PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Match-Cut (36 Chambers) (...the hip hop thread)

Justin
11-05-2007, 11:35 PM
That was the best title I could come up with, I am open to suggestions.

I listened through some of the new Jay-Z album at work, it sounds alright, I am a fan of the Blue Magic (http://music.islandrecords.com/www2/av_player/AVPlayer.php?av_asset_id=12173&pid=2566&cms_site_id=137&av_type_id=1) single he has out even if it is pretty much a Clipse track with Jay-Z doing the verses. And also the new Little Brother album is pretty enjoyable, and it is actually interesting because it seems like they have potential to grow now that they have other producers besides 9th Wonder on the album. And I have also been listening to a ton of Gang Starr lately, pretty much every album they have done since Step in the Arena is great.

Ezee E
11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm waiting on the Ghostface / Danger Doom collaboration. That will be glorious.

Cult
11-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Cool.

Henry Gale
11-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah I'm definately liking Jay's American Gangster a lot more than Kingdom Come (which for me was pretty much a complete dud aside from "Do U Wanna Ride" and "Beach Chair"). My favourites so far on this new one are "American Dreamin'", "Roc Boys" and "Ignorant Shit".

He definately seems to work really well when he throws his LP's together quickly like he did here (writing and recording it in 4 weeks) and with The Blueprint back in 2001. It's no Black Album, but it's more of the pre-retirement, fun Hov songs we're used to, and with a concept.

Justin
11-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Only Ghostface could pull off an album cover like this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/1909069002_1774956364.jpg

Duncan
11-08-2007, 06:32 AM
He doesn't pull it off.

Henry Gale
11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I kind of liked this earlier one, even if it was a fake.

http://www.mixunit.com/ProductImages/cdalbums/CDAL944.jpg

rocus
11-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Only Ghostface could pull off an album cover like this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/1909069002_1774956364.jpg

Is it an overreaction to say that almost everything wrong with the values of our society is pictured in that album cover?

Cult
11-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't like it either--especially after his last cover was so great.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/images/fishscale.jpg

Justin
11-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I like it in the sense that I understand it is completely ridiculous and over the top so I can laugh at it. I am sure it is somewhat significant to the theme of the album. And while we are on the subject of Ghostface covers, this one trumps all.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/551/60511551.jpg

Henry Gale
11-09-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't like it either--especially after his last cover was so great.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/images/fishscale.jpg

That wasn't the final cover though, this sadly was:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000E97HB2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Justin
11-10-2007, 04:35 AM
American Gangster definitely gets the bad taste of Kingdom Come out of my mouth. It is a pretty solid album overall with no bad tracks. My favorites are Pray, Blue Magic, and Success.

Henry Gale
11-10-2007, 05:58 AM
American Gangster definitely gets the bad taste of Kingdom Come out of my mouth. It is a pretty solid album overall with no bad tracks. My favorites are Pray, Blue Magic, and Success.

I really don't like "Hello Brooklyn 2.0". I find the beat kind of agitating and Lil Wayne doesn't bring anything to the track for me (if anything, he takes it down a notch). So I'd say that's a track I'm not fond of. The rest though, *thumbs up*.

Justin
11-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't mind the track, and I guess I have just gotten used to ignoring Lil' Wayne after his guest spots on Kanye's and Little Brother's album.

Acapelli
11-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Hello Brooklyn 2.0 is probably my favorite song on the album, and American Gangster is probably my favorite rap album of the year. The song itself is a nice contrast to the soulful beats that populate the rest of the album, and I love Wayne's sing-songy flow. It's nice to see that Jay can put out a quality album.

My other favorite albums of the year:
Grit Boys - Ghetto Reality in Texas
UGK - Inderground Kingz
Kanye West - Graduation
Spank Rock and Benny Blanco - Bangers and Cash

I need to listen to DJ Jazzy Jeff's The Return of the Magnificent and T-Rock's Da Kush a bit more to throw them on a favorites list.

Saya
11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
My other favorite albums of the year:
Grit Boys - Ghetto Reality in Texas
UGK - Inderground Kingz
Kanye West - Graduation

That's a fantastic album and also one of my favorites this year. Eardrum by Talib Kweli was pretty great aswell.

I haven't listened to American Gangster yet. I'll definitely will do it soon. I'm hearing nothing but good things about it.

There are still some nice releases for the rest of this year like Lupe Fiasco's The Cool and Ghostface's new album(s). And maybe even Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II? I hope that will make it out this year. :P

Justin
11-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Some other good ones that came out this year.

