PDA

View Full Version : I Love You, Daddy (Louis C.K.)

Henry Gale
09-15-2017, 01:24 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7264080/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_You,_Daddy)

http://images.contentful.com/22n7d68fswlw/239A73SGgUYU8gY842sGOE/8a82dd138e9b1d50e8f70960045b69 03/iloveyoudaddy_02.jpg?w=1200

number8
09-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Everything I've read about this movie makes my skin crawl. Of course I'd probably see it because I like that feeling, but yeah.

Henry Gale
09-17-2017, 04:00 AM
Oh for sure. Even though its subject matter deals with things as gross and uncomfortable as it does, Louis using the style he does of the pre-code era Hollywood with an original, swelling, sunny score, with outdoor shots that are boundlessly gorgeous and indoor that very much wish to look like artificial sets, he finds an oddly perfect way to translate the sensibilities of his standup to confront what it does with the same sort of manic, dissonant, unashamed energy that provides an arena to laugh at/with and be entertained by the issues at the core of it through your discomfort with the characters dealing with it all, but never shrug it off as light or leave you off the hook enough to not feel as if you're sharing the intense stress of his lead.

There is no character with which the film equips with a wholly agreeable worldview here (Pamela Adlon's comes close, but she also fittingly isn't a large part of the lives of the characters always be there), everyone is their own type of idiot, whether it's because their blinded by parental affection, due to their naïvety, because of their perverted nature, or because they often just don't properly see the gravity of anything happening before them or they're doing themselves. It's a comedy of errors that doesn't care if it makes them itself. Louis as a writer and director is smart of enough to know he can't make a thesis about Woody Allen (or even just Malkovich's character's substitute here) without charges of hypocrisy or shirking responsibility having worked with Allen, and especially when he's also in the middle of a reality where creepy harassment allegations have been hurled at him himself (albeit not as infamous and largely introduced to the public in the form of blind-item articles and other comments assumed to be about him which more people later took it upon themselves to confirm and combine with their own sources), but at the same time you know that exact sort of danger in the nature of the subject matter is what inspired him to want to make this in the first place. It's also likely for the time being that this film may be the only form of an answer he'll directly, publicly give about any of those real-life allegations, which leads to the begging of an old tried and tested question (which has understandably yielded many different answers depending on the situation): Do we look to artists for their work, or their actions? And if it's both, do we wish to see them make their statements in their art? If it's the latter, I Love You, Daddy is as good a statement as any, especially because it's both as uneasy as it is, and as funny as anything we'd want to look to C.K. to make.

number8
11-09-2017, 07:02 PM
The premiere of this movie was going to be tonight and it has just been abruptly cancelled this morning because they learned that this big NY Times story was coming out today: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/arts/television/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.html

Louis CK has also cancelled his talk show appearances to promote the movie.

number8
11-09-2017, 07:07 PM
So after years of anonymous rumors about him, women are now finally coming out to accuse Louis publicly.

This might be big. One of the women was harassed on the set of a pilot produced by Courtney Cox and David Arquette and they confirmed the incident to the Times.

Spinal
11-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Christopher Plummer's going to be busy.

number8
11-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Aw man, I just made that joke on twitter.

Spinal
11-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Aw man, I just made that joke on twitter.

Great minds!

Wryan
11-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Oddly enough, given the "I'm sick, I need help and therapy" line from Weinstein, from what I read and saw, it actually seems accurate with Louis. He seems like he has genuine problems, but this will still probably bury his career. His compulsion seems to be consistent (lemme masturbate in front of you/in your direction), tho it's weird that he asked if it would be okay up front. That doesn't really sound like a power-tripping perv a la Weinstein, though he unquestionably benefited enormously from his station, given that the women didn't speak up out of fear of his status. The bits in his specials where he talks about how dark and wrong his thoughts get, especially when it comes to women, were always a bit weird, like he was trying to get everyone on board with the idea that this is just a problem men have generally, like he was trying to find excuses for himself while simultaneously revealing his failings.

I think he's an immensely talented comic and writer, just as I usually liked Spacey's work as well. But these are necessary sacrifices if they'll improve the landscape for everyone else.

Irish
11-09-2017, 07:44 PM
This is the part of these stories that always breaks me:

Ms. Schachner accepted his apology and told him she forgave him. But the original interaction left her deeply dispirited, she said, and discouraged her from pursuing comedy.

number8
11-09-2017, 07:50 PM
This is the part of these stories that always breaks me:

Seems to be even more common in the comedy world. I dunno if you're familiar with local NYC comedians like Aaron Glaser and Jamie Kilstein and their harassment scandals, but the stories from the women run the same. One of Glaser's victims was so traumatized she quit comedy entirely and moved to the midwest to get away from the scene. I do think about this a lot when people ask why aren't there more female _____? And I've started questioning back, "I dunno, is it safe for them to be?"

