PDA

View Full Version : The Laundromat (Steven Soderbergh)

Grouchy
10-21-2019, 04:48 PM
https://culturamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/The-Laundromat_-dinero-sucio.jpg

Grouchy
10-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Eh, this might be Soderbergh's worst film in a long while, which is disappointing given the hot subject matter and the fresh creative success of a great little thriller like Unsane. Steven sets up to making his own version of The Big Short, complete with celebrities explaining the intrincacies of shell companies, a gimmick that McKay had already lifted from Scorsese's Wolf of Wall Street. The real story is interesting (I would've loved it if they mentioned soon to be ex-president Macri and the off-shore accounts he and his accomplices still own) but this film lacks all kind of focus and emotional anchors. It attempts to build something like that with Streep's character (and a third act surprise that reminded me strongly of Witness for the Prosecution) but the movie is so deliberately incoherent and oddly structured that it left me alienated as a viewer. I realize Soderbergh is all about experimenting with the form and structure of his films, but not all experiments are succesful.

Ezee E
10-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Haven't seen this. But any movie called the Laundromat can't be good either. So I won't.