PDA

View Full Version : MLB Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Dukefrukem
08-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Of all the words I can think of to describe the Giants, 'terrifying' is probably the last one that comes to mind. Unless Bengie Molina and Edgar Renteria really put the fear of God into you.

And somehow you have to go against Lincecum twice.

shaun
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
ERA+
Lincecum - 196
Cain - 191

That's ridiculous in a 5 game set. Just to put it in perspective, the 01 Diamondbacks have the 1/2 punch that everyone remembers carrying their team to a title.

ERA+
Johnson - 188
Schilling - 157

Dukefrukem
08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
ERA+
Lincecum - 196
Cain - 191

That's ridiculous in a 5 game set. Just to put it in perspective, the 01 Diamondbacks have the 1/2 punch that everyone remembers carrying their team to a title.

ERA+
Johnson - 188
Schilling - 157

That's "great" but it's not ridiculous. Ridiculous is 200+

Ezee E
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, hopefully Benny won't have to worry about that because the Rockies take the Wild Card instead.

ledfloyd
08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
if i had to pick the world series winner right now i think i would say phillies without hesitation.

Ezee E
08-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Lidge is a question mark this year, but Rollins is just now heating up. I don't know too much about their middle relief pitchers.

The Rockies fan in me makes me think that it's basically the same team, with an improvement in the relief staff (they've been amazing since the All-Star break), consistent starting pitchers that have also been around for some time. No Jeff Francis deer in headlights this time.

Dukefrukem
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I can't believe I stayed up all night watching the Sox.......

Benny Profane
08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Lidge is a question mark this year, but Rollins is just now heating up. I don't know too much about their middle relief pitchers.

Madson
Chan Ho
Romero
Durbin
Eyre

It's not great, but certainly not awful.

Benny Profane
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Pujols with the bases loaded this year: 7 for 10, 5 grand slams, 3.144 OPS.

hahahaha

Ezee E
08-05-2009, 01:07 PM

hahahaha
Wow. Didn't know that stat. Ridiculous.

The Rockies change up their batting lineup every day it seems. Seems to be working though.

Kurosawa Fan
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Madson
Chan Ho
Romero
Durbin
Eyre

It's not great, but certainly not awful.

How has Durbin been doing for you? I was kind of sad to see him go. Wasn't the best arm out of the pen, but he was at least solid, which is more than I can say for most of our middle relievers.

Benny Profane
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
How has Durbin been doing for you? I was kind of sad to see him go. Wasn't the best arm out of the pen, but he was at least solid, which is more than I can say for most of our middle relievers.

He was pretty unhittable in the first half of 08, got used a lot and trended downwards towards the end of the year, and has been mediocre this year. Or I should say inconsistent. Will have easy innings followed by appearances where he can't throw a strike. He's currently on a rehab assignment.

Phillies also might be getting Brett Myers back for the stretch run, miraculously. Throwing a simulated game today. Could be a big boon to the bullpen and possible closer if Lidge doesn't pull his head out of his culo.

Robby P
08-05-2009, 03:07 PM
ERA+
Lincecum - 196
Cain - 191

Cain's results so far this year are in no way sustainable. His peripheral numbers do not in any way support his ridiculously low ERA. A quick comparison of Timmy and Cain's underlying rate stats:

Lincecum: 10.97 K/9, 2.36 BB/9, 0.34 HR/9, .318 BABIP, 1.97 FIP
Cain: 7.11 K/9, 3.28 BB/9, 0.85 HR/9, .257 BABIP, 3.83 FIP

Cain also has an insanely high 87.4% strand rate (percentage of runners on base that fail to score), while the league average is at just 71.8%. As his BABIP and LOB% regress to the mean his ERA will trend back toward his career average.

Which isn't to say that Cain is a bad pitcher but to compare him to either Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson is a bit of a stretch.

Dukefrukem
08-05-2009, 03:16 PM

hahahaha

Bwhahahahaha the Machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0O-wPwsVU)

Robby P
08-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Jesus, the Angels lead the league the scoring. Let me repeat that one more time. The Angels. What the hell is going on here?

soitgoes...
08-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Jesus, the Angels lead the league the scoring. Let me repeat that one more time. The Angels. What the hell is going on here?
Are the Angels supposed to be incapable of such a rare feat?

Benny Profane
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
You would never know by watching ESPN that there was a Red Sox-Yankees series this weekend.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
You would never know by watching ESPN that there was a Red Sox-Yankees series this weekend.

:lol:

Last night was very depressing. That better be Smoltz last start of the seaons.

Robby P
08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Are the Angels supposed to be incapable of such a rare feat?

Well, no, but it was just last season that the team finished 15th in runs scored and now they're suddenly an offensive juggernaut? I definitely didn't see that coming.

Ezee E
08-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Last night was very depressing. That better be Smoltz last start of the seaons.
I'm surprised he is starting to begin with. Who'd take his place?

Benny Profane
08-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Paul Byrd.

Or me.

I could probably do better than Paul Byrd.

Ezee E
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Paul Byrd.

Or me.

I could probably do better than Paul Byrd.
Well, the Phillies continue to use Jamie Moyer. Somehow he creates wins despite having a 5+ ERA.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Who knows. All of our pitching is gone now. We once had 6 quality starters now we have 2. Clay needs to get on his horse. We need Wake back. And Penny needs to get his shit together.

Kurosawa Fan
08-07-2009, 08:11 PM
What team could possibly be stupid enough to put a claim on Alex Rios? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4384253)

soitgoes...
08-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Well, no, but it was just last season that the team finished 15th in runs scored and now they're suddenly an offensive juggernaut? I definitely didn't see that coming.
What is truly strange about it is that it has been done with very little contribution from Vlad. I think the best answer to why this year and not last year is that they have Figgins and Abreu getting on base at a 40% clip at the top of the order. I'm not sure many teams can say they have something comparable to that.

soitgoes...
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
A's release Giambi. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4383844) I wonder if that is the end of him? This season for sure, since he's hurting.

shaun
08-08-2009, 12:39 AM
What team could possibly be stupid enough to put a claim on Alex Rios? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4384253)Wow. Verducci says he didn't clear AL and WEEi reports it wasn't the Red Sox. Chicago maybe?

In any case, if I'm Toronto, I run away screaming 'No backsies, no backsies!".

Kurosawa Fan
08-08-2009, 02:54 AM

Exactly. Don't even attempt to make a trade, just walk away smiling.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Sox lose 6 in a row, swept twice. Is this where I start throwing shit? Or do I wait until we're trailing in the wild card too?

Ezee E
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Sox lose 6 in a row, swept twice. Is this where I start throwing shit? Or do I wait until we're trailing in the wild card too?
The Rangers are right there as well.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
The Rangers are right there as well.

Losing 6 straight? They won yesterday. And they're 5-5 in their last 10. Sox lost 6 straight and are 4-6. Bah!

Kurosawa Fan
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM

The Sox aren't making the playoffs this year. Isn't happening. Not unless they start hitting the ball, which I doubt. Their team OPS is 7th in the AL and dropping by the week.

Kurosawa Fan
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Wow. Verducci says he didn't clear AL and WEEi reports it wasn't the Red Sox. Chicago maybe?

According to a source on ESPN, it was the White Sox. Please let this be true!

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
The Sox aren't making the playoffs this year. Isn't happening. Not unless they start hitting the ball, which I doubt. Their team OPS is 7th in the AL and dropping by the week.

They've been hitting the ball fine up until the All Star break. No idea what happened.

Kurosawa Fan
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
They've been hitting the ball fine up until the All Star break. No idea what happened.

Well a four game set against the Tigers is the perfect cure for what ails them. Even Verlander and Jackson have been on a bad streak.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Well a four game set against the Tigers is the perfect cure for what ails them. Even Verlander and Jackson have been on a bad streak.

I'm going to Thursday's day game. Spent $350 on tickets. :sad:

Kurosawa Fan
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm going to Thursday's day game. Spent $350 on tickets. :sad:

Ha! Didn't realize it was against the Tigers! Well in that case, the price is justified.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Ha! Didn't realize it was against the Tigers! Well in that case, the price is justified.

