PDA

View Full Version : Mary and the Witch's Flower (Hiromasa Yonebayashi)

TGM
01-24-2018, 05:10 AM
MARY AND THE WITCH'S FLOWER

Director: Hiromasa Yonebayashi

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6336356/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
01-24-2018, 05:19 AM
You know those long running anime series that'll often get these quick spin-off movies that you don't really expect much from in terms of plot or character, but you kinda go and see anyways, just because you're just that big a fan of the show? Yeah, I spent a good portion of this movie wondering what this felt like, when it suddenly hit me about 2/3 of the way in, that it was precisely that sorta movie, with its super rushed pacing and lack of any real development for the characters or the sudden villains, who have no real discernible motive that's actually fleshed out or makes any sense, other than that we need a villain apparently. The only difference here is, there's no actual anime series that this movie is based off of, meaning there's no built in fanbase who can come out and enjoy the movie for what it is, for giving us just a little bit more of that series that we love so much, even though really we all know that this movie's not actually any good. So really, with that all in mind, I can't even think of who this movie could possibly be made for. It certainly doesn't stand on its own merits, that's for sure.