PDA

View Full Version : The Nun (Corin Hardy)

Henry Gale
09-06-2018, 05:47 AM
IMDb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5814060/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nun_(2018_film))

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjM3NzQ5NDcxOF5BMl5BanBnXk FtZTgwNzM4MTQ5NTM@._V1_SY1000_ CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Henry Gale
09-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Within the first 5 minutes I realized this was going to be quite lazy and unimaginative, and at that point I kinda went, "Alright, well let's at least have fun with this."

And I wonder if most of my audience had more or less the same though because everyone seemed to be laughing and exclaiming at all the same parts that I can't imagine movie intended us to, because as it went through a parade of scares that's actually a merry-go-round of the same handful of camera moves and loud sound effects emphasizing sudden jump cuts to scary things, a lot of us seemed to gleefully shake our heads and howl in confusion as characters stumbled through new haunted corners for little no reason other than it being a horror movie, where in its mind stupidity and curiosity dandily go hand in hand when a movie needs characters to go find new avenues of a dead-end devised premise for it to fill 90 minutes.

There are a few moments towards the end where the film suddenly feels like its gotten wind of where its audience may be at in real time, and begins to feel like its intentionally trying to be funny, which leads to some tonally out of place but extremely entertaining moments. (For spoiler-y clarification as to which ones:

- Frenchie shown still lugging that giant cross around with him everywhere he goes.
- The Nun holding him in a deadly chokehold and calling him French, for him to heroically spout the one-liner: "I'm French-Canadian!" (went over especially effectively with our Toronto audience)
- Upon discovering the pure blood of Jesus Christ: "Holy shit!" "The holiest. ;)"
- Farmiga's character sneaking a mouthful of said Christ blood into her mouth while underwater and spewing it out at just the right moment for the big K.O. moment.
)

It's very bad, but its final act isn't without its campy thrills, and there is the odd clever horror reveal shot that you wish the creative team had saved for a better project, or even that someone steals for themselves to do proper justice in the future. In the end, it's quite clearly the weakest of this extended series to my eyes and mind (even though I never saw the first Annabelle, I really like its sequel, as well as The Conjuring 2 even more than its predecessor) and amounts to a movie that feels like it's accidentally saying, "You know that character that wasn't scary enough to be a main antagonistic force in another movie, well it's not very effective in a worse one either!"

Peng
09-06-2018, 12:43 PM
I'm just glad this is finally released so we won't have that trailer with the ear-splitting jump scare anymore.

Ivan Drago
09-06-2018, 04:57 PM
I'm just glad this is finally released so we won't have that trailer with the ear-splitting jump scare anymore.

I saw it was for The Nun right as it started, so I watched with intrigue as the volume lowered down, and then it got me. I thought it was clever until I wondered how many times it scared a 9-to-5er into spitting coffee on their computer monitor.

Ezee E
09-22-2018, 04:56 AM
The worst of the universe and completely without imagination, logic, and interesting characters. THis is a waste of 90 minutes.

It's terrible because characters willingly talk with "people" that any sane person would completely avoid. The other Conjuring movies even had kids that were far smarter than the characters here.

And now the universe is adding in punchlines... Oi.

Ivan Drago
09-22-2018, 07:34 AM
This suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Dukefrukem
11-24-2018, 01:23 AM
Yeh, definitely the weakest in the franchise. It's like someone wrote a bunch of separate scare scenes, filmed each one, and spliced them all together. Didn't feel like harm was coming to any of the characters- and ultimately, I was right. All of them survived.. Did anyone else notice the striking similarities between this premise and Tales from the Crypt; Demon Knight? The ending was completely ripped off.

Ezee E
11-24-2018, 03:03 AM
Still so annoyed that the characters would talk to masked-terrifying figures and not be the least bit spooked or suspicious.

Worst movie of the year.