But Clay is pitching. :frustrated: He pitched well against the yanks, in fact, all of our starters did (except for Smoltz)... we just have no offense like you said.

Kurosawa Fan
08-10-2009, 02:43 PM
But Clay is pitching. :frustrated: He pitched well against the yanks, in fact, all of our starters did (except for Smoltz)... we just have no offense like you said.

Well that stat I quoted wasn't entirely accurate. They're in the top five in the AL in OPS overall (4th), just not in the 7th inning or later. They drop to a tie for eighth, with an OPS of .709.

shaun
08-10-2009, 02:55 PM
But Clay is pitching. :frustrated: He pitched well against the yanks, in fact, all of our starters did (except for Smoltz)... we just have no offense like you said.I was at Saturday's Sabathia v Buchholz game and Clay did look pretty good. Unfortunately C.C. was on even more and apparently the Sox have forgotten how to hit a baseball.

And if it makes you feel better, we paid $250 for 2 seats.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I was at Saturday's Sabathia v Buchholz game and Clay did look pretty good. Unfortunately C.C. was on even more and the apparently Sox have forgotten how to hit a baseball.

And if it makes you feel better, we paid $250 for 2 seats.

Where were your seats?

shaun
08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Where were your seats?Left field mezzanine. Not particularly great seats but it was my first game at the new YS and it's pretty damn nice.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Left field mezzanine. Not particularly great seats but it was my first game at the new YS and it's pretty damn nice.

AND it was Red Sox/Yanks. So that feels worth it.

I'm going to a Red Sox/Tigers game, 6 rows behind the visiting dugout.

Robby P
08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
It is kind of sad that only two of the three best teams in baseball will make the postseason this year. But it does make for one hell of an exciting pennant race, which is how it should be.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
It is kind of sad that only two of the three best teams in baseball will make the postseason this year. But it does make for one hell of an exciting pennant race, which is how it should be.

I was skeptical of the Rays for a while.. would have thought they'd be in first for most of the season. BUt now they're playing like it matters. Which you can't say about the sox.

Benny Profane
08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Losing 6 straight? They won yesterday. And they're 5-5 in their last 10. Sox lost 6 straight and are 4-6. Bah!

Dodgers have lost 10 of 15, Phils have lost 8 of 11, and the Nats have won 8 in a row.

August is opposite month.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Dodgers have lost 10 of 15, Phils have lost 8 of 11, and the Nats have won 8 in a row.

August is opposite month.

:lol: Didn't know that about the Dodgers. I'm hopin they're the NL WS team.

Ezee E
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
:lol: Didn't know that about the Dodgers. I'm hopin they're the NL WS team.
I don't think they'll pull it off. The Phillies will heat up again. the Cardinals are looking great with Holliday, and the Rockies (hope) are a team that is good from top to bottom now. Their bullpen is much better than it was last time they made it to the World Series, and they have an answer for every position if someone goes down, minus Helton/Hawpe.

Benny Profane
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't think they'll pull it off. The Phillies will heat up again. the Cardinals are looking great with Holliday, and the Rockies (hope) are a team that is good from top to bottom now. Their bullpen is much better than it was last time they made it to the World Series, and they have an answer for every position if someone goes down, minus Helton/Hawpe.

Seth Smith has earned a lot more playing time than he is receiving, even against LHPs.

Robby P
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Jason Giambi, Hall of Famer? I would almost certainly vote no but there's no denying that he was one of the best hitters of his generation. His '00-'02 prime years were absolutely ridiculous.

Kurosawa Fan
08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Seth Smith has earned a lot more playing time than he is receiving, even against LHPs.

I picked him up a couple weeks ago, and I'm sick of seeing that he's not in the starting lineup. He's been riding the bench pretty much the entire time.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Jason Giambi, Hall of Famer? I would almost certainly vote no but there's no denying that he was one of the best hitters of his generation. His '00-'02 prime years were absolutely ridiculous.

No way. Plus he juiced. Will never get in.

Ezee E
08-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I picked him up a couple weeks ago, and I'm sick of seeing that he's not in the starting lineup. He's been riding the bench pretty much the entire time.
The guy is incredible in clutch situations. At least whenever I've watched him. A hell of a pinchhitter to have. Plus, CarGo (Carlos Gonzales) has been tearing it up as well. Spilborghs, Fowler, Hawpe, Smith, and Gonzales. Tough to take three.

Robby P
08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
'He juiced' doesn't strike me as the most compelling argument against Giambi. 'He sucked at defense' or 'he played DH' or 'he struggled with injuries' are better justifications for exclusion, in my mind. Things that can be tangibly weighed and measured.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
'He juiced' doesn't strike me as the most compelling argument against Giambi. 'He sucked at defense' or 'he played DH' or 'he struggled with injuries' are better justifications for exclusion, in my mind. Things that can be tangibly weighed and measured.

Really? He juiced during the year he won the MVP doesn't piss you off? Just like Arod?

shaun
08-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Rios to the White Sox for nothing. Good move for Toronto.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4390120

Spinal
08-10-2009, 11:34 PM
No way is Giambi a Hall of Famer. Not even close.

Ezee E
08-11-2009, 12:02 AM
There's far better people to vote for before Jason Giambi.

Ezee E
08-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Strong work Tulo. 7 RBI and a cycle.

De La Rosa. 11 Ks. This guy has been incredible since mid-June, going from 2-7 to 10-8. I knew he had it.

soitgoes...
08-11-2009, 06:29 AM
It's like Vladimir Guerrero is trying to earn a big contract next year. 4 home runs since coming off the DL. I'm curious where he ends up. I don't see the Angels signing him unless he takes a huge pay cut. He's pretty much blocking Napoli from the DH spot, since it's obvious Scioscia is sleeping with Mathis.

Also not signing Teixeira has turned out to be a pretty great move for the Angels. Not that he's a slouch, but Morales is putting up some great numbers while making somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 million less a year.

Dukefrukem
08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
yay sox

Kurosawa Fan
08-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Yay Jackson. :|

Dukefrukem
08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Well you're right. The Tigers were what the Sox need.

shaun
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Mark Buerhle,

You can stop sucking now.

Thanks,
My Fantasy Team.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Youkilis can go fuck himself. Trashy fuck. What a joke. So all you have to do when you're getting your ass kicked right out of the gate is charge the mound to get the other team's SP booted and make their bullpen pitch 8 innings?

I couldn't stand the guy before this incident, and now he can rot in fucking hell. What a fat fucking waste.

shaun
08-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I like how the 20 year old kid threw him to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiUV3xNlOI&

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 03:49 AM

haha

soitgoes...
08-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Were there warnings issued before Youklis charging? I don't understand the logic of throwing a pitcher out of a game for having a player charge him. If warnings were made then yes.

Tomorrow's game will be interesting since I'm sure warnings will be issued at the get go.

MadMan
08-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Mark Buerhle,

You can stop sucking now.

Thanks,
My Fantasy Team.Yep. And in my main league he's quite possibly the best pitcher I have. That team has a losing record, btw :|

Fuck the Cubs. I'm tired of this shit. Just keep pissing away any playoff hopes, you stupid wankers. Apathy has officially set in.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Two in a row against the Tigs. Keep it up boys.

Benny Profane
08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
So all you have to do when you're getting your ass kicked right out of the gate is charge the mound to get the other team's SP booted and make their bullpen pitch 8 innings?

Now there's a model strategy.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
So what did everyone think of the brawl at Fenway last night?

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Read.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Youkilis can go fuck himself. Trashy fuck. What a joke. So all you have to do when you're getting your ass kicked right out of the gate is charge the mound to get the other team's SP booted and make their bullpen pitch 8 innings?

I couldn't stand the guy before this incident, and now he can rot in fucking hell. What a fat fucking waste.

I'd expect more from you.

It's called momentum. Happens almost every time someone charges the mound.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd expect more from you.

Admittedly I let my frustrations get the better of me, but Boston was the first team to hit someone last night (Cabrera, our best player, on the hand, and he had to leave the game), so when Porcello fires back Youkilis decides to charge? When he got hit in the middle of his back? Hell, Youkilis' own teammates can barely stand him, so I stand by what I said. Never have liked the guy, and like him even less now.

