PDA

View Full Version : Better Call Saul (Season 3)

Grouchy
04-17-2017, 04:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTedfgwSsd4

Grouchy
04-17-2017, 04:31 PM
First episode knocks it out of the park. Reviewers online often accuse this show of being slow, boring and too reliant on Breaking Bad. I feel like they are watching something completely different. I'm in complete awe of how Gilligan and his team are serving this one.

Ezee E
04-18-2017, 11:50 PM
It works as having connections with Breaking Bad, yes. But that's not why the show is good.

While Mike's story is very interesting to watch in that we know and don't know how his story ends, it really is the McGill family breakdown that makes the show something different, and up to the viewer to decide how much investment to put in it. There is and probably won't be any action between these two. The conflict is as good as anything I've ever seen though.

Rhea Seehorn also knocks it out of the park.

The first two episodes have both been pretty good.

Peng
04-19-2017, 02:57 AM
Jimmy's rage is something else (and my "Ugh, Chuck" grows with every season).

Ezee E
04-19-2017, 04:34 AM
Jimmy's rage is something else (and my "Ugh, Chuck" grows with every season).

I may have missed it, but is that exactly what Chuck wanted since he knew that nothing legally would happen?

Grouchy
04-19-2017, 01:39 PM
I may have missed it, but is that exactly what Chuck wanted since he knew that nothing legally would happen?
He makes it pretty clear to Hamlin that he expected Jimmy to break in to his house in the middle of the night and steal the tape, that's why he hires around-the-clock detectives. That's why Hamlin tries to break in at first, to find out just how useful the expensive detectives are. What Jimmy did, though, might be even more legally damning.

Grouchy
04-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Damn, Kim is such a perfect girlfriend that it makes me very sad to know that, best case scenario, they will part ways forever. My level of involvement with these characters at this point is uncanny.

Ezee E
04-28-2017, 01:29 AM
Damn, Kim is such a perfect girlfriend that it makes me very sad to know that, best case scenario, they will part ways forever. My level of involvement with these characters at this point is uncanny.

One scenario that I thought about was that they never separate. We just never see her, and they finally separate when he goes into hiding. And that's a lot more depressing.

Although that would mean he's doing plenty of shady business while he continues to be her boyfriend.

Gizmo
05-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Such an interesting dynamic of television. I mean, we know what ultimately becomes of most of the main characters and yet it's completely engaging television. I'm not sure if I like this more than Breaking Bad, but from a drama vs action standpoint, this has it in spades. Not to mention the overall production value.

Ezee E
05-03-2017, 01:12 AM
No surprise that Gus Fring immediately becomes the most intriguing character on the show. Giancarlo is so intriguing to watch.

Grouchy
05-03-2017, 02:55 AM
I wish they were able to correct the problem that nagged me during the flashback scenes of Breaking Bad, which is that Mike Margolis (Héctor) and Giancarlo Esposito can't speak Spanish worth shit. Steve Bauer is more acceptable.

Otherwise, excellent as usual.

Ezee E
05-03-2017, 05:03 AM
I wish they were able to correct the problem that nagged me during the flashback scenes of Breaking Bad, which is that Mike Margolis (Héctor) and Giancarlo Esposito can't speak Spanish worth shit. Steve Bauer is more acceptable.

Otherwise, excellent as usual.

Steve Bauer is excellent. He also has the advantage that Spanish is his first language.

Love that all three of the guys basically hate each other.

Grouchy
05-15-2017, 07:39 PM
I met a guy the other day who never got past Season 1 of Breaking Bad but is hooked on this. That must be a completely different experience.

Grouchy
05-19-2017, 06:01 PM
"It's just a name"

Ezee E
05-20-2017, 02:39 AM
Grouchy and I shouldn't be the only ones watching this.

Love it when Odenkirk gets to play with his Mr. Show past.

Thirdmango
05-23-2017, 05:47 PM
I'm all caught up. Episode 5 was a masterpiece. The last two have been spinning wheels but it makes sense with how good ep 5 was.

Grouchy
05-23-2017, 09:35 PM
It's fucking mental how emotional this episode was. The final scene should get Bob Odenkirk every acting award in existence right now.

Another acting highlight was Rhea Sheehorn. Her snapping and then her reactions at the bar with Jimmy show how subtle and perfect her performance and grasp on the character are.

