PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible Man (Leigh Whannell)

Ivan Drago
02-26-2020, 05:27 AM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZjFhM2I4ZDYtZWMwNC00NTYzLW E3MDgtNjgxYmM3ZWMxYmVmXkEyXkFq cGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SY100 0_CR0,0,631,1000_AL_.jpg

IMDB (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051906/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisible_Man_(2020_film))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSBsNeYqh-k

Ivan Drago
02-27-2020, 06:48 PM
I loved this! (https://www.foxforcefivenews.com/the-invisible-man-is-a-terrifying-horror-film-with-a-tremendous-turn-from-elisabeth-moss-review/)

Oh, and to those who thought that the trailer gave everything away. . .it doesn't.

Skitch
02-27-2020, 07:17 PM
I'm hearing really good things about this from sources I trust.

Ezee E
02-28-2020, 04:38 AM
Enjoyed this a lot.

Yes, there are some major plot holes that you could rip this movie apart with.

However, it's so confidently directed, effectively suspenseful, and with Moss leading the way, it's worth the time.

Ezee E
02-28-2020, 04:49 AM
Is there anything factual in the movie that Griffin was behind any of this at all? Or was he just killed in cold blood and she really was kinda/sorta driven crazy?

Pop Trash
02-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Is there anything factual in the movie that Griffin was behind any of this at all? Or was he just killed in cold blood and she really was kinda/sorta driven crazy?

Huh? Your theory is that his brother was the one doing it the whole time and that Griffin was telling the truth at the end? That's interesting. Basically leaves Cecelia as the gaslighting killer at the end.

What plot holes were you referring to?

Milky Joe
03-05-2020, 03:20 AM
That seems nonsensical though, given that we learn that Cecelia was abused and manipulated by Adrian long before the movie started. It's not like he just suddenly started being a psychopath after she left him. She left him for a reason.

Great movie though.

transmogrifier
03-05-2020, 03:27 AM
That seems nonsensical though, given that we learn that Cecelia was abused and manipulated by Adrian long before the movie started. It's not like he just suddenly started being a psychopath after she left him. She left him for a reason.

Great movie though.

It also doesn't make much sense for the brother on his own to target Cecelia to any degree, let alone the psychotic degree he does in the movie. There is no motive there at all.

Ezee E
03-05-2020, 04:35 AM
It also doesn't make much sense for the brother on his own to target Cecelia to any degree, let alone the psychotic degree he does in the movie. There is no motive there at all.

This is actually a really good point.

DavidSeven
03-05-2020, 05:40 AM
He does have a motive.

If the brother sets her up for a crime, she returns her $5 million inheritance to the trust, of which her brother is surely a beneficiary. Making her look insane in the process solidifies the case. Of course, the ex-boyfriend sets this all up to frame his brother framing his ex-girlfriend.

Very solid and entertaining movie, though a bit more generic-y than one might expect based on the general raves.

transmogrifier
03-05-2020, 05:52 AM
If the brother sets her up for a crime, she returns her $5 million inheritance to the trust, of which her brother is surely a beneficiary. Making her look insane in the process solidifies the case. Of course, the ex-boyfriend sets this all up to frame his brother framing his ex-girlfriend.

That disregards everything that happens after she "kills" her sister though. If he was acting alone, and that was his motive, then he won at that point. There was certainly no need to be hanging round her cell. Or trying to kill a random (to him) teenage girl. Even still, he would have received money himself in the will, so I don't buy that as a motive at all. AND why keep his brother alive at all if all he wanted was the money? Nah, man, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

DavidSeven
03-05-2020, 06:13 AM
Not saying that any of it is well-executed from a logic standpoint, but I believe that is what the film was trying to sell. Fair point about it not making sense to continue after she’s been confined, though.

Ezee E
03-05-2020, 08:09 PM
This is making me think about it even more....

I still don't know if the Ex-Boyfriend, who was a terrible boyfriend no matter the case, ever left his house to begin with.

