PDA

View Full Version : Thirdmango's Top 50 Television Shows of All Time!

Thirdmango
03-22-2008, 07:56 AM
That's right list-whores, here I am, that new guy Thirdmango, and I have a list for you. My Top 50 favorite television shows of all time. I am a television nut, I just adore the medium of television. Of course crap can come out of it as well, but I enjoy getting to know characters and being able to see them go from episode to episode. Give me lots of characters intertwined in some debacle and you have me going for a long time.

The largest problem with creating a list such as this is that most television shows take a very long time to watch and even re-watch again. Also some shows aren't done or I haven't seen it all, I am adding television shows which are in this category, which means that I am counting the show of up to the point I have seen it. Some shows will ultimately disappoint me and will fall far off the list. For example, you will not see the television show "Scrubs" in my top 50. It didn't quite make it onto the list, mostly due to the fact that though I liked the first couple seasons, when watching the later seasons I grew to find myself with a hatred for the current show. This was enough to bump it off the list. So a show which isn't done which is on the list could in essence later on be considered a "Scrubs" type show and fall off my list. But as for now this is the list which I've come up with in the past month and there hasn't really been any changes to it.

So with that aside, I won't say how fast I'm going to go because I am currently in a new situation as I just moved to Boston last week. I want to at least get the first two maybe three up this weekend. Then we'll see past that, but I hope to do 2-4 a week. Some of your favorites may or may not be on the list, I have a list of honorable mentions which I may or may not list depending on mood. Know that Scrubs is somewhere around 56 on the list. So anyways I hope everyone will enjoy as I go through my first list on Match-Cut.

Thirdmango
03-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Thirdmango's Top 50 Television Shows

50. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
49. Dragonball/Dragonball Z
48. Flight of the Conchords
47. Full Metal Alchemist
46. Code Monkeys
45. Smallville
44. Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast
43. 30 Rock
42. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
41. West Wing
40. Knowing Me Knowing You
39. Extras
38. Lucy Daughter Of The Devil
37. Heroes
36. Boston Legal
35. Psych
34. Avatar: The Last Airbender
33. Seinfeld
32. Clerks
31. Sealab 2021
30. Firefly
29. Arrested Development
28. Sports Night
27. Police Squad
26. The Simpsons
25. Bleach
24. FLCL
23. Monty Python's Flying Circus
22. The Tick
21. Freaks and Geeks
20. The Wire
19. Excel Saga
18. Dr. Katz
17. My Family
16. Curb Your Enthusiasm
15. Samurai Champloo
14. The Thin Blue Line
13. Naruto
12. Great Teacher Onizuka
11. The Critic
10. South Park
09. Star Trek: The Next Generation
08. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
07. The Venture Brothers
06. Mr. Show
05. Lost
04. The Office
03. Cowboy Bebop
02. Coupling
01. One Piece

Thirdmango
03-22-2008, 07:58 AM
#50 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/ph305.jpg

Just barely making it onto the list at number 50 is "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." This raucous comedy focuses on four sociopaths which all work in the same bar in Philadelphia as they take on all sorts of controversial topics and spin it with their own brand of antagonistic type humor. Joining the cast in season two is Danny Devito who rounds out the characters well as a just as bad Father to two of the bar owners.

The thing in which this show has done which not many have been able to do in the past is actually shock me into laughing. I've been an avid media viewer for about 10 years now and so shocking movies and television don't come up to often, but the way in which the writers of this show take a topic which has just about every taboo laid in it, and blow the whole thing out of the water is really quite interesting. It's refreshing to find a show which isn't trying to break the boundaries for the sake of breaking them, but doing it because they think it's funny.

Now sure the show has it's flaws and being as how I've only seen the first two seasons and having finished it's third season it may fall from grace. But currently it's doing pretty well for itself. The biggest problem is the mere fact that this show will only be funny to people who like humor where boundaries are pushed. Because of this less people will get into the show and find the brilliance of it after watching a couple of episodes. You know with titles to episodes such as "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom", most people won't even pick it up, and yet that episode is among my favorites. The twisting, the plotting and the scheming involved in that episode and the overall implementation of those plans had me floored for a while after watching it. I hope the show continues to do well cause at this point it has room for growth in my book and on my list.

Kurosawa Fan
03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I love that show. Great start.

MadMan
03-25-2008, 02:31 AM
From what I've seen "Philly" appears to be a pretty funny and twisted show. Being a big fan of TV myself I heartily approve of any Top Show list. Hopefully you don't drag yours out like I did with my favorite shows list though :lol:

Sven
03-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Seriously, more!

Philosophe_rouge
03-25-2008, 03:38 AM
I'm looking forward to more too! PLEASE :)

Sycophant
03-25-2008, 03:51 AM
I've been meaning to check out Sunny. But there's something about the show, that regardless of how much I read about it or hear about it, I can't retain even the littlest scrap of information about it. But once there's room on the queue, I'll throw it in.

Looking forward to the list. May it move faster than my top 100 is. I'd imagine there's some stuff coming up that should spur some interesting conversation.

Thirdmango
03-26-2008, 03:40 AM
#49 - Dragonball/Dragonball Z

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/dragonball-z.jpg

Dragonball Z was the first instance of a Japanese Cartoon that I ever witnessed. I became a fan of it in Jr. High and watched each episode missing only a few here or there. Eventually I got to the point where all the charging up between episodes was getting to me and I was having a hard time getting into it. But then I caught wind of Dragonball. The original series with a young Goku and his wacky adventures becoming a fighter as a young child with a monkey tail. The show had humor and interesting fights. Watching it now in Japanese with English subtitles is even better, and now going through the second series Dragonball Z in Japanese makes it much easier to swallow. I've picked up a couple of season dvds of both Dragonball and Z and enjoy them quite a bit. Dragonball more so then Z.

The fight scenes and the speed of Dragonball is a lot better and faster then the later seasons of Z which people tend to remember so vividly. But still my biggest problem with the show as is most people's biggest problem is that it takes forever for anything to happen. Too much filler, too much lag time. When they actually did fight some of the animation for it was great.

This is the only show on my list which is going to include both in the same number. The two shows though different in some ways since they fulfill the same basic storyline are still pretty much one and the same. For those who remember sorta enjoying Z, let me recommend the original sometime. It goes quicker and has a better story.

Thirdmango
03-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Hopefully you don't drag yours out like I did with my favorite shows list though :lol:

This week may go a little slow, but after this week there will be about 4-5 a week. Mostly on the weekends.

MadMan
03-26-2008, 06:01 AM
This week may go a little slow, but after this week there will be about 4-5 a week. Mostly on the weekends.Hey that will be a much faster pace than I took with a smaller list. So cool.

Also I have found memories of watching Dragon Ball Z as a kid. Good stuff indeed. Recently I discovered that Adult Swim was airing episodes of the show on Saturday nights. But they may not being doing that anymore as they do change their lineup a lot.

Thirdmango
03-29-2008, 07:02 AM
#48 - Flight of The Conchords

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/flightoftheconchords-1.jpg

This is a nice little show with funny little plots and enjoyable songs. The change from socially inept to suddenly rockin' singers is a nice segway into the songs and creates a nice mood for the show. The songs are particularly funny from an excellent Rap about Reality "Ain't no party like my nana's tea party." To being down to just your socks cause it's Business Time.

The highlights to the show besides the funny songs which you can play over and over to your friends is in the excellent supporting cast of the show. The Lovable band manager Murray. The Amazing Super Fan Mel. And the cool best friend Dave. They make the show just good enough to give some substance to the stories between the songs.

I have difficulty with the show in that personally I tend to forget most of the show, the bulk of the shows I just don't remember because it's not as memorable as I might like. But I keep going back to listen to a song here and there. Overall it's a fun show so far and I hope it does well in it's second season and goes as far as they have songs to make for it.

Sven
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I imagine that if I was a toker, I'd totally love Dragonball Z.

Also, props to Conchords. "You're so beautiful, you could be a waitress."

D_Davis
03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I like Sunny..., but I can't help but feel that it is a poor-man's Curb...

I also like Flight..., good stuff.

Qrazy
03-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I like Sunny..., but I can't help but feel that it is a poor-man's Curb...

Really? I find the humor fairly different. I like them both and think they each bring something worthwhile to the table although they both have their weaknesses as well.

