PDA

View Full Version : The Disaster Artist (James Franco)

Ivan Drago
11-23-2017, 05:33 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOGNkMzliMGMtMDI5Ni00OTZkLT gyMTYtNzk5ZTY1NjVhYjVmXkEyXkFq cGdeQXVyNTAzMTY4MDA@._V1_UY120 0_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3521126/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disaster_Artist_(film))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKX2tE5Luk

Ivan Drago
11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
I'm going to be a part of a group review of this for the website I write for, so my full thoughts will come before its official release here (December 8th). But until then, I can tell you that it's hilarious enough for both Room enthusiasts and the general public to enjoy, while portraying Tommy and Greg in such an endearing way, and staying grounded in its realistic depiction of Los Angeles.

This was everything I wanted it to be, and I can't wait to see it again.

Spinal
12-03-2017, 01:20 AM
James Franco's lead performance keeps the movie consistently fun. But there's not a lot of insight here. Unlike Ed Wood, which I think successfully explores what happens when reckless ambition is unmatched by discernible talent, this film seems to waver between a highly romanticized version of Wiseau's quirks and moments of unnecessarily pointing out why the awful movie he made is funny. I did not like the celebrity 'testimonials' that open the film. And all along, I got the nagging feeling that I was helping add to Wiseau's completely unjustified celebrity. But it's clearly a film made with joy and I did laugh a lot. I would perhaps have enjoyed a film that wasn't so clearly in bed with its subject matter.

Henry Gale
12-04-2017, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I got to see it on Friday, and I had a blast watching it, but it's hard for me to really separate my own love for The Room, Sestero's book, the strange phenomenon of it all, and even having met awkwardly met them both Wiseau and Sestero in person (to this day Tommy is the only time I've felt downright speechless and weirdly frozenly nervous to speak with someone "famous", as he has just as much of an enigmatic energy as you'd assume, with him being so hard to read or even know how he perceives your admiration of him), to really know how to put a real discerning critical eye to Franco's film here. But I will try!

I did love watching it, but Spinal I basically agree with every issue you bring up, and I have a lot of other feelings in terms of stuff that doesn't work or is misjudged in its framing, even if they make the film more effective, especially for those who are not versed in the bizarre world of its cult (a.k.a. most people). But again, it's largely very well-made and has so much great material to pull from that I think Neustadter & Weber's screenplay is the key thing that really pulls it all together nicely to make a handsomely streamlined narrative basically just about two people who would never have "made it" (in the sense of any of us simply knowing their names for technically doing the thing they set out to), if it weren't for one another, even if this movie had to be the way, and that their fragile friendship would basically foreshadow the contention between Tommy's passion project and the world's perception of it, proving that the his contempt for Greg had nothing to do with him, but had more to do with own insecurities about the world and other people, both being thing he largely doesn't understand, despite his desire to so vividly, unashamedly put himself out there for them.

The Room was never going to be good in any traditional sense. And say it somehow, miraculously was, it's still very possible that no one would ever be really talking about it today. It still would've been something made so far outside the system, as well as outside any parameters of common sense as a production, that its top-to-bottom aura of being an absolute anomaly is what translates so purely to it as a film, and that's what's carried it between people telling the next person that they had to see it for years now. It's a remarkable piece of work for how it's made, entirely in terms of its looks and feels as a final product, regardless of needing to know the potential "why" story of its hazardous production as the key narrative necessary to explaining its insanity onscreen. And maybe that might in some way contradict everything here and mean that I think that makes this movie pointless as anything but another Franco "What if I.." exercise, but I think it really does manages to be a good movie for its time about the definitive bad movie of its time, and perhaps that's the jock-y position it was going to succeed on (in terms of at worst, it would still get higher marks than its subject, with the all-time faintest praise of "At least it's better than The Room!") against the weirdos of its cinematic worldview, but the fact that it's as truly interested and sincere about how it treats this story is what I think truly justifies it all, and that commitment is what leads to making it such an enjoyable experience, and even weirdly emotionally effective one.

If this is the way the masses come to appreciate and connect to The Room in a way similar to how I have for many years, then all the better for it. But to me, the original film is everything I ever needed to be fascinated with it. Having said that, I'm glad this film exists both for its merits as a self-contained story (as much as it strains that with its beginning and ending bits) but especially as a more accessible entry point, a bigger cultural celebration of it, and overall something more of justification for it being as prominent as its sure to be over time.

