PDA

View Full Version : Thor Ragnarok (Taika Waititi)

transmogrifier
10-25-2017, 03:40 PM
http://cdn2-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/gallery/thor-ragnarok-gallery-2/thorimax3.jpg

TGM
10-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Really couldn't include the full title? :\

transmogrifier
10-25-2017, 03:49 PM
This is just a pure, flat-out comedy. Some people are going to dislike it as a result, given that it is very different in tone to all the other Marvel movies, even Guardians, but I absolutely shudder at the idea of playing this story straight.

Up there with the first Avengers and the first Guardians as my favorite of the series, based many on it being funny from front to back and having a more interesting look/set design than anything else so far, but still has its problems, as they all do (in this case, not giving the villain - played very well by Blanchett - anything to do and not being really successful at meshing the comedy with the requisite Marvel stabs at big lessons, and poor old Skurge who is like an afterthought).

transmogrifier
10-25-2017, 03:50 PM

I'm sure someone will come along and make things right. Just hold on, I know you can pull through this. I'm thinking of you.

Dead & Messed Up
10-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Why, this thread could be about any of this year's given Thor-based films.

;)

Peng
10-25-2017, 03:57 PM
So on your scale that would be... (browsing through the Spider-Man thread) ... around 68-69 right? Encouraging.

Irish
10-26-2017, 02:35 AM
This is just a pure, flat-out comedy. Some people are going to dislike it as a result, given that it is very different in tone to all the other Marvel movies, even Guardians, but I absolutely shudder at the idea of playing this story straight.

Was it Waititi that drew you in? I'm surprised you saw this opening (?) weekend because you've seemed down on Marvel films recently.

TGM
10-26-2017, 03:00 AM
I'm sure someone will come along and make things right. Just hold on, I know you can pull through this. I'm thinking of you.

Thanks man. I appreciate you looking out. Truly.

transmogrifier
10-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Was it Waititi that drew you in? I'm surprised you saw this opening (?) weekend because you've seemed down on Marvel films recently.

Absolutely Waititi. Gotta support fellow Kiwis. For reference, Thor 2 remains the one MCU film I haven’t seen.

transmogrifier
10-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks man. I appreciate you looking out. Truly.

My prediction came true! Not only am I a truly warm-hearted individual, I can see the future. I scare myself sometimes.

transmogrifier
10-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah: don’t bother waiting for the end credits scene. YouTube it later.

Dukefrukem
10-26-2017, 10:46 AM
My prediction came true! Not only am I a truly warm-hearted individual, I can see the future. I scare myself sometimes.

You're welcome.

Skitch
10-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Wait, you're a Kiwi? How did I not know this?

Dukefrukem
10-26-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure I knew that either.

transmogrifier
10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Maybe because I live in Korea... idk. One day Winston and I may even meet...

transmogrifier
10-26-2017, 12:00 PM
You're welcome.

I knew I could count on your forum OCD.

Skitch
10-26-2017, 12:18 PM
I'll be reading your posts with an entirely different tone from here on out.

Winston*
11-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Up there with the first Avengers and the first Guardians as my favorite of the series, based many on it being funny from front to back and having a more interesting look/set design than anything else so far, but still has its problems, as they all do (in this case, not giving the villain - played very well by Blanchett - anything to do and not being really successful at meshing the comedy with the requisite Marvel stabs at big lessons, and poor old Skurge who is like an afterthought).

Agreed with all this, though would add Iron Man 3 to the best of the series, which like the others leans towards the comedic. This I what I want from these movies: fun pulp nonsense that moves at a good pace. I don't care that Captain America and Iron Man are mad at each other or that blue guy dying in the second Guardians movie.

My kiwi audience was cracking up at the Maori rock monster. Wonder how he'll play in America.

Winston*
11-01-2017, 12:08 AM
I'll be reading your posts with an entirely different tone from here on out.

Read them as flat and mumbly with an upwards inflection at the end up every sentence.

Skitch
11-01-2017, 12:09 AM
My kiwi audience was cracking up at the Maori rock monster. Wonder how he'll play in America.

You're Kiwi too?? What is happening around here...

Winston*
11-01-2017, 12:11 AM
You're Kiwi too?? What is happening around here...

Bro.

Skitch
11-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Bro.

What. I automatically like you more if youre Kiwi. I can't keep up with everyones backstory on the internet.

