PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King (Monica's rich boyfriend who did UFC)

Henry Gale
07-18-2019, 04:58 AM
IMDb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6105098/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_King_(2019_film))

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjIwMjE1Nzc4NV5BMl5BanBnXk FtZTgwNDg4OTA1NzM@._V1_SY1000_ CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Henry Gale
07-18-2019, 05:19 AM
What a baffling, miserable experience.

I can't even (in good conscious) review it properly because I did something I never do which is leave it about 3/4ths of the way through. I just couldn't stop falling asleep while also being completely indifferent to everything I was seeing.

Either way, it's absolutely a stunningly inept effort that would be a perfect self-reflexive shot-for-shot experiment if it had any awareness as to how fruitless a task this whole endeavour was in the first place. WHYYY is every scene the same as the original?!

How can something with so much technical craft feel so artistically empty? Makes the new Beauty & The Beast seem like Cocteau's.

Dukefrukem
07-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Yikes. Yeh, seeing this tonight. :(

Dukefrukem
07-19-2019, 12:53 AM
Yeh so. This was OK. The same problems I had with Aladdin I have with this film. If you're going to do a shot by shot remake, you're going to lose A LOT of the emotional weight from the first medium that rendered scenes perfectly. Example: In Aladdin when the Prince Ali segment begins, in the animated film, it feels epic in scope because of the way you can animate people, animals and objects. Your options are limitless, you can cut between these things quicker which adds to the humor form the lyrics. In the live action film, it looks like a normal parade so most of the grand scale is lost. In the Lion King, when Simba is crying next to his dead father, it looks like someone put a speaker behind a real lion and is playing audio tape of a human crying. Real lions cannot show emotion, but the eyes, mouths and ears of an animated lion can. It's like the soul of the Lion King was ripped from the bare bone shell of the story.

It has state of the art CGI that makes your jaw drop, yes. But I want to know who's idea it was to have a grand total of 3.5 songs in this film. I want names. You completely skip over the Morning Report and give a half-assed rendition of Be Prepared, when you have a dozen more songs from the Broadway musical to play with. I will give Favreau credit; he did use some instrumental segments from the Broadway play, but could have added so much more weight to the emotion if he included He Lives in You or Shadowland or Endless Night. Definitely will be this years biggest disappointment.

1. Broadway Musical.
2. Lion King 1995
3. Lion King 2019

TGM
07-19-2019, 07:44 AM
So like The Jungle Book before, on top of everything else, Favreau half asses the musical aspect again? Yeah, this movie would definitely only piss me off...

Dukefrukem
07-19-2019, 12:29 PM
So like The Jungle Book before, on top of everything else, Favreau half asses the musical aspect again? Yeah, this movie would definitely only piss me off...

In the Jungle Book's defense, those songs are not really top tier Disney songs.

Pop Trash
07-19-2019, 02:44 PM
In the Jungle Book's defense, those songs are not really top tier Disney songs.

Whatever. I like the Jungle Book's songs more than the Lion King.

Dukefrukem
07-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Whatever. I like the Jungle Book's songs more than the Lion King.

I didn't think it were possible to think Hakuna Matata isn't the best Disney song ever.

TGM
07-19-2019, 04:13 PM
I don’t think it’s even the best song in The Lion King. >_>

Ezee E
07-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Hmm... I'm sure I would know them, but off the top of my head, all that resonates is Hakuna Matata and some of the notable music.

Dukefrukem
07-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Hmm... I'm sure I would know them, but off the top of my head, all that resonates is Hakuna Matata and some of the notable music.

umm the Circle of Freakin' Life?

Morris Schæffer
07-19-2019, 09:45 PM
I didn't think it were possible to think Hakuna Matata isn't the best Disney song ever.

I think every song in Beauty and the Beast is better than Hakuna Matata. Never really resonated with me.

I like Circle of Life lots though.

transmogrifier
07-19-2019, 09:56 PM
The Lion King’s songs, much like The Lion King itself = meh. It’s my least favorite 90s Disney animated film by a long way. No way in hell I’m seeing a carbon copy that is longer.

Ezee E
07-19-2019, 11:47 PM
umm the Circle of Freakin' Life?

Ah yes, of course. I knew there had to be a few.

I haven't seen the movie in probably 20+ years lol.

TGM
07-20-2019, 12:46 AM
Be Prepared is not only my favorite song in the film, it may well still be the best villain song in any Disney movie yet.

Henry Gale
07-20-2019, 03:26 AM
Be Prepared is not only my favorite song in the film, it may well still be the best villain song in any Disney movie yet.

Well just wait until you hear the slower, nearly-spoken word version of it in this one!!

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 01:56 PM
Well just wait until you hear the slower, nearly-spoken word version of it in this one!!

I looked over at my wife after that segment ended and mouthed the words "WTF". The only thing I can think of why they butchered it is either Chiwetel Ejiofor couldn't muster the chops to stand next to jeremy irons, or they thought it would too scary for kids. If it's the latter, than I want to know why the finale is so damn violent.

Ivan Drago
07-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Someone's trolling with the five star rating on this thread, right?

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Someone's trolling with the five star rating on this thread, right?

I see only 1 vote, it from me, and it being 3 stars.

TGM
07-20-2019, 09:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbx97kKHUHw

Dukefrukem
07-20-2019, 09:31 PM
That's spot on. Even the part about the cartoon eyes which was my biggest problem with the film.

In other news, looks like this is going to be the biggest Non-MCU, Non-Star Wars opening ever.

Peng
07-21-2019, 03:36 AM
Read this in another place and is it really true?? lol

No one has mentioned the most WTF moment in the whole film. When a piece of Simba's fur floated through the wind passing from animal to animal on its way to Rafiki, and a bird picked it up, I thought surely the bird will take the fur to Rafiki now. Instead, the bird puts the fur in its nest, only for its mate to take the fur out. It travels on the wind, gets stuck on a tree, and gets eaten by a giraffe. I thought, jokingly, well guess the giraffe will have to pass it now. To my horror, the filmmakers then continued with this overly long and unnecessary segment, showing a dung beetle rolling a huge piece of giraffe dung with the fur in it. The fur finally makes its way to Rafiki, who both touches and sniffs it. WHY. Why did the filmmakers include this???

It really sums up the movie as a whole.

Dukefrukem
07-21-2019, 03:41 AM
Yup

Skitch
07-21-2019, 07:28 PM
The Lion King’s songs, much like The Lion King itself = meh. It’s my least favorite 90s Disney animated film by a long way. No way in hell I’m seeing a carbon copy that is longer.

I very nearly loathe the Lion King. Near the bottom of any Disney animated list, new or old. If I ever get roped into seeing this remake by my family (who like the rest of the world, loves it), I will only be watching the effects.

Ivan Drago
07-29-2019, 02:21 AM
This movie is basically if a National Geographic documentary were telling the story of Hamlet.

I hated it so much.

Dukefrukem
08-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Holy shit. This is going to pass Beauty and the Beast domestically. $504+ mil domestic. Honestly, I didn't see it outperforming BatB.

TGM
08-20-2019, 01:10 PM
I’m still kinda baffled by how much money this continues to make. I’ve not seen one single person online or off who actually liked this movie. :\

Ezee E
08-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Kids are loving it, and don't give a damn about the lack of emotions or filmmaking approach. It's animals interacting with each other with voices.