 01:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acKAJPp-xww
Man, this is one of the best Zuko analysis I've seen.

Philip J. Fry
11-17-2021, 12:49 PM
Miles Straume!

Philip J. Fry
12-13-2021, 02:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpM_0viw-78

Philip J. Fry
01-17-2022, 12:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJQgTiN6QlI

Philip J. Fry
01-17-2022, 12:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgnoEFpe-EM