PDA

View Full Version : The Only Living Boy in New York (Marc Webb)

TGM
08-29-2017, 05:06 PM
THE ONLY LIVING BOY IN NEW YORK

Director: Marc Webb

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460890/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
08-30-2017, 03:36 AM
I'm still waiting on Marc Webb to wow me like he did with (500) Days of Summer.

Like Gifted, this was just sorta okay. It's totally over-written, and the characters totally don't talk like how people actually talk. However, unlike, say, an Aaron Sorkin flick, this movie lacks that natural rhythm and deliberate direction to really make that sorta thing actually work. The fact that it's oftentimes also poorly written doesn't help, either.

There's a character who our lead is initially crushing on, and who quickly seems to lose any point in even being involved in the flick. Like, there's a scene where the two are stalking Kate Beckinsale, and the lead insists that she sticks around until Beckinsale appears, and then immediately dismisses her so he can run off and follow her, making her presence in that scene completely pointless. Not to mention that I see little reason why the character would continue to actually hang out with this dude, considering how uncomfortable he consistently makes her literally every single time the two do anything together, and I couldn't shake that thought from my head anytime she re-appeared in the movie.

But I dunno, it had its moments. Though, days after seeing it, I'm honestly struggling to remember what those moments actually were, heh. I thought this was just okay in the end, though. Nothing terrible, nothing great. Just, serviceable.