You can never explain something as truly insane as The Room, but The Disaster Artist is an interesting exploration in attempting to do so with all the information it has by people with more expertise in the field.

Oh and it's also very funny and worth seeing for that alone, which seems like is kind of a big goal for it. Maybe I just should've said that?

*** / 7.6

Spinal
12-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Yes, my perspective is from somebody who watched The Room once many years ago and didn't really get nearly as much pleasure from it as other people seem to. I mostly thought it was just boring.

Ivan Drago
12-05-2017, 04:34 PM
And voila: https://615film.com/2017/12/05/615-film-staff-reviews-disaster-artist/

megladon8
12-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Is Tommy Wiseau for real?

I mean, is he just an astoundingly eccentric individual? Or is he one of the greatest trolls of all time?

With so much mystery around his past, and interviews being so baffling and strange...is he really this guy? Or is he a persona invented by someone who has method acted their way through life for 20 years?

I saw an interview with him and Franco (I think it was on Kimmel), where Wiseau openly stated that his accent is constantly changing. Which would mean he’s putting it on, right?

So who is this guy really?

Mysterious Dude
12-06-2017, 02:39 PM
His accent is real. He is Polish.

I think he is also a compulsive liar. When people started to like The Room as an unintentional comedy, he's like, "No, I totally meant to make it a comedy," in an effort to save face.

megladon8
12-06-2017, 03:41 PM
But what he said about himself - that he constantly changes his accent - is what was weird to me.

Do you mean him saying that about himself was part of his pentiant for lying?

D_Davis
12-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Yes, my perspective is from somebody who watched The Room once many years ago and didn't really get nearly as much pleasure from it as other people seem to. I mostly thought it was just boring.

There's ten minutes of so-bad-it's-good material in The Room, the rest is just bad. There are way better bad movies to love.

Spinal
12-06-2017, 04:25 PM
So who is this guy really?

I imagine if we knew this, people would feel less comfortable giggling at his goofy antics. A mysteriously wealthy guy who has moved to a different country and doesn't want you to know anything about his past or how he acquired his money? Yeah .... that's probably legit.

megladon8
12-06-2017, 06:59 PM
There's ten minutes of so-bad-it's-good material in The Room, the rest is just bad. There are way better bad movies to love.

Samurai Cop is tops for my money.

Skitch
12-06-2017, 08:11 PM

That reminds me, part two is somewhere on Roku...

Neclord
12-06-2017, 08:19 PM
I think there's definitely a less cuddly version of this story to be made, but I liked it anyway.

D_Davis
12-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Troll 2 and Wolf Devil Woman for me.

number8
12-06-2017, 10:11 PM
I will put The Room far above failed genre pics, because I feel like it engages your brain to make sense of it much more than the over-the-top trashiness of championed bad movies do, and that's just more satisfying for me to laugh at than stilted acting, gonzo plotting, or cheap effects. There's a recognizably sincere attempt at a singular point of view in The Room that theoretically could track to what one would call a story, but along the way it became absolutely incoherent because of this guy's warped understanding of human behavior (The Disaster Artist book's insight into Wiseau's bizarre day to day relationships with people really put this clearly for me). It makes sense that the cult following for it started in LA. It's like a deconstructed drama template that's been put back together wrong. I love it dearly.

transmogrifier
12-06-2017, 10:57 PM
All of the purportedly "so-bad-they're-good" movies that I have seen are just plain bad and boring. It's something I have never gotten into, the ironic celebration of shitty film-making. I only watched The Room because I read the book and I wanted to see the final product. Yeah, it's bad and boring, but at least I could spend most of the time recalling the behind the scenes gossip from the book, which helped me grind my way through it.

number8
12-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Saw this last night. And oh man, as someone who's been swimming in the Tommy Wiseau mystery for 10+ years now, do I have thoughts. I can't help but to compare it to the book, which is tonally very different, but I do think this is well done as a comedic story of the behind the scenes making of the movie. You get a different portrait of Tommy here than you get from the book. Franco seems to have gotten chummy with Wiseau over the making of the film, and I wonder if that colored the outcome. I keep thinking about how Wiseau said Franco's movie is 99% true, while he said Sestero's book was only about 40%. I think that's tied to his need to be seen as a sympathetic dreamer, which the movie positions him to be.

