PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Panda

Watashi
11-03-2007, 10:01 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2748/kungfupandabs5.jpg (http://www.cinematical.com/media/2007/10/kfp-teaser-1sht_72dpi.jpg)

Teaser Trailer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=dBgxCzMgE9A)

So who wants to bet how many times "Kung Fu Fighting" will be overplayed?

Still, I like the tagline and DreamWorks usually delivers on the LOL factor.

MadMan
11-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Where's that damn "neutral" smily? This looks lame.

Sycophant
11-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Someone needs to write another popular, inane song about kung fu, so we can at least dilute our overexposure to this one.

In my relief that Bee Movie advertising would now be on the wane, I'd forgotten that with that would probably come the first trickle of the inevitable deluge of whatever the hell they were going to come up with next.

I think I hate Dreamworks's animation studio. Like, a lot.

We get it, people. Irony is fucking dead.

Kurosawa Fan
11-03-2007, 10:10 PM
No. Not even close.

Watashi
11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
The only recent DreamWorks films I've hated was Shark Tale (which I loathe with every fiber in my body) and the Shrek sequels. I've enjoyed Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Shrek, and Antz. And then there is of course The Prince of Egypt which is a masterpiece.

I really don't expect their films to be on Pixar-level, just some good laughs here and there.

eternity
11-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Coming in 2009: Talking Circus Tents. A Dreamworks animation studios film.

Sycophant
11-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Coming in 2009: Talking Circus Tents. A Dreamworks animation studios film.Featuring the comedic vocal stylings of David Spade and Carlos Mencia.

Meanwhile, I did just discover that one of their 2009 projects is being helmed by Chris Sanders (Lilo & Stitch) and was co-written by one Mr. John Cleese. Maybe Dreamworks will give me something I like after all? Maybe?

eternity
11-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Crood Awakening may be good, but all the pedigree in the world cannot help a Dreamworks film from being completely bland.

Henry Gale
11-04-2007, 12:35 AM
That teaser did nothing for me, but this Jack Black-hosted promo thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mk1cuz8X4) actually gives you some idea as to what the plot is and little more on the other characters and who's voicing them (who I actually found to be quite a good cast).

Watashi
11-04-2007, 01:47 AM
By the way, how do people like how I do the upcoming movie section (with the cropped poster)?

I figured back at ye old Match Cut I was the main dude digging up all the info, I could do most of the thread starting here (except for Indy, I'll leave that one to Barty).

Sycophant
11-04-2007, 05:53 AM
By the way, how do people like how I do the upcoming movie section (with the cropped poster)?I dig it. It's snazzy.

Bosco B Thug
11-04-2007, 06:18 AM
I dig it. It's snazzy. Yeah, the cropped poster is pretty cool, don't know why...

I like the story and the homaging, but I've avoided Dreamworks Animation pics pretty consistently.

lovejuice
11-04-2007, 07:09 PM
the concept is kinda nice. too bad the thing probably sucks.

Watashi
06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Getting good reviews so far.

I'm seeing it Friday.

Anyone else?

Anyone?

*crickets*

megladon8
06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd like to see it.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Walter Chaw, Roger Ebert, Matt Zoller Seitz, Armond White, and Anthony Lane are all pretty much going to have to declare this digital Jesus to get me to see it in theaters.

Watashi
06-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Walter Chaw, Roger Ebert, Matt Zoller Seitz, Armond White, and Anthony Lane are all pretty much going to have to declare this digital Jesus to get me to see it in theaters.
Really? I rather see this over Then She Found Me in a heartbeat. This will be a fun time.

And MZS loved Bee Movie, so you know he's gonna love this.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Really? I rather see this over Then She Found Me in a heartbeat. This will be a fun time.

And MZS loved Bee Movie, so you know he's gonna love this.
In my book,

Helen Hunt > DreamWorks Animation

My book is a pretty rare edition though.

Watashi
06-04-2008, 07:59 PM
In my book,

Helen Hunt > DreamWorks Animation

My book is a pretty rare edition though.
Um, are you aware who is directing Kung Fu Panda?

Mark "More" Osbourne?

This is his first full-feature film.

Sycophant
06-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Mark "More" Osbourne?

This is his first full-feature film.Huh. Somehow I never saw "More." Online stills look interesting. If I like it, that could possibly (begrudgingly) overcome my prejudice.

Rowland
06-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Mark "More" Osbourne?

This is his first full-feature film.Oh shit, I didn't know that. I'll be seeing this.

Stay Puft
06-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Mark "More" Osbourne?

