PDA

View Full Version : The Mule (Clint Eastwood)

Dukefrukem
04-14-2019, 01:21 AM
https://media.golfdigest.com/photos/5c0ad7f0e20fec1e87fe8e25/master/w_768,c_limit/The-Mule.jpg

Dukefrukem
04-14-2019, 01:31 AM
I was surprised how boring and uneventful this movie was. A ton of ridiculous exposition (argument at the wedding shower, the VFW and the wife being sick) and obvious events that follow. When the movie becomes this obvious, there's no tension because it becomes so easily predictable. The ending really doesn't make any sense; how Clint Eastwood's character was able to get out of the situation he was in. It's all handled off screen. A complete cop out.

Pop Trash
04-15-2019, 03:21 PM
I kinda love it. It's such a ramblin' old man movie and Clint is making exactly what he wants here (multiple threesomes and all). It's also (mostly intentionally) hilarious. If Unforgiven is a senior reflection on The Man With No Name westerns and Gran Torino is a senior reflection on the Dirty Harry movies, this is a senior reflection on Every Which Way but Loose. Clint just needs Clyde the Orangutan to ride with him.

Maybe it's just because I saw them both around the same time last year, but I saw a lot of parallels with Lars Von Trier's The House that Jack Built, in the sense they are both made by politically incorrect (both in their personal lives and films) aging auteurs seemingly offering a self-punishing mea culpa by the end. Punishing themselves for perceived sins via characters in their movies.

Grouchy
04-17-2019, 03:08 AM
There's really no way of looking at this movie without taking into consideration Eastwood's entire career and persona as a cowboy/auteur, if that makes sense. The way his character is so obviously an anti-hero from another age adjusting to this one, the guilt that's the crux of the movie's conflict... All this in the year of Sondra Locke's passing. I mourn the day Clint Eastwood dies as much as the next movie buff but it seems like he's saying his goodbyes just like Bowie did with Blackstar.

Unlike that fucking masterpiece of an album, The Mule is a bad movie. It's entertaining up to a point but there's not an ounce of genuine drama in the mostly routine proceedings of the plot and no chemistry or anything of interest in Bradley Cooper's DEA agent to the extent where I wondered why he was written as a character at all. The worst part is that the true story (https://allthatsinteresting.com/leo-sharp-the-mule-true-story) (including great quotes from the real man) is so much more interesting than what Mr. Eastwood chose to make.

Grouchy
04-17-2019, 03:31 AM
I kinda love it. It's such a ramblin' old man movie and Clint is making exactly what he wants here (multiple threesomes and all). It's also (mostly intentionally) hilarious. If Unforgiven is a senior reflection on The Man With No Name westerns and Gran Torino is a senior reflection on the Dirty Harry movies, this is a senior reflection on Every Which Way but Loose. Clint just needs Clyde the Orangutan to ride with him.
At the same time I do love this reading.

Pop Trash
04-20-2019, 08:28 PM
Some sample quotes:

"-We're Dykes on Bikes!
-Well... bye dykes!"

"I'll help you negroes out."

"Internet! Who needs it!"

"Yeah next time you see me, I'll be texting my brains out!"

"I look like a cracker in a bowl full of beans!" (or something to that effect)

Dukefrukem
04-20-2019, 08:36 PM
I kinda love it. It's such a ramblin' old man movie and Clint is making exactly what he wants here

Gran Torino does it better (even the senile grandfather bit).