PDA

View Full Version : The Guilty (Gustav Möller)

Stay Puft
11-04-2018, 01:04 AM
THE GUILTY / DEN SKYLDIGE
Dir. Gustav Möller

https://i.imgur.com/nmnE4jl.jpg

IMDb page (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6742252/)

Stay Puft
11-04-2018, 01:09 AM
A sharp debut, well directed and carried by a strong central performance. The material is a little shopworn, and the whole thing can't help but feel derivative of other single-room thrillers. The central dilemma is engaging, though, and it works through some good themes about prejudices and assumptions and good intentions (the road to hell being paved with them, and all). It mostly refuses to offer anything too detailed in terms of a larger socio-political context, which is a strength and a weakness; it's a laser focused character study, so it works on that level, but there are moments near the end where all I could think about was how audiences on this side of the ocean (I'm from Canada, but referring to America generally) would react to certain revelations. It might be a little too hermetic for its own good, but maybe that's just me placing too many demands on genre films. Its simplicity will allow it to "translate" well, as they say, in various markets; it's a safe but assured pick for Denmark's submission to the Oscars this year.

Special mention to the sound design. There's some really good stuff in here.

Peng
12-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Pure catnip for me, as someone who roamed Blockbusters as a kid having particular fondness for stylish high-concept thrillers (Joy Ride, Phone Booth, Cellular) and still delight in the occasional resurgences like Premium Rush or Grand Piano. This smartly doles out information in natural bits and pieces (at least until some coincidences pile up a bit in the late stretch), and wisely stays out of the way for Jakob Cedergren's deft characterization and tense story to play out on his face, words, and body gestures. The stylish touches are mostly in support of the character, such as after a violent breakdown when he is at his lowest point, all that's left in the frame is one red light source bathing him in hellish glow. 7/10

Grouchy
04-05-2019, 02:47 AM
Not much to say about this one except it's very well crafted - it very much feels like the debut of someone who is focused on landing every bet and proving his worth as a deft filmmaker. Like Puft, I noticed the movie's reluctance to engage in social issues despite using them as plot points, but I don't feel that's something that can be held against the movie.