PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade (Leigh Whannell)

TGM
06-09-2018, 01:47 AM
UPGRADE

Director: Leigh Whannell

imdb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6499752/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Pop Trash
06-14-2018, 03:09 AM
A better 2018 Death Wish than the actual 2018 Death Wish, Upgrade also reminds me of a B+ movie that Alex Proyas or Kathryn Bigalow might have made circa 1994.

The plot is fairly incidental (w/ some Nolan-esque dead wife tropes), but I like the push-pull of technology on hero Grey Trace (nice name) in that his initial luddite attitude towards self-driving cars and the Alexa style A.I. around him flips once his own A.I. gives him immeasurable strength to pulverize any baddies that get in his way. He's a Joe Sixpack everyman for our nebulous love affair with rapidly advancing technology. I couldn't help but think of parallels with his situation and the thousands of veterans that have come back from both Afghanistan and Iraq over the last fifteen years with similar corporeal degradation.

Bonus points for the neon lighting, burbling electronic score, and a solid steel physical performance from Logan Marshall-Green.

Ezee E
08-25-2018, 03:09 PM
I'm shocked this hasn't been seen by more MCers or the genre peeps in Film Twitter. A great premise, neat use of sci-fi, and overall it's pretty fun, and not a franchise.

I'll take these any day.

Solid ending too.

Ivan Drago
08-26-2018, 10:22 PM
I saw this during its initial theatrical run but didn't feel like writing anything about it. It's just pure 80s B-movie bliss, right down to how well it blends all the genres it employs, and how it tackles its themes of autonomy, sentience and the evolution of today's technology in such an original manner. Can't wait to watch it again!

Dukefrukem
09-11-2018, 04:32 PM
So umm. How is this not talked about more here?

I can already tell this is going to be better than Venom; Same concept. Considering Logan Marshall-Green is the poor man's Tom Hardy and both movies have a confused person defending themselves against attackers while speaking to themselves.

This is like Ex Machina had a baby with John Wick.

megladon8
09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
I was kind of worried this was one of those flicks that showed all the best stuff in the red band trailer.

I guess that’s not the case?

Grouchy
02-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Wow, Carpenter would be proud of his offspring. I loved watching this - what a genre film is supposed to be and feel like, and it's an original story to boot

megladon8
04-12-2019, 03:42 AM
Holy moly this was great.

Irish
04-12-2019, 04:11 AM
Yeah, never said, but this was probably the biggest surprise of 2018 and the most fun I had at the movies that year.

megladon8
04-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Yeah, never said, but this was probably the biggest surprise of 2018 and the most fun I had at the movies that year.

Loved the ending. Such a satisfying close to the story.

And man, Logan Marshall Green’s robotic movements whenever STEM takes over are phenomenal. His performance just from a physical standpoint was something else.

Irish
04-12-2019, 02:42 PM
And man, Logan Marshall Green’s robotic movements whenever STEM takes over are phenomenal. His performance just from a physical standpoint was something else.

Those sequences were so great, both dark and funny. Green really sold me on the idea that he's a guy fighting to retain control over his body.

megladon8
04-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Those sequences were so great, both dark and funny. Green really sold me on the idea that he's a guy fighting to retain control over his body.

Also loved his disgust at what the body was doing during the ultra violent sections.

And was doing some reading and found there was a significant amount of thought out into his movement, and I really want to rewatch to see. For example, whenever STEM takes over, his hands will quickly move his head when needed, since STEM doesn’t have control above his neck.