PDA

View Full Version : Blockers (Kay Cannon)

TGM
07-04-2018, 05:23 AM
BLOCKERS

Director: Kay Cannon

imdb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2531344/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
07-04-2018, 05:24 AM
So this wasn't necessarily the funniest movie (a really cheesy joke about how many rooms there were in a hotel honestly got the biggest laugh out of me. Like, I was seriously still dying even five minutes later). However, it's still an all around really sweet, genuine film, with a real positive message concerning women and sexuality, and it's well worth checking out.

Overall, I'd say that this year's rated R comedies have been bringing a certain level of class back to the genre that's largely been missing for a real long time now, and that trend definitely continues with this film, too. All in all, good solid stuff.

Peng
07-04-2018, 01:55 PM
This is going to be a very rewatchable 3/5-star-type film. The pace weirdly veers a bit towards a drama, when the overall arc of the plot, which adheres to being absolutely formulaic with gooey "lessons learned" moments at the end, requires something more manic. Understandable somewhat because the film takes these six characters, parents and teens alike, seriously. Their writing is way sharper than the genre's norm (even the typical profane buffoon role turns out to be the most layered of this group, without betraying his personality type), and all the actors are absolutely charming and adept at making them feel like real people. The usual tired sex comedy raunch with a surprisingly sensitive, progressive core. 6.5/10