PDA

View Full Version : Underworld: Blood Wars (Anna Foerster)

TGM
01-16-2017, 03:56 PM
UNDERWORLD: BLOOD WARS

Director: Anna Foerster

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3717252/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
01-16-2017, 04:03 PM
It's been a while since I've seen the first Underworld movies, but I don't remember them being nearly as boring as this one was. (I do recall that being my biggest complaint about the fourth one, however). This is just such a slog of a movie that's so in love with its own mythology, 90% of the movie consists of people talking about other people who I honestly have no clue who or what they're even talking about. Maybe if I had rewatched the earlier movies first I'd have a better idea? But I honestly don't know.

That, and whoever dressed the main villain was being cartoonishly gratuitous with the outfits they were having her wear, to the point where it was quite frankly distracting. Like, she didn't look sexy, which is what I'm pretty sure they were going for, she looked fucking ridiculous wearing the overly-revealing shit they were having her wear.

Most of the action is also a real chore to get through, though the big action scene at the very end of the movie is actually sorta fun. If only the rest of the movie could've been even nearly as fun, but sadly, by that point it's a bit too little, too late.

That said, this is still, without question, the absolute very best movie I've seen this year so far! ;D

Dukefrukem
01-16-2017, 05:50 PM
It's been a while since I've seen the first Underworld movies, but I don't remember them being nearly as boring as this one was. (

Underworld 3 and 4 were super boring.

Dukefrukem
03-14-2017, 07:45 PM
I needed a good mindless action movie after watching Lion, Manchester by the Sea, The Lobster, A Monster Calls, Nocturnal Animals, Captain Fantastic... Though Underworld Blood Wars I probably wouldn't categorize as "good"... It's another installment in a series of previously underwhelming sequels and leather, but surprisingly the fifth movie is more of a reboot. Anna Foerster does her best to refresh your memory of all the events in Underworld 1, 2 and 4 (3 was a prequel), and good thing she did, because I couldn't remember a single event. We are back with the very simple Lycan vs Vampire premise, the tiny twist being Kate Beckinsale's daughter (from the fourth movie) is still sought after because her blood makes vampires or Lycan's unstoppable. It's a race who finds her first.

Charles Dance does his best Bill Nighy impression- the elder respected British vampire. Beckinsale returns as Selena and she does a fine job dispatching Lycans and Vampire spies. The action is fine- generic except for a few scenes I kinda loved, one of them being a jumping out of the water with a sword scene.

I was surprised how much I liked this with comparison in the franchise- I really thought the cheesy action from the previous movie would carry over and ruin it. It's played much straighter like the first movie. What I still hate about these movies, is they supposedly take place in modern time; a war, under the streets and in the shadows away from man. Except, we continue to see giant castles the exist in plain sight, on mountain tops, and this is supposed to be a secret?

Underworld ★★★½
Underworld: Evolution ★★
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans ★½
Underworld Awakening ★½
Underworld: Blood Wars ★★★