MadMan
03-30-2008, 01:00 AM
I've only seen some clips on YouTube from the FOC show. But I think they are an awesome band and I look forward to eventually seeing the first season.

Thirdmango
03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
#47 - Full Metal Alchemist

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/full-metal-alchemist.jpg

This anime saddens me to no end. Not because of it's storyline or the characters but because of the fact that though I think most of the show is genius. The problem is that the ending is one of the worst endings ever.

The reason this anime was able to make my list is because of episodes 1-40. Amazing story telling, characters built really well with strong convictions and interesting sub-plots keeping you coming back for more. Even going back and watching the show again, the first 40 episodes make me excited to see what comes next. This anime is hailed among anime fans as being one of the best anime, and if they only counted these first 40 episodes I would agree.

However then the story feels like it loses all consistency. It's like the rug is taken out from under you and they try to rebuild what they just had and quickly finish it before any thing else can go wrong. They bring up a major plot point in the last three episodes which should have gotten many more episodes to explain it all. The reason for this apparently is that like many anime, it was following a manga, and around the episode 40 mark the show diverged from the manga and created it's own ending.

For how much I dislike how the show ended, I can not deny the amazing hold it had over me over the first 40 episodes. If the show had been allowed to continue on like the manga, though I have not read the manga, I think this show would be in my top 15 at least. An excellent show which was cut out short and unable to become what it really should have been.

Thirdmango
03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
#46 - Code Monkeys

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/CodeMonkeys.gif

Randomly last summer my cable started giving me G4 TV. A video game station which focused mainly on video gaming and what video gamers should do to be cool. As a whole the station was just plain awful except for two exceptions, one being Ninja Warrior, the other being this show Code Monkeys. This show has only gone on one season but has a second season in the future already lined up and I'm excited to see where it goes. The story follows a video game company in the early 1980s as they trying and make a name for themselves in the video game wars. The characters are done in 8-bit animation and the backgrounds in 16-bit, giving it the style of early video games. Most of the show feels like a video game as you watch it as it has references to all sorts of video games now a days. The show goes very close to toilet humor, but still is able to find some funny things to say and do in each episode.

The thing which I find most genius about the show is what Creator Adam De La Pena must have realized when he pitched the show to G4. You might recognize Adam's name as being the creator of short lived shows "I'm With Busey" and "Minoriteam". The problem with these type of shows is Comedy Central or Adult Swim are your only venues for these types of shows and it's such a race on both those stations that you could have one season and never be renewed. But the genius is in going to a station like G4, and knowing that your show will be safe from canceling because you're on a station that doesn't have anything anyways. A station which seems to be on almost every cable system now, but yet doesn't have diddly squat when it comes to programming. Finally he's found a place to do a show and not get it cancelled. Also it doesn't hurt to get someone like Dana Snyder (Master Shake) to do a voice for one of your characters too.

In writing this review I know that most reading this will probably dislike the show, but I think it's really quite funny and has the ability right now to become a pretty classic show.

Thirdmango
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I felt like doing two cause FMA is pretty negative. :)

MadMan
04-01-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm just not a fan of, or really interested in, TV anime. I've never even heard of #46 however.

Qrazy
04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm just not a fan of, or really interested in, TV anime. I've never even heard of #46 however.

Are you interested in/do you like anime films? Once you start falling in love with those you'll find some shows have a lot to offer.

Shows like Death Note, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc. Lots of quality stuff out there that can develop a broader story arc than a film because it has more time to do so.

Thirdmango
04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Are you interested in/do you like anime films? Once you start falling in love with those you'll find some shows have a lot to offer.

Shows like Death Note, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc. Lots of quality stuff out there that can develop a broader story arc than a film because it has more time to do so.

There will be some better anime choices further on in the list. So perhaps one of those would be a good place to start.

Lucky
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but Empire just released their list of 50 Greatest TV Shows (http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/default.asp?tv=50) and I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post the link.

Kurosawa Fan
04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but Empire just released their list of 50 Greatest TV Shows (http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/default.asp?tv=50) and I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post the link.

That list kicked off with Quantum Leap and Prison Break. I won't bother reading the rest.

Lucky
04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
That list kicked off with Quantum Leap and Prison Break. I won't bother reading the rest.

:)

Yeah, the top half is a little more reputable, but they have some odd inclusions and rankings.

Sycophant
04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but Empire just released their list of 50 Greatest TV Shows (http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/default.asp?tv=50) and I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post the link.In case anyone was worried about taking this list seriously, Heroes cracks the top 20.

Thirdmango, consider yourself warned.

EDIT: Additionally, it's hard for me to forgive an "all-time greatest" list by a magazine that completely neglects any black-and-white television or really any shows pre-eighties that aren't bonafide nerd classics, while paying a disturbing amount of tribute to shows of this decade. Easier for me to forgive a personal list written by a twenty-something.

MadMan
04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but Empire just released their list of 50 Greatest TV Shows (http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/default.asp?tv=50) and I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post the link.I'll look through this list later, although the fact that it has Heroes and Prison Break on it makes me wonder if the list is even valid.

Shows like Death Note, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc. Lots of quality stuff out there that can develop a broader story arc than a film because it has more time to do so.I've liked the few anime films I have seen, and I do love Cowboy Bebop. Perhaps that is true that after I dive into more of the films the shows will feel and seem more accessible.

Thirdmango
04-02-2008, 12:11 AM
In case anyone was worried about taking this list seriously, Heroes cracks the top 20.

Thirdmango, consider yourself warned.

No need to worry on that one.

But yeah I went through the list and disagreed with a lot of it. So you'll be getting a different list, though one in their top ten is about the same spot that I put in my top ten in fact looking at it's just one off. And only three others of that top ten are in my list at all. At places 25, 36 and 41.

Thirdmango
04-02-2008, 02:57 PM
#45 - Smallville

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/SmallvilleSeason6fullcast.jpg

Now here's a show I wish I didn't like, because it's full of beautiful people and quite a bit of bad acting. However, as the series progresses, the writers started getting into a groove and they put out some very interesting story lines and some of the actors can actually act.

The story of Superman has never been an interesting one, for how much of a super hero freak I am, I've never really liked Superman, and so I steered clear of this show until I saw an episode in the fourth season and found it to be pretty good. So I decided to check the show out, the first season is lame beyond belief. But as I said earlier, as time went on and the writers starting finding a niche they started creating some excellent story lines.

Of course without the supporting cast this show would not hold on it's own. Tom Welling who plays Superman is one of the worst actors on the planet. But yet the parents, Lex Luthor, Lionel, Chloe and Lana Lang are all played by some actually decent actors.

The thing I really like about this show is it brings a whole new spin to Lex Luthor. When the show is more focused on Lex, it becomes and interesting show, because he starts off as just a kid with a troubled past and you see the transformation of him actually turning into someone who could defeat Superman. Instead of making him the comic relief type villain that the character seems to become in almost every incarnation of Superman, in this show you see how Clark Kent basically created for himself the ultimate villain and had Clark not shown up in the first place, Lex would just be a troubled teen with lots of money. It makes the villain a lot more respectable.

This show was lame when it started but by the fourth season this show had some really good moments, of course now in it's seventh season it's becoming a lot more scatter brained. But it is a decent enough show if you find yourself wanting to get into it.

MadMan
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I gave up on Smallville after the first couple of seasons, when I felt the show was getting too silly. But yeah from what I saw it was fairly entertaining, and Tom Welling fit the role, as the role is basically a youthful version of Christopher Reeve's Superman.

DavidSeven
04-02-2008, 06:53 PM

It's a good thing you didn't get to the part where Seinfeld finishes outside of the top 10, one spot ahead of Family Guy and four spots behind Friends. That's really all you need to know.

Raiders
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Um, Twilight Zone?

Sycophant
04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Um, Twilight Zone?
I'm leaning towards thinking the list was actually a consensus of MySpace profiles.

Lasse
04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I downloaded an episode of Code Monkeys and it seemed exactly like my thing. :lol:

MadMan
04-03-2008, 05:10 AM
It's a good thing you didn't get to the part where Seinfeld finishes outside of the top 10, one spot ahead of Family Guy and four spots behind Friends. That's really all you need to know.WTF? Okay that list is officially invalid. Period. Stupid, stupid, people.

