PDA

View Full Version : Terminator: Dark Fate (Tim Miller)

Morris Schæffer
10-25-2019, 03:14 PM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNzhlYjE5MjMtZDJmYy00MGZmLT gwN2MtZGM0NTk2ZTczNmU5XkEyXkFq cGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SX640 _CR0,0,640,999_AL_.jpg

Dukefrukem
10-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Oh boy... can't wait for the consensus.

Morris Schæffer
10-25-2019, 03:24 PM
They've been calling this the true sequel to T2, but it's disheartening how much it actually comes across as a restart. In one egregious case, it stomps its leather biker boot down in full force, and the result isn't gutsy or inspired, but rather disappointing and blunt, like some nasty disease which had to be swiftly removed before they could start over. Proceedings do not feel organic enough after T2, but it has a shoe-horned in feel regarding some elements.

So yes, better than Genysis and Salvation, but perhaps not better than T3 although it's got some beefy action scenes for sure.

Dukefrukem
10-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Can you spoil one thing for me. Whats the explanation of old Arnold? Did a 2nd Model 101 come from the future after it lowered itself into the molten steel?

Morris Schæffer
10-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Can you spoil one thing for me. Whats the explanation of old Arnold? Did a 2nd Model 101 come from the future after it lowered itself into the molten steel?

Another bad guy sent by Skynet after the events of T2.

[ETM]
10-25-2019, 07:19 PM
I've never been compelled to watch T3 or Genisys, I sincerely hope it's better.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Skitch
10-25-2019, 11:31 PM

Apparently at the time they sent the first Terminator, they sent multiple terminators to different points in time. I was curious about it too, but it worked well in context of more spoilers that I will withhold.

Henry Gale
10-31-2019, 05:08 AM
It isn't very good, but it's opening scene is a bit of an unnerving stunner for a variety of reasons. Some of the best-looking and most effective use of that technology I've seen to date.

The rest is a mostly clunky, bland mess. Hamilton is way underused, and Arnold is the best character in it, but he shows up soooo late. What a surprisingly effective and hilarious performance he carves out despite everything. If this movie was called "Carl" and then it became a third act twist that he was a Terminator when the other characters show up, THAT would've been something new. But alas, same ol', same ol', just.. slightly tighter and engaging than these have been lately?

So yes, the "best" of the last three, but it kind of sucks to think that I've only seen Terminator sequels in the theatre in my movie-going life, and it's been these four. At least 13-year-old me had a blast with T3. *Pops in his '84 Terminator blu-ray*

Skitch
10-31-2019, 05:21 AM
Watch T3 again. As someone who long defended it, it's by far the worst Terminator film.

Morris Schæffer
10-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Watch T3 again. As someone who long defended it, it's by far the worst Terminator film.

Criticisms I could throw at T3:

- It's not as good as T1 and T2
- Some throwback humour to parts 2 which doesn't quite work
- sub-par continuity because Edward Furlong isn't back. Neither is Linda.
- T-X not as threatening as T-800 and T-1000
- a visual look that is more generic

Most of these could be thrown at other sequels and they'd stick, at least one of the above isn't even fair criticism.
How are we appreciating a movie which turns John Connor into the villain more than a movie which actually feels like a legitimate follow-up to T2 and
logically leads to the inevitable end of days?

And how did you go from staunch defender to hater? :D

Dukefrukem
10-31-2019, 12:50 PM
It's also rated PG-13. Its really tough to be menacing when you're PG-13.

Pop Trash
10-31-2019, 02:39 PM
I saw it in the theaters a million years ago (2003) but I thought Terminator 3 was fun. Didn't like Salvation at all. Didn't bother with Genesys. I'll probably check this one out.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2019, 02:48 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AbandonedGiftedGoitered-size_restricted.gif

Morris Schæffer
10-31-2019, 05:02 PM
It's also rated PG-13. Its really tough to be menacing when you're PG-13.

Good point, although salvation and genisys are too so compared to those, T3 is not less menacing.

Dukefrukem
10-31-2019, 05:28 PM
Good point, although salvation and genisys are too so compared to those, T3 is not less menacing.

Yeh in Salvation there was a scene where a terminator rips off the roof of a house and grabs a woman. That was pretty scary.
Genisys was a disaster though I thought the re-created Arnold scene from T1 felt menacing.

T3 just feels very campy cheesy.

Milky Joe
10-31-2019, 05:43 PM
T3 is the funniest T.