Grouchy
11-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Man, this was a blast. It's true that 3/4 of the movie is just a character based comedy and it's only at the climax that it delivers on the cosmic action, but hell, I don't know - it's the tone they went for and Waititi is a comedy director.

I know we're maybe past that point, but I was impressed how they were able to conflate Planet Hulk and the Asgard story without alienating the audience. The only ones that suffered were secondary characters like Skurge or Korg who had to be reduced to comic relief.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2017, 03:39 AM
Yeh this is great. The pacing is pretty unique to the rest of the MCU. It moves very quickly, scene to scene and joke to joke. It took me a few scenes to get comfortable with the tone. It was odd seeing Thor speak ironically at first. But by the time the movie gets going, you expect the banter to increase. You also expect it to come crashing down to reality. I prefer Whedon dialog though.

I wonder how Edgar Wright feels about this movie.

Wryan
11-03-2017, 04:38 AM
Whew, this hangs together reaaaal loosely. "Just barely" would be more accurate. But there is a good bit of fun here. One problem with the summer camp feel of the whole thing is how inevitably there's going to be a certain percentage of jokes that just splat against the wall ineffectually, moments that just don't hit home well enough. Thought the ball glass bounce and Banner flop were two of the biggest laughs, though.

The Damon cameo is suddenly undercut, considering the events of late. Interesting.

Watashi
11-03-2017, 05:14 AM
The actual Ragnarok plot is kinda lame, but the supporting cast is aces. This is a movie all about facial gestures and reaction shots. I was cracking up at Goldblum's every line.

TGM
11-03-2017, 05:51 AM
The now usual Marvel over-reliance on epic moment misdirect humor aside (seriously, is Marvel just the most insecure studio at this point or what?), I thought this was an absolute blast. Loved the music, and everything surrounding the all around production design of this thing. Also, more Karl Urban in space operas, please.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2017, 12:23 PM
The Damon cameo is suddenly undercut, considering the events of late. Interesting.

Did you notice who played Odin?

Wryan
11-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Yeah I saw him, which I enjoyed, tho at first I thought they had Liam Hemsworth as Thor, which would have been amazing but also kinda rude considering I think he went out for the role initially. (It was a Hemsworth, but another brother.)

Grouchy
11-03-2017, 02:08 PM
Don't quite get what you mean here.

Wryan
11-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Because he's been in the news with the Weinstein issue and people generally not having his response to it. Like at all. Just interesting, inopportune timing is all. Bout half a year ago or so, a cameo like that would be more "oh fun haha." Now it's sorta, "Oh...errr."

Also the snake reminiscence was terrific.

number8
11-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Thor 2 remains the one MCU film I haven’t seen.

Funny to see that this is the MCU movie with the second highest RT score when Thor 2 is the lowest. Well done.

Good that people are starting to realize that Chris Hemsworth is much better as a comic actor than an action star.

Ezee E
11-04-2017, 01:01 AM
Should I see this as someone who doesn't like majority of the Marvel movies?

Watashi
11-04-2017, 04:10 AM
Haha. A lot of Marvel nerds are letdown by how there's no emotion or drama and just a bunch of jokes.

Playing this as a straight action movie would be boring as shit. It's why the Asgard scenes dragged so much. It felt like a completely different film.

TGM
11-04-2017, 04:44 AM
You can still include drama and emotion without turning it into just a straight action movie. See: Guardians of the Galaxy.

transmogrifier
11-04-2017, 06:32 AM
It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft - I haven’t felt ANY emotional resonance or dramatic heft in any of the Marvel films... not a single one. I don’t find any of the Marvel characters to have any weight or depth - Captain America comes closest, but they deadened him into speechifying boredom in Civil War. At least this one (and GOTG and Avengers and Antman and the first half of Homecoming) has jokes that work.

[ETM]
11-04-2017, 12:15 PM
There is as much of that in Ragnarok as can be expected from a movie about gods and/or immortals. Asgardian refugees are still sheltered demigods, and there's nothing we can completely relate to. I was actually surprised at how much I actually cared. It's way funnier than most Marvel movies but I don't think it's lesser in any regard to any of them.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Dukefrukem
11-04-2017, 12:24 PM
It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft - I haven’t felt ANY emotional resonance or dramatic heft in any of the Marvel films... not a single one. I don’t find any of the Marvel characters to have any weight or depth - Captain America comes closest, but they deadened him into speechifying boredom in Civil War. At least this one (and GOTG and Avengers and Antman and the first half of Homecoming) has jokes that work.
resonance

Dunno about that. The "So was I" line from Stark gave me chills in Civil War. I could probably drum up some other examples but it's pointless.

transmogrifier
11-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Should I see this as someone who doesn't like majority of the Marvel movies?

