PDA

View Full Version : The Kid Who Would Be King (Joe Cornish)

Grouchy
07-25-2019, 07:06 PM
http://www.impawards.com/intl/uk/2019/posters/kid_who_would_be_king_ver3_xlg .jpg

Dukefrukem
07-25-2019, 07:10 PM
I've been wanting to watch this one for a while (didn't end up getting to Hush last night)

Instead of my wife wanted to watch Blade and Blade 2.

Grouchy
07-25-2019, 07:13 PM
This is a difficult movie to grade because I feel like it has two distinct halves, one of which is significantly better than the other. The first half masterfully introduces characters, motivations and the familiar elements of the Arthurian legend and constitutes an excellent kids movie. After the tree fighting - Lady of the Lake sequence (which is still awesome) the spark is somewhat lost and the character interactions axed in favor of a series of progressively grander climaxes - the spectacle completely takes over, and not in a good way. At least the protagonist's family plight is well resolved, but the momentum that carried the movie forward so far is lost for good and instead we have a series of overly familiar fantasy beats. The script explicitly referencing that a lot of these elements are cliché does not make them any less clichéd.

Regardless, I might be way too outside of the target audience to judge. This is a movie for kids, and kids have not seen the excessive amount of films that I have. But still, I watched this on the strenght of Attack the Block and I feel that that movie told a relatively similar story in a much better way.

Grouchy
07-25-2019, 07:15 PM
I've been wanting to watch this one for a while (didn't end up getting to Hush last night)

Vagina-mouthed vampires FTW!

Skitch
07-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Heh, my wife loves those movies too. We just rewatched em maybe six months ago. I hadn't seen em in quite some time, but damn were they entertaining.