Irish
11-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Seems to be even more common in the comedy world. I dunno if you're familiar with local NYC comedians like Aaron Glaser and Jamie Kilstein and their harassment scandals, but the stories from the women run the same. One of Glaser's victims was so traumatized she quit comedy entirely and moved to the midwest to get away from the scene. I do think about this a lot when people ask why aren't there more female _____? And I've started questioning back, "I dunno, is it safe for them to be?"

I didn't know any of that!

I was thinking of Farrow's first report in the New Yorker. Buried in between the stories from A-list actresses were the also-rans and the nobodies---women who expressed exactly the same sentiment: they became disheartened and left the business because of what Harvey did to them when they were 20.

number8
11-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Great minds!

https://entertainment.theonion.com/entirety-of-hollywood-film-industry-replaced-with-40-00-1820307690

number8
11-10-2017, 03:26 PM
It's official now:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOR2HdAUEAEKnwm.jpg:large

Congrats Henry Gale. You're one of the few who have watched a rare movie.

Dukefrukem
11-10-2017, 03:32 PM
What does that mean? I'll never get to see this??

number8
11-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Not anytime soon. Maybe years from now when Louis gets the rights back and decides to sell it on his mailing list for $5 or whatever.

Yxklyx
11-10-2017, 05:19 PM
What is "Sexual Misconduct" anyway? Is it really some legal term? I thought there was only sexual assault and sexual harassment (workplace related involving authority figure). I remember when the Weinstein news came out, Woody Allen said this was going to lead to a "Witch Hunt" - I didn't realize how right he was at the time.

Grouchy
11-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Well, shit news is shit.

Henry Gale
11-10-2017, 05:58 PM
It's official now

Congrats Henry Gale. You're one of the few who have watched a rare movie.

Welp. Having had thorough but still murky familiarity with these allegations as they stood for years without actual voices attached to them, I don't want to say I'm "glad" or "relieved" to hear it's all true, but it certainly solidifies the irksome asterisk that's been next to his name for a while for me, and makes it a little easier to have real feelings about.

I still stick by this film being, like much of Louis' narrative work, productively uncomfortable in a way that confronts unspoken social conflicts that (at least before the last month or so) most cinema doesn't seem to know how to deal with interestingly without being exploitive, even when these things so frequently come up in the real-world around filmmaking, and that this will probably still stand as one of the better pieces of work to ever deal with that, because who the hell would want to make something with this subject matter otherwise, especially now?

It's deliberately messy in what it wants to say, because like these real-life situations, it's tough to have just one feeling about it. And it probably will still stand as the closest thing to an unfiltered statement about this sort of situation for the near future, and for that alone it's weirdly valuable, if not easy to deal with.

Wryan
11-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Statement: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/louis-ck-comments-sexual-misconduct-allegations-1056953?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Grouchy
11-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Damn.

I hope all this mess can be resolved without burying the film, because it looks interesting to be honest.

Grouchy
11-10-2017, 07:03 PM
The allegations against Weinstein or Spacey frankly leave me indifferent as regards to the actual person, because while they're excellent producers and actors respectively, I don't really feel any "relationship" to them as people.

But this is a harder pill to swallow because much of Louis C.K.'s work is centered around baring his soul to the audience and I love his work.

Pop Trash
11-10-2017, 09:53 PM
I Love You, Penis (Louis C.K.)

Milky Joe
11-10-2017, 10:14 PM
I still stick by this film being, like much of Louis' narrative work, productively uncomfortable in a way that confronts unspoken social conflicts that (at least before the last month or so) most cinema doesn't seem to know how to deal with interestingly without being exploitive, even when these things so frequently come up in the real-world around filmmaking, and that this will probably still stand as one of the better pieces of work to ever deal with that, because who the hell would want to make something with this subject matter otherwise, especially now?

It's deliberately messy in what it wants to say, because like these real-life situations, it's tough to have just one feeling about it. And it probably will still stand as the closest thing to an unfiltered statement about this sort of situation for the near future, and for that alone it's weirdly valuable, if not easy to deal with.

Well said. I shake my head at people who are now retconning Louis' work (particularly the 'rape' scene with Pamela Adlon) as being 'creepy'—no. I mean, yes, but not in the way they mean. That scene was essential and an authentic depiction of predatory male behavior, behavior which men often don't even realize is predatory. That's just how men are. Louis was the best at depicting that honestly—and from the sounds of it, he would know.

I hope that once the dust clears and the real sexually deviant criminals in Hollywood are exposed, we can go back and say that people CAN change, and some people are not unforgivable, because Louis is a straight-up genius, and a good person, ultimately.

Pop Trash
11-11-2017, 01:46 AM
I do hope this comes out in some form, otherwise this will go down with Promises Written in Water as a movie that exists that I'll never be able to see.