Depends; if the ones you DO like are the more comedic ones, sure. If you prefer the more grounded ones (like the Cap. movies) than it probably won't work for you. But Waititi is kind of his own thing - watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows or Boy and then decide. Maybe you can appreciate it as a fan of the director....

transmogrifier
11-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Dunno about that. The "So was I" line from Stark gave me chills in Civil War. I could probably drum up some other examples but it's pointless.

That line was in the trailer, and it had more impact there than in the film, which had driven everything into the ground by that point.

Literally nothing has given me chills in a Marvel movie. Lots of laughs though, so I can deal.

transmogrifier
11-04-2017, 12:30 PM
;580455']There is as much of that in Ragnarok as can be expected from a movie about gods and/or immortals. Asgardian refugees are still sheltered demigods, and there's nothing we can completely relate to. I was actually surprised at how much I actually cared. It's way funnier than most Marvel movies but I don't think it's lesser in any regard to any of them.

I thought the movie deflated a little every time it cut back to Elba (I can't remember the character's name and can't be bothered looking it up) and his people; it was so colorless and rote, like LOTR cut scenes from Helm's Deep or something. Goldblum having the time of his life and the weird little story digressions and stupid-smart comedy were more my speed.

[ETM]
11-04-2017, 12:53 PM
On that note, I was surprised at what they did with the Warriors Three. Thor's best Asgardian pals and part of the main cast in the previous films... Wham! Gone.

If there was ever any doubt about dumping the legacy of two films, it ended right there.

Grouchy
11-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Depends; if the ones you DO like are the more comedic ones, sure. If you prefer the more grounded ones (like the Cap. movies) than it probably won't work for you. But Waititi is kind of his own thing - watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows or Boy and then decide. Maybe you can appreciate it as a fan of the director....
Yeah. One good thing that can be said about Ragnarok is that it's the rare Marvel film that preserves the director's style.

Dukefrukem
11-04-2017, 06:54 PM
;580464']On that note, I was surprised at what they did with the Warriors Three. Thor's best Asgardian pals and part of the main cast in the previous films... Wham! Gone.

If there was ever any doubt about dumping the legacy of two films, it ended right there.

Sif is still alive though.

Grouchy
11-04-2017, 07:10 PM
It’s weird how people complain this has no emotional resonance or dramatic heft
I'm surprised more comic book geeks are not saying this because the plot is cribbed from several sources which have been robbed of their agency with the comedic approach. Skurge's sacrifice with the dual M-16s in the comics is a dramatic, epic moment. And Planet Hulk is its own storyline that has nothing to do with Thor and would make an excellent solo movie.

Dukefrukem
11-04-2017, 07:24 PM
And Planet Hulk is its own storyline that has nothing to do with Thor and would make an excellent solo movie.

I wouldn't say... has "nothing" to do with Thor... unless you're being technical. Or am I getting it confused with the Planet Hulk movie? I can't remember which is which right now but Hulk fights both the silver surfer and Beta Ray Bill in the pit.

Grouchy
11-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't say... has "nothing" to do with Thor... unless you're being technical. Or am I getting it confused with the Planet Hulk movie? I can't remember which is which right now but Hulk fights both the silver surfer and Beta Ray Bill in the pit.
I haven't seen the animated movie. In the Planet Hulk comic all the cast surrounding big ol' green is original as far as I know. There's no Silver Surfer, no Beta Ray Bill.

[ETM]
11-04-2017, 07:28 PM
What was wrong with Scourge's sacrifice in Ragnarok? I never thought any dramatic moment was lessened by the comedic nature of the film, which I FULLY expected, mind you. Well, perhaps Korg's line about the foundations in the end, that was silly.

Grouchy
11-04-2017, 07:32 PM
;580483']What was wrong with Scourge's sacrifice in Ragnarok? I never thought any dramatic moment was lessened by the comedic nature of the film, which I FULLY expected, mind you. Well, perhaps Korg's line about the foundations in the end, that was silly.
On second thought, you may be right about this. The character started as 100% comic relief but there was a build up to the sacrifice on every subsequent scene he shared with Hela.