Thirdmango
04-04-2008, 04:45 AM
#44 - Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/spaceghost-713635.jpg

I remember watching a countdown that Cartoon Network was putting on of the greatest Super Heroes of all time. Superman came in second and some dink I had never heard of Space Ghost came in first. Of course unbeknownst to me at the time the whole countdown was a promotional tool to start off the amazing show Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast. I watched as the first episode aired and have been a fan ever since.

The coolest thing this show did for me is it prepared me for random humor. The first couple episodes aren't too random but as the show goes on it gradually became the level of Adult Swim programming of the early 2000s. Because of that, all those other shows were just that much more funny to me cause I had already been prepared for that sort of humor.

Looking back at the show now, the first couple seasons aren't really all that funny for me, probably because of the progression. The episodes which can still get me are those around Old Kentucky Shark, Flipmode and Knifin' Around. Right around there is where I feel the show was at it's best.

The thing which was just so good about this show is the use of celebrities on this crazy talk show. A cartoon host with actual real celebrities. It was sad when I found out it was scripted but of course how else could it have been as funny. But still just a really fine show which helped to mold a lot of what we see now a days.

MadMan
04-05-2008, 04:19 AM
I miss the awesomeness of Space Ghost. I wish that Adult Swim would air it again sometime. But I highly doubt they will. I was amazed when a month ago they randomly started airing reruns of SeaLab 2021.

Qrazy
04-06-2008, 07:46 AM
I really loved Spaceghost during my pot head days but re-watching now I find it's pretty hit and miss, mostly miss, still it was great back then... same thing with Harvey Birdman. Sealab was OK and I never warmed to Aqua Teen, in fact I still think it's total crap.

Thirdmango
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't worry anyone I'll be back with more on thursday. I have a back up now of about 10. Just don't have time now to upload the pictures and all that. :)

Thirdmango
04-11-2008, 08:01 AM
#43 - 30 Rock

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/30rock1.jpg

Tina Fey is a genius. Coming off of being a writer of SNL, and coming into such a good show, just writing what you know. That's what 30 Rock is, basically backstage at SNL. And wow, what funny stuff they've been able to do with the show. It's only gone through one and a half seasons so hopefully it'll be able to keep up it's constant humor.

Who knew Alec Baldwin could be so funny, I had no idea, and yet putting him into the show was a brilliant move. The acting in the show is done really well, each character easily could become the breakout character but yet they're able to keep them on a constant level so that the whole show benefits. Plus I really like the idea that many shows are doing now of having your writers be a part of the supporting cast. Which they can use to make good one off jokes and quick jabs here and there.

The first season was comic gold. The second season was still funny but it felt like they weren't quite sure where to go. Hopefully after this little break they can get it back together.

Kurosawa Fan
04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Last night's episode was brilliant.

DavidSeven
04-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I actually think the 2nd season is stronger or at least more consistently funny. Season one was good, but frequently uneven in the laughs department.

MadMan
04-11-2008, 05:29 PM
What I saw of Season 1 was pretty funny stuff. I eventually plan on seeing the entire show, especially since Alec Baldwin is great in it, along with Morgan, Fey, and the guy who plays the intern (he's in that picture). I can't remember his name...

Thirdmango
04-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Oh wow, that Milf island episode was awesome.

Thirdmango
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
#42 - Aqua Teen Hunger Force

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/ATHF.jpg

Aqua Teen Hunger Force. One of the most random shows ever created. The first season of this show was some of the funniest stuff I had ever seen when it first aired. It even had very excellent replay ability. I could watch the episodes over and over again and still like what was going on. But then I took a leave of absence from the random cartoon genre. I picked the show back up when the big boom of TV on DVD started happening.

The first season was just as good as I remembered it. Really good quotable lines. Then the second season still had some charm however Meatwad's voice changed and that bugged me slightly. And then it seemed that the writers got really full of themselves, thinking they were really funny cause they were for a while, and they start pulling out all the stops. Thus they lost the humor, because they at least had boundaries for themselves. Then when they realized they weren't funny they got slightly funny again. But not for too long.

What I love most about this show though is the first season and a couple of episodes into the second season. Just thinking about Happy Time Harry or The Bus of The Undead I start to giggle. If the other seasons were as good as the first couple episodes then this show would be much higher.

MadMan
04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Awesome. Simply awesome. I love ATHF (the movie will become a cult classic in time, just you wait), and I actually think the current season has been a return to form for the show. I must confess though that even though I've seen a good deal of the show I haven't really viewed anything from Season 5 for some strange reason.

Sycophant
04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I grew very exasperated with the show when everyone started bleeding like crazy and they began bleeping every other word. It was still kind of fun, but considering every Adult Swim show went down pretty much the same path, it wore on my relationship with the brand. I need to check back in with the show, see if I can take it again.

rocus
04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
My favorite Adult Swim show is Home Movies.

Sycophant
04-17-2008, 03:02 PM
My favorite Adult Swim show is Home Movies.
Yes. You are right.

MadMan
04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
My favorite Adult Swim show is Home Movies.Recently I got hooked on that show. The theme song is also pretty catchy too.

Kurosawa Fan
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Really? I've seen a couple episodes of Home Movies and I found it pretty annoying.

EvilShoe
04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Venture Bros is definitely my fav on adult swim.

Qrazy
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Venture Bros is definitely my fav on adult swim.

Ah yeah that one's pretty damn good, did they start a third season?

Thirdmango
04-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Third season hasn't started yet, but Venture Brothers is easily my favorite of adult swim line up, you can expect that one to be high on this list.

EvilShoe
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Ah yeah that one's pretty damn good, did they start a third season?
Not yet, according to Wikipedia it should start in June. :pritch:

MadMan
04-21-2008, 03:07 AM
I can't wait for Season 3 of Venture Brothers. Brock is my hero :lol:

Ivan Drago
04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
It's a good thing you didn't get to the part where Seinfeld finishes outside of the top 10, one spot ahead of Family Guy and four spots behind Friends. That's really all you need to know.

Direct me to Empire Records is published.

Thirdmango
04-28-2008, 09:20 AM
#41 - The West Wing

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/westwing.jpg

Here's a show I've only recently started watching, but how intelligent and entertaining this show is. This show is interesting in that it's opening me up to a side of life that I've never really thought too much about, that of the President and all the politics behind it. Bring the quick witted humor of Aaron Sorkin into this really fast paced show makes this show a good one in my book.

I admit that I've been somewhat late in writing this one, mainly due to the fact that I'm currently watching the series. I'm almost halfway through the fourth season. (Target was having a sale on the seasons so I picked up 4-7 for 20 dollars each.) And so far it seems to get tedious at times and long winded, but it has it's good moments too.

When I do watch the show, I almost feel like I'm learning something although I don't retain most of what they're talking about. But luckily they're still able to pull out good drama, like the whole incident with the shooter aiming for Charlie. Really good story-line there. I tend to find the only way I really like the show is when I take it small doses. If I try to marathon it, I get lost, plus I don't know all the terminology and I swear sometimes they just forget stories, either that or they resolve them and I miss where they did it. Still I'm entertained by it, and it can sometimes get a chuckle out of me.

Thirdmango
04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
#40 - Knowing Me Knowing You

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/alanpartridge1.jpg

Aha! What a brilliant concept for a television show. Put a straight change fearing man into a talk show format and have things go hay wire all over the place. Also make it all based on an Abba song and you've got comic gold. When I first put in this show, I was one who had to look it up on wikipedia after the first episode just to make sure it was fake. I figured it was, but I had to make sure.

I watched this show for the first time just a couple of months ago and it just blew me away how funny and interesting it was. You love Alan Partridge through the whole debacle and yet he totally deserves what he's getting. Watching the show now I can totally see how it's affected British television now a days. Use of awkward humor runs rampant. But oh how I love it so.

I haven't yet gotten through the follow up series "I'm Alan Partridge". I've been through one episode but I won't count that aspect of the show in this number as they seem to be two separate shows in the same universe. Still if you haven't had a chance to see this show, you really should, unless of course you don't like awkward humor of any sort.

MadMan
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I've never heard of #40. I tried to get into The West Wing but it just seemed too idealistic/liberal for my tastes. I liked what I saw though, mainly in terms of the acting on the show.

Thirdmango
05-11-2008, 04:45 PM
#39 - Extras

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/extras12.jpg

From the mind of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant came the show Extras, about a couple of people whom are extras for different productions. Each show had one or more famous actors or actresses playing themselves and doing a good job at that.

