PDA

View Full Version : mother! (Darren Aronofsky)

Henry Gale
09-11-2017, 06:44 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5109784/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother!)

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/mother-poster.jpeg

Henry Gale
09-11-2017, 07:10 AM
No words. (But I'll try anyway before I fall asleep after a long, great day at TIFF.)

This is Aronofsky at his most creatively unhinged, at the very least since The Fountain, but also doing things that are so beyond comparison. So aside from the beautiful, insane miracle that he got it made (and obviously I think he also managed to make something incredible with it) but that it's also going to be a big Paramount Pictures release that I've seen get big parts of its promo rollout premiere on network like ABC to now be put in 3,000+ theatres this Friday is just fuuuucking crazy.

It's just wild. Absolutely audaciously so far removed from anything it's arguably taking inspiration from on paper. It's any movie you might compare it to thrown into the oven and just obliterated with maximum heat. It makes Rosemary's Baby look like Bridget Jones' Baby. It now even makes Aronofsky's own Black Swan feel like The Black Cauldron or something in terms of how cute it was to think that there was a time we might've looked at that as the sort of maxized simultaneous visceral and psycholpgical terror he was all-encompassingly capable of formally. But nope. He can also do this. And it's a fantastically untamed parade of raw sensibilities and mischievously audacious craft to behold.

And not for no sort of rhyme or reason. There's so much going on in it thematically, dramatically, narratively, and then allegorically that I'm not even sure where to start after one viewing, but will surely relish in revisiting.

At this point I'm not sure what else I'd call my favourite film of the year other than this, but I will also not be surprised in the least when I learn many, many others just totally despise it as an experience. For the lack of a better, less punny term: It's a motherfucker!

<3

Stay Puft
09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I love all of the imdb user reviews for this movie that actually just review Jennifer Lawrence as a person (spoiler alert: they're all one star reviews). Kinda drives home the point of the movie. Or one of its many (some coherent, some incoherent) points.

As expected with Aronofsky of late, I'm a little torn on it, but as you say it's also the most audacious and unhinged he has been since The Fountain, and I can always admire that, so I'm leaning more into loving it at the moment. It's an amorphous thing that keeps changing the more I try to think of it from different angles, and sometimes that's good and sometimes not. This will certainly take some time to decompress. I can say this: mother! was probably the most intense two hours I've experienced in a movie theatre all year. I was feeling genuine anxiety for a good chunk of the running time. It's also wickedly, wickedly funny. And whipping back and forth between hearty laughter and "oh god kill me" sure is a good way to start one's day.

Stay Puft
09-11-2017, 07:14 PM
One more thing before I head out for my next movie: I enjoyed seeing Stephen McHattie here, but he totally stole that role from Mark Margolis, didn't he?

Weems
09-11-2017, 10:52 PM
I thought this was a fiasco, in the worst way. Aronofsky's always been good at coming up with visuals, but I can't stand his writing/conceptualization. It's like he thinks he's 70s Coppola, when in reality he's more of a pretentious film school student who doesn't understand dramatic structure and narrative development. But that's just me.

transmogrifier
09-12-2017, 12:45 AM
I've found that there is very little overlap in what Aronofsky is interested in and what I'm interested in. Everything he has done has left me cold, even if I can appreciate the surface style. That said, mother! sounds more interesting than anything he has done to this point, so I will check it out (which is more than I managed with Noah)

transmogrifier
09-13-2017, 12:17 AM
Ha, this is getting wildly diverging reactions among people I follow on Letterboxd. Mike D'Angelo loved it, Glenn Heath called it "next level hot garbage"

Awesome. Those are the types of films I most look forward to seeing.

Henry Gale
09-13-2017, 04:31 AM
Oh there were even times midway through where I was severely concerned if I'd really like it by the end, or that it'd manage to ramp up in an interesting enough way. But boy-howdy holy shit did that ever shift.

Outside of Stay Puft's personal verdict on it, I'd be highly curious to learn if anyone somewhere in the middle on it was just of two minds about it, hating and loving different aspects. I don't know how you can muster a "meh" after what it throws at you.

