PDA

View Full Version : Triple Frontier (J.C. Chandor)

Peng
03-15-2019, 05:12 PM
https://i1.wp.com/teaser-trailer.com/wp-content/uploads/Triple-Frontier-Banner-Poster.jpg?ssl=1

Peng
03-15-2019, 05:13 PM
A bit too straight line in plotting and characterization for so much heist genre familiarity (one last job, team assembling, even a few of hiccup beats in the carefully laid-out plan). But despite some early hokey bits, this gets more engaging as it goes along, especially when it becomes clear that a good chunk of the plot will be devoted to the post-heist logistical nightmare of transporting so much heavy money, and there are some expertly done action/suspense set-pieces generated from that scenario. This might be J.C. Chandor's weakest film to date, but even then it is infused with so much of his usual sturdy craft and detail-oriented intelligence, despite being vastly different from his past three works, that it still confirms him as one of the most versatile directors around. 7/10

Irish
03-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Uh. Yeah. This was really not good.

Somehow manages to make ripping off a drug lord boring. Weirdly nihilistic when it didn't need to be.

The characters are supposed to be super-commandos with years of experience but the plot requires them to repeatedly behave in deeply stupid ways. I kept smacking my forehead and wondering if any of these dudes would live longer than 5 minutes in a typical "Friday the 13th" movie because they're just that fucking dumb.

Top billed phones it in and the rest are out of their depth.

Dialogue is atrocious and mostly unnecessary and sounds like it was written by (a) someone who has never been in the military (b) read anything about the military and (c) might be 14 years old. Most memorable line, "Hey man I didn't mean to call your shit bullshit."

Chandor, for his part, has no idea how to execute action scenes with energy or interest. I've seen television shows with better blocking and execution.

Skitch
03-17-2019, 04:21 PM
I thought the trailer probably gave away the whole movie, but it only gave away the interesting first half. The second half was as exciting as watching people move furniture. I give it an average score and a thumbs down. Its not particularly bad filmmaking, I just don't think it was the bill of goods the trailer sold. Action? Adventure? Heh, this movie craves not such things.

A waste of talent.

Ezee E
03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Chandor has never been known for good set pieces, but seems to continue doing movies where there should be...

Wryan
03-27-2019, 02:33 PM
J.C. "I don't want Oscar Isaac to be mean in my films" Chandor.

Watched this with my mom while she was in town this past weekend. I think I was meant to take more away from it than I did. I liked the first half better than second, as I'm a sucker for heist stuff, but there could have been more tension and care in this half. Hunnam really shouldn't be allowed to do any more movies outside his normal accent, because his not-English tone is just crushingly beige. The "Old Man and the Sea but with Money and Not Fish" second half was okay but pretty slow and not terribly involving. The helicopter part was cool though.

EDIT: And wait a damn minute, what about that moment where the woman tells Batfleck that Oscar Isaac's character may/will "betray" them, and absolutely nothing comes of it. What was that about?

Dukefrukem
04-18-2019, 01:21 AM
Is there a name for a type of a script where the progression for the main characters fall deeper and deeper into trouble? I like that kind of script. I didn't like this movie.

Skitch
04-18-2019, 01:59 AM
Is there a name for a type of a script where the progression for the main characters fall deeper and deeper into trouble? I like that kind of script. I didn't like this movie.

The first movie that pops to mind with that description is that Paul Walker movie Running Scared. Damn good flick.

Grouchy
10-23-2019, 06:09 PM
I liked this movie but I still hear all of your complaints. I liked it because it was an old fashioned "men on a doomed quest" film with echoes of The Treasure of Sierra Madre or Sorcerer, only with less charismatic performers. The aforementioned helicopter scene was good, as were the heist and many small character moments. Still, J.C. Chandor is a profoundly unexciting filmmaker for me. I've seen all of his films except for All is Lost and while all of them are fine, they never stuck on my mind for long. I like this one's cynical outlook on the military life, but that's betrayed near the end of the screenplay anyway.

Anyway, does anyone else find that filmmakers generally do their worst work on Netflix for some reason?