Skitch
10-31-2019, 07:26 PM
And how did you go from staunch defender to hater? :D

I rewatch this series nearly every year. As I've said before, even a shitty Terminator is better than most sci-fi films these days (I watch a lot of low budget sci-fi looking for gems, because its my favorite genre). Upon my last rewatch I found T3's comedy to just be insufferable. I wouldn't say I'm a hater of it, its just the least of the series for me.

As for Genysis, (spoilers for Dark Fate) its really out in another timeline, and now with the way Dark Fate works, really all the sequels to T2 are in splinter timelines because of Sarah's actions in part 2. Thats the way I look at it. T3's splinter delayed D-Day and killed Sarah. T4 plays more like a prequel to 1 than a sequel. T5 could still really be canon, where Arnold could've been sent back to Sarah as a child at same time as Arnold in T6 was sent as second attempt on John (as explained in DF). Basically 4,1,2,6 is the main timeline, and 3 and 5 are splinters off of it because of part 2 Sarah, and part 5 Arnold. I'm not big on ditching sequels from continuity just because they maybe didn't work as well as hoped. Is the handling of Conner weird? Yes and no. I always read it that once that terminator got him, he was dead, and it was the terminator using John's memories to his own end.

[ETM]
10-31-2019, 10:30 PM
And here I am just wishing we had more of the TV show...

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Skitch
10-31-2019, 10:46 PM
I'd take that too. Good stuff.

Henry Gale
11-01-2019, 04:19 AM
T3 was (somehow) rated R though. The only PG-13 entries are Salvation and Genysis.

But it totally feels like it's PG-13. Cut some language and violent shots and the same goes for Dark Fate.

Skitch
11-01-2019, 07:06 AM
You're not wrong. On the other hand...I kinda feel like of the sequels after T2 (and I'd have to rewatch 4 and 5 to verify), I feel like DF feels the most R, not because of language but because of the way the action/violence was executed. The new terminator feels scary and unstoppable again.

transmogrifier
11-01-2019, 11:52 AM
T3 is fine. Better than Salvation by a mile.

Scar
11-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Seeing T2 in theaters when I was 13 was one of the best movie going experiences I ever had.

Haven’t seen a Terminator film in the theater since, contemplating seeing this one.

Skitch
11-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Took a stab at a Terminator timeline...corrections welcome!

https://i.imgur.com/hsmhau6.jpg

Dukefrukem
11-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Took a stab at a Terminator timeline...corrections welcome!

https://i.imgur.com/hsmhau6.jpg

Very nice. But the T6 main should be flat right after T2.

T4 would never happen at the end of T2 (even with the paradox aspect(. T4 would only happen after the "inevitable" T3 ending.

edit: actually i think you have it right. There's just no need to put "T4 erased". Just make it flat with T6.

And I think there's a Judgement Day 3 with the release of Genysis.

megladon8
11-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Can we all agree that Genisys was embarrassing?

Skitch
11-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Very nice. But the T6 main should be flat right after T2.

T4 would never happen at the end of T2 (even with the paradox aspect(. T4 would only happen after the "inevitable" T3 ending.

edit: actually i think you have it right. There's just no need to put "T4 erased". Just make it flat with T6.

And I think there's a Judgement Day 3 with the release of Genysis.

The reason I left T4 there was because the first lap of future is what sent back all the terminators. After 6 its changed, but original line. You may be right on judgement day 3. Need to look into that.

Skitch
11-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Can we all agree that Genisys was embarrassing?

Nope! It's better than T3 and T4 imo.

TGM
11-04-2019, 11:03 AM
I also didn’t think Genisys was anywhere close to as bad as its reputation suggests. The only thing embarrassing about it is the way they chose to spell its subtitle. :p

Dukefrukem
11-04-2019, 12:46 PM
I also didn’t think Genisys was anywhere close to as bad as its reputation suggests. The only thing embarrassing about it is the way they chose to spell its subtitle. :p

Emilia Clarke was a terrible Sarah Connor.

Also, the spelling of Genisys is only a problem if you don't ever watch the film. It fits nicely with the real life tech lingo of a new consumer product release. If it was called Terminator iPhoneXIII people wouldn't balk.

TGM
11-04-2019, 12:51 PM
If it was called Terminator iPhoneXIII people wouldn't balk.

I call bullshit. ;)

Dukefrukem
11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
I call bullshit. ;)

Heh. At least it would be a subtitle that people understand. No one understands Genysis at a glance.

Skitch
11-04-2019, 07:29 PM
The worst thing about Genysis was its trailer that spoiled everything, and played in front of everything, pummeling everyone into hating it before it even came out. I think its a pretty decent flick.