Whaaaat.

I don't know. I still don't want to see this.

Ezee E
06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I hope Wats likes this more than Wall-E and has it in his top 5 ever.

Ivan Drago
06-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Mark "More" Osbourne?

Woah. I'm even more excited for this now.

Qrazy
06-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh shit, I didn't know that. I'll be seeing this.

qft

MadMan
06-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Where's that damn "neutral" smily? This looks lame.Months later, this post rings truer than ever. Although apparently back then we didn't have a "neutral" smily on this site.

Spinal
06-05-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm seeing it Friday.

Anyone else?

I will probably see it sometime this weekend, though not Friday.

Wryan
06-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Getting good reviews. I'll see it cause I think it looks funny and my friend wants to see it too.

KK2.0
06-06-2008, 05:23 AM
I'll watch it, Over The Hedge was a lot of fun

Dukefrukem
06-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I'll see it because JB is my hero.

Henry Gale
06-07-2008, 05:30 AM
This was actually really entertaining.

The action and visuals are consistently exciting all the way through, it's funny in the Jack Black comedy way more than it is in the CG kids movie one (pop culture! fart jokes!) and for the most part all of the humour and drama don't feel unbalanced against one another even when both push really hard in the second half. One thing I was a bit disappointed by was that aside from Black, Hoffman and a couple of others, the rest of the characters didn't really feel like they had much to do or say in certain stretches. Like the Furious Five gang (voiced by Jolie, David Cross, Seth Rogen, Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu) never feel like they matter as much later on than they do when they're the big, tough, "you will never be as good as us, Panda!" plot ingredient at the beginning. (I think Chan has like 5 or 6 lines overall...)

But all little nitpicks aside, it looks beautiful, is an absolute blast to watch, and is completely harmless fun with actually more compelling action sequences than most of the other summer movies so far and above all just a nice surprise.

Watashi
06-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks to my stupid boss, I won't be able to see this until Monday.

He better not fucking deny me WALL-E.

Ezee E
06-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks to my stupid boss, I won't be able to see this until Monday.

He better not fucking deny me WALL-E.
I'm surprised you didn't request that off back in January.

Spinal
06-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Good stuff. Lotsa funny. Fun action scenes. Good twist on the 'be true to your self' message. Well worth seeing.

Kurosawa Fan
06-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Good stuff. Lotsa funny. Fun action scenes. Good twist on the 'be true to your self' message. Well worth seeing.

This is good to hear. I'll probably be taking my son some time next week. I was hoping it would be worth seeing.

Sxottlan
06-08-2008, 08:21 AM
A very pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much given Dreamworks history with animation. Usually I'd be expecting something along the lines of the excrement on display in the Madagascar 2 trailer that ran before the film. A trifle, and feeling more than a little familiar following so soon after The Forbidden Kingdom, but still a lot of fun.

Some of the talent is wasted in the film (namely Chan, Rogen and Jolie), however Black, McShane and especially Dustin Hoffman all do excellent work. The kind of interaction between Lung and Shifu is more of what we should have seen in the Star Wars prequels. Many of the character interactions felt fresh, including that between Po and his father. In a lesser film, the father would have made more of an antagonist. Instead, here he's more loving and supportive.

The film is consistently funny and the action, while a little over the top, is at times even a little thrilling (the chopstick fight is one of the best action scenes of the year so far). The only drawback is how obvious Po's strengths are and how it seems to take everyone so long to see them that you're kind of counting time until his true use comes into play.

Good music too.

Spinal
06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Usually I'd be expecting something along the lines of the excrement on display in the Madagascar 2 trailer that ran before the film.

Yeah, that was painful. Did you get the Pink Panther 2 trailer? That was even worse.

Sxottlan
06-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, that was painful. Did you get the Pink Panther 2 trailer? That was even worse.

Yeah, although I did chuckle a bit at him slicing open the movie screen and then trying to tape it up again. A bit.

Didn't even know there was a sequel coming out, but since I never saw the first one, I'm not surprised.

Skitch
06-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Sweet flick. I really, really enjoyed it. The animation was very well done as well.

Did anyone get a Samurai Jack feel from the opening sequence?

Watashi
06-10-2008, 03:58 AM
This movie was awesome, awesome, awesome! Best DreamWorks film since Prince of Egypt.

Hell, this is up there with Pixar's stuff. Not quite Bird level, but it's definitely a step in the right direction for non-Pixar animation.

It had the right script, acting, heart, and overall direction. I was surprised how well it worked on an emotional level without cloying to sentimentalism.