For me this show really was about the celebrities, I didn't care too much for the main stories of the actual actors of the show. But the amazing things that each of these regular actors would do, from Patrick Stewart's love of naked women, to Orlando Bloom's obsession of having girls like him, to Daniel Radcliffe and his one condom he has ready to go and Kate Winslet giving sex advice. But I believe the steal of the entire show was the episode with David Bowie singing the song about Gervais' character calling him a sad sad little man. Also I gotta say I love the thought that Stephen Fry deals drugs at awards shows.

The finale was a nice touch, it made me care a bit more about the actual characters and to finally see where their overall motivations were. The intense buildup that the reality tv show held was a nice way to the eventual blow up and overall decision of how the main character actually wanted to live his life.

Thirdmango
05-11-2008, 04:50 PM
#38 - Lucy Daughter of The Devil

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/lucydevil.jpg

This show has only gone through one season on Cartoon Network but oh what an amazingly brilliant show. From the minds that brought us Home Movies comes a show about the devil, who wears Cardigan sweaters and cares what people think. His daughter Lucy the Anti-Christ. Who is a indie type teenager who helps run a diner, and her boy friend The DJ Jesus, the second coming of our lord and master escape artist who plays mostly House Techno and likes to take easy, with his trusty tour manager Judas. Then there are the three priests who guard the DJ from afar and attack the demons that might try to kill the DJ.

The mix of the laid back style in which both the DJ and Satan are done, with the intensity of the other character in how important life is, makes a nice blend of television. I love the lines they give both characters like when Satan tries to Tempt The DJ with discounts at the mall. A nice touch is the overall violent nature of almost everyone else in the show, it's nice and fun and then blood and gore every where else. Also a nice touch is the change of opening song and title screens for each episode. I really hope this show goes on for a lot longer because it's really got a good going to it, and the people behind it are some really talented people too.

Thirdmango
05-11-2008, 04:56 PM
#37 - Heroes

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/heroes1.jpg

I adored the first season of this show. But first something you must know, when it comes to the ideas of super heroes, I am a super hero whore. I love the whole genre and have even been writing my own humor novel in that area. So when Heroes came around of people finding their own powers I was ecstatic. I watched each episode and couldn't wait until the next week for it to go again. Plus they brought about such interesting characters. From everyone's favorite Hiro, to one of the best bad guys ever Sylar and the really cool Mr. Bennitt who works from the inside. Even when they would do cheesy lines like "Save The Cheerleader Save The World" I thought, awesome, this can still be good. Unfortunately for them, they started doing inconsistencies. Nerds are going to pick up on that stuff so quickly, like the "bomb" going off mid day when Hiro goes in the future but yet it happens at night in the season ending. Still after that I had hope. I even had hope with the start of the second season especially Hiro in feudal Japan. But then they started messing with the show, doing things to "please" the fans and trying to quickly finish the season before the writer's strike, killing what could have been an interesting storyline about the pasts of the Heroes that came before. Even the reveal of "The Nightmare Man" at the end of season one I thought was interesting and could be developed so well and yet it was the lamest story ever.

The reason this show is so high is because of how much I loved the first season. I was a die hard so quickly and now it's this low because of how hard I fell from watching the second season. I'm of course going to watch the third season hoping they can fix things and make the show interesting again, but if not I'm afraid the show will fall further and further in my eyes. I'm not giving up hope yet, like I know many of you have, but it's only because of my ties to the genre.

Thirdmango
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
This looks to be the way I'm going to have to do them until we get to the top ten, about 3-4 at a time on saturday or sunday each week.

ledfloyd
05-11-2008, 08:27 PM
nice call on Knowing Me Knowing You. great screencap.

Sycophant
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
The TVDT got me thinking I needed to come in here and hate on heroes. The end of season one and the beginning of season two were so awful, that it underscored the always-there flaws in the first parts of season one. I don't think it was always a horrible show, but it succumbed to its worst qualities in a way that make the entire thing unpalatable for me now.

I also believe you haven't watched The Sopranos and can not really consider you a "TV Guy" until you have. You're welcome to the title again when you've watched it, but I'll continue reading this list with (condescending) interest.

http://whatnot.bombdotcom.net/shit/mc/giantwink.gif

Thirdmango
05-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah I know, I actually started it, but the first disc did little to peak my interest so I didn't continue. I've been meaning to give it a second chance.

You're getting a lot today, I wanna pound this one out to get to the bigger numbers.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 02:51 PM
#36 - Boston Legal

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/boston_legal.jpg

I have a serious man crush on both William Shatner and James Spader, and to have the two of them together just melts my little heart. Boston Legal is a fun little show on being lawyer in Boston and taking on cases to prove some sort of liberal view point. It's a fun romp with some awesome actors and actresses. Shatner and Spader are by far the best thing about this show. The comic timing between the two of them and their impressive styles of acting just blends so well and keeps you happy with everything they do. Candice Bergen is also nice to have on the show, and the slew of others keeps the show fresh. The only problem with that is how quickly some of the characters come and go, being a fan of Night Court as a kid it's good to see John Laroquette on the show now. Though also being a big fan of Rene Auberjonas it's sad to not have him on the show any more being the level headed one in the bunch.

This show is just nice in a way of watching an episode now and again and never really having to deal with anything to serious. It was a nice change for the third season to try and do a eight episode or so story line, but usually they just tend to keep it episode by episode. The show is just a nice silly blend of liberal politics and funny banter, which if watched too much can get quite a bit tiring, but if kept to low volume is a nice change from everything else. I doubt this show will ever get much higher on my list then it is now, but I don't see it falling either.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
#35 - Psych

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/psych-show.jpg

In only two seasons the show Psych easily climbed high on the list and keeps me laughing with each new episode. A show about an over observant guy who always wanted to be a PI, is able to convince people he's a psychic and so it solves mysteries with his "psychic" powers. The thing that really makes this show great is the lovable writing behind it and the way in which it is done on screen. Every episode has some sort of quotation that fills me with so much glee. "I feel like an angel baby swaddled in a cocoon of cloud candy". Plus having Dule Hill as the down to earth sidekick keeps the show from falling to far to one side. The show is fun and enjoyable and doesn't get preachy. The best moment so far however has been at the midway point through the second season on the Kevin Sorbo episode, where the main character does an almost kiss with the female police officer. The tension is built so fantastically and makes me want to come back for more. The show is just a nice silly show which gives you some nice belly laughs. Plus it's on USA so it has little chance of ever being cancelled which is nice.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 02:54 PM
#34 - Avatar

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Avatar.jpg

I was hesitant to start watching this show on Nickelodeon until I found out that the creator of the show had only intended there to be three seasons and that it was going to end soon. So I picked it up and was immediately surprised at how intelligent a show it is, even if it is for kids. It follows a nice over arching story line about fueding nations and the different elements and about the main character Ang who is the Avatar, an airbender who is supposed to keep the peace in the world, but just a kid and frozen in ice for the past 100 years, the world has gone into chaos because of the fire nation. Some water benders find Ang and then they go on an adventure to save their nation as well as to stop the Fire Lord from destroying the planet. The show keeps the interesting story line but also gives it an air of lightness to it which keeps it from taking itself to seriously which is nice. You get to see what it would be like if you were a ten year old kid who was supposed to save the world, when all you want to do is go outside and play. The length of the show is excellent, and with just four episodes left to air in the entire series, it's gearing up for an excellent finale of which I'm sure will be able to satisfy. The other great part of the show is following the other main character the banished Prince Zuko of the fire nation as he tries to make a name for himself by defeating the Avatar and being able to return to his family in honor. Though a part of the bad guys you feel for the character and you want him to succeed even though you want the avatar to succeed as well. Usually you tend to find stories like this which only have a specific number of episodes in Japanese Animation, so it's nice to find it coming through in American Animation too.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
#33 - Seinfeld

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/seinfeld46.jpg

A show which is on almost every top tv list and rightly so is Seinfeld. A show about four zany characters who bring to light all the foibles of the modern man in light hearted ways. Each episode gears around some sort of faux pas or just about any subject and sees which way it can be taken by normal people. The show is funny and just keeps you laughing through the entire run. My favorite episode is the Contest, where all four see which can last the longest and be "Master of their domain". Seinfeld is just a funny show and with Larry David writing how can it not be.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:04 PM
#32 - Clerks

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/clerks.jpg

Clerks the animated series only ran for six episodes and only showed one episode on television, that one episode my friends and I watched. The brilliance of this show lies in it's second episode, the episode which you'll find in every show, the flashbacks episode, retelling of the series so far. The humor of this show is just so great, it makes fun of itself and others without a care in the world. Also the fifth episode with Judge Reinhold and The trial of the century, it makes me sad the show was never really able to get off it's feet. But it's probably for the best as six episodes is about enough for this movie turned animated show. Also who couldn't love Charles Barkley getting belittled by kids.