Wryan
01-17-2020, 04:33 AM
Excuse me much, but this was fuckin boss. Sure it's basically the same story we've seen like 7 times now, but fuck it, I had a lotta fun with this. The action and fights have serious weight and heft. Carl is actually pretty funny, Hamilton delivers and Mackenzie Davis is excellent.

Morris Schæffer
01-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Excuse me much, but this was fuckin boss. Sure it's basically the same story we've seen like 7 times now, but fuck it, I had a lotta fun with this. The action and fights have serious weight and heft. Carl is actually pretty funny, Hamilton delivers and Mackenzie Davis is excellent.

Felt very similar to SW: ROS. When I Look past the capable production values, good intentions, general feeling of not having been bored, i still see a movie way past its expiration date, something redundant, not thought out well, with some boneheaded decisions, and nowhere near the quality of T1 and T2.

EDIT: I mean, Hamilton delivers? What does that mean? Like a bag of tomatoes from the grocery store? :D

Dukefrukem
01-17-2020, 12:49 PM
This is close to being the worst in the series. So disappointed with it. They have nowhere to go with this franchise.

I just need to decide if it's worse than Genysis or not.

Wryan
01-17-2020, 01:47 PM
Pretty obvious that I mean she comes in and does exactly what she needs to do for the role and the movie. It was nice seeing her back, and I enjoyed what the movie gave her to do. I appreciated that she swings easily into helping because "I was her...and it sucks." Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. I liked the suggestion that the humanity-fucks-up future is still inevitable because of who we are, yet even though the Skywalker-like savior figure is killed, someone will still step up to lead because of same.

This is so clearly not the worst of the series when we have Salvation and Genysis in play. I'd put this handily on par with 3. You could swap this out with 3 in the timeline a la Halloween-ignoring shenanigans and it would be quite satisfying.

Dukefrukem
01-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Pretty obvious that I mean she comes in and does exactly what she needs to do for the role and the movie. It was nice seeing her back, and I enjoyed what the movie gave her to do. I appreciated that she swings easily into helping because "I was her...and it sucks." Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Except that it DOES need to be more complicated than that, because we are in a J. J. territory here with the retreads. We are given no information on why we are protecting this girl other than a really terrible flash forward of her "inspiring" the rest of the humans to rise up against the machines. And that scene comes very late in the film. So the whole film we are just ho humming around with the same beats from the other movies..... The characters ask several times "why is she important?" and what can be explained in a few sentences is just brushed away until the script calls for a full explanation.

The dialog was SO. BAD. Which is why I say this is worse than those other two films. "You gotta believe me" is a line in this film when our future "hero" is in custody, pleading to an officer about the existence of terminators. That officer dies a gruesome death several scenes later...

The use of old Arnold in this film was STUPID. It is such a STUPID idea it belongs in a FAST and the FURIOUS movie. Arnold was "texting" locations of future terminators? What???

The only thing I liked, and thought worked really well, was the enhanced human aspect; which just allowed for there to be 2 v 2 physical fights.

Wryan
01-17-2020, 03:30 PM
I like seeing this from Sarah's perspective. As far as she knows, they averted the Skynet future, though at the eventual cost of John's young life. When the events here start unfolding, she assumes it to be for the same reasons she was targeted: the importance of a womb. Again, I like how this movie transfigures the series from a Skywalker-like messiah figure being the Very Important Man into one in which humanity itself will keep seeding new leaders when the need arises because of our desire to be free and stay alive in a world of death and self-inflicted horrors. I'm not sure what fuller details you needed here, given that we know the broad framing beats of the franchise by this point. I'm betting you despised "future shit" for exactly the reasons I liked it: it knows we know the score and doesn't belabor an explanation.

Did you realize that the injured commander in Grace's flash-forward was likely Dani? I liked Grace's character and her protective relationship to Dani. She was given more reason to want to be her guardian than simple programming.

Dukefrukem
01-17-2020, 04:00 PM
Did you realize that the injured commander in Grace's flash-forward was likely Dani? I liked Grace's character and her protective relationship to Dani. She was given more reason to want to be her guardian than simple programming.

Yeh non of that impresses me. I can't get over the fact that Terminators and humans still both have access to time machines. They still are both sending machines and people back to kill/protect. Terminators keep evolving into Edge of Tomorrow-Alien-Terminators. They are ALL seemingly indestructible until they're not. It's just all crap.