Ezee E
05-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Yes. This sure is a show that shows and doesn't tell. The last episode was fantastic in showing the consequences of the previous two episodes, even with it being in the protagonist's favor... Sort of.

In other hands, Mike's story would be kind of pulpy, but the actors involved are making it work well too.

Breaking Bad is a tragedy for all these characters, and it's kind of rough watching how things are only going to crumble more.

Peng
05-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't say the last two are great episodes or anything, but it's remarkable how even "transitional" episodes of this show are pack full of nuances and character moments.

Ezee E
06-07-2017, 01:35 AM
I never thought Michael Mando was a great actor until his very Hitchcock-ian scene from last night. That was a great mix of stress, heat, and use of silence. What a terrific scene.

Grouchy
06-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Likewise. I never really cared that much about Nacho until this storyline.

Peng
06-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Jesus, as soon as the silence started to linger in the last scene I tensed up, wondering if this is going to be Kim's exit from the series. Thankfully not, but that was still a well-shot build-up and nasty shock.

That was also a new low for Jimmy; my heart ached for the poor old lady. The show has been building the "Fall" (per episode title) for both Jimmy (into Saul Goodman) and Kim (into work exhaustion) for half a season now, but it still hits hard when they both come to be.

Ezee E
06-14-2017, 02:32 AM
I was wondering why the scene at the oil field had so many setups, only for a scene from a few episodes ago to repeat itself.

Kim's nap in her car that had a cut to her immediately waking up.

Very clever.

Also, as Peng mentioned, not only the "Fall" of Jimmy/Kim, but also the fall of just about everyone else goes here with Chuck's decision to sue his former company, and Mike committing as a "Security Consultant." Nacho's fall was last week.

Can't believe next week is the finale.

Grouchy
06-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Jesus, as soon as the silence started to linger in the last scene I tensed up, wondering if this is going to be Kim's exit from the series. Thankfully not, but that was still a well-shot build-up and nasty shock.
Same here. I'm glad it didn't happen that way, though. It would have been way too manipulative at this point.

Grouchy
06-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Do people really run around in malls for exercise? I never exercise myself, which is wrong, but I assume part of the appeal of that activity is being outdoors and somewhat in contact with Nature.

Ezee E
06-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Do people really run around in malls for exercise? I never exercise myself, which is wrong, but I assume part of the appeal of that activity is being outdoors and somewhat in contact with Nature.

Old people do it at every mall I've ever been to. Absolutely.

Scar
06-15-2017, 01:08 AM
Old people do it at every mall I've ever been to. Absolutely.

Yeah, and stay out of their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouchy
06-20-2017, 07:22 PM
So who's seen this already? It's Flag Day here in Argentina so I got to watch it early.

Winston*
06-20-2017, 10:32 PM
So who's seen this already? It's Flag Day here in Argentina so I got to watch it early.

I have. The scene with Chuck as Gene Hackman in The Conversation was amazing.

I think he'll probably survive, but we'll see.

Grouchy
06-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Me too, I don't think the writers want to get rid of such a juicy character so early.

Jimmy's downfall is, I think, pretty well explained in his confrontation scene with Chuck. So far he experiences guilt and remorse everytime he goes into Slippin' Jimmy mode, and now his big brother is telling him to embrace that side of himself.

Ezee E
06-21-2017, 04:52 AM
I think Chuck's gone. To me, there's nothing left in that story between him and Jimmy, unless it's to have "Saul Goodman" take care of him while he's Jimmy... But he's basically doing that already with Kim at this point.

A sad ending, but gives Michael McKean a nice performance to end it on.

Peng
06-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Very good but my least favorite finale of the show for me. It lacks the melancholic power of a deflated feeling of the first season's finale, and of course the second's absolutely masterful crescendo of almost-Shakespearean tragic struggles between brothers. Only Chuck achieves great resonance for me here, but his The Conversation breakdown is still pretty sad and powerful nonetheless.

As season though, 2 > 3 > 1.

Peng
06-21-2017, 06:24 AM
I wonder though if they digitally alter teenage Chuck's voice in the opening, or that young actor just sounds so unnervingly like Michael McKean himself. It's uncanny.

Grouchy
06-21-2017, 01:29 PM
I thought it was just an incredible impersonation.

Melville
06-21-2017, 10:48 PM
The best thing about this show is that it's somehow made Howard its most sympathetic character.