It's called momentum. Happens almost every time someone charges the mound.

If you don't throw your helmet at the guy and try to give him a bear hug and instead throw your fists at his face, it doesn't happen. Why are you running out there in the first place? Maybe Youkilis needs a lesson in how two men actually fight. Holding each other and rolling around on the groud ain't it.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Admittedly I let my frustrations get the better of me, but Boston was the first team to hit someone last night (Cabrera, our best player, on the hand, and he had to leave the game), so when Porcello fires back Youkilis decides to charge? When he got hit in the middle of his back? Hell, Youkilis' own teammates can barely stand him, so I stand by what I said. Never have liked the guy, and like him even less now.

There are very few players in the MLB that "I hate", but hating Youkilis for wearing his emotions on his sleeve shouldn't be a reason to hate him. That seems to be the only thing I can think of why you would hate him. He's one of the few players in the MLB that act this way. Most just hang their heads and walk away like mundane tools. DJ Drew is one of them.

He's been hit 4 times in the past week, twice by Tiger pitching. After watching the reply multiple times, I do not think he was hit on purpose based on the pitchers reaction, However I DO see justification in Youk's actions. That said, he did say that he wish he hadn't done it, not because of the suspension that he'll surely get, but because of the way it looks with young kids, and he let his frustration get the best of him. I on the other hand am glad he did it, because it brought in Lowell who hit two dingers to win the game for us.

If you don't throw your helmet at the guy and try to give him a bear hug and instead throw your fists at his face, it doesn't happen. Why are you running out there in the first place? Maybe Youkilis needs a lesson in how two men actually fight. Holding each other and rolling around on the groud ain't it.

I'm glad he didn't throw punches. The suspension would have been longer. It not like he feelings of hate towards the pitcher. He was just frustrated based on what I wrote above. I want players on my team who care as much as Youk. It allows us as fans to hate him less when they fail. Stupid to say? Why do you think we hate JD Drew so much. Show some emotion when you ground into a 6-4-3!!!!!!!!

edit: and your pitcher got hit int he hands! How is that comparable to being drilled in the back?

shaun
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Any "brawl" that involves 0 thrown punches and benches clearing only to help each other off the ground is pretty weak in my book.

Also, throwing the helmet will (or should) garner just as big a suspension as if Youkilis threw a fist.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Any "brawl" that involves 0 thrown punches and benches clearing only to help each other off the ground is pretty weak in my book.

Also, throwing the helmet will (or should) garner just as big a suspension as if Youkilis threw a fist.

Changing the mound alone will bring up a suspension.

shaun
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Changing the mound alone will bring up a suspension.Well yeah, but you said you were glad he didn't throw punches because the suspension would have been longer. I'm saying the suspension will probably be just as long as if he'd thrown a punch because of the helmet.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Well yeah, but you said you were glad he didn't throw punches because the suspension would have been longer. I'm saying the suspension will probably be just as long as if he'd thrown a punch because of the helmet.

Oh I see. Hmmm. Didn't think of that. I'm guessing a 3 game suspension. I've seen much more for charging the mound.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Either way, Youkilis gone for three games at this point of the season could be huge for the Red Soz. Their lineup is stacked enough to where they're considering putting him in Left Field, but without his bat in the lineup, one will have to wonder if that will hurt them in the end.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Either way, Youkilis gone for three games at this point of the season could be huge for the Red Soz. Their lineup is stacked enough to where they're considering putting him in Left Field, but without his bat in the lineup, one will have to wonder if that will hurt them in the end.

Lowell hit two HRs last night when replacing Youk. Now that our offensive is back on track, I think we will be fine. BUt you're right, we need him in there asap.

Robby P
08-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Well, so much for the Giants getting back into the division race. Thankfully, nobody seems to want to win the Wild Card all that badly.

shaun
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Pedro makes his debut tonight versus the Cubs. He's toast, but so is Moyer I guess. Excited, Benny?

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Pedro makes his debut tonight versus the Cubs. He's toast, but so is Moyer I guess. Excited, Benny?

I'm excited for his start. I picked him up on my fantasy. He's had a ton of rest. We'll see. 5 innings of shut out ball would do.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, so much for the Giants getting back into the division race. Thankfully, nobody seems to want to win the Wild Card all that badly.
There's five teams within three games of each other for the Wild Card. What?

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
There's five teams within three games of each other for the Wild Card. What?

It's always like that in the NL.

Benny Profane
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Intrigued, more than excited.

Though watching ANYONE other than Moyer stink it up every 5th day is somewhat exciting.

Personally, I would like them to experiment with Pedro as a closer, seeing as how Lidge is the worst pitcher in baseball right now. A month and a half would be ample time for him to acclimate to the role.

Assuming they make the playoffs, he'd be in the pen anyway, so might as well start him there right now. That's my take.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
It's always like that in the NL.
I mean as far as nobody caring about the Wild Card in the NL.

The Rockies stumbled yesterday, but Cook had to sit out a game, and they let a rookie have his first ever start. Chacin should remain a relief pitcher for rest of the year. He's got some good stuff, but only in proper situations.

I found out that Seth Smith has 17 of his 31 RBIs in the 7th inning or later. Like I said, CLUTCH. He'll probably get a few more starts since Fowler is hurt.

Jeff Francis is throwing again. He can wait until next season as far as I care.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Intrigued, more than excited.

Though watching ANYONE other than Moyer stink it up every 5th day is somewhat exciting.

Personally, I would like them to experiment with Pedro as a closer, seeing as how Lidge is the worst pitcher in baseball right now. A month and a half would be ample time for him to acclimate to the role.

Assuming they make the playoffs, he'd be in the pen anyway, so might as well start him there right now. That's my take.

I actually like the sound of Pedro in the pen. I know he's not vintage anymore, but he could be extremely useful.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I mean as far as nobody caring about the Wild Card in the NL.

The Rockies stumbled yesterday, but Cook had to sit out a game, and they let a rookie have his first ever start. Chacin should remain a relief pitcher for rest of the year. He's got some good stuff, but only in proper situations.

I found out that Seth Smith has 17 of his 31 RBIs in the 7th inning or later. Like I said, CLUTCH. He'll probably get a few more starts since Fowler is hurt.

Jeff Francis is throwing again. He can wait until next season as far as I care.

I forget your team of choice EzeeE. refresh my memory plz.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I forget your team of choice EzeeE. refresh my memory plz.
The Bears.

Robby P
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
My poorly worded point was that Wild Card at least remains attainable for the Giants because there is no clear favorite at the moment, where as the division race is most likely out of their reach at this point.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
My poorly worded point was that Wild Card at least remains attainable for the Giants because there is no clear favorite at the moment, where as the division race is most likely out of their reach at this point.
Ah okay. I think the Dodgers have claimed the division spot for some time now.

As for the Giants, I just don't think they have the offense to make it to the playoffs this year. I've seen three of their games this year against the Rockies, one of which they won, and outside of Pablo, there aren't any consistent hitters (only two players have over 10 HRs). Their baserunning is even worse.

If the Rockies don't make it, I'd see the Braves, Marlins, or Cubs catching up then.

Benny Profane
08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Speaking of the Cubs, is Lou Piniella a retard?

7th inning, Marmol pitching, Grabow warming up, Utley just walked to load the bases, Howard at the plate, hitting a whopping .170 against LHPs, Piniella leaves Marmol in, who walks him on 4 pitches, gets taken out, Grabow comes in to face Ibanez, and strikes him out on 3 pitches. Why wasn't Grabow in to face Howard?

I ask you again, is Piniella retarded? This is a guy who is widely considered a smart manager, which only reinforces my opinion that there is no such thing as a good manager.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I ask you again, is Piniella retarded? This is a guy who is widely considered a smart manager, which only reinforces my opinion that there is no such thing as a good manager.

Jim Tracy sure seems to know what he's doing with these different lineup cards every night, and using 5-6 pitchers a night. Many of those pitchers only pitch 0.1, 0.2 innings.

