PDA

View Full Version : The Old Guard (Gina Prince-Bythewood)

Dukefrukem
07-12-2020, 02:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK-X2d0lJ_s

Dukefrukem
07-12-2020, 02:11 AM
This is the absolute worst Netflix has to offer.

If 1. is Roma >>>> Marriage Story >>>> The Irishman >>>> The Ritual >>>>>>> Extraction >>>>>>>>>>>>> Triple Frontier >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6 Underground >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Then we arrive at this.

Philip J. Fry
07-12-2020, 02:18 AM
I liked the first films.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2020, 02:19 AM
I liked the first films.

In my list? Thus you should. Because that is the best Netflix has to offer.

I was putting in perspective all the netflix exclusive stuff.

Skitch
07-12-2020, 02:40 AM
I'm about an hour in and I like it a hell of a lot more than that chris hemsworth thing. At least its interesting.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2020, 10:26 AM
I'm about an hour in and I like it a hell of a lot more than that chris hemsworth thing. At least its interesting.

Interesting really? A bunch of immortals suddenly become not immortal when the plot needs it to? And a trainee immortal who has as much charisma as that sack of meat in the Godzilla reboot?

Skitch
07-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Interesting really? A bunch of immortals suddenly become not immortal when the plot needs it to? And a trainee immortal who has as much charisma as that sack of meat in the Godzilla reboot?

Yep. I'm not saying it's amazing, but good god was that hemsworth thing a snore-fest for something trying to be a Cannon film.

Edit: I havent finished either yet.

Dukefrukem
07-12-2020, 11:10 AM
We watched different movies if you're describing Hemsworth thing as a snore fest. It's filled the brim with hand to hand fighting.

Skitch
07-12-2020, 11:22 AM
We watched different movies if you're describing Hemsworth thing as a snore fest. It's filled the brim with hand to hand fighting.

I was so bored I turned it off after 30 minutes. But if you're forcing me, I'll try again....

DavidSeven
07-12-2020, 10:52 PM
Has the bones of a decent action flick and benefits a lot from Charlize Theron’s presence. However, the craftsmanship and direction are a little lacking. Has the sheen of a direct-to-video effort. And the villain is ridiculous and kind of ruins the whole thing. Passable entertainment, though. I wish we could see the concept in more capable hands and with more substantive scripting.

[ETM]
07-13-2020, 12:02 AM
Yeah, the likes of Theron and Ejiofor wouldn't have touched this with a 10" pole if things were different. I don't share Duke's vitriol, it was done well enough for what it is and Charlize doesn't disappoint, and I didn't mind any of the others either, except for Dudley's scene chewing Martin Shkreli wannabe. It plays more like a decent pilot for a SyFy show, and is exactly too long by the difference between it and a TV episode.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Dukefrukem
07-13-2020, 12:13 AM
Shocked actually.

"Who are you?"

*Shoots self in foot*

"oh you're one of them"

"Yeh I'm new"

Bitch that didn't prove anything except she's an idiot! Are you supposed to see her Wolverine healing through he shoes? Or is it the noise of the skin grafting back together what convinced you?

Passable Entertainment??

Where's Irish or Trans?

Skitch
07-13-2020, 02:00 AM
Finished this. Enjoyed. Duke not wrong on that scene, eye rolling. Still enjoyed. I'll try to finish that Hemsworth thing.

transmogrifier
07-13-2020, 03:23 AM
Where's Irish or Trans?

There is no way I am watching this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GbDfEmtoHIsVd9j7NA59iKsYi4TKyc nyYNBKY6S3ixuttN7aq2ppS7xuk8HU d_yjGNk05Nsoboge9lnlGmMMsMz8dz gmGvxy0UrqqXff

Mal
07-13-2020, 03:26 AM
The response to this has been... interesting. I'll watch this in two weeks... just have too many other movies on my "to watch" plate.

DFA1979
07-13-2020, 04:25 AM
I can't remember the last Netflix exclusive film I watched. Maybe The Highwaymen counts? I donno.

Skitch
07-13-2020, 06:34 AM

You would hate it. Dont bother.

[ETM]
07-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would bother, with anything better to do. It's exactly what you expect.

Dukefrukem
07-13-2020, 12:09 PM

I'm telling your wife to make you watch it since mine made me.

transmogrifier
07-13-2020, 01:26 PM
I'm telling your wife to make you watch it since mine made me.

Oh, she would have no interest in it either. So I'm safe for now. She is eyeing up Eurovision Song Contest though...

transmogrifier
07-13-2020, 01:28 PM
You would hate it. Dont bother.

I trust you 100% on this.

Skitch
07-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Oh, she would have no interest in it either. So I'm safe for now. She is eyeing up Eurovision Song Contest though...