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Pharoahe Monch - Desire

The production on the El-P album is pretty incredible.

Kurosawa Fan
11-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I liked Common's new album as well. Loved Pharaohe Monch and Talib Kweli. Glad to see them mentioned.

Cult
11-10-2007, 08:59 PM
This new project is just slightly too filthy for me. And that's saying something!

Justin
11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I don't care for 2 Live Crew at all, so I don't seem myself really checking out Bangers and Cash anytime soon.

Saya
11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Pharaohe Monch's new album is indeed a good one.

I've been listening to Liquid Swords by GZA a lot again lately. It's so atmospheric good. Probably my favorite Wu-Tang solo album.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/a0/f8/c01c7220eca0b1c74d8a5010.L.jpg

Henry Gale
11-12-2007, 04:40 AM
So with the album now less than a month away and bunch of variations floating around the net, each of these have been said by different sources to be the cover for 8 Diagrams.

http://nahright.com/news/wp-content/images/wu-8dgs-cvr.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/1829345562_0331371af2.jpg

I don't know, I kinda like the concepts of both, but not necessarily the final executions. The second reminds me a lot of GZA's Beneath The Surface art. (http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/6536/gzabeneathol2.jpg)

We'll see soon enough what they go with.

Justin
11-12-2007, 04:43 AM
It looks like one of those crappy mid 90's covers, or a current period bad southern rap cover.

Justin
11-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Some artist named Bullion has meshed up Pet Sounds with the beats of J Dilla, and it works pretty damn well because it uses the samples of Pet Sounds in a style that is very Dilla-esque. Pretty enjoyable mix if you ask me.

http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2007/11/j-dilla-vs-beach-boys.html

Mr. Valentine
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
they reviewed the new Wu-Tang cd in the new issue of Bust Magazine (a kind of feminist, indie, craft magazine my wife subscribes to) of all places and they said it was the best hip hop album of the year.

Ezee E
11-20-2007, 03:10 AM
they reviewed the new Wu-Tang cd in the new issue of Bust Magazine (a kind of feminist, indie, craft magazine my wife subscribes to) of all places and they said it was the best hip hop album of the year.
Makes sense. It's Wu-Tang.

And the hip hop CDs this year have all been pretty lame besides the 1-2 tracks you already know.

Justin
11-20-2007, 03:38 AM
And the hip hop CDs this year have all been pretty lame besides the 1-2 tracks you already know.

I was expecting a down year since last year was so good(Ghostface, Roots, Clipse, two J Dilla albums, Lupe, Nas, etc.).

Ezee E
11-20-2007, 03:39 AM
I was expecting a down year since last year was so good(Ghostface, Roots, Clipse, two J Dilla albums, Lupe, Nas, etc.).
True.

But Lupe was good?

Justin
11-20-2007, 04:37 AM
While it has not held up as well after multiple listens, I still enjoy it.

Henry Gale
11-20-2007, 05:43 AM
In a year with solid albums from Kanye (especially), Jay-Z, Common and Talib Kweli, and with only a month to go in the year and we still have records from Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan AND Ghostface Killah to look forward to, I'd say it's a pretty good year for hip-hop.

I'd disagree about Lupe's first album. It's been over a year since it came out and I still find it to be really enjoyable after dozens of listens (especially from the point of "He Say She Say" on). Can't wait for "The Cool".

Henry Gale
11-25-2007, 01:02 AM
So Wu-Tang's 8 Diagrams leaked today and it's pretty damn good. Even if I don't find it anything amazing on the first listen, it's still a really solid album with some already memorable hooks and verses. Ghostface seems really bored on it though. But after reading his thoughts on working with the Clan on it, I'm not too surprised.

Justin
11-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I must say that while I do enjoy 8 Diagrams, overall it just feels like an awkward album. The beats I feel are a step down for RZA, who over his career kept growing and growing. My favorite tracks are probably Rushing Elephants, Stick Me for My Riches, Weak Spot, Windmill, and Wolves. But since when does the Wu-Tang clan do a song about their favorite girl? Starter just comes off as being pretty corny, that track should have been dropped in favor of Watch Your Mouth. And the fact that Ghostface is the only member absent from the ODB tribute song is a little weird too.

Henry Gale
11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I'd agree about some of the beats and that it feels like they were way less together on this one than with past efforts. But it does have some great tracks like Rushing Elephants and The Heart Gently Weeps (even if the lyrics on that one don't seem to fit the song at all) and couple more that you listed.

