PDA

View Full Version : The First Purge (Gerard McMurray)

TGM
07-04-2018, 08:57 PM
THE FIRST PURGE

Director: Gerard McMurray

imdb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133466/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
07-04-2018, 09:01 PM
I liked how this one finally addressed why Purge night is so focused almost exclusively on murder, considering all crime is legal. It actually starts out that all anybody is using the night for really is just looting and partying hard with no consequences, but then the government had to intervene and basically manipulate it into being a pure killing fest. Overall, this was one of the better entries in this series.

Ezee E
07-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Terrible. I enjoyed the first one for its Home Alone approach, but here, the movie tries to legitimatize an already awful idea. The political approach already doesn't make any sense, but since that world was in a setting that had the Purge going for many a years it got a pass. It's the execution from the Politicians to make it a reality that is even worse. It's laughable.

I enjoyed the Skeletor villain on an "Exploitation Film" basis, and the movie creates a pretty good Nightmarish setting, but the action and fight scenes are so repetitive and predictable that I couldn't appreciate it like the first two.

Dukefrukem
10-10-2020, 11:46 AM
Solid and dumb fun. The political angle only makes topical sense to kill off the poor, so they stop taking advantage of government programs and therefore the government doesn't need to pay them. I like undertone that this idea was conceived by the Trump administration. I also enjoyed the anti-hero portion of the drug dealer defending his turf from the mercenaries.

Really appreciated the Trump line: "pussy grabbing mother fucker"