PDA

View Full Version : Desire (Diego Kaplan)

Grouchy
01-12-2018, 09:15 PM
https://laentradaalcine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Desearas-al-hombre-de-tu-hermana-poster-1.jpg

Grouchy
01-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Ok, I did it again. Sorry. Could someone add the polls for this and the Wonder Wheel thread, please?

I would have never in a million years watched this except for the amount of film buff friends who told me it was actually good - and boy, they were right. It's an over-the-top sex comedy about the two daughters of an eccentric MILF and their decades long rivalry over men. One of them is a control freak who can't enjoy an orgasm (and, in one of the film's most shocking scenes, takes it upon herself to make sure she never will) while the other, played by Pampita (the sexual fantasy of basically every Argentinian male my age) is a natural woman to whom everything comes easily, from seducing men to riding horses.

The film never takes itself seriously but achieves a kind of effect that I've only seen before in Almodóvar's films - through unrealistic plot twists and an atmosphere of what I can only describe as magical realism the characters achieve a considerable degree of dramatic trascendence and I was fully involved in the melodramatic finale. The direction is excellent and, although it could have been more harmoniously paced, the frantic accumulation of events also responds to the freewheeling spirit with which it's made. Add to this that the acting runs the gamut from remarkably good (Frigerio, hell, even Pampita to be honest) to atrociously bad (Antonópulos, the two guys) and this is an unusual film (specially in the Argentinian landscape) that will be in my mind for a while. I laughed often and even more often I ended up staring at the screen in disbelief of what I was seeing.