PDA

View Full Version : Better Call Saul (Season 5)

Ezee E
02-26-2020, 06:13 AM
It's BACK

Grouchy
02-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Already caught up. As good as ever.

I don't think I fully understood what "Gene Takavic" was doing in his apartment before being recognized by the taxi driver. I mean, he dug up some hidden gems, but I didn't understand that scene and maybe I wasn't supposed to yet.

Ezee E
03-09-2020, 03:25 PM
While Breaking Bad is certainly the better show in terms of building suspense and the arc of Walter White/Jesse Pinkman, you get the feeling that the creators and Odenkirk are much happier about this show and the fact that they get to do almost whatever they want with this show. The arc of Saul Goodman and Kim Wexler is probably something screenwriters dream of being able to tell.

Kind of want to see Lalo and Hank interact with each other.

Peng
03-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Already caught up. As good as ever.

I don't think I fully understood what "Gene Takavic" was doing in his apartment before being recognized by the taxi driver. I mean, he dug up some hidden gems, but I didn't understand that scene and maybe I wasn't supposed to yet.

He was listening to police radio in case his cover got blown (in which his association with Walter would make it big news) and the gems are prepared payment for Robert Forster in case he needs to disappear again.

Ezee E
03-11-2020, 06:46 PM
I fell asleep during some of yesterday's episode.

Looks to be transitional as all things are in place for Mike, Lalo VS. Gus, and Saul being an undeclared lawyer for the Salamancas.

Peng
03-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Finally caught up, and damn is Kim asking Jimmy for help in this case the start of what finally pushes them apart, possibly at the end of this season? I can see it backfires and she has to go up against him, with his full, new Saul personna used towards her to the point of no return. Also, after being pretty separated in storylines in last two seasons to the show's detriment (I often wish for a few years that this series will just be about Jimmy/Kim now), glad that Nacho's has dovetailed with Jimmy's, but Mike's still... feels like a well-written, well-acted but minor side-story.

Peng
03-18-2020, 03:45 AM
Once again I wish that this series would have been (or can afford to be?) only about Jimmy/Kim now. It’s the only plotline that gains sweeping breadth from the meticulously detailed storytelling and measured pacing, whereas other stories only take flight for me when they intersect with the main one, and otherwise are often only solid, or even at times drags along rather than digs deeper (as Mike’s this week does). I’ve longed to join the “better than Breaking Bad” crowd for some years now because the way Jimmy/Kim’s story is carefully plotted out and artfully told feels so unique in TV landscape and can definitely transcend BB. But it shares space in the series with other more BB-beholden ones that really should have the pulpier storytelling like BB, so I can’t commit to that notion.

Grouchy
03-19-2020, 08:49 PM
But it shares space in the series with other more BB-beholden ones that really should have the pulpier storytelling like BB, so I can’t commit to that notion.
Love the show, but can't really disagree with this.

Grouchy
03-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Once again I wish that this series would have been (or can afford to be?) only about Jimmy/Kim now.
So what did you think about today's episode?

Ezee E
03-25-2020, 07:02 PM
Eh.... This season is more of the same, and just seems like it's dragging things out. The last three episodes have been very forgetful and repetitive.

Peng
03-26-2020, 06:18 AM
So what did you think about today's episode?

Best one since Season 3's "Chicanery" (aka Jimmy vs Chuck in court). Even my past gripe of two supporting characters' lesser-told storylines resolves by combining into one pretty cackling operation. And of course the Jimmy/Kim story fires on all cylinders, culminating in two of the best sequences of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cy83AGFL8

(the sequence is longer than this, but this is the central one)
("I followed the money and it was clear - my bank was funding terrorism!" lmaoooo)

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02BHv6iMzg

Kinda criminal that Rhea Seehorn hasn't been nominated in any high-profile thing yet - Emmy, Globe, or SAG (the latter once only as part of ensemble). Her voice breaking as she's thinking a plan through rips my heart out.

Grouchy
03-26-2020, 02:01 PM
Kinda criminal that Rhea Seehorn hasn't been nominated in any high-profile thing yet - Emmy, Globe, or SAG (the latter once only as part of ensemble). Her voice breaking as she's thinking a plan through rips my heart out.
A-men. I have no idea where they got her from, but that was brilliant casting. She completely owns the character.

Peng
03-31-2020, 05:45 AM
Stellar episode as it continues from the great last one, of having all four main players intersect and be on the same wavelength pacing/storytelling-wise. Only Mike seems to make peace with the role he's heading towards at ("Decided to play the cards I was dealt"), but it's kind of heartbreaking to see Jimmy, Kim, and Nacho struggling and failing to get out of their current trajectories.

Ezee E
04-01-2020, 04:25 AM
Stellar indeed. BCS is going to end the season on fire despite being pretty boring midseason, methinks.