It's something I've never really seen in Season Baseball.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Listen to this interview (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/12/sox_show_some_fight/?page=2). Let me know your thoughts.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Listen to this interview (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/12/sox_show_some_fight/?page=2). Let me know your thoughts.

He spends almost that entire interview defending his decision, and says enough is enough. He also keeps saying he can't keep getting "hit up there", but it was clearly the middle of his back. And he's completely omitting the fact that Tazawa hit Cabrera in the first inning. And the hand is a much worse spot than the middle of the back. There's no padding on the hand.

Great, it's not good for kids to see, but in the same breath he says "I have to do what I have to do". Meaning he doesn't feel contrite about any of it. Which is fine, he charged the mound, guys do it. Whatever. But when your own team started it, don't act like the Tigers have been headhunting and your safety was endangered. Just say I was pissed off and wanted to beat the shit out of him. Only he can't say that because he got tossed around like a bitch.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 05:26 PM
He spends almost that entire interview defending his decision, and says enough is enough. He also keeps saying he can't keep getting "hit up there", but it was clearly the middle of his back. And he's completely omitting the fact that Tazawa hit Cabrera in the first inning. And the hand is a much worse spot than the middle of the back. There's no padding on the hand.

Great, it's not good for kids to see, but in the same breath he says "I have to do what I have to do". Meaning he doesn't feel contrite about any of it. Which is fine, he charged the mound, guys do it. Whatever. But when your own team started it, don't act like the Tigers have been headhunting and your safety was endangered. Just say I was pissed off and wanted to beat the shit out of him. Only he can't say that because he got tossed around like a bitch.

Of course he's going to say all of that. 1) he still thinks it was intentional. and 2) he's not gonna back down from his own decision and look like a bitch. I wanted you to see the compassion here but you're clearly already biased against him. 4 times in the past week and twice in the past two nights. It's a combination of frustration and poor judgment. Nothing more and nothing less. We didn't start shit. Getting hit on the fucking fingers isn't starting anything. It's not the Red Sox fault he almost swung into the pitch. :rolleyes: No one said anything about headhunting. He got drilled in the back.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Of course he's going to say all of that. 1) he still thinks it was intentional. and 2) he's not gonna back down from his own decision and look like a bitch. I wanted you to see the compassion here but you're clearly already biased against him. 4 times in the past week and twice in the past two nights. It's a combination of frustration and poor judgment. Nothing more and nothing less. We didn't start shit. Getting hit on the fucking fingers isn't starting anything. It's not the Red Sox fault he almost swung into the pitch. :rolleyes: No one said anything about headhunting. He got drilled in the back.

Barry Bonds was passionate. Doesn't make him any less of a twat. Youkilis has been slapped by his own teammate for being a selfish dick. Far as I'm concerned, it was appropriate. I don't like him and I never will.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Barry Bonds was passionate. Doesn't make him any less of a twat. Youkilis has been slapped by his own teammate for being a selfish dick. Far as I'm concerned, it was appropriate. I don't like him and I never will.

There were many more reasons why Bonds was a tool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUvja3r9sk)

Why do you keep brining up Manny and Youk. This is Manny we're talking about now. He'd shit in a glove in the dugout if he wanted to.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 05:36 PM
There were many more reasons why Bonds was a tool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUvja3r9sk)

Why do you keep brining up Manny and Youk. This is Manny we're talking about now. He'd shit in a glove in the dugout if he wanted to.

Duke, you're biased, I'm biased. Neither of us is changing his opinion. Let's just let it go.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Duke, you're biased, I'm biased. Neither of us is changing his opinion. Let's just let it go.

Let what go? I just want to hear the real reasons why you've hated Youk. You haven't given me anything other than the Manny innocent which is a wash because it involves Manny. No one liked Manny. He was called a cancer!

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Let what go? I just want to hear the real reasons why you've hated Youk. You haven't given me anything other than the Manny innocent which is a wash because it involves Manny. No one liked Manny. He was called a cancer!

Because I'm sick of seeing him throw a temper tantrum like a little kids. It's great to show emotion, but there's a time for it. When you're up 9-0 in the 7th and you ground into a double play, throwing your helmet and cursing looks ridiculous. Sure Drew is the opposite, but there's plenty of room in the middle of that spectrum. Every time you strike out I don't need to see you curse and wail like an 8-year-old to know you're passionate. It's annoying, he's annoying, and this incident only lowered my already low respect for the guy.

That's my last post on the subject. I don't expect you to agree with me Duke. You're blind to any criticism against the Sox and their players. That's fine.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Because I'm sick of seeing him throw a temper tantrum like a little kids. It's great to show emotion, but there's a time for it. When you're up 9-0 in the 7th and you ground into a double play, throwing your helmet and cursing looks ridiculous. Sure Drew is the opposite, but there's plenty of room in the middle of that spectrum. Every time you strike out I don't need to see you curse and wail like an 8-year-old to know you're passionate. It's annoying, he's annoying, and this incident only lowered my already low respect for the guy.

That's my last post on the subject. I don't expect you to agree with me Duke. You're blind to any criticism against the Sox and their players. That's fine.

I'm not blind. I can see the hate for Manny. Totally understandbale. Ortiz too. But hating Youk for wanting success and playing hard is retarded. So what he yells. So what he throws his helmet. He wants to do well. I'd rather a guy like that than someone who shows NOTHING.

After losing Manny, Youk is the only real source of entertainment on the club. He's the one thing separating the Sox from every other boring team out in the MLB. I miss Millar. I miss Manny. And if Youks gone, I'm tearing my eyes out. The same cookie cutter players with the exception of Ellsbury, Pap and Pedroia.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Just because you said it was your last post on the topic doesn't mean it really has to be your last post.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Just because you said it was your last post on the topic doesn't mean it really has to be your last post.

Well, it was. I understand why you like him. He's your guy. I already expressed that he's more desirable than a J.D. Drew. But I've also stated that there's more room on the spectrum. Millar was fun. Manny was fun. I like both of those guys. Youk isn't fun. He's a baby and he's annoying. You aren't going to change my mind on this.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Well, it was. I understand why you like him. He's your guy. I already expressed that he's more desirable than a J.D. Drew. But I've also stated that there's more room on the spectrum. Millar was fun. Manny was fun. I like both of those guys. Youk isn't fun. He's a baby and he's annoying. You aren't going to change my mind on this.

Fine I can't convince you to see it my way. BUT, Manny vs Youk. How can you give Manny a free pass and see Youk as annoying? Mind you, it was Manny that attacked Youk. Isn't Manny the 7 year old trapped in a 30 year olds body? Why couldn't he keep things professional instead of resorting to physical violence???

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Fine I can't convince you to see it my way. BUT, Manny vs Youk. How can you give Manny a free pass and see Youk as annoying? Mind you, it was Manny that attacked Youk. Isn't Manny the 7 year old trapped in a 30 year olds body? Why couldn't he keep things professional instead of resorting to physical violence???

I've never punched anyone in my life, but if I were stuck with Youk for an entire season even I'd probably throw one at him. I can sympathize with Manny.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I've never punched anyone in my life, but if I were stuck with Youk for an entire season even I'd probably throw one at him. I can sympathize with Manny.

That's not an answer to my question.

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
That's not an answer to my question.

I know. I was joking. I don't give Manny a pass, but like I said, Manny is fun. He looks like he enjoys himself on the field, and while some of his antics are tiresome, the charm goes a long way to erasing that. Youk lacks any appeal or charm as far as I'm concerned.

Ezee E
08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I would gladly take Manny and Youk on my team.

Millar, nah.

Spilborghs is the most vocal Rockies player, which doesn't say much.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I know. I was joking. I don't give Manny a pass, but like I said, Manny is fun. He looks like he enjoys himself on the field, and while some of his antics are tiresome, the charm goes a long way to erasing that. Youk lacks any appeal or charm as far as I'm concerned.

K.

I would gladly take Manny and Youk on my team.

Millar, nah.

Spilborghs is the most vocal Rockies player, which doesn't say much.

2003 Cowboy Up Millar? Yes please.

2004 Idiots Millar? Ummm sure.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow... they BOTH got 5 games (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/12/youkilis_porcello_suspended_5_ games_each/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Baseball+News).