Dukefrukem
11-04-2017, 07:38 PM
I haven't seen the animated movie. In the Planet Hulk comic all the cast surrounding big ol' green is original as far as I know. There's no Silver Surfer, no Beta Ray Bill.

Huh? He fights one of those two people in the gladiator pit in front of the Red King. That's how everyone is freed from the obedience disk.

Grouchy
11-04-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm talking about the comic. Just checked Wikipedia and Beta Ray Bill is indeed in the animated film, but not in the comics.

Dukefrukem
11-04-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm talking about the comic. Just checked Wikipedia and Beta Ray Bill is indeed in the animated film, but not in the comics.

Okay, I couldn't remember which was which.

Dukefrukem
11-05-2017, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwSdoRqax4

Peng
11-05-2017, 02:55 PM
The Iron Man 3 of the Thor franchise. While I like Shane Black's darker humor intersped and whiplashed by more serious drama better, a change of tone, and unmooring the hero for a time of his power and place, work equally well to revive the franchise from the baggage of lackluster second installment (I'm still one of the weirdos who like the first Thor a lot, and more than this one, though). Will need a second watch to see if the Asgard half coheres with the whole better, although I already enjoyed it enough thanks to Cate Blanchett's deliciously strutting performance and some clever bits of mythmaking reversals. The Sakaar stuff is just one blissfully, deliriously irrevelant and delightful stretch though. 7.5/10

Grouchy
11-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Ok, I re-read part of Planet Hulk last night. You were kind of right, Duke - the role played by Beta Bill in the movie is played there by an amnesiac Silver Surfer. And Thor appears in a small two page flashback scene where Korg tells the story of the fiercest battle of his life.

Dukefrukem
11-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Ok, I re-read part of Planet Hulk last night. You were kind of right, Duke - the role played by Beta Bill in the movie is played there by an amnesiac Silver Surfer. And Thor appears in a small two page flashback scene where Korg tells the story of the fiercest battle of his life.

It's kind of cool we've kind of got three versions of that scene where Hulk fights three of of his friends.

Would have been cooler if they worshiped the Hulk a bit more in this movie, and explained a little bit more why Hulk was so inclined to fight Thor. Would have also been cooler if Waititi figured out a way to intertwine the backed of revolution to something Hulk did. (I guess they sorta did when he freed Korg)... Almost like we were see the Planet Hulk story from Thors POV, and ended up just tagging along after Hulk frees the planet.

megladon8
11-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Is Beta Ray Bill 100% CGI?

Dukefrukem
11-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Is Beta Ray Bill 100% CGI?

He isn't in this movie (though he was going to be). Grouchy and I are referring to the Planet Hulk animated movie.

Dukefrukem
11-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Forgot my MCU Rankings:

I've relaxed my praise for Homecoming after my second viewing. Also I've re-confirmed the worst movie is Incredible Hulk.

1.The Avengers 2012 ★★★★★
2.Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2014 ★★★★★
3.Avengers: Age of Ultron 2015 ★★★★½
4.Thor: Ragnarok 2017 ★★★★½
5.Spider-Man: Homecoming 2017 ★★★★½
6.Captain America: Civil War 2016 ★★★★½
7.Guardians of the Galaxy 2014 ★★★★½
8.Iron Man 2008 ★★★★
9.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 2017 ★★★★
10.Ant-Man 2015 ★★★★
11.Doctor Strange 2016 ★★★★
12.Iron Man 3 2013 ★★★★
13.Captain America: The First Avenger 2011★★★½
14.Thor 2011 ★★★½
15.Iron Man 2 2010 ★★
16.Thor: The Dark World 2013 ★★
17.The Incredible Hulk 2008

Grouchy
11-05-2017, 10:29 PM
It's kind of cool we've kind of got three versions of that scene where Hulk fights three of of his friends.