The best reaction was from someone I met in line today, which was: "I kinda hated it but once it was done I kinda wanted to see it again."

Peng
09-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Well that was some thing alright.

This is going to be released into 2000+ US theaters? Lol can't wait for that F Cinemascore.

Dead & Messed Up
09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
I've found that there is very little overlap in what Aronofsky is interested in and what I'm interested in. Everything he has done has left me cold, even if I can appreciate the surface style. That said, mother! sounds more interesting than anything he has done to this point, so I will check it out (which is more than I managed with Noah)

Ahh man, Noah is thudding and overbearing (and long in the back half when it goes The Shining) but also really fascinating in some ways, especially if you're into religion, but also if you're into relatively fresh cinematic symbolism (golden souls, enigmatic snakeskin, a fig with a heartbeat).

Skitch
09-13-2017, 08:18 PM
I loved the first two acts of Noah, hated the third.

Idioteque Stalker
09-16-2017, 03:32 AM
This was a total mess, but I went giddily along for the ride. The material is well-suited to Aronofsky's strengths--honestly it most reminds me of Pi. The idea that this may accumulate Oscar buzz a la Black Swan is laughable.

My theater was packed. Movie execs obviously don't know what to do with it based on the trailers beforehand (equal parts prestige pictures/b-grade horror). If this turns out to be a financial success even slightly reminiscent of something like Get Out, it's only because of Donald Trump.

Peng
09-16-2017, 04:04 AM
Three days later and I'm still reeling from this (in a good way, I think). The third act is sheer total unrelenting escalation of WTF. The person next to me in my screening sighed heavily every 5-10 minutes during the whole second half.

Ezee E
09-16-2017, 04:46 AM
Not sure how to grade it yet...

It's something masterful, until it's completely not. There's also nothing else like it this decade (maybe even 2000's) as far as big name actors go.

Big plus to Jennifer Lawrence for making it engaging as long as it goes.

Something about this being the biggest introverted nightmare is where it succeeds. But...

Peng
09-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Well that was some thing alright.

This is going to be released into 2000+ US theaters? Lol can't wait for that F Cinemascore.

back in the news

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJ0cHxYUQAEE6lK.jpg

Ivan Drago
09-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Seeing on Sunday. Can't wait.

Skitch
09-16-2017, 08:20 AM
-honestly it most reminds me of Pi.

Peak anticipation!

Ezee E
09-16-2017, 04:16 PM
So yeah, this is when it goes from masterful to almost embarrassingly bad:

Post baby. Maybe even Kristen Wiig's appearance... It's so over the top with the baby pissing and the CGI neck break

that I couldn't really support it anymore. Add to that the Jennifer Lawrence stomp, with lots of shouts of "cunt" "whore" etc., only for it to end the way it did. Ugh.

But what a hell of a first half.

Mal
09-17-2017, 04:06 AM
The fucking sound and Michelle Pfieffer are beyond excellent. But beyond the first half the movie just... well, you know.

Ezee E
09-17-2017, 02:06 PM
The fucking sound and Michelle Pfieffer are beyond excellent. But beyond the first half the movie just... well, you know.

Yeah. I was anticipating articles upon articles about the sound.

TGM
09-17-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm still not entirely sure what to make of this movie, but I do know that the more I think of it, the more I love it.

I didn't see it with a large audience, but I could tell that they definitely weren't this movie's target demographic. This was confirmed at the end when someone in front of my proclaimed this to be the worst movie they've ever seen in their life, and everyone around her pretty much agreed. However, that sentiment only made me instantly appreciate the movie all the more, which is an absolute master class in sheer craftsmanship.

Holy shit is this movie fucking wild, and makes Black Swan look tame by comparison. And I just loved the close quarters way it was filmed. Reminded me of Son of Saul, and really captured the increasingly anxious and claustrophobic feel of the movie. Aronofsky has outdone himself, and Lawrence gives probably the best performance of her career yet.