Since posting that a few days ago though I can't say I've really been too eager to go back to it too soon.

Saya
11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Yep, it's a very uneven album. There are some great tracks and some mediocre ones. Definitely not their best album. I think Method Man is excellent on it though.

Henry Gale
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I think Method Man is excellent on it though.

I know, really. It was like such a reminder to me that "oh yeah, the way he got to be so famous and be things like a somewhat successful comedy actor and appear in so many things was from him being a great MC" and he's still got it.

About 1:15 into "Wolves" I remember being particularly impressed first time around.

Justin
11-28-2007, 11:57 PM
His last album 4:21 was not bad actually, I listened to it for quite a while. But I agree that he sounded great on the album, U-God too.

Justin
12-02-2007, 04:48 AM
The Big Doe Rehab blows 8 Diagrams out of the water. And these comments from Ghost kind of shocked me.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=192283

A RZA-less Wu album would be pretty different, but also possibly refreshing.

Henry Gale
12-02-2007, 05:00 AM
The Big Doe Rehab blows 8 Diagrams out of the water. And these comments from Ghost kind of shocked me.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=192283

A RZA-less Wu album would be pretty different, but also possibly refreshing.

That link doesn't work for me because I'm in Canada. But yeah, Ghostface's comments about 8 Diagrams have been pretty negative for a while, saying things like how only RZA's happy with it and they want to make their own album without him.

Still haven't heard Big Doe Rehab yet though.

Mr. Valentine
12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I've listened to The Big Doe Rehab twice now all the way through and i'm very dissapointed easily Ghost's worst solo album. no standout tracks, mediocre beats and maybe 3 or 4 songs that i could see myself listening to again.

Acapelli
12-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Holy shit, Pimp C is dead.

R.I.P.

Saya
12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
R.I.P. :sad:

Right after making one of the best rap albums of the year.

Ezee E
12-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Anyone check out the new Wyclef CD yet?

It hasn't gotten great reviews, but I'm just wondering how it is compared to his previous CD. I dug that a ton.

Justin
12-07-2007, 06:20 AM
I've listened to The Big Doe Rehab twice now all the way through and i'm very dissapointed easily Ghost's worst solo album. no standout tracks, mediocre beats and maybe 3 or 4 songs that i could see myself listening to again.

Really? To me Bulletproof Wallets is easily his worst, even though it has the best album art. If I had to rank Ghost; Ironman > Supreme Clientele > Fishscale > Big Doe Rehab > Pretty Toney > More Fish > Bulletproof. And keep in mind that everything except Bulletproof Wallets, I love.

Mr. Valentine
12-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Really? To me Bulletproof Wallets is easily his worst, even though it has the best album art. If I had to rank Ghost; Ironman > Supreme Clientele > Fishscale > Big Doe Rehab > Pretty Toney > More Fish > Bulletproof. And keep in mind that everything except Bulletproof Wallets, I love.

yeah, i just listened to it again twice today and still not feeling it. my order goes:

Iron Man > Supreme Clientele > Fishscale > More Fish > Bulletproof Wallets > Pretty Toney > Big Doe Rehab.

after listening to a medley of his older albums right after listening to Big Doe Rehab i've got to say alot of the problem is in the boring production.

Mr. Valentine
12-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Wu-related:

I'm really hoping we get another GZA album soon, he's my favorite member and his last Grandmasters with DJ Muggs was fantastic. I'm listening to Beneath the Surface right now.

Ezee E
12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah. I just listened to the Big Doe Rehab today and there's not really any noteworthy tracks on it. Pretty lame.

Mr. Valentine
12-11-2007, 10:16 PM
i'm only 2 minutes into 8 Diagrams and it's already better than anything on Big Doe Rehab.

Justin
12-12-2007, 02:35 AM
i'm only 2 minutes into 8 Diagrams and it's already better than anything on Big Doe Rehab.

It goes downhill pretty quickly until Windmill.

Ezee E
12-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Still have to listen to it all, but I can agree off the few tracks I have heard.

Mr. Valentine
12-12-2007, 06:22 AM
It goes downhill pretty quickly until Windmill.

i've listened to it three or four times now and i love it, not a throw away track in the bunch.

Justin
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
i've listened to it three or four times now and i love it, not a throw away track in the bunch.

You actually like Starter?

Saya
12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Anyone else listened to the new Lupe Fiasco album?

I haven't got to all of it yet, but the song Paris, Tokyo is shaping up to be my favorite.

Acapelli
12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I really want We Got It 4 Cheap Vol. 3.