Would have been cooler if they worshiped the Hulk a bit more in this movie, and explained a little bit more why Hulk was so inclined to fight Thor. Would have also been cooler if Waititi figured out a way to intertwine the backed of revolution to something Hulk did. (I guess they sorta did when he freed Korg)... Almost like we were see the Planet Hulk story from Thors POV, and ended up just tagging along after Hulk frees the planet.
One of the few things I dislike about this movie is that it eliminates any chance of a Planet Hulk adaptation. I was reading the comic last night and damn, that story is good.

number8
11-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Dead & Messed Up
11-07-2017, 03:27 PM

I think the most I've probably felt is in the first Captain America when he crashes the plane at the end. Not a deep feeling, but there was something there, and in Evans' sincere performance of the do-gooder.

[ETM]
11-07-2017, 03:34 PM
I am a simple man, I did get emotional a few times.

TGM
11-07-2017, 04:12 PM
There was definitely emotion in both Guardians movies, the first one especially. And for me personally, I definitely felt a bit of emotion during the final battle between Stark and Cap/Winter Soldier at the end of Civil War. But I wouldn't say a lack of emotion is necessarily the issue, more so that lately, they've had a tendency to deflate potentially iconic or "epic" moments with cheap groaner gags. People first really started pointing this out with Doctor Strange, how a lot of the comedy in that movie felt forced, and how a lot of it took away from various moments. And this trend continued in Guardians 2, which also misdirected a number of such serious and potentially iconic imagery with cheap gags. And I know that I felt this latest Thor was the worst offender in this regard, as they cheapened and deflated every possible moment that came there way, to the point where it was just obnoxious.

I equate Marvel's "Epic Moment Misdirect" tactic to jump scares in shitty horror movies. They're cheap, lazy, ineffective, and annoying. And it got to the point where I was telegraphing the gags, as they would set up the next "bad ass" epic moment, only to instantly pull the rug out from under us and let the scene fall completely flat (literally at times). However, this is a recent trend in these movies, and they're only getting worse with it. But can you imagine if they had done the same in earlier films. If during our big heroes lineup in the original Avengers, if they had someone do some sort of cheap prat fall that totally ruined the moment, would that same moment still resonate and stick with us in our minds the way it has? Hell, had they pulled this bullshit from the beginning, would this whole MCU project had even ever gotten off the ground in the first place?

It's almost as if Marvel have suddenly become embarrassed that they're even making superhero movies, so they've resorted to making spoof films instead, which this movie definitely feels like. But this change in attitude comes to the detriment of their own films, which have become more and more forgettable with each new entry, and this trend of deflating these iconic moments and keeping them from sticking with us well after the fact I feel is only contributing to making their newest movies more forgettable. It's like they hear the criticisms about DC being "too serious", and so now, Marvel's afraid to ever get serious at all, so they throw in as many jokes as they can in order to over-compensate.

It's an over-correction for an issue that was never there in the first place, and it's becoming more frustrating with each new entry. And that's honestly my biggest takeaway from this new movie a number of days later. There is so much great in this movie, and so much potential to be a genuinely great movie all around. But Marvel needlessly went in and neutered so much of their own movie in favor of something more light and expendable, and it pretty much makes me feel like all that potential, and all the greatness that was there, had all gone to waste.

There's nothing wrong with pulling the rug out from under us and subverting expectations, but if you're going to do so, it needs to be towards something that elevates the material. And these cheap gags do quite the opposite from that.

TGM
11-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Updated:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man 3
The Avengers
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor: Ragnarok
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Doctor Strange
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2

number8
11-11-2017, 03:50 AM
- Someone referred to the Asgard plot as a refugee story and I think that’s a really nice way of looking at it. Adds a layer to the use of Immigrant Song.

- “What? I’m not gonna fight your sister.” Fuck this movie is funny.

- The relentless parodying of Black Widow’s line from Ultron had me in stitches. It’s the best callback joke of this movie universe.

- I thought it was hilarious that Hela arrives talking about conquest and then for the rest of the movie she doesn’t get any of it basically because she can’t find the car keys.

- There’s really only one aspect that i thought the comedy approach was detrimental to and that’s the fact that Thor’s three best friends were murdered and he literally didn’t bother to say or feel anything about it.

Watashi
11-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Sif is still around though... I think?

[ETM]
11-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Yeah, literally because of scheduling conflicts.

Ivan Drago
11-12-2017, 06:23 AM
I went into this knowing this is just a spoke on the wheel of Disney's road to killing cinema as we know it, so I was feeling really cynical about it. . .and ended up surprised at how much I liked it. It cleverly takes the clichéd prophecy storyline and relegates it to the B plot while the A plot is a sendup of cheesy 80s sci-fi, and executes its dry sense of humor well thanks to how the actors deliver deadpan sarcasm. My favorite gags come down to how the Pure Imagination song from Willy Wonka was used and the look on the face of the truant officer from Wilderpeople at the fireworks.