With the reception its already received, I can see this movie going down a similar rout as The Shining, which received Razzie nominations at the time of its release, but has gone on to be praised as a horror classic. Give it time, and this movie will similarly find its audience and proper appreciation. But as for now, this is by far the most balls out craziest movie of the whole year, and while I can't guarantee that you'll like it, I HIGHLY recommend seeing this in a theater.

Ezee E
09-17-2017, 05:28 PM
The sound design alone makes it worth seeing in the theater.

Ivan Drago
09-18-2017, 06:06 AM
My thoughts will be included in an article for the website I write for later this week, but for now, I can say this: in the four hours since I saw this my thoughts have progressed from, "I can't believe what I just watched," to "I saw how it was going to end right from the get-go," to "Man, artists put sacrifice a lot to get what they want," to "Can I life the artist's life...?," and then I've been contemplating my own life, where I'm at in my career and feeling both in awe of how the film portrays the artist's life as a horror film and unsettled by it at the same time.

Spinal
09-23-2017, 08:17 PM
Not sure why this is so bewildering to people. It's really just an extended nightmare film from the perspective of Lawrence's character mixed with a straightforward metaphor about human suffering. I liked it. Favorite Aronofsky since Requiem for a Dream (I skipped Noah).

number8
10-04-2017, 04:07 AM
Artists thinking they affect other people's lives this much is the real horror, amirite?

Grouchy
10-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Not sure why this is so bewildering to people. It's really just an extended nightmare film from the perspective of Lawrence's character mixed with a straightforward metaphor about human suffering. I liked it. Favorite Aronofsky since Requiem for a Dream (I skipped Noah).
Yeah, agreed. I loved the film, I think it's Aronofsky's best since The Fountain (and for me that's high praise), but it wasn't nearly as confusing as it was painted out to be. It's very complex, but not random or bananas.

Anyway, early on during the film I felt echoes of Rosemary's Baby and that led me to think about what this material would be like directed by Roman Polanski. Aronofsky's style has changed a lot over the years and the first person approach to directing that started with The Wrestler is at its most blatant here. But somehow, the escalating absurdity of this story is something that I can picture Polanski mastering quite well.

I don't know, I'm still thinking about it, but it's a great piece of psychological Horror and probably my favorite Lawrence performance to date. Michelle Pfeiffer was also excellent.

Ivan Drago
10-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Just realized I never posted my thoughts on this, which are in the second paragraph of this group review:

https://615film.com/2017/09/19/the-615-film-staff-reviews-darren-aronofskys-mother/

transmogrifier
10-19-2017, 04:08 AM
55/100
An exemplary case of artistic courage; there is no underestimating the fearlessness required to tackle such an analogy, and I’m glad someone has finally done it. For too long the human morality and philosophical ramifications of the John Farnham sequence from Hot Rod have remained unexplored. I applaud you, Aronofsky, I truly do.

Grouchy
10-19-2017, 06:37 AM
Do I detect irony?

transmogrifier
10-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Do I detect irony?

For your viewing pleasure:

https://youtu.be/jVjgY427qW8

baby doll
10-20-2017, 06:17 AM
Yeah, agreed. I loved the film, I think it's Aronofsky's best since The Fountain (and for me that's high praise), but it wasn't nearly as confusing as it was painted out to be. It's very complex, but not random or bananas.

Anyway, early on during the film I felt echoes of Rosemary's Baby and that led me to think about what this material would be like directed by Roman Polanski. Aronofsky's style has changed a lot over the years and the first person approach to directing that started with The Wrestler is at its most blatant here. But somehow, the escalating absurdity of this story is something that I can picture Polanski mastering quite well.

I don't know, I'm still thinking about it, but it's a great piece of psychological Horror and probably my favorite Lawrence performance to date. Michelle Pfeiffer was also excellent.For me, it's the comparison with Polanski (and Franz Kafka) that points to the film's fundamental failure: In Rosemary's Baby, Polanski grounds his story in just enough realistic detail that one can take its premise sort of seriously; this movie, on the other hand, is pure allegory from the get-go. (If Aronofsky had any interest in actual poets, he'd know that most can't support themselves on their art alone, much less inspire obsessed fans to surreptitiously move into their houses, skank wife in tow; evidently, it's only the allegorical significance of the profession--Poet as Maker--that he's interested in.) Thus, instead of gradually ratcheting up the tension as Polanski does, the movie starts out crazy and then has to keep topping itself, which makes it hard to believe very seriously in anything that happens to the characters, especially in the last forty minutes or so, though it's still too unpleasant simply to laugh it off as a camp hoot.

