PDA

View Full Version : Tully (Jason Reitman)

Stay Puft
04-21-2018, 11:05 PM
TULLY
Dir. Jason Reitman

https://i.imgur.com/6n0SWGG.png

IMDb page (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5610554/)

Stay Puft
04-21-2018, 11:19 PM
I missed Young Adult, and it has been far too long to remember much of Juno, outside of its particular reputation. So I can't say much in the way of comparison, unfortunately. This strikes me as being in the same ballpark, however. Cody's snappy dialogue and sarcastic humor is certainly on display. It's hard to talk about the film because it's built entirely around a particular plot development that all of the marketing material hides, a narrative strategy that is sometimes to its benefit but mostly feels like a detriment and a crutch. In that, the film becomes more about the plot, and less about the thing it should be about. If that makes sense (this is all vague, I know, but since I saw it in a preview screening, I don't want to spoil the film for anybody). I like the idea of the film, I just don't know if coming at it this way was a good choice. But there are other things I still liked about the film, particularly Charlize Theron's performance, and the deep dive into the unglamorous details of motherhood (there's a montage early in the film that is brilliant in its ugly, mundane musicality). It's okay, but I still haven't been won over yet by Diablo Cody and/or Jason Reitman. I just can't muster much enthusiasm for their work, even when I don't hate it or anything. I dunno. YMMV.

Pop Trash
04-26-2018, 04:52 PM
I missed Young Adult

I thought Young Adult was quite good fwiw. Better than Juno in my opinion.

Ezee E
05-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Terrible movie. The twist covers up the fact that this family is truly doomed and everyone outside of the primary family knows it.

I don't get it.

Peng
10-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Torn between finding the reveal really unsatisfying in the context of this story, and being touched by two performers making the emotions behind it feel so real (Theron phenomenal and layered, and Davis so sincere she overcomes her character's potentially grating MPDG tics). Maybe if the film lets the reveal's knowledge known throughout and inform the story, rather than have it fill in the blanks in retrospect? 6.5/10

Dukefrukem
01-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Super unsatisfying.

Ezee E
01-14-2019, 04:43 AM
Super unsatisfying.

As a soon-to-be father, please expand.

Grouchy
01-23-2019, 01:43 PM
I had to Google two acronyms so far in this thread.

Same as Stay Puft, I only have issues with the plot twist because I always have issues with this kind of plot twist that renders a large chunk of the movie's screentime meaningless in retrospect, specially for a dramatic comedy. Regardless, my issues are with the plot twist itself and not with its execution by Cody which is flawless. Everything else about the movie I found refreshing and stylish. Theron gives a typically assured performance and I agree that the motherhood montage is a high point of the year.

Young Adult remains my favorite Reitman/Cody team-up.