The only thing I can think of with the brother is that he was obsessed with his brother's ex as well, and once things got out of hand in the hospital, he was potentially exposed.

But can't think of any reason why both brothers would be "invisible men" if the Ex was following her around... Unless he was just that rich that he built that elaborate game to torture her on end, brother eventually inherits his own money, and he just lives on as an Invisible Man... Weird.

Pop Trash
03-06-2020, 04:56 PM
I found the brothers' relationship a bit peculiar in general (assuming they are both in on it and the one didn't kidnap the other). Seems a bit convenient that they are both psychopaths and both all in on gaslighting Cecilia. I might buy it more in some Dead Ringers symbiotic evil twins sort of way.

Isn't the ending supposed to be ambiguous? The spinning top of Inception in this is whether or not her ex was telling the truth about his brother. Clearly Cecilia at that point doesn't care, plus he was an abusive scumbag anyway, so I don't think she gave a rat's ass that she slit his throat and got away with it. Live long enough to become the villain, etc.

Pop Trash
03-06-2020, 05:20 PM
Not saying that any of it is well-executed from a logic standpoint, but I believe that is what the film was trying to sell. Fair point about it not making sense to continue after she’s been confined, though.

It's possible that the brother just kept using the suit not for any logic purposes, but just to be a creepy pervert Hollow Man style. He might have had a crush on Cecelia (surely he knew her via his brother) and used the suit to spy on her, possibly sexually assault her. I don't know. I'm kinda spitballing at this point, but one of the more interesting things about the invisible man movies is how much of your moral compass gets screwed up if you think you can get away with anything. And it's not like these two brothers had any morals to begin with. Can you imagine what Harvey Weinstein would get up to with an invisible man suit?

Morris Schæffer
03-08-2020, 09:54 PM
Adrian committed suicide, there was a news item on the sister's phone so whose body was it? Didn't the authorities find a body? Was it a fake news report? At the end, how did the assault team know adrian was held captive in the basement? I sure soiled myself when she threw the white paint on him and his contours are visible for the first time. The brother was probably the one with the suit, manipulated to do adrian's dirty work. The movie makes clear that's what he's good at.

Super tense flick, love it.

Morris Schæffer
03-09-2020, 11:32 AM
Some more thoughts

On 2nd thought, I guess that it was only the brother makes more sense. When he spoke to Cecilia, his disgust for his brother was quite clear, there was a lot of antagonism there, maybe he wasn't part of the will, and orchestrated the whole thing, framed Cecilia and was looking at a nice fat paycheck of 5 million bucks. Right?

Although there was one thing that triggered me. At the very end when Cecilia is back with Adrian and he's crouched next to her to soothe her, he utters the word 'surprise' in a sentence, which is a word which pops up a few times throughout the movie. And I felt that this triggered something in her, some sort of recognition in that very moment.

Pop Trash
03-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Some more thoughts

On 2nd thought, I guess that it was only the brother makes more sense. When he spoke to Cecilia, his disgust for his brother was quite clear, there was a lot of antagonism there, maybe he wasn't part of the will, and orchestrated the whole thing, framed Cecilia and was looking at a nice fat paycheck of 5 million bucks. Right?

Although there was one thing that triggered me. At the very end when Cecilia is back with Adrian and he's crouched next to her to soothe her, he utters the word 'surprise' in a sentence, which is a word which pops up a few times throughout the movie. And I felt that this triggered something in her, some sort of recognition in that very moment.

I thought the "surprise" was a bit of a tell for the viewer. It's possible that it was just a coincidence that he used that word, but you're right that it certainly solidified to her (rightly or wrongly) that Adrian was in on it all along. One of the more interesting things about this film is how much of it is from Cecilia's perspective (are there any scenes w/o her in it?), so we never know for sure what is happening with the two brothers off screen. We essentially have to infer another narrative. People on other sites have mentioned "plot holes" but I think it is more of a narrative hole of not knowing what is happening outside of Cecilia. This is a strength of the film. A feature, not a bug.

