PDA

View Full Version : Adrift (Baltasar Kormákur)

TGM
06-14-2018, 02:39 AM
ADRIFT

Director: Baltasar Kormákur

imdb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6306064/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
06-14-2018, 02:41 AM
This was seriously great. And why is Shailene Woodley not a bigger star yet? She's simply outstanding in this film. Probably the single best performance I've seen this year thus far. Fantastic work all around.

Ivan Drago
06-14-2018, 04:38 AM
Is Baltasar Kormakur just the new Wolfgang Petersen?

StuSmallz
06-14-2018, 04:47 AM
Is Baltasar Kormakur just the new Wolfgang Petersen?In what manner?

Ivan Drago
06-14-2018, 02:27 PM
I was half-joking, but the sentiment comes from how they both make movies centered around the conflict of man versus nature on a massive scale. Certainly surface-level, but not a knock on either filmmaker in any way.

TGM
06-14-2018, 11:41 PM
Meanwhile, the list of movies where I've had the theater entirely to myself for is such an odd assortment of films. o.O

Adrift
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
Carol
Good Time
Hugo
Ingrid Goes West
Jane Got A Gun
Laggies
The Lego Ninjago Movie
Lion
The Masked Saint
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
Race
Risen
Secret In Their Eyes
We Are Your Friends

Skitch
06-18-2018, 07:31 PM
How does this compare to All Is Lost?

TGM
06-18-2018, 07:39 PM
How does this compare to All Is Lost?

It's a pretty different movie, though there are certainly similarities in some regards, which I was thinking of while watching. Personally, I liked this one better. You get a better feel for the characters here, which makes it easier to get more invested in. I'd say probably the biggest difference between the two though is how they're edited. All is Lost is pretty much a straightforward start to finish affair, IIRC, starting with the boat having crashed, and following just one guy in what's almost more of a silent film. This movie starts similarly, but we follow two characters here instead, and it's told in a non-linear fashion, so we jump between the events prior to the storm leading up to it, and the events after the storm all throughout. So it keeps things consistently interesting, and it's not done just for the sake of telling a story out of order either, as when you get to the end, there's a distinct reason you see why they told the story that way.

Basically, they're both great movies in their own right, with similar aspects, but pretty different in execution.

Skitch
06-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Got it. I looooooove All Is Lost.

Dukefrukem
06-18-2018, 08:01 PM
How does this compare to Dead Calm? :)

TGM
06-18-2018, 08:07 PM
How does this compare to Dead Calm? :)

I haven't seen that one. :(