"They gave us five dollars, I wish this trial would never end."

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
#31 - Sealab 2021

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Sealab_murphy_poster_revolu.jp g

Out of all the ten minute adult swim/williams street programming, my favorite is Sealab 2021. From the amazingly quotable Happy Cake Oven episode to the Uh Oh song, this show keeps me laughing no matter how absurd it got. "For me it was like a return to the womb, I was absorbed by mother ocean, in all it's wondrous glory." I watched CHiPs a lot in my early teenage years so having Erik Estrada on the show helped to make it the best in that kind of humor.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
#30 - Firefly

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/firefly_cast_small.jpg

Now here's a show in which I actually think it's best the way it is. I would have liked to see more, but having it end where it did is a nice way to end it out. The show could have done more but I like it where it ends. This is a show which is often times very over rated, I don't know how many people I know who claim this is their favorite television show of all time. I even know one guy who named his first daughter Kaylee. The show deserves some praise as it is actually a quite good show, it's enjoyable from episode to episode and has some good overarching story-lines. My favorite is that of Malcolm's "wife" Saffron. It was also nice to have a married couple be on the show instead of having so many single people to do relationships with. Plus to have a shepherd book and his sordid past was a nice twist. So over all it is an excellent show, and should be watched by all, but as it is number 30 on my list, not as high as most would put it.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:10 PM
#29 - Arrested Development

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Arrested.gif

This show could have been saved had the "loyal fan base" been around when the show was actually on the air. Anyways, this show has done wonders for all who were on it and it was a funny mix of humor which you didn't often see at the time. Having lots of characters and having them all live in a house with very one sided lives was nice. A truly dysfunctional family living off of their insane imbalances. Really quoteable, really funny show. The first season is the best, from there on out it's not as good but it's still enjoyable. I've seen the first season probably about 12-15 times through.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:13 PM
#28 - Sports Night

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/SportsNight-1.jpg

I just went through this series again, and I can say I just love the character development and the writing between the characters. That's what this show is about, it's not about a Sports show, it's about the people who run the show, and their lives, and it's an enjoyable experience from start to finish. The length of the show is nice, though I know they wish they could have gone longer, I actually like how short it is, because it gets about everything they needed to do out of the characters and doesn't really keep any lose ends.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
#27 - Police Squad

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/1-police-squad-in-color-logo.jpg

Police Squad in Color! Oh my I was dying when I first watched this show in my early teenage years, only six episodes but truly a show worthy of praise. This kind of humor went over to movies in the Naked Gun movies and Airplane, but it's always been suited better for television. It was just over the top with lines that make sense but no one would ever say them. Now that it's on DVD I was able to go back and relive it and it's just as good as I remember it, plus it has some great guest stars dying at the beginning of each episode, who couldn't love that?

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
#26 - The Simpsons

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/simpsons.jpg

This show has been on the air way too long. Had it ended a long time ago it may have been higher on my list. Of course I'm sure they don't really care where on my list they are. But this show was truly genius back in the day. From about seasons 4 to the beginning of 8 this show was flawless. When Conan O'Brien was at the helm it was genius writing and super funny. My favorite episode is in the fifth season of Homer Goes To College, I've probably seen that episode 40 times. The start of the show wasn't all that funny but it was groundbreaking, and the episodes now I'll watch every now and again and they have funny moments but nothing as good as their prime. I've only bought the fifth, sixth and eighth season, and will probably buy the seventh and fourth and be done.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Well now with that marathon I am halfway done. Any ideas on how the top 25 will pan out?

Sycophant
05-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Well now with that marathon I am halfway done. Any ideas on how the top 25 will pan out?I don't know man. You just burned through a fair chunk of what I thought would be top-ten material for you.

South Park hasn't made an appearance yet, right? DuckTales? Freaks & Geeks?

I saw a fair chunk of what I think was the first episode of Psych. I don't see myself going back.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Yup South Park and Freaks are still on their way. Duck Tales didn't make it though.

Sycophant
05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Yup South Park and Freaks are still on their way. Duck Tales didn't make it though.If it weren't for your bizarrely cute/disturbing Kirby avatar, I'd say hurtful things about DuckTales's omissions vs. Heroes's inclusion.

Thirdmango
05-21-2008, 04:00 PM
If you really thought about it I'm sure you could get about five of my top ten. Two of them should be on everyone's top ten, two you should know from how obsessed I am with them, and one you've already gotten. The other five you'd have to think really hard and go deep to figure them out before they come along.

Saya
05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Well now with that marathon I am halfway done. Any ideas on how the top 25 will pan out?

Well, I hope The X-Files is in the top ten. :)

Avatar is one of those shows I've heard a lot of positive things about, but never really had the time to check it out myself.

rocus
05-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm assuming that you've saved all tv shows before the 90's for the top 25. You do realize that they had tv back then, right? ;)

I believe someone mentioned The Twilight Zone, I'd second that.

Thirdmango
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm assuming that you've saved all tv shows before the 90's for the top 25. You do realize that they had tv back then, right? ;)

I believe someone mentioned The Twilight Zone, I'd second that.

Heh heh, before the 90s eh? Well there aren't many. But to spoiler, I've never actually seen an episode of the Twilight Zone, just the movie.

But I finished up to number 13 last night, so I'll probably do one or two a day from here on out until the top 10.

Thirdmango
05-22-2008, 03:17 PM
#25 - Bleach

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/bleach.jpg

Bleach is one of the current running long form animes out there, and this one is about spirit samurai. That's right, you heard it here first. This show is about spirit particles and the dead and soul suckers, but luckily there are souls to protect us from all that, and they are all samurai. So the story revolves around one guy, one Kurosaki Ichigo, as finds himself attuned to the spirits and becomes able to be a spirit samurai when needed. He has a couple of friends who also join him and they all fight bad monsters as well as find themselves caught up in a plot between Soul Society, a planned Society full of lots of samurai, and someone evil who comes around to destroy the world. The story sounds silly, and frankly it is, but getting past that this show has a lot to it which makes it worthwhile to watch. That is if you are into that sort of thing. What keeps me going back for more is one the animation and fights. They have some really cool fights between characters, people pull out their special moves and become more bad ass and after watching a couple episodes of that you feel pumped up. Two I am a sucker for lots of characters and character building. If you give me a character and build them up and give them a lot of stuff to do, I love it, but then if you add to that and do it over and over again, then I like it even more. Although, this one has a bit too many characters to deal with that hopefully if they ever do finish the show they can wrap it up nicely. Third this show has an awesome Hero of the story. Often times the hero for me is too much and I like the other characters more, but they make this guy with an aura of red and black, make most of his weapons very evil and keep him struggling to find good in himself, it makes for a good hero who could easily turn villain on you. But lastly what this show has which is really good is an excellent build up into an excellent reveal of the main villain of the story. The overall bad guy isn't revealed for a while and though you think it's someone the story fools you and suddenly you find yourself in the middle of a conspiracy and the reveal for the villain makes it that much more interesting. He's super bad ass and you wonder if Ichigo can get his bad ass meter high enough to face him. Basically the show is lots of characters and lots of action with a convoluted story, but it's still fun as long as you skip the filler episodes. Stick to the episodes which follow the manga and you should be good. It's also very long and has no signs of stopping any time soon, but being able to have a nice weekly show is a plus to it for me.

Qrazy
05-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I've been meaning to get into Bleach for a while now... but still haven't... well some day.

Spinal
05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
#27 - Police Squad

More people should see this. It's great.

Winston*
05-23-2008, 12:53 AM
The Simpsons is so good that it can suck for 10 years and still be the best show of all time.

Sycophant
05-23-2008, 01:12 AM
I hate Sopranos-style Simpsons artwork with a passion.

transmogrifier
05-23-2008, 05:24 AM
I hate Sopranos-style Simpsons artwork with a passion.