Dukefrukem
01-20-2020, 12:00 AM
I just realized this movie has a huge pothole.

So I guess Skynet sent a bunch of terminators back in time to different years. 1984, 1993, 1994, 1999 etc etc. Carl/Arnold was probably the 1994 Terminator and knew about the other terminators that would be sent back from his timeline by Skynet. After he has a change of heart (so stupid btw) he sends the locations of those terminators to Sarah so she can destroy them all. It's later revealed that the "Rev 9" terminator that is trying to kill the main character is from a timeline where the AI is called "Legion". This is because Sarah and John stopped Judgement Day from happening. They stopped Skynet. As it turns out, killer AI would eventually be created by some other company and it's called Legion.

How the hell would Carl know about where and when the Rev 9 Terminator would be, so Sarah Connor could show up and save Grace and the girl?? He wouldn't... because his timeline essentially doesn't exist anymore.

Skitch
01-20-2020, 12:20 AM
I've only seen it once but as I understood it, since hes from the future, any event that would happen after he arrived and he was "born" would alter his memory of the timeline and he would have "memory" of it. So he could warn Sarah, Looper style.

But at this stage of conjecture, it's all time travelly nonsense, and who the hell knows.

Dukefrukem
01-20-2020, 01:15 AM
I've only seen it once but as I understood it, since hes from the future, any event that would happen after he arrived and he was "born" would alter his memory of the timeline and he would have "memory" of it. So he could warn Sarah, Looper style.

But at this stage of conjecture, it's all time travelly nonsense, and who the hell knows.

But by the rules of Terminator, if he was built by Skynet, and Skynet never happens... he wouldn't know what Legion has done or what Legion has sent back.

Skitch
01-20-2020, 10:11 AM
But Legion is just Skynet under a different name.

Dukefrukem
01-20-2020, 12:48 PM
But Legion is just Skynet under a different name.

That is not clarified.

edit: and not true. I just googled it. Legion, developed by the SAC-NORAD for cyberwarfare.

So apparently any AI that gets developed will eventually manufacture medal skeleton robots that all look the same as well as develop time-travel to kill all humans.

Be careful with your Alexa device.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 12:36 AM
That is not clarified.

edit: and not true. I just googled it. Legion, developed by the SAC-NORAD for cyberwarfare.

So apparently any AI that gets developed will eventually manufacture medal skeleton robots that all look the same as well as develop time-travel to kill all humans.

Be careful with your Alexa device.

I was being brief, but yes.

I've said it before, T2 may have stopped Cyberdyne, but it didn't stop the people from pursuing a Skynet type weapon. Outside of our protagonists eyes its a wildly different film. A wanted cop-slaughtering biker from the 80s hooks up with an escaped mental patient and her psycho teen brat to kidnap a computer scientist...they blow up a seemingly harmless lab, and cause a very dangerous situation with a semi truck and a steel mill.

Theres no reason for them to stop working on a Skynet.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 01:24 AM
I was being brief, but yes.

I've said it before, T2 may have stopped Cyberdyne, but it didn't stop the people from pursuing a Skynet type weapon. Outside of our protagonists eyes its a wildly different film. A wanted cop-slaughtering biker from the 80s hooks up with an escaped mental patient and her psycho teen brat to kidnap a computer scientist...they blow up a seemingly harmless lab, and cause a very dangerous situation with a semi truck and a steel mill.

Theres no reason for them to stop working on a Skynet.

You're totally missing the mark here. When they throw the arm, and the CPU chip into the smelting machine along with Arnold self-terminating... that halted the causality loop. Skynet only got the idea for Skynet FROM the smashed CPU chip from the 1984 Terminator. No one is working on Skynet in 1995.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 01:38 AM
You're totally missing the mark here. When they throw the arm, and the CPU chip into the smelting machine along with Arnold self-terminating... that halted the causality loop. Skynet only got the idea for Skynet FROM the smashed CPU chip from the 1984 Terminator. No one is working on Skynet in 1995.

But there had to be an original line somewhere. So you're saying....every one working on that project at Cyberdyne just stopped? Even if they no longer had the arm and chip, they would keep working towards it. Sure it may have taken longer (and been renamed) but they still were on task. Companies are bought and sold every day, so couldve renamed that as well.

In whatever original timeline humans figure out Skynet without the arm and chip....that just has to be or this entire series is nonsense.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 01:59 AM
But there had to be an original line somewhere. So you're saying....every one working on that project at Cyberdyne just stopped? Even if they no longer had the arm and chip, they would keep working towards it. Sure it may have taken longer (and been renamed) but they still were on task. Companies are bought and sold every day, so couldve renamed that as well.