Kurosawa Fan
08-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow... they BOTH got 5 games (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/12/youkilis_porcello_suspended_5_ games_each/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Baseball+News).

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

shaun
08-12-2009, 09:11 PM
About right. Youk deserves 5 games and pitcher suspensions always tend to run long otherwise they wouldn't even miss a start. Porcello will miss 1 game.

Dukefrukem
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
About right. Youk deserves 5 games and pitcher suspensions always tend to run long otherwise they wouldn't even miss a start. Porcello will miss 1 game.

After Youk's appeal I bet it goes down to 3.

MadMan
08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Speaking of the Cubs, is Lou Piniella a retard?

7th inning, Marmol pitching, Grabow warming up, Utley just walked to load the bases, Howard at the plate, hitting a whopping .170 against LHPs, Piniella leaves Marmol in, who walks him on 4 pitches, gets taken out, Grabow comes in to face Ibanez, and strikes him out on 3 pitches. Why wasn't Grabow in to face Howard?

I ask you again, is Piniella retarded? This is a guy who is widely considered a smart manager, which only reinforces my opinion that there is no such thing as a good manager.For starters, even good managers make mistakes. I'm starting to wonder if it even matters which RP gets sent out because the Cubs bullpen is shitty right now. Gregg can go walk into traffic for all I care. Ironically enough, Grabow should be used more, so yes I agree with you that it was a stupid move on Lou's part. Marmol has control issues, and

And from what I heard about Marmol from my friend, is that he threw at least two strikes that got called as balls instead :| Not that it matters, anyways, because Harden allowed the Phillies to tie it up and Gregg blew the game, like he's been doing alot lately. When the fuck is Lou going to dump this turkey? Marmol can't be any worse, and Grabow's probably more solid.

Seems that the apathy mode didn't last long enough.

soitgoes...
08-12-2009, 11:02 PM

I was skeptical of the Rays for a while.. would have thought they'd be in first for most of the season. BUt now they're playing like it matters. Which you can't say about the sox.
What a difference a few days make.

Benny Profane
08-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Cubs LMFAO.

shaun
08-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Cubs LMFAO.I think Moyer might have had this one in hand.

Benny Profane
08-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Cubs fan dumped a beer on Victorino as he was making a catch in center.

If a Phils fan dumped a beer on Fukudome ESPN would be running with it for a year.

MadMan
08-13-2009, 04:06 AM

If a Phils fan dumped a beer on Fukudome ESPN would be running with it for a year.You guys want to know something interesting: I actually hate most Cubs fans. I don't disagree with that list created a few years back that had the Cubs "nation" (God I hate that fucking term, its lame as hell) in the Top 5 for worst fanbases in the nation.

And yeah that act was really classy; what a goddamn douchebag. I've always liked Victorino, and I had him on my fantasy team last season if I remember right.

Well the season's over. Great. There's no curse, just the continuing streak of suck.

Ezee E
08-13-2009, 04:12 AM
Strong work Ubaldo.

MadMan
08-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Strong work Ubaldo.With these past two games, he's notched a spot in my rotation. The only thing I'm wary about the walks (he sometimes issues too many, like tonight), and the ERA, but had he received the run support he's getting now in the first half of the season his win total would be higher. If anything I'd say the Rockies rotation is pretty solid this year.

Ivan Drago
08-13-2009, 06:36 AM
You guys want to know something interesting: I actually hate most Cubs fans. I don't disagree with that list created a few years back that had the Cubs "nation" (God I hate that fucking term, its lame as hell) in the Top 5 for worst fanbases in the nation.

From my experiences, people tend to take baseball really, really seriously. Not just Cubs fans either - my hometown and college town is in what they call "Cardinal Country" and every Cardinals fan I've come to know has been a douchebag about it - rubbing in every Cubs loss in my face, playing the song spoofing "Go Cubs Go" on their phones whenever necessary, and gloating about every victory. Football season isn't as maddening as this, and during that time I put up with Bears fans. They're unrealistic (e.g. "They're gonna draft Colt Brennan!"), but at least they don't make fun of me for every time my team loses.

Ezee E
08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
With these past two games, he's notched a spot in my rotation. The only thing I'm wary about the walks (he sometimes issues too many, like tonight), and the ERA, but had he received the run support he's getting now in the first half of the season his win total would be higher. If anything I'd say the Rockies rotation is pretty solid this year.
Hell, Jason Hammel hasn't even been all that bad. He's not going to throw a shutout, but he's probably the best 5th that the Rockies have used.

shaun
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Yep. And in my main league he's quite possibly the best pitcher I have. That team has a losing record, btw :|At 9:45pm, I flinched and took him out of the starting lineup because he sucks on the road, my pitching has been getting killed lately, and I'm only 2 points out of 1st. Naturally he throws 8 scoreless. FUUUuuuuu Buerhle.

Kurosawa Fan
08-13-2009, 03:48 PM

If a Phils fan dumped a beer on Fukudome ESPN would be running with it for a year.

To be fair, they've been ripping Cubs fans pretty hard on ESPNRadio. Cowherd has been ragging on them every hour (well, drunk loser fans in general).

shaun
08-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Deadspin gets a high quality image of the beer thrower. You can tell he's a douchebag because of the sunglasses.

http://deadspin.com/5336293/stay-classy-cubs-fans

Kurosawa Fan
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Deadspin gets a high quality image of the beer thrower. You can tell he's a douchebag because of the sunglasses.

http://deadspin.com/5336293/stay-classy-cubs-fans

Absolutely. White sunglasses are one of the first signs of douchery.

Kurosawa Fan
08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
No need for the hi-res, he turned himself in and was interviewed by WGN (http://deadspin.com/5337028/mob-justice-prevails-again-update-3).

Video of the interview is at the bottom of the page.

Kurosawa Fan
08-15-2009, 02:16 AM
My son went to the Tigers game tonight with a friend. His favorite player is Brandon Inge, and Inge hit a walk-off homer tonight to give the Tigers a 1-0 victory. I would have loved to be there to see his reaction. While I was watching it on TV, I actually muttered under my breath when Inge was stepping up to the plate, "C'mon Inge, hit one out for Dylan." It was awesome. My wife and I were jumping up and down. We recorded it for him too.

Ivan Drago
08-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Absolutely. White sunglasses are one of the first signs of douchery.

Yeah, so are those damn flat-billed caps worn backwards. That's another sign.

Just throwing that out there.

Ezee E
08-15-2009, 07:46 AM
My dog must've done me a favor when he ate my white sunglasses (given as a gift by the way).

Dukefrukem
08-16-2009, 09:52 PM
now sox trail in the wild card... sweet.

soitgoes...
08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
The Angels just scored 9 times in the top of the 13th inning. I wonder what the record for most runs scored in an extra inning is?

shaun
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
UPDATE, 8:45 p.m.: It hurts just to write this. But Seattle 3B Adrian Beltre could be done for the season after taking a bad-hop grounder in the groin last night. It caused tearing in one of his testicles along with internal bleeding and he could require surgery. Beltre does not use a cup.I got nothin'.

soitgoes...
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
UPDATE, 8:45 p.m.: It hurts just to write this. But Seattle 3B Adrian Beltre could be done for the season after taking a bad-hop grounder in the groin last night. It caused tearing in one of his testicles along with internal bleeding and he could require surgery. Beltre does not use a cup.

I got nothin'.
Two quick thoughts:

1. He's an idiot.
2. I bet he will never make that mistake again.

Spinal
08-17-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm shocked that it's legal for a MLB player to go out onto the field without a cup.

soitgoes...
08-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm shocked that it's legal for a MLB player to go out onto the field without a cup.
Well I can understand if you're an outfielder (I actually think a cup would do more harm than good what with the diving and landing on it and such), but any infield position I feel the risk is waaaaaaaayyyyyy too great. Beltre is proof of that.

Robby P
08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Neftali Feliz is putting up Nintendo numbers for the Rangers since getting called up: 8 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 HR, 0 BB, 16 K. Oh yeah, and his average fastball velocity is 98 MPH.