Grouchy
10-20-2017, 07:14 AM
For me, it's the comparison with Polanski (and Franz Kafka) that points to the film's fundamental failure: In Rosemary's Baby, Polanski grounds his story in just enough realistic detail that one can take its premise sort of seriously; this movie, on the other hand, is pure allegory from the get-go. (If Aronofsky had any interest in actual poets, he'd know that most can't support themselves on their art alone, much less inspire obsessed fans to surreptitiously move into their houses, skank wife in tow; evidently, it's only the allegorical significance of the profession--Poet as Maker--that he's interested in.) Thus, instead of gradually ratcheting up the tension as Polanski does, the movie starts out crazy and then has to keep topping itself, which makes it hard to believe very seriously in anything that happens to the characters, especially in the last forty minutes or so, though it's still too unpleasant simply to laugh it off as a camp hoot.
Yeah, this was pretty much what I was thinking about without the jabs at this film - that Polanski's cinematic world would seem much more natural from the start, while Aronofsky tends to ramp things up to eleven stylistically as well as thematically. I also prefer Roman's style.

baby doll
10-20-2017, 03:34 PM
For the record, I'd still give the film a "yay," if only because it's such an audacious and exciting failure.

Dead & Messed Up
12-16-2017, 11:51 PM
Respect its balls to the wall insanity, and interested in its image systems. Grows repetitious at times, as the film - as others say - can't really operate with any semi-plausible emotional drama. Either you're willing to wait for the allegorical punchline, or you're not. Weirdly, that meant that while the first half carried more intrigue and mystery and suspense, the second half captured my imagination more in its figurative traipse through the hells of human faith. And the conclusion with the baby - I can only imagine what the moviegoers on opening weekend thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry Gale
12-17-2017, 03:03 AM
Respect its balls to the wall insanity, and interested in its image systems. Grows repetitious at times, as the film - as others say - can't really operate with any semi-plausible emotional drama. Either you're willing to wait for the allegorical punchline, or you're not. Weirdly, that meant that while the first half carried more intrigue and mystery and suspense, the second half captured my imagination more in its figurative traipse through the hells of human faith. And the conclusion with the baby - I can only imagine what the moviegoers on opening weekend thought.

See, I never had the pleasure(?) of seeing it in its regular release, but the festival audience here seemed to be a chorus made up of gasps, open-jawed scoffs, "Ah wuutt"'s, with a whisper of chuckles in there. (Mine was a strong mixture of options 2 and 4 there.)

transmogrifier
12-17-2017, 03:33 AM
The first half is great. The last half is sophomoric and as a result unintentionally hilarious. So.... mild yay?

Watashi
12-17-2017, 04:23 AM
I generally hate Aronofsky films, but haha oh god, did I love this. It's starts off as an intense nightmare for anyone who doesn't like having people over, but then it turns into a fucking circus, and I was like, "I get you, Darren. Fuck being subtle. Just go for the throat."

I was cackling during the second half, which I think was the point? God, I hope so.

Dead & Messed Up
12-17-2017, 05:11 AM
The first half is great. The last half is sophomoric and as a result unintentionally hilarious. So.... mild yay?

If Aronofsky wasn't going for pitch-black comedy in the final act, I don't even know what his interests were.

Guy turns the Last Supper and the Catholic Church into a baby buffet, for God's sakes.

Sidebar: was reading on Jewish folklore today and came across this synchronous little tidbit.

There's a Midrashic view, apart from "creatio ex nihilo," that states the world was made from the remains of previous worlds God had destroyed because he was not satisfied with them.