Seems like a weird thing to hate with a passion. Mosquitoes? Sure. Small children? Okay. That? :confused:

Sycophant
05-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Seems like a weird thing to hate with a passion. Mosquitoes? Sure. Small children? Okay. That? :confused:Dude, life is about the little things.

transmogrifier
05-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Dude, life is about the little things.

Like mosquitoes and small children?

Qrazy
05-23-2008, 08:23 AM
The Simpsons is so good that it can suck for 10 years and still be the best show of all time.

QFT

Qrazy
05-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Like mosquitoes and small children?

What do you have against small children?

Thirdmango
05-25-2008, 06:22 AM
#24 - FLCL

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/FLCL.jpg

From a long form anime (Bleach) to the short form anime, FLCL is one of the best. Just six episodes long, but chock full of excitement and scored by a really cool japanese band called "The Pillows", this show has got it. Each time I watch it, I get the really weird story a little bit better but still I have little idea of what it's all about as a whole. The show also does well in that it keeps getting better in retrospect, like tasting and aged wine. Though I don't know what an aged wine tastes like, I would assume it's like thinking back on the glory that is FLCL.

Thirdmango
05-25-2008, 06:25 AM
#23 - Monty Python's Flying Circus

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Python.jpg

I still haven't seen the entirety of this show, but owning the complete series does help to facilitate that. But this show is the core to humor now a days, most comedy can be somehow linked back to this show, and it shows in how funny it is even now. The Monty Python crew scored and just kept doing good bit after good bit with this show. I'm sure I don't have to go to into it since most have seen at least a sketch or two, but the more I watch it the more I like it.

Thirdmango
05-25-2008, 06:28 AM
#22 - The Tick

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Tick.jpg

Spoon! The Tick hit me one saturday morning like a ton of bricks and I could never get myself out from under it's weight, this show has so much good to it, it's funny, the character development is good and it can follow stories across episodes. Each episode just kept getting better and I still can't believe how good it was for being a saturday morning cartoon. This show was one of the main parts in getting me interested in super heroes, and if I could compare the novel I'm currently writing to any television show, this one it would resemble the most. The Tick was just phenomenal with great super heroes and great villains. A real treat. It's Neat!

transmogrifier
05-25-2008, 09:27 PM
What do you have against small children?

I taught them once. They are evil. That's all you need to know.

Sycophant
05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
FLCL is pretty much the best thing ever. Even if it wasn't originally a TV show, technically.

Thirdmango
05-27-2008, 01:01 AM
#21 - Freaks and Geeks

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/fraks-and-geeks.jpg

It wasn't until college that I first watched this show but I couldn't put it down once I started. Then when I found myself at the end I desperately wanted more because of how finely crafted this show was and how it kept me involved in the characters lives. I felt connected both to the Geeks which felt like my late elementary years and the Freaks which felt somewhat like my early high school years. Characters which I could relate with, just trying to find themselves and find love. When it comes to relating with characters this one comes pretty close and you find yourself just happy to have experienced the journey with them.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:21 AM
#20 - The Wire

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/TheWire.jpg

I never thought I would like a show about drugs and gangs, but when I first picked up The Wire, thanks to Sycophant, I found myself really able to get involved in the stories of these people. It felt grim and real and that's what I initially liked about the show, however it was mostly due to having lots of characters and interweaving them into interesting stories which kept me hooked. The fourth season especially which was the season which blew my mind was able to keep me entertained through out the entirety. I have unfortunately been unable to watch any of the fifth season as of yet, so I have no idea how it ends but I can only hope it'll be good television. I can't read The Wire forum here for that fear of being spoilered. My one fault with the show is that it is much more of a long form movie then a tv show and that the rewatchability for me is very low. I think I could watch the whole series just once more with a girlfriend but then after that I doubt I'd watch it again. But as a one time through it is fantastic.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:25 AM
#19 - Excel Saga

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Excel-Saga-0003-1.jpg

The anime which parodies all other anime and does it in such a way that you just feel happy to be watching it. I'm currently watching another parody anime and it has no where near as funny and amusing moments then Excel Saga does. Excel Saga is just a romp of insane Japanese culture which even though I still don't understand all the things going on, I still like it a lot and keep going back to random episodes just to see which random hilarity will ensue. Now even though it is a parody of all other anime, it has a good story taboot, and so this makes it a pretty good series in my book.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:29 AM
#18 - Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/DrKatz.gif

The dry humor and wit that comes from Dr. Katz is something which I absolutely love. Mixing the foibles of actors and actresses in the therapist setting and then adding in the daily lives of Dr. Katz's cast of characters has kept me smiling and watching any time it came on. I was enamored with the show when I first watched it in it's early stages on comedy central and the complete series is near the top of my to buy list. Many of my friends may find it odd that it's this high as I never really talked about it, but it's been one of my favorite shows for many years now.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:33 AM
#17 - My Family

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/myfamily.jpg

Because I really liked British Humor I decided to Netflix the first season of the long running BBC comedy My Family, and I'm glad I did. Though it's just a normal plot of a british family, the writing and acting is really good and keeps me laughing through out each episode. It's interesting to me that The Brits can take the token sitcom and make it funnier then any token sitcom the US puts out. My favorite character is that of the oldest son Nick who does some really outrageous stuff but still keeps himself endearing. I was able to tivo the show on BBC america for a couple of months and so I've seen most of the show now and I now have in my possession the first two seasons and I highly recommend it. It's just light and funny and british.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:37 AM
#16 - Curb Your Enthusiasm

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/curb_2-1.jpg

Larry David is a mad genius. He took what was good about Seinfeld, and took it to HBO and made it better. Following the semi-ficitious life of himself and taking his own thoughts and bringing them to life. He'll bring up social faux pas which I absolutely agree with but never thought to vocalize them. The show blends really well the line of humor and awkwardness into one lump of good television. Not having to censor the show has also made the show better then Seinfeld because it was able to go in more directions available. Then there is the entirety of the fourth season which is just phenomenal. I wasn't sold on the show until i watched the fourth season and then I quickly went out and bought all the seasons of the show. It's a show which is able to hit close to home because among my friends and family I've thought of many of these things. For instance in the sixth season Cheryl leaves Larry over something very trivial which makes me think of a good friend who fears his wife leaving him when one days he says the word "Bamango." Because it can happen to Larry there's a chance it could happen to him too.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:49 AM
#15 - Samurai Champloo

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/samurai_champloo_04-1.jpg

The second show from creator Shinichirō Watanabe, Samurai Champloo, is a very finely crafted anime which is able to follow a really interesting story and mix in fuedal japan with a cool modern feel to it. It's interesting because they're able to take something as simple as three people searching for a man who smells as sunflowers. Something so simple, and make it into something so interesting and thought provoking. The format of having just 26 episodes really does wonders for this show as it is just long enough to keep you guessing and short enough to keep you interested. From this show and Cowboy Bebop which will come up later, I'm watching out for this guy to see what other things he will make.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:53 AM
#14 - The Thin Blue Line

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/thinblueline.jpg

I first saw this show in high school, PBS would show episodes of Mr. Bean which is how I first got to know Rowan Atkinson, but I didn't really like Mr. Bean that much, but then they started showing a couple episodes of this show, another one with Rowan Atkinson as a police officer and I found it intriguing. I only saw about three episodes but it was enough to stay in my memory for a long time until I netflixed the show and fell in love. Now owning the whole series I find it to be interesting and funny. Over the top and able to stay level when it needs to, it's my favorite offering from Rowan Atkinson. The length of the series is a plus too as it's not too long and doesn't wear out it's welcome. Funny show here.

Thirdmango
05-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Alright, 13 more to go. I'll try and possibly finish by either this weekend or next weekend.

Thirdmango
06-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I finished all the reviews so this will be done by this weekend.

Sycophant
06-02-2008, 04:12 PM
From this show and Cowboy Bebop which will come up later, I'm watching out for this guy to see what other things he will make.Good. For some reason, I thought you were one of those crazy guys who actually considered SC superior to CB. Which is crazy.

Qrazy
06-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Good. For some reason, I thought you were one of those crazy guys who actually considered SC superior to CB. Which is crazy.

Agreed... still Champloo is pretty rocking.

Well now that you've told me all those shows are better than The Wire they have pretty big shoes to fill... and if they're not better I will hunt you down.