"I've only seen paintings of that painting!"

Watashi
06-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh, and this must be a record for DreamWorks. There was absolutely NO pop culture references, toilet humor, or overbearing song numbers.

Spinal
06-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Yes, the best compliment I can pay is that I completely forgot it was a Dreamworks film. Easily the best of theirs that I have seen.

Ezee E
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
No song numbers?

Maybe I'll see this someday.

Wryan
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh, and this must be a record for DreamWorks. There was absolutely NO pop culture references, toilet humor, or overbearing song numbers.

IN the movie at least. New song, please. And definitely not a bad cover of an overused song, please.

Otherwise it was two tons of fun.

A sequel done in the style of the opening dream sequence...please.

Or just a Samurai Jack movie.

rocus
06-12-2008, 03:50 PM
For what it's worth, I'll add to the love of the movie. It's the first DreamWorks that I can remember liking (I loathe Shrek). This one was great fun and actually had action sequences that I could follow (I'm looking at you Bourne). The fight on the bridge, and the chopstick battle where fantastic. My only problem was that Po was a little too tough. Nothing ever hurt him and it took away some suspense.

Sxottlan
06-13-2008, 07:13 AM
IN the movie at least. New song, please. And definitely not a bad cover of an overused song, please.

Yeah, they just couldn't resist at least one cliche over-used song in the credits.

I've really grown to hate that song.

number8
06-13-2008, 05:59 PM
What song was it? Kung Fu Fighting?

Spinal
06-13-2008, 06:01 PM
What song was it? Kung Fu Fighting?

Yes.

Fezzik
06-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Im going to see this tonight...I'm really looking forward to it.

Any trailers in particular I should keep an eye out for?

Spinal
06-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Any trailers in particular I should keep an eye out for?

Mostly junk when I saw it.

KK2.0
06-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Just flipped through the pages of the film's production design book and it's gorgeous, some incredible concept illustrations.

and it opens here only next month grrrrr

Fezzik
06-14-2008, 01:28 AM
In short, I'm calling this the most pleasant surprise of 2008.

It was incredibly entertaining. There were moments of sheer brilliant audacity (the chopstick fight to name one in particular). On the voice talent front, I was most impressed with Hoffman, Black and McShane, but I adored the master sensei turtle character more than any of them.

Just great fun. Good job Dreamworks.

I think I can honestly say this is their best computer animated film to date, and only behind Prince of Egypt (as Watashi noted) in their overall animated library.

"There is no charge for awesomeness."

transmogrifier
06-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Far be it for me to be the dissenting voice here.........

So I won't. Very good film. Funny where it counted and energetic actions scenes.

Spinal
06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
My boy was just trying to teach the neighbor kid Kung Fu. I had to break it to him that he did not know Kung Fu and therefore should not be giving lessons.

Ezee E
06-15-2008, 12:08 AM
My boy was just trying to teach the neighbor kid Kung Fu. I had to break it to him that he did not know Kung Fu and therefore should not be giving lessons.
Did he manage to put you to sleep after that conversation?

Kurosawa Fan
06-15-2008, 12:57 AM

Awesome. Kids rule. :lol:

Sven
06-17-2008, 02:15 AM
An excellent film. A tad sad that it is so violently predictable, so set on adhering 100% without an inch-wise of breathing space to formulaic plotting. But its animation, spirit, and wit keep it awesome. Colorful, lively, shockingly coherent in its action structure, and has some of the most joyful graphics I've seen in an animated film in quite a while.

Sycophant
06-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Goddammit. I guess I'll watch it.

Watashi
06-17-2008, 06:05 AM
An excellent film. A tad sad that it is so violently predictable, so set on adhering 100% without an inch-wise of breathing space to formulaic plotting. But its animation, spirit, and wit keep it awesome. Colorful, lively, shockingly coherent in its action structure, and has some of the most joyful graphics I've seen in an animated film in quite a while.

Rep for you!

How awesome was James Hong as Po's dad?

Sven
06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
How awesome was James Hong as Po's dad?

Probably my favorite performance.

Kurosawa Fan
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Saw this last night. It was a decent film, but I fail to see what's so exciting about it. It joins Eastern Philosophy 081 (it wouldn't even qualify as a credit course) with a paint-by-numbers plot. A few of the characters are nice (Po, his father, the two teachers), has some funny moments, and it's refreshing not to have the film on pop culture autopilot, but overall I wasn't nearly as impressed as most seem to be. Enjoyable and forgettable.