Makes sense. Aronofsky shoved a lot of Jewish folklore, Kabbala, and aprocrypha into Pi and Noah.

transmogrifier
12-17-2017, 06:44 AM
I think he was going for pitch-black comedy, but it is much, much goofier and stupider than that would imply

Ezee E
12-17-2017, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I don't think Aronofsky is going for comedy in that last act. He's never had a comedic bone.

Whenever I think of the movie, I think of that first half, which is why I have it in my top ten. The second half is also pretty damn unique on its own, but... I think a rewatch would make me realize it's not quite that special.

Pop Trash
12-18-2017, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I don't think Aronofsky is going for comedy in that last act. He's never had a comedic bone.

Oh I disagree. Even Requiem for a Dream had a lot of dark humor (the mother on speed cleaning up her house, the refrigerator coming "alive," the game show host (who also shows up on the DVD menu)). There's a sort of ridiculous no-fucks-given aspect of his films that you laugh at the audacity of it all, but I definitely think the humor of the house being trashed by the interloping mob is intentional. It's straight out of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois.

Ezee E
12-18-2017, 05:27 AM
Oh I disagree. Even Requiem for a Dream had a lot of dark humor (the mother on speed cleaning up her house, the refrigerator coming "alive," the game show host (who also shows up on the DVD menu)). There's a sort of ridiculous no-fucks-given aspect of his films that you laugh at the audacity of it all, but I definitely think the humor of the house being trashed by the interloping mob is intentional. It's straight out of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois.

Fair enough. And I remember the person sitting on the sink that eventually breaks was definitely intentional funny.

baby doll
12-18-2017, 05:44 AM
There's a sort of ridiculous no-fucks-given aspect of his films that you laugh at the audacity of it all, but I definitely think the humor of the house being trashed by the interloping mob is intentional. It's straight out of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeois.

It was long, hard work, particularly because it was crucial to maintain a sufficient degree of realism in the midst of this delirium. The script went through five different versions while we tried to combine realism—the situation had to be familiar and develop logically—and the accumulation of strange, but not fantastical, obstacles.This is why Buñuel is a genius and Aronofsky is just ambitious.

Pop Trash
12-18-2017, 07:08 AM
This is why Buñuel is a genius and Aronofsky is just ambitious.

I don't know if Aronofsky is a genius, but he's definitely something. mother! is the weirdest American film to get an opening weekend wide release since Spring Breakers.

baby doll
12-18-2017, 08:10 AM
I don't know if Aronofsky is a genius, but he's definitely something. mother! is the weirdest American film to get an opening weekend wide release since Spring Breakers.Weird is not the same as good, and how wide a release a particular film gets is irrelevant to my personal pleasure (which is the only thing I care about). So I don't know why we're supposed to be rooting for drooling idiots to watch weirder films--especially weird films that aren't very good. What's the point? Is Hollywood suddenly going to realize there's an enormously lucrative market for weird films and give directors lots of money to let their freak flag fly? The market for weird films is what it's always been (relatively small), and the people who want to see weird films can generally find them. If hicks in flyover states want to watch bland franchise films, that's their business, and what I watch is my business. Not everything has to be for everybody.

Grouchy
12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Eh, it's not really that simple. "Hicks" might be used and brought up on Hollywood films, but the reason they never watched anything else also has to do with its lack of availability. Personal taste is not created in a vacuum.

Is Hollywood suddenly going to realize there's an enormously lucrative market for weird films and give directors lots of money to let their freak flag fly?
Happened once during the 1970s.

baby doll
12-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Eh, it's not really that simple. "Hicks" might be used and brought up on Hollywood films, but the reason they never watched anything else also has to do with its lack of availability. Personal taste is not created in a vacuum.

Happened once during the 1970s.First of all, I think people have a lot more options than they generally realize. There isn't this great crisis in distribution where people who want to watch Pedro Costa movies can't access them. If anything, between DVDs, torrents, and different streaming services, people have never had so many options to choose from. And as long as I can see the films I want to see, it doesn't matter to me if everyone else on the planet is watching Star Wars, or if they're incapable of sitting still for an old Billy Wilder film because it's too "slow" for them (i.e., not superficially busy enough). To go back to 1970s Hollywood, the classic films of that era--McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Night Moves, The Deer Hunter, etc.--have already been made. So even if Hollywood studios ceased to produce even the small number of quality films that they currently put out, it wouldn't be a tragedy to me because there are already so many great Hollywood films from the past that I can watch (to say nothing of independent films and films from other countries).