This movie paints Wiseau and Sestero as the two dudes from American Movie. The book has a more sinister edge to the way it described their friendship, and even self-compared to Tom Ripley and Dickie Greenleaf in The Talented Mr. Ripley. For that reason, I think the book is far more interesting of a story than this movie, but I think Franco doesn't really want to Heart of Darkness or Ed Wood this thing. I think he just set out to make a love letter to both The Room and the cult following it has amassed. It's obvious in the way it transplants the baffled reactions to The Room into the dialogue of the crew members, especially Seth Rogen's Sandy. A lot of the jokes here hinges on the audience's hindsight knowledge (which is why I think you get so much more out of this movie if you know The Room intimately).

The celebrity testimonials that opened the movie was weird at first, and the staggering amount of cameos got distracting, but by the end I kind of got the role they served, especially watching the painstakingly recreated The Room scenes. This movie is as much a vanity project for Franco as The Room was for Wiseau*. This is really just a bunch of his buddies getting together to pay tribute to a movie they all love (he even invented a meeting between Cranston and Sestero that never happened in real life, just to shoehorn in his Why Him? costar). It's like he made this just for the chance to do a Tommy Wiseau impression that makes his friends laugh, rather than to show how mysterious and fascinating Tommy Wiseau is. This is a Hollywood version of Tommy, which means it's also a huge gift to Tommy from Franco, because this movie finally fulfills Tommy's dream of being seen as a hero, rather than a Frankenstein's monster.

* My friend said after the movie that it would make a fun double feature with INT. LEATHER BAR.

Pop Trash
12-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Many lifetimes ago, one of my friends hosted a bad movie night once a week. It was decided that 1980's The Apple was the Citizen Kane of bad movies. I believe Gymkata was like the Tokyo Story.

Pop Trash
12-08-2017, 10:38 PM
I will put The Room far above failed genre pics, because I feel like it engages your brain to make sense of it much more than the over-the-top trashiness of championed bad movies do, and that's just more satisfying for me to laugh at than stilted acting, gonzo plotting, or cheap effects. There's a recognizably sincere attempt at a singular point of view in The Room that theoretically could track to what one would call a story, but along the way it became absolutely incoherent because of this guy's warped understanding of human behavior (The Disaster Artist book's insight into Wiseau's bizarre day to day relationships with people really put this clearly for me). It makes sense that the cult following for it started in LA. It's like a deconstructed drama template that's been put back together wrong. I love it dearly.

Yeah I love it too. Something about the late 90s/early 2000s DIY indie aesthetic gone horribly wrong, plus the retardo Cassavettes singular point-of-view of Wiseau, plus the complete lack of self-awareness surrounding Wiseau and his misogynistic antics, plus Wiseau's bizarre almost Borat-like vaguely European, vaguely foreign persona. It's just a goldmine.

number8
12-08-2017, 11:03 PM
The Room prepared me to become a Yorgos Lanthimos fan.

Mal
12-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Franco's performance is amazing. Dave Franco ... ehh not so much. But the scope of the picture and its tale of two buddies trying to make it is so entertaining and not too fantastical as a story of triumph. Tommy is a weird dude but the film keeps his interesting bits on the ground. Its not a perfect picture but the overall storytelling is strong and quite enjoyable.

megladon8
12-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Am I really alone in thinking Franco’s impression of Wiseau is terrible?

I mean, maybe his overall performance in the film is great.

But he doesn’t resemble, sound like or act like Wiseau at all.

Dukefrukem
12-11-2017, 06:50 PM
But what he said about himself - that he constantly changes his accent - is what was weird to me.

Do you mean him saying that about himself was part of his pentiant for lying?

On Stern, him and Franco were on; Apparently he got a dialect coach and is constantly trying to get rid of his accent so he can get more roles, which is why sometimes he sounds so different.

The most fascinating thing I find, is where he got the $6 million to shoot the the Room in the first place (which btw, is hilarous in itself that movie cost that much to make... since it's literally only 3 sets). He will say he got it from investment property and selling denim .

His response exactly was: "I buy an apartment building for $2 million and sell for $3 million- I make a million dollars"

number8
12-11-2017, 07:07 PM
That's one of the things revealed in the book that the movie cut completely. Sestero did find out that he's some kind of real estate whiz while filming The Room, among other facts about Tommy's origin, and put it in the book much to Tommy's chagrin. I think the movie either didn't want to get on Tommy's bad side, or thought it's more compelling form him as a character to stay a mystery.

The book has a scene where Tommy reveals to Sestero that he was the owner of an entire multi-story building right on San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf district. My jaw dropped when I learned that.

Ezee E
12-12-2017, 05:47 AM
I haven't seen The Room, nor do I really want to. I've never been a fan of the "so bad they're good movies" because I'll chuckle for a few mins, and then just want to do something else.