If they were going to continue to work on Skynet after they destroy the arm, the cpu, the building and the lead guy working on the project... then what's the point of the plot of T2?

Remember. The whole inevitable theme from T3 is gone in this movie. Skynet is done after T2 according to this new Dark Fate sequel.

In whatever original timeline humans figure out Skynet without the arm and chip....that just has to be or this entire series is nonsense.

That's what made the first two movies so fun. The paradox!

Skitch
01-21-2020, 10:17 AM
I still think someone else could just soldier on.

I mean, we have these movies, right? And yet EVERY DAMN DAY I see updates from these fucking nerds at MiT or wherever posting videos of new robots they built that can do crazy A.I. things. Hell, they saw that episode of Black Mirror and apparently went "Uh...pointy murder dog robot....GREAT IDEA LETS BUILD IT!"

Man simply will. Not. Stop. Until we achieve the singularity and inevitable machine uprising and human apocalypse. Or judgement day. Either way, I verbally thank my roomba every day for helping out the family.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 10:21 AM
I get what youre saying though, I'm not being deliberately stubborn. I just think the time travelly plot holes (that exist in every time travel movie) are still less egregious or easier to overlook in this whole series than in BTTF2 alone (a film I still dearly love).

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Totally disagree there. The difference is BTTF is campy/comedy. Terminator is none of that.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 01:28 PM
Totally disagree there. The difference is BTTF is campy/comedy. Terminator is none of that.

Just trying to get your perspective...its okay to have insane ridiculous plot holes if a campy/comedy, but not if youre another genre?

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Just trying to get your perspective...its okay to have insane ridiculous plot holes if a campy/comedy, but not if youre another genre?

I'm just saying it makes sense with the tone.

I don't expect characters to magically disappear in Terminator if the past gets changed.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 02:11 PM
I'm just saying it makes sense with the tone.

I don't expect characters to magically disappear in Terminator if the past gets changed.

I don't either? But I feel like that IS what your are expecting post-T2? Confused

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 02:19 PM
No, I just have a problem with the consistency of this movie. It doesn't make sense that Skynet 101 Model would know when the SAC-NORAD / Legion Rev9 model would come back through time.

ESPECIALLY when Judgement Day from the 101 Model POV was supposed to be in 1997.

We are in 2019, and it was prevented, but there's apparently another Judgement day down the road... so it's impossible (based on the logic the movie is telling us) that 101 Model would know when the Rev9 would show up.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 02:22 PM
I understand why you feel that way. I just think its a Looper bit of time travelly-ness where since he existed in the future, his memory of future events would alter accordingly until his date of birth, aka catching up to his present.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 02:27 PM
I understand why you feel that way. I just think its a Looper bit of time travelly-ness where since he existed in the future, his memory of future events would alter accordingly until his date of birth, aka catching up to his present.

Understood, but I don't buy that. Because it's only Genysis where that is shown and this movie ignores Genysis.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Understood, but I don't buy that. Because it's only Genysis where that is shown and this movie ignores Genysis.

How so? I don't think it ignores the rules of Genysis so much as its on a separate timeline so its a sidestep.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 02:36 PM
How so? I don't think it ignores the rules of Genysis so much as its on a separate timeline so its a sidestep.

Even if it was a new timeline, I would buy the human brain having multiple memories but not a programmed machine.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 03:02 PM
Even if it was a new timeline, I would buy the human brain having multiple memories but not a programmed machine.

Why not?

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 03:07 PM
Because it's an object. It's finite. The logic doesn't make sense.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 04:22 PM
Because it's an object. It's finite. The logic doesn't make sense.

It's not a banana. At a certain point it would retain memory of events. But if you cant accept that, I cant say much else than okay. I didnt make up the rules for this series, just speculating as to how they got here.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 05:44 PM
At a certain point it would retain memory of events.

Huh? What you mean specifically by this?

Skitch
01-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Huh? What you mean specifically by this?

I think the A.I.s memory would change with the change of history.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 06:21 PM
I think the A.I.s memory would change with the change of history.

And what makes you believe that would happen in this film?

Skitch
01-21-2020, 06:23 PM
And what makes you believe that would happen in this film?

Because an old terminator unit from the future sent Sarah texts about events he wouldn't previously had knowledge of.

The future isn't set.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 06:32 PM
Because an old terminator unit from the future sent Sarah texts about events he wouldn't previously had knowledge of.

