PDA

View Full Version : The Wandering Earth (Frant Gwo)

Stay Puft
02-07-2019, 02:37 AM
THE WANDERING EARTH
Dir. Frant Gwo

https://i.imgur.com/HR1pNp3.jpg

IMDb page (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7605074/)

Stay Puft
02-07-2019, 02:47 AM
I'm not sure if I love or hate this. I wouldn't call it a good movie; it's far too sloppy, trite and manipulative for that. But it's also deliriously amusing, and I was already laughing to myself and gasping for air during the opening prologue, which lovingly and painstakingly details its high concept storyline: the sun is going to expand and destroy Earth, so all the nations of Earth unite their resources to build giant rockets and push the Earth out of the way. I wish I was kidding! I'm not! It's Troll Physics: The Movie, and leave it to China's desperate attempts to top Hollywood at its own game to deliver this insane joy to our multiplexes.

Imagine, if you will, that you're Roland Emmerich, and you just wrapped on 2012. You wake up the next morning, unsatisfied, and stare at your reflection the mirror, ominously muttering "More" under your breath. That's the energy Frant Gwo brings to this. China hasn't bested Hollywood yet, but they're closer than they've ever been, and at the very least, they've now successfully reverse-engineered Roland Emmerich's entire career, rendering the man obsolete. He would go home and cry himself to sleep if he watches this, and I wouldn't blame him.

Irish
02-07-2019, 03:01 AM
I really want to see this. Apparently, it's the biggest Chinese sci-fi film ever made & also one of the few to get a large North American release. I hope it does well enough that we'll start seeing other Chinese films over here.

Stay Puft
02-10-2019, 04:50 AM
I decided to vote yay. RIP Roland Emmerich, 1955-2019.

Dukefrukem
05-07-2019, 10:27 PM
So this is bonkers. And it's on Netflix btw.

Skitch
05-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Trailer was awesome, can't wait to check it out.

Stay Puft
05-08-2019, 01:00 AM
Screw you, Jupiter!

Skitch
05-10-2019, 06:57 PM
I only gave this 3 stars but damn was this entertaining. Complete anime mentality (I'll wait for someone to say "duh it was based on an anime") in its tone and bonkers story elements. I love seeing sci-fi concepts that have never been attempted before. Within 5 minutes when they set up the world I said "Holy shit, we're doing THAT? Sweet!"

First half could've been trimmed, second half was better. Agree with what was already said, it is sloppy at times, but I'll be damned if there wasn't a single frame that there wasn't something interesting (for this sci-fi whore) to look at.

TGM
05-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Saw this in the theater while I was up in NY. It's a god damn bonkers idea, and I absolutely adore this movie purely from a concept perspective alone. That said, it's a damn shame that the movie itself is kind of meh. It's shot and filmed in such a way where it's hard to tell what's even happening half the damn time, which just became frustrating after a while. I wouldn't say it was quite as incomprehensible as something like Independence Day: Resurgence, but it wasn't too far off, which isn't a good thing at all. But this is a rare example where I would actually like to see perhaps an English remake in the hands of a more capable filmmaker that actually does this concept justice, because this movie had all the potential to be a blast to watch with its radical concept, but totally blew it in its execution.

Dukefrukem
05-27-2019, 06:02 PM
https://www.space.com/how-to-move-planet-earth.html