PDA

View Full Version : The Deuce (Season 1)

Spinal
11-22-2017, 06:09 PM
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p485/joelharmonpdx/the-deuce-hbo-season-1-ratings-canceled-or-season-2_zpswqwknidz.jpg

First season is awfully damn good. Superb ensemble, but Maggie Gyllenhaal is the heart of the show. James Franco is playing twins, and I honestly have no idea how they're doing it in some cases. Really impressive effects and editing in the scenes where the two characters appear together. I like how this show treats the subject matter with honesty and thorough historical detail. It sidesteps neither the allure or the degradation of the sex industry. And it chooses a diverse range of characters from which to offer a perspective, both high and low in status. Looking forward to more of this one.

number8
11-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Franco's performance in this is the most effective of "one guy playing twins" performance I've seen, and I figured out that it's because Franco has cultivated a dual career. We're all very familiar with the way he plays a role, but he's playing the deadbeat brother like he's in a Seth Rogen movie and the serious brother like he's in one of his Faulkner adaptations. It's convincing as hell.

Spinal
11-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Franco's performance in this is the most effective of "one guy playing twins" performance I've seen, and I figured out that it's because Franco has cultivated a dual career. We're all very familiar with the way he plays a role, but he's playing the deadbeat brother like he's in a Seth Rogen movie and the serious brother like he's in one of his Faulkner adaptations. It's convincing as hell.

Totally agree. It's a very subtle difference, and yet, there is never any confusion as to which brother is which. I can't believe he's playing twins and also directing some of these episodes.