PDA

View Full Version : Mile 22 (Peter Berg)

TGM
08-23-2018, 12:53 AM
MILE 22

Director: Peter Berg

imdb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4560436/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
08-23-2018, 01:05 AM
A significantly lesser film from Peter Berg, but one I still found enjoyable enough. The foul language and general uber-macho characterization are pretty ridiculous and over the top in this one, to the point where in the hands of a lesser filmmaker, it would almost certainly make the film come across more as gratuitous and overly obnoxious, but with Peter Berg at the helm, it instead becomes actually quite humorous. Wahlberg has a moment where he puts his mission on hold to rescue a colleague, and his reaction after the fact sent my theater in hysterics, and I was personally left chuckling for several minutes at that, while meanwhile the bloody and gory action continued on screen. And yeah, the action can get quite brutal, and even cringe-inducing at times here. A lot of guns and explosions, which Berg has shown time and again to be quite masterful with his action direction, and that's certainly true here as well. But then anytime Iko Uwais from The Raid movies gets in on the action, it becomes a full blown martial arts film as well.

So yeah, it's kind of a mess, in many different regards. Yet, I'd still give this a mild nay. I had fun with this ridiculous shit, lol.

Dukefrukem
04-20-2019, 08:41 PM
I'm beginning to think that Peter Berg is the new Tony Scott (a career of three star films). This is if Ben Affleck's Accountant, went international, and instead of an autistic assassin, you get Mark Wahlberg.

I wish they had replaced Ronda Rousey with Gina Carano. The best parts about this movie are the fight scenes with Iko Uwais. And the sub 90 minute run-time makes this a quick romp. It's violent, illogical and lacking a satisfying payoff, but worth a watch.