Morris Schæffer
03-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Plot hole vs. Narrative hole. The latter isn't one that involves Mack trucks. :D

Irish
03-20-2020, 10:04 PM
Fun fact!

Writer-director Leigh Whannell appeared on screen in "The Bye Bye Man," Duke's favorite horror movie.

megladon8
03-20-2020, 10:28 PM
Fun fact!

Writer-director Leigh Whannell appeared on screen in "The Bye Bye Man," Duke's favorite horror movie.

Please submit that to IMDb trivia.

Dukefrukem
03-20-2020, 10:56 PM
Fun fact!

All of MC needs to watch this movie to understand the horror.

Irish
03-21-2020, 01:59 AM
Huge nay.

I though this was straight up bad. It's a rote domestic violence thriller with only a splash of sci-fi, the characters are underwritten, the relationships and settings unestablished, and the scenarios are implausible. The movie lacks detail when it needs it for authenticity and it lacks energy and flair when it needs it for thrills.

My two biggest problems:

- For the first hour, the villain's actions don't require invisibility. They don't even require superhero-style abilities (which he somehow later adopts). I thought it was deeply silly that this guy's master plan involved sending mean emails and burning her breakfast.

- The villain isn't a person or character. He's a special effect and a visually dull one at that. Plenty of better examples of screen boogeymen in other movies. Why did we need this guy? What does he do or say or think that makes him special or interesting? Outside the suit, that is.

About the ending and the brothers:

I don't think it was ambiguous because we're meant to sympathize with Moss. If the ex- is innocent of everything that happened on screen then she's a straight up cold blooded murderer and a fairly unsympathetic one at that.

Ezee E
03-21-2020, 05:23 AM
I have yet to see anyone prove that the ex was behind any of what happened, except that he was abusive prior to the movie.

Irish
03-21-2020, 05:39 AM
In a horrror sci-fi fantasy that stacks implausibility like cordwood, you want ... proof? ... of something?

Ezee E
03-21-2020, 04:26 PM
In a horrror sci-fi fantasy that stacks implausibility like cordwood, you want ... proof? ... of something?

I'm waiting.

Dukefrukem
03-22-2020, 02:29 AM
Torn on this. I was digging it up until the restaurant scene with the floating knife. Will end up sleeping on it I suppose.

Peng
03-22-2020, 06:20 AM
I have yet to see anyone prove that the ex was behind any of what happened, except that he was abusive prior to the movie.

I don't think this film is that tightly written on a scene-by-scene basis, but seeing comments like this proves Whannell's concept and general storyline pretty ingenious for a horror film, really, because it's so analogous to the real world phenomenon of gaslighting viewed from a potentially disbelieving outsider perspective.

If Tom is the only responsible one, why in the world would he come to her with the deal to help get the charges dropped if she returned to Adrian? By that point, he almost got the money anyway, and he didn't benefit anything from that gesture if her charges were dropped (I don't remember the exact money cause, but it might potentially open a loophole that didn't make it go well for him), except getting her unborn kid to be with his supposedly-in-the-basement brother.

And even with Whannell not being 100% clear to keep with the gaslighting theme, the "that shouldn't come as a.... (pregnant (sorry) pause) ... surprise" sentence, with the last word changing in tone and pronunciation to be the same as the ones she heard whisper to throughout the film, is a big enough purposeful dot that Whannell seems to trust to be connected by the audience.

Peng
03-22-2020, 08:17 AM
The great opening scene is such an effective blend of real-world thematic richness and masterful horror directing, which makes it a slight disappointment that apart from the closing sequence, the rest of the film doesn't have that nuanced balance. Only Moss retains that richness, while on a scene-by-scene basis the film retreats to a more generic, first-draft horror writing/characterization, at times making it hard for suspension of disbelief and bloating the running time to two hours. But Whannell's use of silence and space is sharp throughout, with expert tension-and-release rhythm, and Moss really just elevates the whole thing. 7.5/10

Dukefrukem
03-22-2020, 12:25 PM
- For the first hour, the villain's actions don't require invisibility. They don't even require superhero-style abilities (which he somehow later adopts). I thought it was deeply silly that this guy's master plan involved sending mean emails and burning her breakfast.

