PDA

View Full Version : The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (Noah Baumbach)

Watashi
10-16-2017, 11:41 PM
https://cdn.traileraddict.com/content/netflix/the-meyerowitz-stories-poster.jpg

Watashi
10-16-2017, 11:43 PM
This isn't going to change any opinions how you feel about Baumbach. This is his best since Squid and the Whale. The whole dysfunctional upper-class New York family has been done to death, but they are always fascinating to watch.

transmogrifier
10-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Okay, indie film-makers, it's time we had a talk. You're not going to like it, but you had to hear it from someone.

Here goes: "My father and/or mother screwed me up" is just not a very interesting premise. Sure, you could maybe get away with it as a sub-plot, something that plays out in the background of something more interesting, unique, and lively, but put it front and center, and it runs the risk of being soggy and self-pitying, and it is definitely derivative now, given that every second new filmmaker apparently wants to lay bare just how with-holding and selfish their erudite, wealthy, ever-so-idiosyncratic parents were.

Sure, getting a handful of good actors to deliver the material helps, but only so much; deep at the heart of it all, I just don't fucking care anymore.

transmogrifier
10-16-2017, 11:49 PM
This is his best since Squid and the Whale.

Frances Ha is much better than either.

Irish
10-17-2017, 12:11 AM
"My father and/or mother screwed me up" is just not a very interesting premise.

It generally isn't but I don't have a problem with someone approaching that if they have a good angle. But I can't figure out why someone like Baumbach, having made the films he's made, would want to make this one now. It seems if not repetitive then shallow.

(I got 5 minutes into this and turned it off because I was like, ugh, not again. I don't give a fuck.)

transmogrifier
10-17-2017, 01:11 AM
Good choice. It doesn’t stop being what it promises/threatens to be after 5 minutes.

Peng
10-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Sandler's daughter character looks so much like Shailene Woodley I have to pause after a bit to check if it's really her.

Ivan Drago
10-17-2017, 10:24 PM
How's Adam Sandler in this? It's always good to see him outside of his Happy Gilmore stuff.

transmogrifier
10-17-2017, 11:08 PM
How's Adam Sandler in this? It's always good to see him outside of his Happy Gilmore stuff.

He's alright. I like him in serious mode, but I wouldn't say he is brilliant or anything.

Pop Trash
10-28-2017, 06:09 AM
Frances Ha is much better than either.

Nah.

transmogrifier
10-28-2017, 06:17 AM
Nah.

Yeah.

Ezee E
11-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Maybe the most boring movie of the year.

transmogrifier
11-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Maybe the most boring movie of the year.

I honestly don’t understand why so many online critics loved this thing. You’d be tempted to think the majority of them were middle-class middle aged white guys with generic daddy issues

Watashi
11-11-2017, 11:10 PM
You seem to be very invested into a small straight-to-Netflix movie that you do not like, trans.

Let the people enjoy the things.

transmogrifier
11-11-2017, 11:39 PM
You seem to be very invested into a small straight-to-Netflix movie that you do not like, trans.

Let the people enjoy the things.

I wish to take this opportunity to again register my displeasure with this movie and implore Netflix to restrain from distributing motion pictures of a similar ilk in the future.

Ezee E
11-12-2017, 05:00 AM
I'll have to try out that halloween looking 1963 one, or whatever the hell it is.

DavidSeven
11-13-2017, 07:09 PM
This is what you get when giant tech companies throw dollars at any director who has even the slightest cachet. Minor arthouse heroes indulging their every impulse, without any concern for finding a diverse audience or making anyone's money back. Can you even track that on this type of platform?

The film's star power is enough to keep it engaging enough, and I wouldn't say I was ever bored. But there is utterly nothing special about this, and it is easily the most insular thing I've seen Baumbach do yet. I imagine these types of projects will only become more common as Netflix broadens its reach.