The color scheme is cool to look at, the performances are fun, the score is awesome. . .yeah, good stuff all around. This is one of the movies from the MCU I'd happily revisit.

That being said. . .I'm legit shocked and disappointed they wrote themselves out of a Gauntlet v. Gauntlet fight in Infinity War by making the one in Asgard fake.

Oh yeah: don’t bother waiting for the end credits scene. YouTube it later.

I stayed anyway. It was worth it.

"Good revolution, and. . .it's a tie." :D

Morris Schæffer
11-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Very, very amusing. I do wish its jokes to action ratio was even higher.

Some of the things that weren't in the trailer, such as Hulk taking the fight to the fire demon at the end were fucking hilarious!

The best Thor, far funnier than Deadpool.

Grouchy
11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
far funnier than Deadpool.
Eh, not in my book.

Dukefrukem
11-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Eh, not in my book.

If you grew up in the 90s, Deadpool is funnier.

Wryan
11-13-2017, 11:53 AM
I thought it was hilarious that Hela arrives talking about conquest and then for the rest of the movie she doesn’t get any of it basically because she can’t find the car keys.

Thought it was very funny when the camera pulls way back and her voice is distant when she says the line, "'Whoever you are'!? Weren't you listening to anything I just said...." Very clever use of basic camera techniques and staging to get a laugh.

transmogrifier
11-13-2017, 11:54 AM
The snake story is the funniest thing in the MCU and Deadpool.

Wryan
11-13-2017, 11:55 AM
And he knows I love snakes.

TGM
11-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Deadpool > Thor: Ragnarok

Dukefrukem
11-13-2017, 02:05 PM
The stale third act in Deadpool is much worse than the stale third act in Thor3.

transmogrifier
11-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Deadpool = Thor: Ragnarok > that precise moment where you have the crashing realization that you have wasted too much time on the Internet yet again after telling yourself a million times that you would be more productive when you had the chance, so you shut down the browser quickly and decisively and mutter recriminations at yourself and promise to do better, but who are you fooling, really?

I mean, more or less.

Peng
11-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Mystified at how dressing up a very leaden origin story in self-aware, self-satisfied, dirty humor (which is often amusing to me, I have to add) can make that feel so different to some; the core origin story is still more tired than usual even for this genre, which is a bit made up by the humor somewhat but still not enough. Thor: Ragnarok has a go at the irreverence Deadpool wants, and feel so much more organic and successful.

Wryan
11-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Deadpool = Thor: Ragnarok > that precise moment where you have the crashing realization that you have wasted too much time on the Internet yet again after telling yourself a million times that you would be more productive when you had the chance, so you shut down the browser quickly and decisively and mutter recriminations at yourself and promise to do better, but who are you fooling, really?

I mean, more or less.

You could go watch Wisdom of the Crowd.

number8
11-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I laughed in Thor harder and more often than I did Deadpool. Is this a good metric?

TGM
11-13-2017, 04:13 PM
That's the metric I'm using. I laughed more often and harder during Deadpool, and groaned a lot more during Thor.

Grouchy
11-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Yeah, same metric. Deadpool's jokes were often completely out of left field and surreal. In Thor, there were many moments where you could see them coming from miles away.

It's funny that Deadpool is an "official" satire, but Thor is marketed as a real superhero epic despite being mostly a comedy.

number8
11-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Well, we can at least agree that they're both way funnier than Logan.

[ETM]
11-13-2017, 08:33 PM
I mostly laughed at situations in Ragnarok, not jokes. Way more subtle stuff. Like Goldblum's answer to how old he is, or his two scantily clad minions carrying those enormous ridiculous guns in the background.

Skitch
11-14-2017, 12:57 AM
I laughed in Thor harder and more often than I did Deadpool. Is this a good metric?

It depends on the depth of the laugh, I guess?

I haven't seen Thor yet, but I would say I had deeper laughs at Thor's trailer than I did in Deadpools movie. I snickered a lot at Deadpool though.

number8
11-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Henry Gale
11-15-2017, 05:08 AM
If you grew up in the 90s, Deadpool is funnier.