Peng
04-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Damn, this episode. Better Call Saul really goes full Breaking Bad here -- director Vince Gilligan, a storyline single focus, and multiple nail-biting, often violent "how do we get out of this one" scenarios -- without abandoning its own rock base of distinct character development and storytelling (most notably in the Kim scenes, which turns from moving to terrifying over the course of the episode). One of the show's all-timers.

Seriously though, this must be Kim's endgame? Either separating from Saul to protect herself from the cartel, or... (an alternative too distressing to state out loud)

Ezee E
04-08-2020, 06:06 AM
Yeah. That might be an all-timer "oh no" to see Kim's decision.

The entire episode was very cinematic obviously. Every character was on their A-level here. Very curious how it'll end out.

Grouchy
04-09-2020, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I don't think Kim's leaving Saul after this episode's prison scene. Their love story is all the more tragic because it's so believable.

Anyway, one of the all time great episodes of the show. I love it when Gilligan gives off those spaghetti western vibes.

Ezee E
04-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I don't think Kim's leaving Saul after this episode's prison scene. Their love story is all the more tragic because it's so believable.

Anyway, one of the all time great episodes of the show. I love it when Gilligan gives off those spaghetti western vibes.

Certainly not. Saul would have to be much more devastated in BB for her to be killed off. Either she completely leaves him, goes into a WPP, or ends up being a lawyer for the cartel herself is what I see happening.

Peng
04-21-2020, 06:39 PM
I love the way the showrunners (probably) recognize the audience's Kim question, and then reprogram the agency from the long-standard "what's going to happen to her" to "what she's going to do" now, which is a refreshing narrative turn that feels both surprising and fitting. I wonder if they slyly planned it with the episode's name as well, turning "Something Unforgivable" that sounded pre-air like something that will be done to drive her away, to a potential act she might commit instead. Also love the flip of last season's last scene, in which Jimmy and Kim now reverse roles; the impact is not as lastingly downbeat, but coming after his "Am I bad to you?" makes it a disquieting note nonetheless.

Lalo's steps echoing to thunder-like noise in the last scene have me freak out for Nacho already next season.

Ezee E
04-21-2020, 11:44 PM
Yeah, the show sure figured out that Lalo was a hit. Can't wait to see how that ends up in the final season.

Hopefully it's not a two year wait... Jonathan Banks is 73 years old. Mark Margolis is 80.

Is there any possibility that Nacho, Lalo, and Kim all live through this? That'd be the biggest surprise. After all, Saul was afraid when he was kidnapped that it was Nacho or Lalo...

I also wonder if Breaking Bad season 1 merges with Better Call Saul's final season somewhere. Blue Meth coming up, Tuco back out in the public...

Ezee E
04-22-2020, 03:25 AM
So, what Marvel villain does Tony Dalton get the big paycheck for?

Think he'd be great as Kraven.

Peng
04-22-2020, 04:10 AM
Your post reminded how I lol-ed hard at this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWHXj78VcAA8fIZ?format=jpg&name=large

Grouchy
04-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Is there any possibility that Nacho, Lalo, and Kim all live through this? That'd be the biggest surprise. After all, Saul was afraid when he was kidnapped that it was Nacho or Lalo...
I just rewatched that scene. He says "it was Ignacio" and wonders if Lalo sent them. So, Lalo is clearly alive in the Breaking Bad timeline. He could be sent to prison, I guess. Things not looking that good for Nacho...

Agreed with Peng about Kim. It's great how the writers took in consideration all the fears and fan theories and turned them on their head. But it was clearly foreshadowed by how Kim enjoyed the small hustles they did with Jimmy like the tequila one. And, come on, let's face it - Hamlin is a rat. He deserves bad things happening to him even if it's shocking seeing how eager Kim is to provoke them.

Ezee E
04-23-2020, 04:26 AM
Agreed with Peng about Kim. It's great how the writers took in consideration all the fears and fan theories and turned them on their head. But it was clearly foreshadowed by how Kim enjoyed the small hustles they did with Jimmy like the tequila one. And, come on, let's face it - Hamlin is a rat. He deserves bad things happening to him even if it's shocking seeing how eager Kim is to provoke them.

Yeah. I was actually waiting for her to laugh because she's always been able to see right through Hamlin.

Gizmo
04-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Great season. Already ready for the next episode :(

Morris Schæffer
05-02-2020, 03:39 PM
So good so far. Best season. About 6 eps to go.

Morris Schæffer
05-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Gets better and better. An unstoppable freight train.

Morris Schæffer
05-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Gets better and better. An unstoppable freight train.

Lol only ten episodes. I guess I'm done. Can't wait for the final season.

Ezee E
05-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Lol only ten episodes. I guess I'm done. Can't wait for the final season.

Certainly an unexpected way to finish the season, by focusing on the villain.