This is so true. They couldn't think of anything else to do while invisible??

Until you get to the hospital hallway scene and at that point your cover is completely blown.

Pop Trash
03-23-2020, 09:14 PM
About the ending and the brothers:

I don't think it was ambiguous because we're meant to sympathize with Moss. If the ex- is innocent of everything that happened on screen then she's a straight up cold blooded murderer and a fairly unsympathetic one at that.

I mean, isn't that the point? You're criticizing exactly what is interesting about the ending. At that point Moss & her cop friend don't care if he's telling the truth. At the very least, we know he was abusive before the events of the movie.

I also think Irish and Duke are focusing entirely too much on the motivations and actions of the Invisible Man, instead of the perspective of Moss, which is exactly what this movie doesn't want you to do.

Irish
03-23-2020, 10:22 PM
I'm waiting.

To quote a famous director: I reject your premise.

The film isn't tightly written enough for proof. It isn't that well executed. It isn't that kinda movie. It's impossible to make a declaration like "He couldn't be guilty as he was in the study with Miss Marple and Colonel Mustard at the time of the murder."

This goes the other way too --- while I can't "prove" both brothers are guilty, you can't "prove" one brother is innocent.

I mean, isn't that the point? You're criticizing exactly what is interesting about the ending. At that point Moss & her cop friend don't care if he's telling the truth. At the very least, we know he was abusive before the events of the movie.

The ending elicited a shrug from me. The characters are so underwritten there's no particular stake in who is guilty or who isn't.

Your interpretation requires the audience to believe 2 things:

1) She's a victim of domestic violence

2) She killed a relatively innocent man

The audience then needs to take everything the movie tells them at face value --- so in a sense, the ending isn't ambiguous at all, because they're just nodding along with everything on screen.

But more importantly: to believe the abuser over the victim. The ex- is telling the truth, Moss is lying.

That's too nuanced a message for a movie centering on domestic violence, that features over an hour of Moss crying and wailing and running from trauma.

This is a mass market horror. A famous Universal villain. It's Blumhouse. These are the same people who made "Saw" and "Insidious 3" and "The Purge." Complex and difficult and contradictory social messages aren't their thing.

It would also be, I think, a completely fucked up message to put out there in the era of #MeToo and #BelieveAllWomen.

Pop Trash
03-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Oh please. What are you an Academy Award voter? Spare me with your snobbery and genre bias. Leigh Whannell is a smart guy and a sharp director. Upgrade is one of the best action/sci-fi/gritty genre pictures of the last five years or so.

Irish
03-23-2020, 11:16 PM
Huh? Your seeing snobbery where there is none.

Blum and Whannell are smart and talented but neither one of them is interested in sending messages. If you look at either one of their filmographies, this bears out.

They aren't interested in moral complexity. They are interested in pure entertainment. In reaching the widest audience possible. You don't do that with nuance, especially not these days, where everything at the multiplex has an obvious villain with clearly defined motivations, and probably not in something that desires to be a legit "Universal horror film."

This stuff is meant to be fun and frivolous. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't need to always ascribe complexities and meaning to genre work. Let it be what it is, not what you imagine it to be.

(In this case, that's still a terrible movie, but you get what I'm saying.)

Milky Joe
03-24-2020, 03:09 AM
Your interpretation requires the audience to believe 2 things:

1) She's a victim of domestic violence

2) She killed a relatively innocent man

The audience then needs to take everything the movie tells them at face value --- so in a sense, the ending isn't ambiguous at all, because they're just nodding along with everything on screen.

But more importantly: to believe the abuser over the victim. The ex- is telling the truth, Moss is lying.

That's too nuanced a message for a movie centering on domestic violence, that features over an hour of Moss crying and wailing and running from trauma.

This is a mass market horror. A famous Universal villain. It's Blumhouse. These are the same people who made "Saw" and "Insidious 3" and "The Purge." Complex and difficult and contradictory social messages aren't their thing.