Nooooooo!! Not even entirely sure what this means but even as someone who is shamelessly susceptible to '90s nostalgia, I will refute this characterization to my core.

Deadpool was almost entirely strained and annoying to me.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, delighted me and made me laugh heartily throughout. (Not to mention it has an actual, awesome visual imagination, whereas Deadpool is mostly a gray and red bore of concrete landscapes.) On fun-factor alone it's one if my very favourite of the MCU.

Dukefrukem
11-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Nooooooo!! Not even entirely sure what this means but even as someone who is shamelessly susceptible to '90s nostalgia, I will refute this characterization to my core.

Deadpool was almost entirely strained and annoying to me.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, delighted me and made me laugh heartily throughout. (Not to mention it has an actual, awesome visual imagination, whereas Deadpool is mostly a gray and red bore of concrete landscapes.) On fun-factor alone it's one if my very favourite of the MCU.

Because 90% of the jokes were from the 90s.

bac0n
11-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Saw this last night - definitely the most straight up FUN I've had with the MCU yet. What a delight from start to finish. Such an unapologetic romp, loved it. I'm pretty sure this will wind up in my blu-ray collection, with a drinking game concocted shortly thereafter. Why, I'm already coming up with some rules.

DRINK WHEN...
* Someone is decpitated
* Jeff Goldblum acts like Jeff Goldblum
* Hulk Smash

TAKE A SHOT WHEN...
* Hulk's bare kelly green ass
* THOR SUPER LIGHTENING FINISHER!
* Tender Moment between brothers
* Thor gets owned by Hulk

Henry Gale
11-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Because 90% of the jokes were from the 90s.

Hmmm. I suppose this would require remembering them, which I'm not sure I do.

I remember "Shoop"! (Is also the equivalent effort of its attempts at gags.)

number8
11-16-2017, 12:27 PM
I don't really remember it having a lot of 90s references. I thought most of the jokes were current pop culture jokes (Jared Fogle, other superhero movies, etc).

DavidSeven
11-20-2017, 11:00 PM
I saw this about two weeks ago. I know I laughed. I know I was entertained. And the 3D effects were actually quite bearable.

Like the rest of Marvel's stuff, it did not otherwise leave much of an impression on me.

MadMan
12-02-2017, 05:45 AM
This was a fun, hilarious and near great sequel. I am reminded of how the third Iron Man was a leg up from the second film. Loved the cameos, too, and Goldblum stole the film.

MadMan
12-02-2017, 05:47 AM
I grew up in the 90s and liked both Deadpool and Thor 3. Both have different styles of humor.

Morris Schæffer
12-02-2017, 01:22 PM
I grew up in the 90s and liked both Deadpool and Thor 3. Both have different styles of humor.

Are the RT forums history? I can no longer see them.

Dukefrukem
12-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Are the RT forums history? I can no longer see them.

Yes.

Morris Schæffer
12-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Yes.

Really? You have this from good authority? Was there an announcement at all?

Dukefrukem
12-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Really? You have this from good authority? Was there an announcement at all?

A few weeks ago there was a bunch of people posting about it on Facebook. I never bothered to follow up.

Dead & Messed Up
01-29-2018, 01:53 PM
This movie was fun and fairly on point with its character development and payoffs - something like Skurge's arc is slight and obvious but also clear and honest to his character and what we know of him. It's similarly predictable but satisfying to watch Loki return in the final act.

I wanted more Hela, and more Hela interacting with people of consequence. Also, Cate Blanchett in this movie is stunningly attractive. Maybe she could've grown beyond her function as the latest in the long line of galactic despots. That element of Marvel bothers me in the same way its overreliance on humor bothers other people. I'm just so damn bored of intergalactic despots who want to OWN THE UNIVERSE. Jesus, they're dull, and a huge part of why I'm not interested in Thanos at all.

Taika's sensibilities give the film a boost, but it also gets in the way of emotional beats that could've been, y'know, effectively emotional, like Thor watching his home get destroyed. Instead, Korg makes a crack about the foundations (a joke with a rhythm taken straight from the car explosion in Groundhog Day), and I guess we're supposed to laugh in that moment.

Agreed with number8 that it's super-weird that Thor has no perspective on his longtime friends dying, but maybe that's because the previous two films haven't really been good at integrating them into the stories or making them memorable, and anyway this film replaces all of them (and Jane) with Tessa Thompson's charming Valkyrie.