Thirdmango
11-16-2017, 12:18 PM
a friend of mine got his press screening for this. I bet a bunch of press screeners went out before the scandal so hopefully one of them puts it online.

baby doll
11-16-2017, 03:01 PM
a friend of mine got his press screening for this. I bet a bunch of press screeners went out before the scandal so hopefully one of them puts it online.Not if they want to keep getting screeners, which usually have a watermark with the person's name on it.

number8
11-16-2017, 03:12 PM
They have also sent the movie out to awards voters. Before all this, they really thought this had Oscar chances. A lot of Academy members said they received their copy in the mail the same day the news broke, heh.

Ezee E
11-16-2017, 09:27 PM
They have also sent the movie out to awards voters. Before all this, they really thought this had Oscar chances. A lot of Academy members said they received their copy in the mail the same day the news broke, heh.

Would've been funny if the news broke between ballots were cast and before nominations released...

Grouchy
11-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Would've been funny if the news broke between ballots were cast and before nominations released...
Heheh I think that would have been unique. There's a pretty funny story about Argentinian film A Place in the World directed by Adolfo Aristarain. The director had a row with the film workers guild and, as a result, The Dark Side of the Heart (which had been less succesful) was sent instead for the Foreign Film category. Aristarain was pissed and decided to pretend that his film was Uruguayan with the complicity of the Uruguayan Film Society, even though it takes place in Argentina and the cast and crew as well as the funding are all Argentinian. A Place ended up being nominated and hastily pulled out of competition when a reporter found out and revealed the ruse.

Anyway, this video about I Love You, Daddy by some important (blowhard) film critic says that Charlie Day's character is also into forcibly masturbating himself in front of women. It looks like Louis C.K. is like the Riddler from Batman - he leaves clues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6zlCepf_Co

Grouchy
11-17-2017, 01:07 AM
I know this is not the point of these news, but the whole appeal of "forcibly masturbating in front of women" still puzzles me. I have fetishes. I do enjoy watching a woman masturbate and I knew one woman who enjoyed watching a man do it and once asked me to. A rapist is a person who gets sexual arousal out of causing pain, it's a power trip - I can rationally understand his behavior. But what... what's the fucking point in doing what Louis did? It puts you in a pathetic position and he must have seen this outcome coming from a long time ago. I mean, the Weinstein thing happened but most people who don't give a shit about film found out who Weinstein was when the media broke the story. The Louis story was juicier in every way.

Maybe the point is to shock the woman with something crude that you do in private, like having a shit or piss fetish. But there's an element of power, because Louis could have paid any number of women to watch him. The point was that they didn't want to watch it and felt miserable because they looked up to him. There's a hobo in my neighborhood who does this, but he's a hobo. He has nothing to protect in his life.

Dead & Messed Up
11-17-2017, 01:33 AM
My nonsense armchair hypothesis is that it's a sort of "consequence-free" rape. The harasser gets the pleasure of dominating and humiliating a woman coupled with a sexual release without any assault (even contact). That last part is key, because I think it does the double duty of both avoiding physical lines of evidence and deluding the perpetrator into thinking he didn't do anything traumatic.

Pop Trash
11-17-2017, 02:26 AM
At times I think I'm just as pervy as the next man (or woman), but I've never felt like spanking it in front of an unsuspecting woman that I've never been physical with before. Some of these accusations are getting a bit ridiculous, though (cf. Al Franken) and I suspect are going to water down the more egregious accusations (cf. Weinstein, Roy Moore).

Henry Gale
11-17-2017, 07:59 AM
I don't know if it "matters" amongst everything else, but I will point out that Day's character only gestures jerking off while hanging out in Louis' character's office as a way of taunting his character while he's on the phone with Rose Byrne's character. Day's character knows her work better than Louis', and vocalizes how hot she thinks she is before Louis then makes a professional phone call to her, which slightly intimidates him, only made worse by Day then motioning masturbating to the escalation of the conversation from across the room, eventually deciding to climax at the idea of her agreeing to meet with him.

Milky Joe
11-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Excellent article:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453692/louis-ck-i-love-you-daddy-release

Milky Joe
01-26-2018, 02:55 AM
This is, um, available for anyone who's interested in it.

It was fantastic. I strongly echo everything Henry Gale said. I would also add that maybe the saddest part of the fact that this wasn't released was that Chloë Grace-Moretz does beautiful work in this. Everyone does actually, but she in particularly stood out to me. She was in there with some legendary talent and more than held her own (and she did her best work in the her scenes with Louis).

In retrospect, the ending haunts me. It almost feels like he knew he was going down and this was his farewell. Or it could just be synchronicity. But that scene at the Emmy's, and the way it ends, floored me.

Dukefrukem
01-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Available where?

Irish
01-26-2018, 01:27 PM
It leaked on torrent sites about a month or two ago.

Milky Joe
01-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Theory: Charlie Day's character doesn't actually exist and is basically the little Devil on Glenn's shoulder, the hip attractive talented funny young male celebrity Glenn wishes he was.