PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania (Season 3)

Dukefrukem
04-20-2020, 12:18 AM
It's awesome. Best yet I feel.

https://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/castlevania-season-3.jpg

Dukefrukem
04-20-2020, 12:19 AM
also

Skitch
04-20-2020, 12:44 AM
I loved it too.

Wryan
04-25-2020, 01:27 AM
I'm halfway thru season 3 and oh shit this is marvelous. I had no idea quite what to expect after the ending of season 2, but I am loving this. Some of the writing is a bit stilted around Trevor and Sypha, but there are also some fantastic, long-held scenes and conversations (it really lets the characters have depth and intrigue) and some great new characters and actors. Who doesn't love hearing Bill Nighy? I'm also liking the sketched-in details of courts in other lands/cultures, as well as the quartet of sisters plotting domination. I'm not even mad that there hasn't really been much action so far. Can't wait to finish. Hope it finishes strong.

Dukefrukem
04-25-2020, 01:29 AM
I feel like it's the most complete throughout the season. I loved everything.

Wryan
04-25-2020, 01:36 AM
The long convo on the boat between the Captain and Isaac was wonderful.

Skitch
04-25-2020, 01:39 AM
I feel like it's the most complete throughout the season. I loved everything.

I feel like each season had to work so hard to exist. I dont/wont trust my reviews of each season until I watch it all again (which I totally will).

Wryan
04-25-2020, 03:23 AM
Oh my god "The Harvest"! What an amazing episode! I cannot believe they accomplished so much during this single 25-minute episode, so much of it without any dialogue. Just stunning.

Wryan
04-25-2020, 03:52 AM
Finished the season. The stuff with Alucard and the Asian siblings isn't quite as strong as material elsewhere, and I'm not entirely sure I see the point of it all or was convinced of their reasoning, but the rest of it is just too strong to ignore. I didn't love the brief little forays into computer generated animation, as that always just sticks out terribly, like the cutscene of a video game you played in your childhood that you forgot was so bad. Overall, still, this was aces. Loved it, can't wait for 4!

Dukefrukem
04-25-2020, 12:28 PM
I didn't love the brief little forays into computer generated animation, as that always just sticks out terribly, like the cutscene of a video game you played in your childhood that you forgot was so bad. Overall, still, this was aces. Loved it, can't wait for 4!

Oh I forgot about that. Yeh I agree that was a bit of a weird decision.

Morris Schæffer
04-25-2020, 06:20 PM
So basically this achieved what a plethora of movies couldn’t. To take a popular videogame, adapt it succesfully so that it can claim its rightful place next to its electronic inspiration. Why did they succeed when so many others have failed to do game adaptations justice? Please ignore Herr Uwe Boll. Which coincidentally rhymes with Lol.

I want to see this show, been meanin’ to for some time.

Dukefrukem
04-25-2020, 08:11 PM
So basically this achieved what a plethora of movies couldn’t. To take a popular videogame, adapt it succesfully so that it can claim its rightful place next to its electronic inspiration. Why did they succeed when so many others have failed to do game adaptations justice? Please ignore Herr Uwe Boll. Which coincidentally rhymes with Lol.

I want to see this show, been meanin’ to for some time.

Can ask the same thing about the DC Animated Universe. It's all good to stellar.

Wryan
04-25-2020, 08:11 PM
The show overall has its problems. Warren Ellis's attempts to be funny sometimes fall flat. Some subplots aren't as useful or as interesting as others. But for my money, it gets the spirit of gloom and dourness of the Castlevania story just right ("It must have been a legendary battle!" / "Mostly just desperate and sad."). Seems some purists thought the third season was terrible because it "wasn't Castlevania." But since it literally just picks up right after the end of the second season and progresses from there, I don't really get the complaint. Sure the third season is a little more "in the world of Castlevania" than actual dungeons and castles and such, but that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. We get to branch out a bit and see some of the wider world and experience some of its cultures and people as well as their problems.

Funniest line in season 3: "What the fuck is toilet paper?"

Wryan
04-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Oh something else I haven't mentioned yet is how wonderfully sinister the monk Sala and his priory mates are in the third season. Jesus, his eyes are just something else. They nailed that distant, eerie, lunatic coldness. Really unnerving.