It would also be, I think, a completely fucked up message to put out there in the era of #MeToo and #BelieveAllWomen.

What in God's holy name are you blathering about?

Morris Schæffer
03-24-2020, 10:27 AM

I thought this was where the movie was at its strongest, his presence was always there even if (almost) nothing happened. I kept looking at the confines of the screen, beyond the character of Moss which I normally don't do in a movie. :)

I guess he wanted to terrorize her, since for sure he could have struck the killing blow anytime he wanted. Maybe he simply enjoyed fooling around, maybe there's a reason why he worked in the field of optics, because that says something about who he is, what he enjoys doing. I think his master plan isn't to be trifled with. You can really mess up a person's life by sending fake emails or spreading lies in general. That shit can hit big, especially psychologically. And we can assume he didn't want to kill her anyway, otherwise she would have been dead already. He was abusive, not a killer. To me it made sense that he would make his presence known via banal actions, because going big in that regard might have resulted in a far more bombastic, generic affair. Although I do remember an imprint of a hand shown on a shower door in the trailer, but I didn't see that in the movie, or I missed it.

Or maybe it was the brother all along, because there would not be that prior animosity between husband and wife, so he would have been more prone to just act like a dick and have simple fun with the suit in the beginning, until things escalated I guess.

Grouchy
03-29-2020, 06:43 AM
Hey, this was pretty good! I thought it did a nice job of updating a classic Universal monster to modern times and themes (and the Griffin described by H.G. Wells was always a bit of a megalomaniac asshole) and the writing was actually pretty sharp. I also noticed what was already mentioned in the thread about the gas-lighting theme being mirrored in the interactions between characters, but I wouldn't take it as far as to mistrust the ending. I took it as face value, and the "surprise" line as the dramatic confirmation to me that Griffin was (of course) behind everything all along. The other theories are fun to entertain, though. Whannell remains one of the great genre creators of the new generations.

By the way, it didn't bother me in the least that the Invisible Man's first attacks were petty stuff like ruining a breakfast or sending fake e-mails. The guy is supposed to be a spurned abusive boyfriend and, besides, it's typical of a Horror film to start small and then escalate towards the gruesome.

Rico
05-24-2020, 06:57 AM
So there were at least two suits right? She had just been attacked when she went back to his house and found a suit there. Two suits, two brothers.

Ezee E
05-24-2020, 02:58 PM
So there were at least two suits right? She had just been attacked when she went back to his house and found a suit there. Two suits, two brothers.

There's another theory, that both were simultaneously attacking her?

Would just have to figure out where the BF got damaged.

megladon8
08-13-2020, 01:07 PM
The people on here saying Adrian wasn't involved are crazy.

That's just silly, RT level craziness and needless contrarianism.

Ezee E
08-13-2020, 01:20 PM
The people on here saying Adrian wasn't involved are crazy.

That's just silly, RT level craziness and needless contrarianism.

Prove it!

megladon8
08-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Where do I begin?

First off we clearly hear Adrian's voice multiple times while he's invisible. Pretty sure there was no "voice modulation" part of the suit.

When the lawyer brother meets with Cee at the mental institution he lowers he voice to tell her that all of this is being done to her by him and Adrian and that it will stop if she goes back to him. Why would the brother care if she goes back to him? He has no motive for them to be together.

The most obvious one is that there are obviously 2 attackers at multiple points in the film, the clearest being at the end. Both Cee and James experience attacks from two places at once.

Annnnnnd finally...the use of the word "surprise".

Adrian says this to her and looks right in her eyes when he says it, at the end dinner table scene. He does this to let her know it was him. Because this is what he said to her when he was with her in the mental institution.

It was Adrian working in tandem with his brother.

megladon8
08-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Not to mention how absolutely gross it would be to have him be "innocent" at the end, and she's a murderer.

That would take it from a really cool ending of female empowerment and overcoming an abuser, to something that feels written by an MRA with an underlying message of "bitches be crazy".