Hopefully Ron Washington does the right thing and sticks the kid into the rotation within the next week or two. He's certainly earned it.

shaun
08-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Hopefully Ron Washington does the right thing and sticks the kid into the rotation within the next week or two. He's certainly earned it.Definitely a fun to watch Joba Chamberlain type.

I don't think he fits into the rotation just yet though. The only Ranger SP slightly underperforming at the moment is Derek Holland and he's their prize pitching prospect at 22. You can't yank him at this point and hurt his confidence, especially since he's not really killing the team.

Benny Profane
08-17-2009, 05:07 PM
VERY surprised more is not being made about Strasberg not signing with the Nats. I believe midnight is the deadline.

shaun
08-17-2009, 05:28 PM
VERY surprised more is not being made about Strasberg not signing with the Nats. I believe midnight is the deadline.100% standard Boras move. He represents the top 3 picks and none of them have signed yet. It'll be like Pedro Alvarez last year agreeing to terms at like 11:58pm.

Ezee E
08-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I guess baseball's draft needs even more work than football.

shaun
08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
In the NFL you can be the highest paid player in the history of your position without ever playing a snap. That's ludicrous. Baseball is still relatively sane aside from certain top talents dropping a few slots based on signability. The Reds just signed the #8 pick for $2.6m, pretty cheap for a highly regarded college pitcher.

The position is such a crapshoot that it makes no sense to give Strasburg what Boras is asking for. I'd offer to beat Prior's record deal just for his ego, maybe a ML contract and a $15m bonus, and I'd be fine with getting the #2 pick as compensation next year if he doesn't accept.

If you take a larger sample size, the evidence is even more conclusive. Since '65, 102 pitchers have been taken within the first five picks. Not one is going to the Hall of Fame. None is close. Only one won more than 200 games (Kevin Brown). Rounding out the top five -- Dwight Gooden (194 wins), Bill Gullickson, Mike Moore and Andy Benes. The only reliever of note: ex-Oriole Gregg Olson. Josh Beckett (89-62) may end up high on the list eventually

MadMan
08-18-2009, 05:12 AM
Kevin Gregg should have lost his closing job a long, long time ago. The fact that Lou has stuck with him is utterly insane. Sure the bullpen isn't good, but Marmol woudl be an upgrade, and Garbow couldn't do any worse. Gregg has lost the Cubs way too many games this season, and the day when he's ridden out of town on a rail will make me very, very happy.

PS: Straight for Sweet Lou's mouth:

“I think we are going to make some changes as far as what we’re going to do late innings,” said manager Lou Piniella, who added that he’d say more on the subject on Tuesday. “We’ll see what we do. I’m going to think about it tonight.”

He damn well better.

The Mike
08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
100% standard Boras move. He represents the top 3 picks and none of them have signed yet. It'll be like Pedro Alvarez last year agreeing to terms at like 11:58pm.

Good call.

Dukefrukem
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
So can we expect the Sox offensive to take a nap duringRoy Halladay's start today? So pretty much we're gonna be 1.5 games back in the WC and 8.5 back in the division. Awesome.

Benny Profane
08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Pet Peeve: Using the word "we" when talking about your favorite sports team. God I hate that. You are not a member of the organization. You are a fan.

Kurosawa Fan
08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Pet Peeve: Using the word "we" when talking about your favorite sports team. God I hate that. You are not a member of the organization. You are a fan.

I don't like it either, but I'm guilty of doing it at times. Not sure why, it just kind of comes out that way.

Dukefrukem
08-18-2009, 03:06 PM

And I hate people who complain about this. I'm a member of Red Sox Nation. Red Sox Nation is apart of the Red Sox. Therefore "we" is the appropriate pronoun to use.

Robby P
08-18-2009, 03:15 PM
In an age of publicly funded stadiums and exorbitantly priced playoff tickets, I'm willing to give fans a little more leeway when they start referring to themselves as members of the organization.

Benny Profane
08-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm a member of Red Sox Nation.

Congratulations, but you still don't belong to the team, hence you should refer to the Red Sox as "they" and not "we."

Dukefrukem
08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Congratulations, but you still don't belong to the team, hence you should refer to the Red Sox as "they" and not "we."

Did you read the rest of my post?

Benny Profane
08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Did you read the rest of my post?

Yes, Red Sox Nation is not part of the Red Sox organization. Red Sox Nation is a lame way of saying I am a super duper awesome fan of the Red Sox!!!!!

Dukefrukem
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes, Red Sox Nation is not part of the Red Sox organization. Red Sox Nation is a lame way of saying I am a super duper awesome fan of the Red Sox!!!!!

You make fun... but if you ever watch a Red Sox game in your life, listen to how many fans we have in, Texas, Washington, Baltimore, Florida, Atlanta, and LAA. I'd be embarrassed if I were at home games in any of these cities. Red Sox NATION is exactly that. We're across the Nation. Love it or hate it.

shaun
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm with KF. I say it at times and I have no real justification for doing so.

I think it comes our more when talking with a fan of a different team. Using "they" seems inappropriate because it could refer to either team. "We" indicates which one you're talking about. Of course it makes no sense when you're talking with a fellow fan. Eh. I guess it doesn't really annoy me that much.

Benny Profane
08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
You make fun... but if you ever watch a Red Sox game in your life, listen to how many fans we have in, Texas, Washington, Baltimore, Florida, Atlanta, and LAA. I'd be embarrassed if I were at home games in any of these cities. Red Sox NATION is exactly that. We're across the Nation. Love it or hate it.

Hey that's great. Still not part of the team.

Benny Profane
08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
exorbitantly priced playoff tickets

I believe playoff ticket prices are established by the MLB office, not the individual teams, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dukefrukem
08-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey that's great. Still not part of the team.

http://www.notebookforums.com/images/smilies/closedeyes.gif

Don't need to be.

Dukefrukem
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Good win last night for US. Now WE need to take out Roy tonight. Gonna be tough.

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Huston Street made things a little too interesting yesterday by letting Nyjer Morgan on 3rd and Zimmerman up to bat. But he came through again. Tied for the lead in saves now.

Who also hit a HR yesterday? CarGo.

Looks like the Rockies may have gotten the better end of that deal.

I backtracked to see if I write "we" or not. I apparently do not, but I have caught myself in person saying it.

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Did not know this until now, but CarGo is #2 in the league for batting average after the All-Star Break. #1? Matt Holliday.

Street has also converted 22 straight saves.

shaun
08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Sabathia is once again looking dominant in the 2nd half of the season. If he could ever keep it going through the post-season, I think the Yankees are going to be tough to beat.

On a side note, F Matt Cain for nearly killing David Wright. Not because I'm a Mets fan mind you, but I'm currently tied for 1st in my money league and with Wright probably out for the year, I need to fill in with either a platooning Carlos Guillen or scrub-of-the-week types like Clint Barmes and Chase Headley. I'm so screwed.

Benny Profane
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Sabathia is once again looking dominant in the 2nd half of the season. If he could ever keep it going through the post-season, I think the Yankees are going to be tough to beat.

On a side note, F Matt Cain for nearly killing David Wright. Not because I'm a Mets fan mind you, but I'm currently tied for 1st in my money league and with Wright probably out for the year, I need to fill in with either a platooning Carlos Guillen or scrub-of-the-week types like Clint Barmes and Chase Headley. I'm so screwed.

You can do worse than Headley. Since the ASB his OBP is .410 and he also hits a lot of doubles, if those count in your league.

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Headley is batting cleanup behind Adrian Gonzalez for what it's worth. I think the guy has some legit talent that we haven't seen yet.

Kurosawa Fan
08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Guillen has been doing great the last week. If he keeps it up he'd be a solid replacement.

shaun
08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Guillen has been doing great the last week. If he keeps it up he'd be a solid replacement.Yeah, but he's not allowed to face LHP and with the Huff trade, he could be getting even less ABs. What's amazing to me is that Inge is not only still getting ABs, but he's still owned in 89% of Yahoo leagues. His OPS+ since the ASB is a Womackian 40.