Skitch
01-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Wow, went into this thinking it to be a cult trying to sacrifice Lawrence or something and turned out to be The Bibles Greatest Hits in 2 hours. Did not expect that. When it was over I didn't much like it because its basically Anxiety: The Movie, but the more I thought about it and picked out more of the analogies, the more I respect the work. Its still a little too harsh to be watched for entertainment often unless you like being depressed.

Dead & Messed Up
01-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Wow, went into this thinking it to be a cult trying to sacrifice Lawrence or something and turned out to be The Bibles Greatest Hits in 2 hours. Did not expect that. When it was over I didn't much like it because its basically Anxiety: The Movie, but the more I thought about it and picked out more of the analogies, the more I respect the work. Its still a little too harsh to be watched for entertainment often unless you like being depressed.

I heard you on the Anxiety: The Movie. A week after watching the movie, I had maybe the worst nightmare of my life, and it was the premise of mother! but with a little personal subconscious tailoring.

So, uh, thanks, Darren, I guess.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2018, 12:53 AM
My god. This is going in my top 100.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2018, 12:54 AM

Anxiety: The Movie is so apt!!!

I've never been so engrossed in a film before in my life. Brilliant.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2018, 01:01 AM
Whomever did the sound mixing, give him an Oscar every year for the rest of his life. There were times where I really was playing along thinking this would be a normal story, with some abnormal behavior. And as most probably thought, the mob's first scenes was when this film completely goes off the rails. But that slow burn pacing of the first half, mixed with the frantic bizarre time jumps in the second was some of the best editing I've ever experienced. After the birthing scene, something snapped inside me and I realized what I had just seen, and even then I was still grossly invested until the bitter end.

Skitch
06-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Agreed, Duke. I should be clear, even though I have a hard time liking the movie, I easily give it at least a 9/10. The baby stuff is just too difficult for me since I've seen my sons birthed. It makes me want to scream, rip my face off, smash my TV and spent a week screaming in agony and the worst possible horror imaginable.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2018, 01:26 AM
Agreed, Duke. I should be clear, even though I have a hard time liking the movie, I easily give it at least a 9/10. The baby stuff is just too difficult for me since I've seen my sons birthed. It makes me want to scream, rip my face off, smash my TV and spent a week screaming in agony and the worst possible horror imaginable.

A Serbian Film scene was worse.

Skitch
06-05-2018, 02:40 AM
A Serbian Film scene was worse.

I read about it when that film came out and NOPE, never, fuck that and those people.

Grouchy
06-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Seriously, this was a supremely well crafted film and it has stayed in my mind.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Seriously, this was a supremely well crafted film and it has stayed in my mind.

There's only 3 or 4 films in the 21st century that have really stayed with me, kept me thinking about it days, weeks after seeing it. Inception. Fury Road. Melancholia. And possibly this.

Dead & Messed Up
06-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I need to watch this again, if just for the craft.

Dukefrukem
06-05-2018, 03:40 PM
So Irish nayed this and never said why?

TGM
06-05-2018, 06:24 PM
There's only 3 or 4 films in the 21st century that have really stayed with me, kept me thinking about it days, weeks after seeing it. Inception. Fury Road. Melancholia. And possibly this.

If we're talking weeks, there's plenty of films that have stayed in mind for that duration. It's when we're talking years that movies start falling off for me. Though nowadays, I find fewer and fewer movies really stick with me even hours after watching them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ezee E
06-05-2018, 09:08 PM
I'll need to rewatch this, but have a feeling the last half hour will annoy me so much that I'll have the same feelings as before.

The first 75% is masterful though.

Yxklyx
06-08-2018, 03:16 PM
I loved this! Easily my favorite Aronofsky since Requiem for a Dream. I can't even remember a thing about Black Swan