PDA

View Full Version : Fyre (Netflix Doc)

Ezee E
01-21-2019, 10:29 PM
https://news.newonnetflix.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/fyre-poster.jpg

IMDB (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9412098/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Ezee E
01-22-2019, 04:10 AM
This was surprisingly better than I thought it would be for a number of reasons:

-It actually shows the amount of work that goes into making a festival actually work and all the players it involves. That was neat on its own.

-A social media con artist is a great story in itself. The fact that Ja Rule seems to get away with it is an art in itself. Every scene of McFarland and Ja Rule when they were filming the promo is almost a Wolf of Wall Street display of unlimited riches with no conscience involved.

-The display of how quick it takes for people to become primal. In less than one night, panic sets in, and there's a fight for territory, water, and food.

-How one man in a high position can affect thousands of people, and be completely unaware about it.

Plus there's quite a few funny bits to it too. Well done.

Pop Trash
01-23-2019, 06:20 AM
Ja Rule is such a cringe inducing idiot. He always was. Simply astonishing people still give him the time of day.

Peng
01-23-2019, 01:31 PM
That anecdotal about giving a sexual favor "for the team" was unreal. Billy McFarland's entitlement and sense of privilege (that next batch of actual crimes!) practically ooze off the screen. Those poor workers.

amberlita
01-23-2019, 05:29 PM
That anecdotal about giving a sexual favor "for the team" was unreal. Billy McFarland's entitlement and sense of privilege (that next batch of actual crimes!) practically ooze off the screen. Those poor workers.

It was interesting, but I'm taking it all with a grain of salt given the conflict of interest.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/18/686262708/fighting-fyre-with-fyre-fraud-two-documentaries-about-the-same-disaster

Unsurprisingly, the Netflix movie lays nearly all the blame at McFarland's feet.

Ezee E
01-23-2019, 11:35 PM
It was interesting, but I'm taking it all with a grain of salt given the conflict of interest.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/18/686262708/fighting-fyre-with-fyre-fraud-two-documentaries-about-the-same-disaster

Unsurprisingly, the Netflix movie lays nearly all the blame at McFarland's feet.

Not going to lie. The lady that put her own savings to pay for some of the laborers is somewhat sketchy to me. Did you see that cheese sandwich?

Peng
01-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I read that article when the Hulu doc dropped a few days before the Netflix one, but it seems, at worst, the Netflix might downplay Jerry Media's involvement. I went into the Netflix doc with that article in mind, and McFarland still did not come off good to me.

In what ways does the restaurant lady seem sketchy? That food in the pic was meant for the staff, although the guests got some of it because the two food tents were next to each other. The actual food the guests got was (a bit) better, although I feel like even if that food was meant for them, wouldn't that fall on the organizers anyway? They are the ones who ordered.

Dukefrukem
02-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Its an OK doc. But it didn't really give me anything I didn't already know (Except for the "favor" mentioned above... that was insane. More insane that he actually was going to do it). Well edited sure.

Dukefrukem
02-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Not going to lie. The lady that put her own savings to pay for some of the laborers is somewhat sketchy to me. Did you see that cheese sandwich?

I took this as, a small business owner was asked to provide food to workers and guests, she agreed but needed to hire a bigger staff to do so. She promised her staff they would get paid, because she was promised to get paid. She was never paid, but still was responsible for the wages of the staff she hired because they were not directly hired by Fyre Fest people.

Grouchy
07-20-2019, 05:18 PM
I took this as, a small business owner was asked to provide food to workers and guests, she agreed but needed to hire a bigger staff to do so. She promised her staff they would get paid, because she was promised to get paid. She was never paid, but still was responsible for the wages of the staff she hired because they were not directly hired by Fyre Fest people.
Yeah, I fully believe the lady.

I'm not gonna watch another documentary on the same subject unless it has a substantially different perspective but I enjoyed this, if only for the morbid pleasure of watching these rich idiots get duped but a delusional mythomaniac. I mean, the guy doesn't care about anyone but he comes off as sympathetic in comparison to his costumers/marks.