Good calls on Headley. I like his 2nd half stats and he's young enough to indicate that it could be a trend rather than a streak. I'm going with him.

Kurosawa Fan
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah, but he's not allowed to face LHP and with the Huff trade, he could be getting even less ABs. What's amazing to me is that Inge is not only still getting ABs, but he's still owned in 89% of Yahoo leagues. His OPS+ since the ASB is 40.

I don't get it either. I try not to rag on him too hard because my son loves him, but he's awful. He's the same Inge he's always been. I knew the first half of this year was an anomaly, but his post ASB numbers are just pathetic. Guillen can't play in the field on a regular basis because his shoulder is too big a liability, and no one else on the roster is capable of playing third (evidenced by Raburn's two errors in the 10th inning Sunday that cost Detroit the game), so Inge is it for now.

Kurosawa Fan
08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
You know what's really sad? Three of the top five salaries on the Tigers go to Magglio (18.9m), Bonderman (12.5m), and Dontrelle (10m). Salaries 7 and 8 are Robertson and Inge (7m & 6.3m). Robertson, Bonderman and Dontrelle don't play. Mags and Inge don't play well. So basically of the top 8 salaries, five of them are relatively useless players.

This is just depressing. I need to stop looking at this.

shaun
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
They're also paying $13.6m of Sheffield's $14m salary this year.

Kurosawa Fan
08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
They're also paying $13.6m of Sheffield's $14m salary this year.

Thanks. I'm a big fan of salt.

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks. I'm a big fan of salt.
At least they'll have a playoff appearance? That will bring the city of Detroit back to its feet?

Kurosawa Fan
08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
At least they'll have a playoff appearance? That will bring the city of Detroit back to its feet?

Don't count on it. Their last thirteen of their last sixteen games are against the White Sox and Twins. They're also known in the last four seasons for ending on a whimper (even the year they went to the WS; they lost the division in the last week). I'm hoping they will, and I think their only competition is the White Sox, but they don't have a shot at the Wild Card, so if Chicago can come back (only three games back right now) and take the division, we're screwed.

Benny Profane
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Don't count on it. Their last thirteen of their last sixteen games are against the White Sox and Twins. They're also known in the last four seasons for ending on a whimper (even the year they went to the WS; they lost the division in the last week). I'm hoping they will, and I think their only competition is the White Sox, but they don't have a shot at the Wild Card, so if Chicago can come back (only three games back right now) and take the division, we're screwed.

Flag on the play.

Benny Profane
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
That was a joke, btw.

Kurosawa Fan
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Flag on the play.

At least I didn't capitalize and bold it though, right? Am I at least in field goal range?

Dukefrukem
08-19-2009, 06:30 PM

At least I didn't capitalize and bold it though, right? Am I at least in field goal range?

:rolleyes:

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 06:36 PM
The White Sox are a frustrating team to watch. You never know what you get with this year's team.

Ivan Drago
08-19-2009, 06:40 PM
:rolleyes:

Uhhhh...why do you have two ratings for 30 Days of Night?

Watashi
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
So, Joe Mauer is pretty much a lock for MVP, right?

shaun
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
So, Joe Mauer is pretty much a lock for MVP, right?I would hope so but I think Teixeira and Morneau pull a significant amount of votes as well.

Edit: To say that I think Mauer should be as big a no-brainer as Pujols. I just think certain writers who vote are idiots and will take the "but he didn't has as many HR or RBI" approach.

Dukefrukem
08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Uhhhh...why do you have two ratings for 30 Days of Night?

isn't it obvious? My personal rating. And the real rating.

Ivan Drago
08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
isn't it obvious? My personal rating. And the real rating.

But the real rating is your rating....fuck it, off to the Rating Scale Discussion Thread.

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Mauer even missed some time at the beginning of the year. This shouldn't even be debated, he's clearly MVP.

shaun
08-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, and just in case anyone isn't paying attention, the last player to hit over .380 and more than 25HRs was Ted Williams. And Mauer is a catcher. And he's only 26.

soitgoes...
08-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Mauer should win it, but I don't think it's clear cut. Minnesota is under .500 and they have two other players in that lineup that are putting up great (albeit not Mauer great) numbers. The fact that all his competition for the award is coming from first basemen is definitely going to push him over the top though.

Robby P
08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I know Zack Greinke plays for the Royals and all but he's been pretty damn good, too. According to Fangraphs' Wins Above Replacement calculations, he's been the most valuable player in the American League so far.

Ezee E
08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I know Zack Greinke plays for the Royals and all but he's been pretty damn good, too. According to Fangraphs' Wins Above Replacement calculations, he's been the most valuable player in the American League so far.
That's why he'll get Cy Young. Maybe.

Benny Profane
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Cliff Lee has been OK since joining the Phils, but I'd like to see him get that WHIP under .50.

Kurosawa Fan
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
If you're a pitcher, and you're hitting free agency (or have a no trade clause), why would you go anywhere other than a NL team?

shaun
08-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Alan Dershowitz is a giant vagina; argues that managers/pitchers should be suspended for season/life for HBPs.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/19/baseball_errs_with_lax_penalty _on_pitchers_who_take_aim_at_h itters/

The minimum penalty for a manager must be suspension for an entire season, perhaps even for life. For the pitcher, suspension for the season should be mitigated only if the pitcher turned in the manager. There should also be penalties for any baseball player who hears the manager or coach order the beaning of a player without reporting it.

Kurosawa Fan
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Alan Dershowitz is a giant vagina; argues that managers/pitchers should be suspended for season/life for HBPs.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/08/19/baseball_errs_with_lax_penalty _on_pitchers_who_take_aim_at_h itters/

What a douche.

Robby P
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Intentionally throwing an object at a defenseless person at 90+ MPH would be considering assault with a deadly weapon in any other circumstance. I'm consistently amazed that no player ever seeks legal recourse in those situations where intent is transparently obvious, particularly considering how much financial incentive they have tied up into their physical well-being.

This "part of the game" nonsense is a bunch of macho bullshit. I'm all for imposing harsher penalties, even though it's extremely difficult to prove intent beyond a reasonable doubt.

Dukefrukem
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Youk got hit again last night

MadMan
08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you, Sweet Lou, for finally replacing Gregg. It came too late, but at least you did it. Good for you. With the Dodgers coming to town the season is about over anyways :|

Ezee E
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Thank you, Sweet Lou, for finally replacing Gregg. It came too late, but at least you did it. Good for you. With the Dodgers coming to town the season is about over anyways :|
Marmol has blown 4 saves this year. Two less than Gregg. Don't get too excited.

Ezee E
08-21-2009, 01:48 AM
If you're a pitcher, and you're hitting free agency (or have a no trade clause), why would you go anywhere other than a NL team?
Betancourt is dominating for the Rockies as well. He hasn't allowed a run as the set-up man for the Rockies.

MadMan
08-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Marmol has blown 4 saves this year. Two less than Gregg. Don't get too excited.Oh don't get me wrong, Marmol gives me ulcers as well. But when he's actually on, he's far better than Gregg. The bullpen should just be done by comittee for the rest of the season. The Cubs could have gotten someone like Sherill, who's a good RP, had the ownership of the organization been decided. That's what's really preventing them from truly improving the team, and its starting to really piss me off. I didn't expect a championship season this year, but I was thinking that they could possibly win the division. Now that won't even happen.

Benny Profane
08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Big Series this weekend for an avid baseball fan. You have Marlins @ Braves, Giants @ Rockies , Yankees @ Boston, Texas @ Tampa, Phillies @ Mets.

shaun
08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Phillies @ Mets.Rivalry sure, but not a series with any playoff implications unfortunately.

Attention worthless scrubs of the Mets, Billy freaking Wagner beat your sorry asses back from the DL and he had to get his arm re-attached.

Ezee E
08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Big Series this weekend for an avid baseball fan. You have Marlins @ Braves, Giants @ Rockies , Yankees @ Boston, Texas @ Tampa, Phillies @ Mets.
The best part for the Rockies is that they got the bottom of the rotation out of the way when they sweeped the Nationals. Marquis, Cook, and either Jorge/Ubaldo for the Giants. Nice.

chrisnu
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Oh my goodness. (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6207669)

Hopefully he's able to live this down. Wow.