Nobody at the end of the film comments on whether or not Hulk can change back into Banner when that's a huge part of his final choice. I think they needed an epilogue beat with him dealing with the possibility that Banner may never come back, and reconciling that with his decision to go Hulk to stop Fenrir.

Dukefrukem
03-26-2018, 12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDzd-_tQ7pI

Lazlo
03-26-2018, 01:05 PM
The amount of time and money used to put a digital eyepatch on Anthony Hopkins is funny to think about.

Grouchy
03-26-2018, 01:14 PM
Yeah, that just seems like a weird call.

Dukefrukem
03-26-2018, 02:25 PM
Did he just refuse to wear one?

StuSmallz
03-26-2018, 06:38 PM
The amount of time and money used to put a digital eyepatch on Anthony Hopkins is funny to think about.Still not anywhere near as embarrassing as this, though:

https://youtu.be/2PZ3W1W20bk

Dead & Messed Up
03-26-2018, 07:11 PM
Looks like he was wearing one in the original footage, then they decided they wanted to color-adjust the eyepatch, and then they built a 3D render for sake of photorealism (maybe color-correcting frame by frame wasn't catching light in the right way).

Grouchy
03-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Aaaah yeah that makes more sense.

megladon8
06-17-2018, 08:55 PM
This was so good. Top tier Marvel.

Waititi needs a little work on his action scenes, but everything here is overflowing with so much charm and sincere humor it’s hard to even fault it for its ho hum fights.

Visually striking, again particularly with Waititi’s comedy.

Haven’t seen such confident visual comedy since Edgar Wright.

Irish
01-26-2019, 01:38 AM
Having just rewatched after not connecting with it much the first time: Loved most every second. Pretty much laughed my ass off all the way through. This is a terrific piece of pop entertainment.

There's a shot at the end with the main characters --- Thor, Loki, Hulk, Valkyrie, etc etc --- and I kinda wished they'd do a spinoff series about "The Revengers" tooling around the galaxy solving, I dunno, local crimes or something. Ya know, instead of whatever lame shit they'll inevitably do for "Guardians 3."

What struck me this time was how great the production design was, and how much detail exists in the shots. This might be the best looking Marvel movie in the series. I loved how Waititi's team married the dayglo sensibility of 70s and 80s sci-fantasy to contemporary taste. It's like a little bit of Kirby and a little bit of Moebius, but it a $200 million blockbuster movie.

Thor might be edging out Cap as my favorite Marvel character. Hemsworth has grown into the role and Thor has the most interesting arc in the series.

(I'm half tempted to watch "Infinity War" just to see that one scene between Rocket and Thor again.)

Nobody at the end of the film comments on whether or not Hulk can change back into Banner when that's a huge part of his final choice.

True, but then nobody in the film notices that The Hulk spent 2 years on an alien planet murdering slaves. Which sorta ties into your other point about Thor not acknowledging the loss of friends on Asgard: There's a lot implied violence throughout that the film isn't equipped to deal with.

Dead & Messed Up
01-26-2019, 04:23 AM
True, but then nobody in the film notices that The Hulk spent 2 years on an alien planet murdering slaves. Which sorta ties into your other point about Thor not acknowledging the loss of friends on Asgard: There's a lot implied violence throughout that the film isn't equipped to deal with.

Fair point.

Also, I like this movie more now than in my initial response. It's grown in my mind. The aesthetic, the combination of characters, and the colonialist subtext have aged well in my mind. This is one of the best of this whole damn saga, and I agree with you that it elevates Thor to a top-tier hero.

Dukefrukem
04-25-2019, 04:41 PM
I wish this first deleted scene was in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P66QSVLs6bQ

Ezee E
02-16-2021, 03:40 PM
I've traditionally hated the humor in Marvel movies because it's a cheap way to divert drama that's going on. However, when the comedy is intended from each level (dialog, visual gags, etc.) as it is in this one, it's working as a whole.

I watched the first hour of this and had to shut it off due to bedtime... Sorry... But I am really enjoying this. Look forward to watching the rest tonight.

Also, you can tell that Cate Blanchett and Anthony Hopkins feel refreshed with a role like this that isn't so serious.

Ezee E
02-17-2021, 04:19 AM
Best Stan Lee cameo has to be this one.