Henry Gale
12-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Anyone else listened to the new Lupe Fiasco album?

I haven't got to all of it yet, but the song Paris, Tokyo is shaping up to be my favorite.

Really? "Paris, Tokyo" is probably my least favourite if I had to choose. "Streets On Fire" is definately the song I'm listening to from it most. "The Coolest" and "Superstar" are still superb, but I've had them for ages to right now they are quite hitting me the same way the rest of it is.

But yeah, the album is really good. I found his lyrics and flow to be some of the best on any hip-hop album this year, but I found myself having some reservations about the production at times. Still buying it on Tuesday though.

Saya
12-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I really like Paris, Tokyo because it has this old school vibe. Very laidback. Sounds a bit like Mos Def aswell. :)

Hmm, I think Go Go Gadget Flow is the one I dislike the most at the moment. I hate that hook.

Mr. Valentine
12-17-2007, 07:10 AM
You actually like Starter?

after listening to it enough times to be more objective yeah Starter is a weak point. i also really wished they would have kept the horrible male r&b hooks off three of the songs which wouldn't be that bad without them.

My favorite tracks:

Campfire
Rushing Elephants
Unpredictable
The Heart Gently Weeps
Wolves (i'm not a fan of the George Clinton hook but the track is great)
Windmill
Weak Spot

Weakest Tracks:

Gun Will Go
Stick Me For My Riches
Starter

i still think overall it's a great album and i hope they don't take so long to release their next group cd.

Mr. Valentine
12-17-2007, 07:16 AM
i had been out a working car stereo for a few months so now that i bought a new one i'll give The Big Doe Rehab another listen. i've been on a used cd buying binge lately. i've picked up in the last two weeks:

Method Man & Redman - Blackout (owned before)
Raekwon - Immobilarity (owned before)
Masta Killa - Made in Brooklyn
Hell Razah - Renaissance Child
Method Man - 4:21 The Day After
U-God - Golden Arms (owned before)

Ezee E
12-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Psh, I like Starter. I need to listen to the whole album beginning to end to judge it. It's pretty good though.

Horbgorbler
01-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I just really want to quote this:

Hear ye, hear ye! How dare ye
Go up against the king who do his thing tri-yearly?
They're too carefree with their mouths around here
Off with his head, and display it at Town Square
On top a seven-feet spike, make sure it's on tight
In light of when the peasants throw stones with all their might
Skull get smashed for weeks
'Til vulture beaks eats the last meat off your cheeks
Maybe then they'll know the right words to speak
Out loud, at home, in the world, or in the streets
It's no escape, just in case
All the kings' mens and 'em decides to go apes
The most slick-talking of burly guys
Get caught and boiled in oil like curly fries
Even those that's Mr. Furley's size that earned the fate

Could all get burned at the stake
Send word to his closest kins, that for his sins
We claim his throne, his providence, and its citizens
In the name of King Geedorah! ...

Doom is...just...damn...

Boner M
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Percee P's Perseverance is rocking my world at the moment. Anyone a fan?

Justin
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Revisited The Roots last album Game Theory, I loved the album when it was released, and still do now, only now I believe it to be their second best album they have ever done, just behind Things Fall Apart. In the Music still makes me go crazy whenever I hear ?uestlove's drums go to work.

krazed
02-08-2008, 12:55 AM
So, uh, anybody wanna talk about We Got it 4 Cheap Vol. 3? Straight fire. I think it's almost equal with vol. 2. So good.

Sorry I don't respect who you applaudin / lil nigga flow but his metaphor borin / don't make me turn daddy's little girl into orphan / that would mean i'd have to kill baby like abortion

!!!!. No way Wayne will be able to pull anything this great off. And I like Wayne.

D_Davis
02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I just heard some Brother Ali for the first time - this dude is pretty awesome.

On my way down to Portland I listened to PE's It Takes a Nation of Millions (my favorite rap album of all time), Del's I Wish My Brother..., and the Digable Planet's Blowout Comb. Good stuff.

Kurious Jorge v3.1
02-12-2008, 04:33 AM
I just heard some Brother Ali for the first time - this dude is pretty awesome.

Brother Ali is alright, he's got about as much street cred as a heavy albino white guy can possibly get! He's is usually blessed by top notch production from Ant. I dig him.

My local paper confused him as being a former member of A Tribe Called Quest when they were reviewing upcoming local shows!

D_Davis
02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Brother Ali is alright, he's got about as much street cred as a heavy albino white guy can possibly get! He's is usually blessed by top notch production from Ant. I dig him.