However, this was very fun to watch for the creative process at trying to make something that one thinks is really good, that is so obviously bad to others. The Franco Brothers are spot on together, and the Tommy is just grounded barely enough that I think everyone can think of 'that guy' they've seen before.

There's a side of Tommy that scares me that I was hoping the movie wouldn't explore. I wanted to just have a good time and laugh with this one, and I did. Good, fun stuff.

Ezee E
12-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Without doing any type of research, and just the exposure of him to the movie, my own thought of how Tommy got money would be some medical/accident settlement that he eventually developed into real estate.

Dead & Messed Up
12-15-2017, 03:05 AM
Light enough to like, but so superficial that I came out of the film mostly just wanting to watch The Room again, which in its own lunkheaded way felt more piercing and passionate than this film, which is too celebratory and rubricky (sic) to ever come alive on its own terms except some of the climactic scenes (the confrontation during the bedroom scene, the late-shoot "football" scene, the uneasy cruelty of the theater screening and the unconvincing re-branding attempt).

If there is a reason to watch the original film, for me it's the fact that you start to piece together that you're seeing a warped, awful, but very specific perspective that you'd never see otherwise. In that sense, it does carry some of the incidental fascination of the (best) worst movies of Neil Breen and Ed Wood.

But because this film should have more access to the real story, I wasn't interested in them building Tommy as some sort of mystery figure with laudable dreams. I mean, if you've actually watched The Room, there are clearly enormous fucking issues with this guy. Ed Wood had a similar goal but came about it more honestly by giving us an unmitigated dark side to Hollywood ambition in Martin Landau's stunning performance as Bela. Nobody here has that dimension - or even seems interested.

transmogrifier
12-15-2017, 03:37 AM
Ed Wood is a fantastic film. Just wanted to say that.

Dead & Messed Up
12-15-2017, 03:43 AM
Ed Wood is a fantastic film. Just wanted to say that.

Agreed. My favorite film of Tim Burton's.

Grouchy
01-04-2018, 04:26 AM
I got into this movie a minute late, which is something that I very rarely do. It all started with the acting class for me.

I don't know... I read the book too recently for me to like this. Like 8 says, the book paints a pretty level-headed character assessment of Wiseaw and shows him on his darker and more troubled moments, which is something that this film never really does. And yes, it does sound like Franco just personally appreciates all the laughs he's gotten out of Wiseaw so much that he doesn't want to go there. It's an uncomfortable line, to be honest. There were times reading the book where I was fascinated by Tommy's weirdness and I recalled people whom I've met in real life that exhibited some of these traits, and I couldn't imagine myself putting all that stuff on print about a person that I've met intimately and that never did me no wrong. I also think, as a result of this contrast, the Greg Sestero of the film is basically a gullible, impotent and kind hearted idiot while the one self-described in the book is a completely ordinary person that only goes along with this trainwreck because he's getting paid.

But I did laugh a lot, so there's that.

Grouchy
01-04-2018, 04:41 AM
I even thought the structure itself of the book was smarter than the one in the movie. Sestero opens with a scene of them having dinner in a legendary Hollywood restaurant the night before production on The Room is set to begin. And that scene shows how a person like Tommy could overcome other people's common sense just by being 100% oblivious to reality and irrationally confident. And from there on, he alternates between flashback chapters about his friendship with Tommy (which is longer and more nuanced) and the production of The Room.

Peng
01-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Maybe it's because I watched The Room and then read Sestero's very good book leading up to this film, never participating in any of the cultiness. But what I take from both, apart from the compelling and occasionally fun ineptitude, is the complexity of Wiseau and in maintaining a relationship with him, with all those exhilaration and toxicity. And even though he remains a fascinating figure throughout, I'm still disturbed and appalled by the abuses too much to ever join in the fun of his cult now, I think.

Which might put me in a wrong frame of mind for this film, because I find it streamlined (a shame since the book's structure seems tailor made for adaptation), simplified (over half of the psychological darkness gone and a lot more heartwarming), and rather sloppy in centering around and lurching through Sestero's character. But man, James Franco is just too enormous fun for me not to dig this on some level. And casting brothers as Wiseau and Sestero might be some extratextual shortcut, but it resonates quite a bit emotionally nonetheless. 6/10

Dukefrukem
03-12-2018, 06:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=eFjFxgHedgM

Dukefrukem
09-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Free on youtube now in case anyone hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htzzL-JOUg