There's no way they would do that. Not today.

Grouchy
08-13-2020, 04:46 PM
Not to mention how absolutely gross it would be to have him be "innocent" at the end, and she's a murderer.

That would take it from a really cool ending of female empowerment and overcoming an abuser, to something that feels written by an MRA with an underlying message of "bitches be crazy".

I agree with you but I do find it disturbing that one half of your argument is that it would undermine the movie's intent, but the other half is that they wouldn't dare do it or they would be lynched.

megladon8
08-13-2020, 04:53 PM
I dont see whats disturbing about that.

They would be "lynched" (your words, not mine). And rightfully so.

Grouchy
08-13-2020, 05:10 PM
I dont see whats disturbing about that.
Hahah that's precisely what I find disturbing.

megladon8
08-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Ok? Good chat...

Grouchy
08-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Well, if you want me to expand... The Invisible Man is a film about an abusive relationship and a harassed woman ultimately recovering the upper hand against her abuser. That's awesome and it's clearly the movie Whannell and company wanted to make. It doesn't feel forced because the Wells character was already a rapist, so it's not even a re-interpretation, just a more timely take on an old story. I liked the film a lot.

But if Whannell and company had wanted to make a different film, one that included this hypothetical final twist where the girl murders an innocent man and the brother was the real villain all along... I'm willing to bet there'd be some voices calling for boycotting the film and hurting their careers. I'm not even saying it would ultimately happen but in today's climate it would at least be suggested. And if that doesn't clarify what I find disturbing... well, then I can only give up. It's quite clear to me.

EDIT: I'm not saying movies can't be criticized or rejected by their intended audience. What's criminal is saying they shouldn't be allowed to be made. I'm also not saying the twist would better the movie in any way.

megladon8
08-13-2020, 05:50 PM
I wasn't saying that at all, so like, I don't know what you're arguing about.

Grouchy
08-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Ok, don't pay attention to me. Cranky day.

You know what I used to do when I was cranky? As soon as I was done with work I would go watch a movie by myself at the theater or to the comic shop to browse what was on sale. I need new outlets that take me away from the computer.

megladon8
08-13-2020, 06:26 PM
No worries, I was just confused as it seemed you were trying to say I said something that I didn't.

And yeah, I've been relying way too heavily on alcohol to destress, since this all started.

Really starting to feel it, physically.

Ezee E
08-13-2020, 08:51 PM
Where do I begin?

First off we clearly hear Adrian's voice multiple times while he's invisible. Pretty sure there was no "voice modulation" part of the suit.

When the lawyer brother meets with Cee at the mental institution he lowers he voice to tell her that all of this is being done to her by him and Adrian and that it will stop if she goes back to him. Why would the brother care if she goes back to him? He has no motive for them to be together.

The most obvious one is that there are obviously 2 attackers at multiple points in the film, the clearest being at the end. Both Cee and James experience attacks from two places at once.

Annnnnnd finally...the use of the word "surprise".

Adrian says this to her and looks right in her eyes when he says it, at the end dinner table scene. He does this to let her know it was him. Because this is what he said to her when he was with her in the mental institution.

It was Adrian working in tandem with his brother.

I need to watch it again, but that's good evidence.

Ezee E
08-13-2020, 08:53 PM

Isn't it kind of weird that murder is an acceptable response?

megladon8
08-13-2020, 10:43 PM
Isn't it kind of weird that murder is an acceptable response?

If someone kills my sister, I am going to kill them.

Yes. Perfectly acceptable.

Ezee E
08-13-2020, 10:59 PM
If someone kills my sister, I am going to kill them.

Yes. Perfectly acceptable.

lol, forgot about that....

Grouchy
08-14-2020, 04:06 PM
And tried to frame her for it hahah

Ezee E
08-14-2020, 05:25 PM
I want to watch this again.

Likely my favorite of this year, all things considered. Could easily have seen it being in my top ten even if there was a full slate of films.

megladon8
08-14-2020, 06:13 PM
I want to watch this again.

