PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Rich Asians (Jon M. Chu)

Henry Gale
08-22-2018, 08:04 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3104988/) / Wiki (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Rich_Asians_(film))

https://www.eastwestbank.com/ReachFurther/NewsArticleStore/490/Crazy-Rich-Asians-top3.jpg

DavidSeven
08-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Fun and inventively executed. Structurally, it relies on a predictable rom-com formula, but it works within that structure in a much less grating manner than the vast majority of recent Hollywood efforts. It helps that Michelle Yeoh's character provides a believable source of conflict so that the film doesn't have to rely on miscommunication or other annoying tropes between the romantic leads. You won't find much substance here, and the film doesn't really examine the opulent wealth of its characters in any way other than simple wish-fulfillment. It's a little Entourage-y in that respect. The film excels in providing its supporting characters a lot of shape and definition, and I liked the little bits of the outsider's perspective into modern American culture, particularly the view that the American pursuit of "happiness" is ultimately destructive and self-centered. The line, "finish your dinner, there are starving children in America" is also a winner.

Ezee E
08-24-2018, 04:55 AM
Pretty much what DavidSeven said. Enjoyable enough, and the cast is all fun to watch. Michelle Yeoh is especially a standout whenever she's on screen, and Awkwafina will probably be a comedic sidekick for years to come.

Not entirely sure I can believe in 2018 that the main character wouldn't be aware of how rich her boyfriends' family, unless he was a total recluse on social media. But that's kind of picking at something small. Ultimately, it works, stays funny throughout, and put a smile on my face without a whole lot of eyerolls.

The other big laugh was that bachelor party boat.

transmogrifier
08-24-2018, 05:45 AM
Unless my wife wants to watch it (I'm a good husband), there is no way I'm going near this since I saw a reviewer on RT describe it as a mix of Richard Curtis, Nora Ephron, and Nancy Meyers, three of my most hated directors ever.

Watashi
08-24-2018, 07:05 AM
Unless my wife wants to watch it (I'm a good husband), there is no way I'm going near this since I saw a reviewer on RT describe it as a mix of Richard Curtis, Nora Ephron, and Nancy Meyers, three of my most hated directors ever.

2 of those 3 directors are really good.

transmogrifier
08-24-2018, 08:04 AM
2 of those 3 directors are really good.

Not at all.

baby doll
08-24-2018, 03:08 PM
I asked my wife (who's from Hong Kong) if she wanted to see this. She didn't.

Mal
08-28-2018, 03:22 AM
Mild nay on this. Of course Michelle Yeoh is great and Constance Wu is charming, but the excess and meager scripting gets in the way of the film developing the characters to their potential. The struggle that Astrid experiences is also badly executed. As much as I wanted to enjoy this story, I was left feeling that it all could take place in the same ridiculously shallow world as Sex and the City 2 (no thank you).

Peng
09-02-2018, 04:24 AM
The first scene is played so broad that it has me worried for a moment, but then the film settles into an infectious groove quickly and barely leaves there for the rest of its running time. There are some soap-opera-ish elements (jealous ex, over-the-top tactic) but they are thankfully played more as speed bumps than serious arc/jeopardy, and the one major, potentially most soap-opera-ish conflict (mother-in-law) is played with such relative realism and grace by Michelle Yeoh that it provides a very effective dramatic focus. I also like that this has a rather refreshing rom-com structure by starting off with the couple already in the state of where most rom-coms end up at, so the film is able to makes its tone a mostly celebratory, joyous one about their love and culture clashes instead. 7.5/10

Dead & Messed Up
12-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Cute and winning jokes and performances elevate the film above its romcom tropes, although the shameless indulgence of billionaire lifestyle rubbed me raw pretty quickly. Odd how the Amanda element drops out halfway through and stops being a factor because, I dunno, Rachel gets confident?

Ezee E
12-12-2018, 03:14 PM
In China, I believe this movie is called Tales of Gold Digging. lol.

Dead & Messed Up
12-12-2018, 03:33 PM
In China, I believe this movie is called Tales of Gold Digging. lol.

I can only assume that, in a sequel, Rachel takes all Nick's money and then shouts, "For America!"

Irish
12-12-2018, 06:06 PM
I really need Spinal to see this. :D

baby doll
12-12-2018, 07:24 PM
In China, I believe this movie is called Tales of Gold Digging. lol.Much better title.

Dead & Messed Up
12-12-2018, 07:43 PM
I was frustrated because I thought the title meant some of them were crazy, but no, it's that new popular and incorrect thing where adjectives modify adjectives instead of adverbs. Someone isn't "crazily rich," they're "crazy rich." Ugh. Gross.

Ezee E
12-13-2018, 12:08 AM
I remember seeing Awkwafina's family, and thinking THEY were the rich ones, lol.

Irish
01-17-2019, 04:39 AM
The weirdest part is when the bachelor party is going out to the boat by helicopter ... and "Ride of the Valkyries" plays on the soundtrack. Like, what? Did they intentionally make an "Apocalypse Now" reference ... in this context?

The movie is pretty silly, pretty thin. It fits a certain template, though --- the "exotic" indie that comes around every few years and is inexplicably popular. Eg: "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," "Slumdog Millionaire," etc

The performers put a lot of energy into their roles but holy shit every supporting character was a massive cliche and so very limited.

For a movie that features an all-Asian cast and takes place in Singapore, "Crazy Rich Asians" does a helluva job reflecting American middle-class values. (Not to mention that every character speaks perfect English (even when talking privately) and there's almost no sign of any Asian culture.)

I saw a lot of critics touting this film as a victory for representation, but what was represented here? Christianity, Western customs, Mahjong, and dumplings --- touchstones that a white audience would be comfortable with.

This movie is like the PF Chang's of cinematic experiences.

ETA: Also, I found it strange that, for a movie about the "crazy rich," there wasn't a lot of money onscreen. Like no ostentatious luxury good or locations. Everything the characters do, you could do for a few hundred thoudsand tops.