My local paper confused him as being a former member of A Tribe Called Quest when they were reviewing upcoming local shows!

Yeah, I don't really care about street cred. :)

Ant's production is amazing, and Ali's lyrics and delivery are pretty good. I dig his style.

I can't wait for Atmosphere's new one:

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Gotta Paint That Shit Gold

Or something like that. I love Atmosphere.

origami_mustache
02-12-2008, 02:05 PM
anyone have the new Subtitle album?...I'm having trouble finding it. He apparently goes by his birth name now...Giovanni Marks.

D_Davis
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd like to give a little plug for a group here in Seattle called, The Rebelz. Their album, Operation: Dark City, is really good. I worked with these guys on a failed project, and they are super cool cats.

The album is available on iTunes, so check it out. It's a really cool sci-fi concept hip hop album with good beats and decent lyrics.

It's not Earth-shattering or anything, but it's pretty dang cool, and it's got a sense of humor as well.

In the near distant future, the world is trapped in the grip of a corrupt and oppressive regime. All nations and peoples have been forcefully merged into the sprawling metropolis known as Dark City. Freedom of expression is long dead, HipHop has been outlawed, and an invisible evil cult known only as the Faekerz, rules Dark City from the shadows. Only one brave band of Rebelz dares to stand against this nefarious foe... Welcome to the Rebellion.

http://www.therebelz.com/

Horbgorbler
02-16-2008, 01:24 AM
http://www.ni9e.com/nwa.html

Straight Outta Compton: The Explicit Content Only Version

NSFW, obviously. Amusing in the cheapest, most puerile way.

EyesWideOpen
08-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Picked up three used cds today for $12.

Flipmode Squad - The Imperial Album
Boot Camp Clik - For The People
Lyricist Lounge Volume 2

I used to own these cds along time ago but lost them years ago.

Lasse
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Does anyone listen to Looptroop Rockers?

Looptroop Rockers - Trance Fat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiW0CW2E9I)

Qrazy
08-04-2008, 11:06 PM
On my way down to Portland I listened to PE's It Takes a Nation of Millions (my favorite rap album of all time), Del's I Wish My Brother..., and the Digable Planet's Blowout Comb. Good stuff.

I dislike all of these albums. At first I thought I liked Digable planets but then I started actually listening to their MC'ing... bleh. Never been able to get into PE or NWA although I've tried, too early and raw (re: simplistic) for my tastes, can't get a musical foothold on it so to speak. I'm actually not sure if I dislike that Del album or not, listened to a bunch of his stuff all at once a few years ago and came to the conclusion that I greatly prefer Del when he's working with others, I have less use for his solo stuff although Deltron 3030 is solid.

Other than that I've been out of the scene lately, haven't been actively looking for/listening to music for about two years now. The last two shows I saw were somewhere within the past two years though... saw Cunninlynguists and Tonedeff with other folks in the baby blue crew... very high energy, quality show. Tonedeff can spit like a gattling gun. The other show was The Roots in Montreal... nice to finally see them live as about ten years ago they were pretty much my entry point into Hip-hop.

Other than that just been listening to old albums I've had for a long time at this point.... K'naan, Jedi Mind Tricks, Common, Mos, Kweli, Gang Starr, Dilated Peoples, Hieroglyphics, Tribe, De La, Zion I, Non-prophets, etc, etc.

D_Davis
08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I dislike all of these albums.

:confused:

Qrazy
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
:confused:

I retract that comment in relation to the Del album until I can fully listen to it again, I listened to a bunch back to back so they kind of got mushed together in my mind.

D_Davis
08-04-2008, 11:56 PM
You still get a :confused: for not liking PE, especially It Takes a Nation of Millions. It's one of the best.

Qrazy
08-05-2008, 12:01 AM
You still get a :confused: for not liking PE, especially It Takes a Nation of Millions. It's one of the best.

It has it's historical importance no denying, I just place little value on it as an album unto itself.

EyesWideOpen
08-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I was feeling nostalgic so i dl'd two songs i loved back in the day (Skee-Lo - I Wish & Lucas - Lucas With the Lid Off). I also bought the Big Punisher - Capital Punishment album. I forgot how fantastic the Big Pun album was.

D_Davis
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I was feeling nostalgic so i dl'd two songs i loved back in the day (Skee-Lo - I Wish & Lucas - Lucas With the Lid Off).

I've got both of these albums on tape.

:)

The Lucas album is pretty good. Some of the tracks remind me of the Fu Schnickens good stuff.