Malickfan
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, Marmol gives me ulcers as well. But when he's actually on, he's far better than Gregg. The bullpen should just be done by comittee for the rest of the season. The Cubs could have gotten someone like Sherill, who's a good RP, had the ownership of the organization been decided. That's what's really preventing them from truly improving the team, and its starting to really piss me off. I didn't expect a championship season this year, but I was thinking that they could possibly win the division. Now that won't even happen.

When the new ownership takes over, changes need to be made. Hendry being let go is one of them.

Dukefrukem
08-22-2009, 05:07 PM
:mad:

MadMan
08-23-2009, 01:58 AM
When the new ownership takes over, changes need to be made. Hendry being let go is one of them.I'm not sure about Hendry needing to be let go, but I agree about change being very necessary.

PS: I'm not sure when the season became over. After they almost got swept by the Padres? Sometime two weeks ago? Currently this weekend at the hands of the Dodgers? I'm also not sure if I give a damn, either :|

Ezee E
08-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Ew. 14-11. Just like the old years of Coors Field. At least it was in the Rockies favor. Tried bringing Herges back in (didn't even know he was on the team) and De La Rosa had his misshaps that he was known for.

Kurosawa Fan
08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Zach Miner is one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Fuck that guy. He's an automatic run every time he pitches. Opposing batters are hitting close to .300 off him. There has to be somebody down in the minors who isn't worse than him that the Tigers can bring up right now. Send Miner packing. He's been useless every season he's been up.

Ezee E
08-23-2009, 06:25 PM
The Rockies signed Jason Giambi to a minor-league deal. ha.

Ezee E
08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Beating Lincecum with a 7th inning Seth Smith homerun. When will Colorado even take notice that Seth Smith is CLUTCH.

shaun
08-24-2009, 02:58 AM
So I saw an unassisted triple play live today.

Congrats me, I guess.

(I hate my team)

Dukefrukem
08-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Congrats me, I guess.

(I hate my team)

I hate mine right now too. :frustrated:

Robby P
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
The Giants sure didn't do themselves any favors this weekend. Oh, well. At this point, a playoff berth is worthless if it means Brian Sabean gets to keep his job because of it.

chrisnu
08-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Congrats me, I guess.

(I hate my team)
To end the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQiK9q41zMM

According to the comments, that the first time that's happened since 1927.

Ezee E
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Ha. That was awesome.

Dukefrukem
08-24-2009, 04:26 PM
It really is awesome. Watch the outs at the top of the screen. 0 outs. 1 out. 2 outs. FINAL. hahahaha

Benny Profane
08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I hate mine right now too. :frustrated:

I hate both of your teams.

Benny Profane
08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Let's see, it's late August and Ryan Howard is mashing. The sky is also blue, water is wet, my mother is a saint, and the Mets still suck.

Dukefrukem
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Think the Sox will do the Wagner deal?

Kurosawa Fan
08-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Think the Sox will do the Wagner deal?

I don't think he's healthy. People are saying he couldn't come in to the game against the Phillies (after his first appearance) because of pain. If that's the case, the Mets are obligated to tell the Sox, and that will kill the deal.

shaun
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
They'll get him for close to nothing because it'd be dumb of the Mets to pay $2.6m in remaining salary plus the $1m buyout after the year for a middle reliever in a lost season. Even if you offer him arb, which he'd decline since he wants to close, and take the draft picks, he's still not worth it.

I don't know where Wagner is coming from demanding the Sox decline his option because I'm pretty sure he can only block a trade, and if he does block the trade, they can just give him away.

If that's the case, the Mets are obligated to tell the Sox, and that will kill the deal.They've already claimed him. As far as I know, you can't retract a waiver claim based on injury.

Dukefrukem
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
The only reason he would sign with the Sox is if we picked up his $8 option for 2010. I don't see that happening.

shaun
08-24-2009, 06:09 PM
They've already claimed him. As far as I know, you can't retract a waiver claim based on injury.Clarified
By rule, if any player who has been placed on waivers has any kind of physical problem, then the team that placed him on waivers is required to withdraw that player from waivers. If the Mets were to do that, this would, of course, end any chance of him being moved to Boston.

Kurosawa Fan
08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Clarified

That was what I was referring to.

Benny Profane
08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Looks like season-ending surgery for Santana. Maybe the Mets can save themselves some money by putting a down payment on K-Rod's Tommy John surgery now.

Dukefrukem
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow really??? WTF?

Dukefrukem
08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
who's reporting that? can't find it on ESPN.

shaun
08-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Looks like season-ending surgery for Santana. Maybe the Mets can save themselves some money by putting a down payment on K-Rod's Tommy John surgery now.I will be sacrificing a chicken this weekend to hopefully remove the hex on this franchise.

Ezee E
08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Walk off Grand Slam!

Kurosawa Fan
08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Wagner Exercises No Trade Clause (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4419074)

Apparently he's healthy enough to tell the Sox to stick it.

shaun
08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Apparently he's healthy enough to tell the Sox to stick it.Leverage play. I'll believe it at 1:30.

It's not like the Mets are stupid enough to let a Type A free agent walk without offering arbitration and getting compensation picks in return. Or are they.

Robby P
08-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, the Rockies pretty much sealed San Francisco's postseason fate. I wish I could say I was angry but I can't bring myself to dislike Colorado. I'll be rooting for them come playoff time.

Watashi
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, how sweet would a Rays/Rockies WS be?

shaun
08-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Leverage play. I'll believe it at 1:30.http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4421684
Wagner agreed to waive his no-trade clause in the final minutes before Tuesday's deadline and the fireballing left-handed reliever was traded from the Mets to Boston for two players to be named later, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Dukefrukem
08-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Waht the eff????

Kurosawa Fan
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4421684

Good call.

Dukefrukem
08-25-2009, 06:56 PM
So our bullpen kinda rocks now.

Ezee E
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
So our bullpen kinda rocks now.
I chuckled the first time you did that. But not afterwards.

Ezee E
08-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Really Brad Lidge? You couldn't get a Pirate out?

Dukefrukem
08-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Really Brad Lidge? You couldn't get a Pirate out?

Nope. Which is why the Phillies will not repeat this year.

shaun
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I really want to make fun of Lidge and his 9 blown Saves and 7+ ERA, but then I just look at the standings and get sad.

Kurosawa Fan
08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, I was all set to get excited about the possible sweep of the Angels in Anaheim, and the White Sox preparing to get swept by the Red Sox. Then I noticed the Twins have won five in a row, and are tied for second in the division. I was really hoping the Twins wouldn't make another late run. They are the team that really scares me in the Central.

Dukefrukem
08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Ellsbury broke the single season record for base stealing last night for the Red Sox.

He has 114 stolen bases in 296 games between 2 seasons.

Dukefrukem
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, I was all set to get excited about the possible sweep of the Angels in Anaheim, and the White Sox preparing to get swept by the Red Sox. Then I noticed the Twins have won five in a row, and are tied for second in the division. I was really hoping the Twins wouldn't make another late run. They are the team that really scares me in the Central.

What are you doing Saturday?

Kurosawa Fan
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
What are you doing Saturday?

Going to Comerica to watch Porcello dominate the Rays. Why?

Ezee E
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
The Phillies are just bizarre. A better road record than home record?

Hopefully the Rockies can just get the division and face the Cardinals in the first round, in hopes that the Dodgers could beat out the Phillies.

Boston will get in the playoffs. Their last few series consists of Orioles, Royals, Blue Jays, Indians, and one series at the Yanks. They should win 12-13 of those.

Ezee E
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Their pitching is hurt. Although with M&M, two MVP candidates, anything could be possible.

Heh, Detroit finishes out the season at home with both the Twins and the White Sox.

Dukefrukem
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Going to Comerica to watch Porcello dominate the Rays. Why?

Cuz there's a 99.9% chance Im flying to Detroit for work on Friday. I'd LoVe to visit the new ballpark there on Sat. I have the whole day free only to work at 8am on Sunday. Maybe we could meet up?