The future isn't set.

See, that can't be the ONLY reason in the film. There has to be some string of dialog or explanation to why that terminator had knowledge of a completely separate timeline. Otherwise we are just making stuff up to satisfy why anyone does anything. Q: "Why did Grace kill those cops at the beginning?" A: "Because time-travel makes people go crazy for a few minutes"

It's a plot hole because it's not explained and I think it's a huge mistake in the script.

Dukefrukem
01-21-2020, 06:35 PM
I just googled it again, and apparently, I'll have to go back and rewatch the dialog in the Cabin, the T-800 can feel when a new Terminator rips a hole in the space-time continuum and that's how he sends Sarah their locations.

That's even lamer than your theory.

Skitch
01-21-2020, 09:48 PM
I just googled it again, and apparently, I'll have to go back and rewatch the dialog in the Cabin, the T-800 can feel when a new Terminator rips a hole in the space-time continuum and that's how he sends Sarah their locations.

That's even lamer than your theory.

He can feel it because his memory of history changes. That would be the closest to an actual "feeling" a robot could have, probably.

Look I'm not defending this film. All time travel movies play fast and loose with the rules, because its unknown if its possible and what would really happen.

Check out a flick called Synchronicity. Its not good, but it would be relevant to this conversation.

Peng
01-30-2020, 06:11 AM
In retrospect it’s almost remarkable that this franchise takes until #5 before its action has become mostly a visually generic, plasticky pile-up. This #6 doesn’t improve that aspect by much, but at least characters are more involving and performances better (even if two new leads are rather weakly served by the writing), and having both Hamilton and Schwarzenegger give two thoughtful, layered-with-history, even legitimately poignant performances helps boost the story quite a fair bit. 6/10

The Terminator > Judgement Day > Rise of the Machines > Salvation > Dark Fate > the dumb title one

Dukefrukem
01-30-2020, 11:53 AM
1.Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1991 ★★★★★
2.The Terminator 1984 ★★★★★
3.Terminator: Dark Fate 2019 ★½
4.Terminator Salvation 2009 ★½
5.Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 2003 ★
6.Terminator Genisys 2015 ½

Scar
01-31-2020, 09:33 PM

Word.

I should’ve seen this in the theatre. It’s the sequel I’ve been waiting damn near thirty years for. T2 is obviously King, with the original a close second. T3 is ok, Salvation is passable, and Genesis is the pile of Dude Wipes I left on a mountain top in Idaho.

Grouchy
03-25-2020, 02:13 PM
I'm a bit mystified why would anyone consider this an improvement over T3 or Genysis - it's just as derivative, poorly written, unexciting and lame as those two movies. If I'm not mentioning Salvation it's because it at least tried for something. But there's nothing to see here except some of the most uninspired writing of all time. Let this franchise die with whatever dignity it has left, I'm begging you.

megladon8
09-01-2021, 10:35 PM
This was leagues better than Genisys, but that's not high praise.

It's...okay. Has some great action scenes, but they are lessened by the horrible CGI. Awful stuff at times. Especially apparent whenever the terminators are running/jumping inhumanly fast. Looks like a PS2 game.

Even though where they went with the story and twists isn't at all what I expected or would have done, I was happy to see that they committed to them fully right through the end.

Mackenzie Davis was a rockstar here.

It's passable but not great by any means.

Please let this series die. Please.

megladon8
09-01-2021, 10:37 PM
No, I just have a problem with the consistency of this movie. It doesn't make sense that Skynet 101 Model would know when the SAC-NORAD / Legion Rev9 model would come back through time.

ESPECIALLY when Judgement Day from the 101 Model POV was supposed to be in 1997.

We are in 2019, and it was prevented, but there's apparently another Judgement day down the road... so it's impossible (based on the logic the movie is telling us) that 101 Model would know when the Rev9 would show up.

Isn't this explained, though?

The model 101 says that there is a huge power temporal surge that occurs before the terminator comes through time, and he uses these to predict where and when they will drop.

Skitch
09-02-2021, 12:10 AM
Also whenever past events would change then future history would also change, aka get an update.

Dukefrukem
09-02-2021, 12:25 AM
Isn't this explained, though?

The model 101 says that there is a huge power temporal surge that occurs before the terminator comes through time, and he uses these to predict where and when they will drop.

It's been over a year since I wrote that so I don't remember... and I'm never watching this movie again so... sure.

Skitch
09-02-2021, 12:34 AM
Geez I've watched it like 3 times...and this convo makes me want to again lol