Likely my favorite of this year, all things considered. Could easily have seen it being in my top ten even if there was a full slate of films.

Watch VFW first.

Dead & Messed Up
08-26-2020, 03:04 AM
I never did post in here about how I saw this movie and loved this movie and how, even a good year for cinema, this should be considered among the very best.

DFA1979
10-06-2020, 07:30 AM
Thoughts: The Invisible Man (2020) (https://madman731.wordpress.com/2020/10/06/horrorfest-2020-presents-the-invisible-man-2020-leigh-whannell/)

Morris Schæffer
10-06-2020, 11:03 AM
One of the most hair-raising jump scares in town. Come to think of it, it really felt as if my hairs were literally being raised.

Skitch
11-28-2020, 11:43 PM
13 yays??

This was terrible.

Irish
11-28-2020, 11:52 PM
MY DUDE!

Skitch
11-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Okay I wasnt going to go on, but after reading through the thread I feel I have a different angle on why I disliked this. I'll just number my dumb thoughts so they can be more easily addressed.

Pros:
1. It was competently shot, edited, acted, scored.

Cons:
1. Shouldve been called anything other than the Invisible Man. Considering the way the structured the plot (her being crazy), it wouldve lent some mystery. If we called it The Phantom Menace, then the first hour is curious! Is it a ghost movie? Invisible man seems unlikely, faked death? Who knows! But with that title, we fucking know and the first hour is just spinning wheels.
2. Movie is way too long.
3. Maybe...MAYBE this would be easier to swallow if it was set in the 80s, but not in this day and age. So I can get surveillance footage from a mcdonalds where a customer loses his shit over a big mac but theres no footage from a fancy ass restaurant of a floating knife murder? Okay, I'll bite....unlikely, but okay. Now let's move to the mental hospital. Theres a camera in her room. Theres cameras every ten feet in the hallway. THERES A FUCKING CAMERA IN EVERY FUCKING SHOT. Yet no one believes her. What, is she using the force to beat up those guards while laying down 30 feet away? Using mind powers to float guns? As she runs out the front door theres a pack of guards WATCHING THOSE CAMERAS. Bullshit.
4. The main character is the only realistic person. Literally everyone else in this movie is a fucking moron. The cop friend sits with her as the lawyer brother tells her what a manipulative awful abusive cunt adrian was....yet the cop friend never ever believes her about anything for the entire movie, even after AN INVISIBLE MAN kicks his ass and is shot and killed in his livingroom, he STILL refuses to believe the main character about adrian being a prick. What fucking nonsense.

This movie was a fat load of wasted potential, majorily at the writing level.

Ezee E
11-29-2020, 12:06 AM
Adrian's Brother is only wearing the suit once in the film:
Interview from Collider (https://collider.com/invisible-man-when-is-adrian-wearing-the-suit-explained/#:~:text=It%20turns%20out%2C%2 0his%20brother,one%20of%20Adri an's%20invisibility%20suits.)

Skitch
11-29-2020, 12:12 AM
Adrian's Brother is only wearing the suit once in the film:
Interview from Collider (https://collider.com/invisible-man-when-is-adrian-wearing-the-suit-explained/#:~:text=It%20turns%20out%2C%2 0his%20brother,one%20of%20Adri an's%20invisibility%20suits.)

I know. I believe it. Doesnt change how every person treats the main character (disbelieving her).

Edit: maybe that wasnt pointed at me, sorry lol

Dukefrukem
11-29-2020, 01:10 AM
Outside of the dumb use of the suit as Irish pointed out, burning her breakfast, I liked pretty much all of this.

Ezee E
11-29-2020, 04:28 PM
I know. I believe it. Doesnt change how every person treats the main character (disbelieving her).

Edit: maybe that wasnt pointed at me, sorry lol

It wasn't, but all good lol

megladon8
11-29-2020, 05:56 PM
I don't think the movie wants us to doubt her at any point.

We KNOW she isn't crazy.

The tension comes from others not believing her, and never knowing where he is.