Sycophant
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Agreed... still Champloo is pretty rocking. Oh, yes, absolutley. Though I still think its chief glaring flaw is the placement of its two extra-continuity, throwaway episodes were placed right before the three-part finale. Cowboy Bebop wisely placed "Toys in the Attic" at episode 11, not in the midst of all the characters' stories winding down. But I love Champloo dearly.

Thirdmango
06-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Agreed... still Champloo is pretty rocking.

Well now that you've told me all those shows are better than The Wire they have pretty big shoes to fill... and if they're not better I will hunt you down.

Yeah, I knew there'd be that kind of reaction, but I could not put The Wire above those shows.

Sycophant
06-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I knew there'd be that kind of reaction, but I could not put The Wire above those shows.There's something coming up on this last that I'm going to hate you for. I just know it.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 01:53 AM
There's something coming up on this last that I'm going to hate you for. I just know it.

Looking at my list, and what shows I know you've watched as far as the ones you've watched you'll be pleased with. There are a couple I know you haven't seen, so that will be "to be determined".

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:44 PM
#13 - Naruto

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/naruto.jpg

Naruto is another one of the current long form animes out right now. This one follows a young outcast boy who longs to become the leader of his village and his rise of being a ninja. The anime has lots of characters all of which with their own powers and fighting styles. The animation of which is really good especially during the fight sequences. There is one particular fight scene around episode 48 or so which pits two characters Rock Lee Versus Garra. This fight is so well done that everyone I've talked to who's seen it, become super fans of the show. The show isn't just fight scenes though there are some really good ones. The character development is a big thing about the show including even the smaller characters. My favorite of the smaller characters, a fat kid named Choji, has his own story of becoming a ninja and saving his friends in a time of need. The villains of the show are an interesting twist to the show and a thing for each of the characters to strive to beat. Be wary however of the filler episodes, skipping them is your best bet. Of all the long form animes, this one is the easiest to get into as it has the most going on at first. Later on it gets a bit more drug out, but by then you're already a fan of the show so it's not too big of a deal.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
#12 - Great Teacher Onizuka

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/grab2.jpg

Great Teacher Onizuka is the story of a badass who wants to become the best teacher he can be. It's a simple idea and somehow the creators are able to pull off an awesome and heartfelt anime out of it. You watch Onizuka and you think, "I wish this guy was my teacher." Because not only his incredibly loyal, but he'll teach you some valuable life lessons along the way. Plus he has a healthy addiction to big breasts. As someone who also likes big breasts, I can understand where he's coming from. I've only been through the series once, but I hope it'll be just as good going through it again. This anime also has one of the best opening songs, the first one "Driver's High" is in my top three favorite anime songs.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
#11 - The Critic

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/critic.jpg

I adore Jay Sherman and his views of film. Taking my love of the Simpsons and refining my humor, the Critic came along at a good time. I loved the show and when it came out as a complete series I jumped on it. This is one show which I think really should have gone for a little bit longer, but what can you do. The humor of this show melded me with such amazing lines and conversations such as,

"Well they won't get the silverware, I glued them to the ceiling."
"Dad I understand the silverware, but why the dog?"
"You understand the silverware? Cuckoo Cuckoo."

Brilliance.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:52 PM
#10 - South Park

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/SouthPark.gif

I never thought I'd get into this show as much as I have, but I really love this show. I think it all started when I saw the brilliance that was the Scott Tenorman Must Die episode. Then there was Butter's own episode and then the KoRn episode. One I had watched those three episodes I was hooked. For a long while there the only way I could find I could fall asleep was to put on a television show in my dvd player and fall asleep to the episodes, since the menu screen of the South Park dvds didn't have any sound to bother roommates or wake me up later, this show became the main show I would watch before going to bed. A self brain washing perhaps or maybe just the overall quality of the show keeps me coming back. Now sure it has been getting worse as time passes. They hit their peak a while ago but I find about the same level of humor from the stuff that comes out now with the first two seasons. As I've seen the episodes so many times I could probably do my own list on favorite episodes, regardless I love this show and probably always will.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
#09 - Star Trek: The Next Generation

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/TNG.jpg

This was the first show I ever watched religiously. My mother was a fan of the show already and I remember as a kid getting into the show as it was being aired around the third season. The differences in the characters and yet such loyalty in each other was what really intrigued me as a kid, also the vastness of the universe in which the overall story took place. What helped this show for me was how many times they showed reruns. I had seen every episode by the time I got around to buying the dvds. Still watching the episodes gives me the giddiness I felt as a kid when some revelation for the episode was discovered. I'm still amazed at the overall story that was created out of the Star Trek universe, and this show helped get me into television in the first place.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
#08 - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/DS9logo.jpg

Coming just barely above The Next Generation for me is my favorite series of Star Trek, that being Deep Space Nine. Everything I've said so far on the universe of the shows can be used to describe my love of this show as well. However I can answer at least for myself the age old debate of which one is better. The thing is, The Next Generation took a ship of character whom had an overall mission but each episode was it's own little story and besides the big things that happened to the characters, there was very little overlap episode to episode. So watching an episode here and there, if you don't miss the major plot point episodes then you won't find you've missed anything. However when it comes to Deep Space Nine, the creators decided on a central location, so the finding stories planet to planet no longer was the fall back. You had to find things to do on the space station and so the overall story line became more involved and much more interesting. This show deals a lot with Waring species and religious contexts among different races. Because of this, watching an episode here or there wasn't as rewarding as watching the show all the way through. The last season especially follows a season long arc of war which is really well done and involving. The relationships between the characters became much stronger, because they had to rely on each other in such debilitating times and you got more of a sense of living with the crew instead of just watching them. This is why the seven seasons of DS9 is my favorite series of Sci-Fi out there.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
#07 - The Venture Brothers

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/VentureBros.jpg

It may be a bit risky of me to put the Venture Brothers this high on the list, but after the phenomenal second season of this show I doubt there's a way this show will not meet my expectations. The first season was good but it was more of a feeling out period and then the second season hit and every episode was just phenomenal. The amazing writing with the overlap that occurs just blows me away. At the moment this is my favorite thing Cartoon Network has put out, and I just hope and pray that the third season and beyond is as good if not better then the second season. The second season is one of the most finely crafted seasons of television.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
#06 - Mr. Show

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/I_mr-show_color.jpg

I mentioned earlier on the South Park review that I would watch that show before going to bed, this show was the other show which I ended up doing that with. The episodes just keep getting better and better each time I watch them. There are very few bits of which I've gotten sick of and that's saying something for a sketch comedy show. As far as sketch comedy goes, this show is easily my favorite. The third season I feel is where they are at their best and my favorite episode is the Hurky Jerky episode with the amazing bit of the west coast vs. east coast puppeteers. I was lucky enough to find a complete set sale at Best Buy for just 40 dollars and what stinks is I may have to buy another season three as I've watched the dvds too much.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:07 PM
#05 - Lost

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Lost-season2mynd3.jpg

There is not enough I can say about the amazingness that this show has become. Going from the first two seasons which had some interesting interactions to becoming a mind blowing explosion that is the third and fourth seasons. It's amazing to see what they've been able to do with the simple premise of crashed survivors on an island. This show like many that have come before on this list, appeases my needs to have lots of characters and lots of character development. It also holds me in by creating lots of speculations and mysteries to solve. What really helps this show is the timing of it and being able to have lots of help from developing fan bases on the internet and constant speculation going on. Where shows like Heroes have tried to use this but screwed up, Lost has used it as an advantage. The other thing is they treat every character as important. My three favorite characters them being Locke, Ben and Desmond, may not be someone else's favorite characters. But each of those three are used as much as say Jack, Kate and Sawyer. They're all important in the terms of the show. This show can also do something to me which started in episodes of Star Trek and very few shows have been able to do since and that is make me jump out of my seat saying "No Way!" Fill me so full of excitement by the developments they're able to make. Any show that can do that is high in my book.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:11 PM
#04 - The Office

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/Office.jpg

This show is pure beauty for me. Only 14 episodes and yet so heart felt that I can't help tearing up at the ending every time. The awkward humor of the show is fantastic, but as the show goes on you begin to realize that these are real people with real feelings. The other thing which I've realized is they use the camera man as another actual character, one in which has come into this place where real people have been working but putting them in front of a camera changes them. You watch David Brent who is obviously the boss of a company and without the camera in front of him, he can excel, but the mere ability to have the camera there completely screws up his life there. Then there is the great relationship of Dawn and Tim which seemingly goes no where until Tim is able to make the grandest gesture into one of the best filmed coming togethers in the last episode. It wasn't until I watched the last episode that the true nature of the show came together for me. The length of the show is one of the best aspects of it, and makes it such an amazing piece of work.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
#03 - Cowboy Bebop

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/CowboyBebopPo.jpg

The 26 episode journey of the crew of Cowboy Bebop is one of the most beautiful things to come out of the television. The story is one of genius, and the fifth episode which is my favorite episode of the series just pulls everything together. All up until the final moments of the show. One of the best things about the show is the amazing usage of the soundtrack to furthers the story, using jazz music to makes this space cowboy show into something more then itself. This show is what sold me on the concept of anime. With the simplicity of it, the few characters but their overall interactions are just so worthwhile. Everyone should watch this show all the way through at some point in their life.