I hate shitty will ferrell comedy trash and I laughed and loved a lot at this film. :D

Skitch
07-13-2020, 01:59 PM
I trust you 100% on this.

To be clear, I dont say that as any sort of judgement of you. My wife hates ghost possessiony jump scare movies and most horror in general. I wouldnt recommend her those kinds of movies because duh.

This isnt a transmogrifier movie. No judgements.

transmogrifier
07-13-2020, 02:44 PM
To be clear, I dont say that as any sort of judgement of you.

No worries, I didn't think that at all. And even if I had thought that, there are worse things for people to judge you on than "Wow, he really doesn't like generic, self-serious action!" :)

I hate shitty will ferrell comedy trash and I laughed and loved a lot at this film. :D

I'll end up watching it. Rachel McAdams will ease the pain.

Skitch
07-13-2020, 04:29 PM
I'll end up watching it. Rachel McAdams will ease the pain.
She...is just...adorable.

Idioteque Stalker
07-13-2020, 04:36 PM
I'm generally not big on McAdams, but I heard she was good in Eurovision.

DFA1979
07-14-2020, 04:57 AM
Oh yeah I saw and liked Da Five Bloods. I forgot that was Netflix only. Eurovision looks funny and enjoyable so I'll watch that one sooner or later.

[ETM]
07-16-2020, 12:05 AM
The actual Eurovision contest is dumb but has a lot of fans and inside stuff, and the best thing about the movie is that it doesn't mock or make fun of it but finds the joy and humor in embracing the silliness. The best scene is the one featuring some of the recent winners and popular contestants, and it's packs more of a punch if you're in the know.

Peng
08-06-2020, 11:22 AM
Enjoyed the too infrequent action scenes, especially the finale. But protagonists as almost monotonously serious as this bunch need a good, fun counter-villain, and both the character and Melling's performance just feel all wrong and dull. Theron saves it enough, but I hope the sequel embraces the sillier and funner aspects of this premise more readily. 6/10

Dukefrukem
08-06-2020, 12:25 PM
MC you've gone soft.

[ETM]
08-06-2020, 12:50 PM
Let's face it, streaming movies will be getting a softer reception for quite some time, everywhere.

Peng
08-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Sure, that’s why I gave the last two Netflix films I watched before this one... *check rating for Wasp Network and Eurovision* ...both 2.5/5.

Mal
08-14-2020, 10:41 PM
;624823']Let's face it, streaming movies will be getting a softer reception for quite some time, everywhere.
I hate it so much. There's an obvious difference in quality between the kind of fare that makes it to the big screen compared to most of the streaming-only films I've seen.
This movie was abysmal, clumsy, and it absolutely should not have been, especially since the action itself was the least of my complaints for it. Charlize Theron's acting was discernibly better than those around her. Change up the music, cut out the TERRIBLE villain, and there's a 60 minute movie in here that's actually watchable. I don't know how I made it to the end of this product from Netflix. Just awful.

Dukefrukem
08-17-2020, 06:46 PM
I hate it so much. There's an obvious difference in quality between the kind of fare that makes it to the big screen compared to most of the streaming-only films I've seen.
This movie was abysmal, clumsy, and it absolutely should not have been, especially since the action itself was the least of my complaints for it. Charlize Theron's acting was discernibly better than those around her. Change up the music, cut out the TERRIBLE villain, and there's a 60 minute movie in here that's actually watchable. I don't know how I made it to the end of this product from Netflix. Just awful.

Finally, someone who agrees.

[ETM]
08-18-2020, 12:35 PM
I already forgot it. That's literally it. There's always more where that came from. The same with "Project Power", and everything else.

megladon8
08-18-2020, 05:35 PM
I cannot imagine this being worse than Polar.

Skitch
08-18-2020, 10:08 PM
I cannot imagine this being worse than Polar.

With Mads Mikklesnon? Yeah Polar was way worse.

megladon8
08-18-2020, 11:56 PM
With Mads Mikklesnon? Yeah Polar was way worse.

Thank God. 'Cause for me, Polar was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. Holy sweet Jesus that was one awful, mean spirited, ugly movie.

[ETM]
08-20-2020, 09:30 PM
No, this is competently shot, but more like a TV show style action series, and it's by the numbers but it's not mind numbingly bad, just forgettable. If they didn't have Theron and (barely in it) Ejiofor, nobody would care one bit.

DavidSeven
08-24-2020, 03:24 AM
I’m with ETM. I’m surprised this movie could inspire such a strong negative reaction. It’s too ‘blah’ for that. Admittedly, it is getting way too much credit generally for clearing Netflix’s low bar for features. But certainly, it’s way more watchable than the 30 minutes I tolerated of their Michael Bay movie.