PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter 7A and Harry Potter 7B...

Wryan
03-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Not the official names, but official confirmation that there will be two films. David Yates will likely do both. That'll be 4 Potter films from Yates by the time the series is done. I dunno why they love him so much. The 5th film was very good, I thought, but I liked the switch up between films. Gave each one a nice, new character and a fresh feel. Oh well. I'm sure Potter fans will appreciate that the films will be able to include almost everything from the last book, now, although I never thought it was that necessary. The Potter books just aren't complicated enough to warrant that attention. They are long, not dense, and they are missing the difference. You could make a fine enough film from the last book by cutting some stuff. It's called an adaptation for a reason.

Sycophant
03-12-2008, 11:27 PM
It's called an adaptation for a reason.This statement completely betrays the ethic at the heart of the Harry Potter film series.

*grumble*

Wryan
03-12-2008, 11:40 PM
This statement completely betrays the ethic at the heart of the Harry Potter film series.

*grumble*

Is that sarcasm or somethin?

O.o

Sycophant
03-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Is that sarcasm or somethin?

O.oIt's a complaint against the ridiculous plotting gymnastics these movies pretty much have to perform because of their obligation to pay service to every redundant plot thread in the books, prizing it above coherence and good cinematic storytelling. Cuaron's film was more successful, but its script screwed it over.

Wryan
03-13-2008, 12:03 AM
It's a complaint against the ridiculous plotting gymnastics these movies pretty much have to perform because of their obligation to pay service to every redundant plot thread in the books, prizing it above coherence and good cinematic storytelling. Cuaron's film was more successful, but its script screwed it over.

The movies aren't obliged to be that way. It's the producers and WB (and possibly Rowling) demanding it. If I understand your Mexican Hat Dance line of reasoning.......you'd rather accept the Xerox-without-finesse approach cause it kinda sorta can't be otherwise instead of hoping for an artistic and cinematic approach?

Sycophant
03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
The movies aren't obliged to be that way. It's the producers and WB (and possibly Rowling) demanding it. If I understand your Mexican Hat Dance line of reasoning.......you'd rather accept the Xerox-without-finesse approach cause it kinda sorta can't be otherwise instead of hoping for an artistic and cinematic approach?It's not so convoluted as that. I merely mean that the films are the corporate entities they are and are thus beholden to the desires of the producers and the studio, hence they find themselves obliged to these things.

Wryan
03-13-2008, 12:09 AM
It's not so convoluted as that. I merely mean that the films are the corporate entities they are and are thus beholden to the desires of the producers and the studio, hence they find themselves obliged to these things.

Cept you agree that it can be vaulted over, as with Cuaron, who succeeded.

I don't think it's a betrayal to the series to want something with artistic quality. :)

lovejuice
03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
David Yates will likely do both. That'll be 4 Potter films from Yates by the time the series is done. I dunno why they love him so much.

two seventh potter's are understandable, but the choice of yates is uber-perplexing. then again, the fifth is the weakest book, and he still manages to pull it quite fine. i am curious how he handles a better material.

MadMan
03-13-2008, 03:04 AM
I honestly could care less. I will eventually finish the series, but I don't know if I will go see the last batch of films in the theater.