PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Buzzsaw (Dan Gilroy)

Ezee E
02-13-2019, 09:26 PM
IMDB (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7043012/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Peng
02-13-2019, 09:47 PM
This has moments of trashy fun (Gyllenhaal, Russo, and Collette commit to their characters' caricatures with delicious gutso), but it's too long for such thin premise and half-hearted execution of satire/horror elements. The ending also needs to go way bigger instead of deflating out like this; the film almost feels too ashamed of its lurid genre thrills, which is a shame, since that is its biggest strength, not any depth or insight Gilroy thinks he has. 5/10

Irish
02-13-2019, 11:02 PM
Agree with Peng.

The satire is shallow and the horror isn't cohesive.

Starting to think Gilroy the Younger is a writer/director with nothing to say.

Ezee E
02-13-2019, 11:26 PM
There's potential to the movie, but it just never lives up to it.

Already mentioned, the satire is the same thing we see in any art criticism world, with only Jake Gylenhaal's Morf coming out as a notable character that is never really given much to handle. Jake gave it his all though.

Kudos also to Toni Colette and being able to change her looks, attitude, and personality from film to film. I had to google to verify that it was truly her.

Skitch
02-17-2019, 03:19 PM
I liked this movie. Its a smidge too long but has a healthy creep factor. I wish it had gone full bore bat shit scary, but if it had it probably would've devolved into just another pissed off ghost movie. As it is, theres enough of a break between deaths that when they happen, it felt quite effective on my nerves.

Grouchy
07-20-2019, 05:11 PM
My problem with this film is that it's a Horror flick in name only. The writer uses the ghost premise as a way to create an ensemble satire/dramedy in the style of Robert Altman, which is cool, I guess, but like you guys, I expected the fantasy elements to take over in a way that never materialized. I did love the gag of the receptionist who keeps finding the corpses and overall it's a very fun watch.

Wryan
08-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Gyllenhaal almost spares this and is occasionally deliciously funny, but he and the other actors commit in a way the writing and directing don't. It's sometimes good tawdry fun, maybe more so for people who work in galleries or in high fashion/art and would give anything to see some of their coworkers/bosses/patrons dismembered so. Overall, this was probably a waste of time for most involved. I wonder what Wan would have done with it. The moment when Tom Sturridge goes and the second (terrifically effective) appearance of the "robot" felt like his touch.