Sycophant
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Our friend, Mark, frequently told me I should get around to watching Lost. Then I lent him The Wire. Then he told me not to bother, that there was really no point in me watching Lost after seeing something like The Wire.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
#02 - Coupling

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/coupling.jpg

I don't know what it is about this show, but I love it with all my heart. The amazing sexual humor that goes along with these characters is priceless. Just six characters which complement each other so well and the most amazing lines given to them it makes this my favorite comedy show of all time. I've memorized almost every episode as the jokes still get me when they're said. My favorite episode however is the eighth episode of the second season, "Naked". The best of the best when it comes to Jeff. Jeff is the best awkward character ever created. One thing which does set this one apart is no show that I know of besides this one has a character like "Permanently Ready" Patrick. A tripod of epic proportions. I am enamored by this show and disappointed at it's length, but I'm still glad I do have what there is of the show. This is the only show in which I actually have had to buy a new dvd of a season I already own due to overuse.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Our friend, Mark, frequently told me I should get around to watching Lost. Then I lent him The Wire. Then he told me not to bother, that there was really no point in me watching Lost after seeing something like The Wire.

Yeah, I talked with him about it too, and I don't agree, but then he still hasn't seen any of the fourth season. But I still think he'd choose The Wire. Though The Wire and Lost are on very different spectrums.

Hmmm, Just one more...

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
#01 - One Piece

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/thirdmango/Top%2050%20TV/one_piece.jpg

This here is my number one show of all time, now it's probably a surprising one for most of you as I'm sure many of you haven't watched it all the way through, or even if you did watch some of it you weren't all that impressed. Well let me say that there is no show that has made me tear up, smile and cheer more then this show has. For those that don't know, One Piece is another long form anime about a crew of pirates on a world that is mostly covered in water. It starts with one character named Luffy, a boy with one simple goal, he wants to be the Pirate King. There was a Pirate King before and he said if you had the item called One Piece you would then become the Pirate King. So that is what Luffy wants, and to get it he needs a pirate crew. So the story involves Luffy finding each member of his crew and going on adventures as they become one of the most well known pirate crews in the world. This anime is currently at 355 episodes and still going. My guess is it will end at about episode 600, but that's just a guess. Now I've been through this show only one and a half times, but how I suddenly found myself calling it my favorite show, that came around episode 300. The first 60 episodes are good, but I didn't really get the show. But then I found after that I couldn't stop watching, there was something going on with the characters. Each member of the crew has a specific goal in mind, and the parts of their being in the crew together is that they are there to fulfill their own specific dream. The loyalty that is shared among the characters becomes one of the focuses of the show and really brings about some amazing moments, tear-jerking moments. What is interesting is unlike so many other anime series, a clear cut villain has not yet been introduced if there will even be one. There are big villains along the way, but mostly it's just bad people doing bad things, other pirate crews and the world government. There is one other thing, to make sure there are interesting powers there are things called "Devil's Fruit", fruit which if eaten grants the person who eats it a random power. There is only one of each fruit and once a fruit is eaten it's gone for good, also once you eat a fruit you can't gain another power. Plus if you do happen to eat a fruit, you can no longer swim in the water, you'll just sink. Luffy for instance eats the Rubber Fruit and so he becomes a Rubber Man.

What this show has been able to do is make me fall in love with each character created. Even the token annoying anime character I suddenly found myself loving. Going through the show again, and finding I already like all the characters, it's making the second time through even better, watching episodes which I remember being alright, suddenly were really much better episodes. The show as you can probably tell is intensely character driven, if you know already that you're not much into character development, then the show will not be for you. But if that's what you like then it's one of the best. Of course as with all long form anime it's best to skip the filler, which wikipedia can tell you which episodes are filler.

This show I have a bit more invested in then other shows, and I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint, but I am reading the manga now which the anime follows and so far it hasn't, so when it does eventually end, I'm really hoping for some good endings. But as the show has stayed consistent, I doubt it will end badly as long as it's still under the creator's reigns. If you're willing to invest time into the anime then I would recommend it, but know that you won't find it to be really awesome until the show really gets going. After all the best arc so far is the one involving the eighth members, and the seventh was also incredibly good.

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
There ya have it, Top 50 all done.

Thoughts, comments, rants?

Sycophant
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Glad to see The Office place so high on your list, which isn't really a surprise. I was, on the other hand, surprised to see Coupling so high. They're the only two recent BBC comedies I've really gotten into, so I'm a little weirded out that eight hours of perfect, precise television could be outranked by three very good-to-great (with occasional bouts of unevenness or too-broad moments) seasons and a half-misfire of a fourth. But cheers!

Thirdmango
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Well considering how much more I've watched the episodes of Coupling then I have the episodes of The Office. It's more of a sense that rewatchability is very high on my list, and Coupling for me is about the most rewatchable show ever, though I know most everyone wouldn't put it above, and I'm totally cool with that, but for me personally, I find it to be better.

Kurosawa Fan
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't understand how you can place Lost above some of those other shows when we still haven't come to the end. It's a show that is so dependent on how it wraps everything up. If that last season sucks, the show will be forever tainted, and the seasons that came before it will be much less interesting to watch.

Qrazy
06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't understand how you can place Lost above some of those other shows when we still haven't come to the end. It's a show that is so dependent on how it wraps everything up. If that last season sucks, the show will be forever tainted, and the seasons that came before it will be much less interesting to watch.

Yeah, I stopped watching Lost a season and a half in for just this reason... based on what's came before I have little faith in the writers, but if they do wrap it up then I'll watch. It's the same thing for BSG, a lot depends on if they end it well.

Thirdmango
06-04-2008, 04:17 AM

The thing is, that currently this is one of my favorite shows, because of how many moments there have been that have truly shocked me into excitement. Most shows haven't been able to do that even though they are finished. So even if the last two seasons suck the middle two seasons still had moments which haven't happened in any other series for me personally. That's why it's so high for me. There aren't many shows which I actually anticipate and get excited to watch weekly.

Qrazy
06-04-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm doing Fullmetal Alchemist now... maybe I'll do One Piece after that.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 05:20 AM
I don't know if I'll ever watch an anime with more than 52 episodes. It just seems... such a commitment.

Qrazy
06-04-2008, 11:49 PM
The English dub for Alphonse on Full Metal Alchemist has to be some of the worst voice acting ever... what an annoying kid (watched a few eps of the dub cause I couldn't find their original counterparts online).

Raiders
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Doesn't even include my favorite TV series of all-time.

Thirdmango
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Doesn't even include my favorite TV series of all-time.

Probably I haven't seen it. I'm assuming it's Twilight Zone from your mentions earlier, and I've only seen the movie.

Raiders
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Probably I haven't seen it.

It's X-Files.

Thirdmango
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
It's X-Files.

Yup I've seen one episode and I don't remember it. It's one I plan on eventually.

Qrazy
06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Finished Full Metal Alchemist, really quality, particularly after the first season when the story takes off. I think I'll watch some more short animes before hitting up One Piece though.

MadMan
06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Yup I've seen one episode and I don't remember it. It's one I plan on eventually.I think you would love it.

I'll have to go back through this thread and read the rest of it. I fell behind due to finals, work, and other stuff. Still yours was much more interesting than mine, and featured more detailed and better commentary.

Sycophant
06-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Yup I've seen one episode and I don't remember it.
I didn't know this about you. That's actually an amazing feat.