PDA

View Full Version : Collateral Beauty (David Frankel)

TGM
12-21-2016, 04:10 PM
COLLATERAL BEAUTY

Director: David Frankel

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4682786/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

TGM
12-21-2016, 04:11 PM
So yeah, this is definitely a trainwreck of a movie, and I can't say that I really liked it, but I also didn't all out hate it? And it's true, it's not exactly the movie that it's being marketed as, but then it also kinda is? I dunno, this is a movie that has a lot of ridiculous twists and turns (one of which I kinda saw coming, but was still ridiculous, another of which is just flat out lunacy and makes this movie even more out of its mind insane than it already was), and along the way features some of the most deplorable people doing the most deplorable things, and is all around really cynical and manipulative. But then, I've also seen far worse and far more offensive in this regard, and maybe I was just expecting this to be even worse than it was?

I dunno, maybe it's the fact that I happened to randomly see this on a Monday night in a random empty theater in this new town that I just recently moved to, in which I just happened to run into an old friend there who doesn't even live in the same state anymore, and who I honestly wasn't even sure I'd ever see again in my life, and getting to randomly and unexpectedly watch this trainwreck with her sorta made the experience more tolerable than it otherwise would have been. So maybe that was the real collateral beauty of this thing for me. XP

But I dunno, the big thing I couldn't stop thinking about throughout was, when we already have such a tremendous movie that tackles grief out there in the form of Manchester by the Sea (which still wrecks me every time even just thinking about it!), this movie stands out all the more as the cynical garbage that it is, and is honestly an entirely pointless movie to even exist right now.

Ezee E
12-21-2016, 06:33 PM
After I saw the trailer for this, I immediately regretted drafting in the fantasy league. How does a cast this grandiose get convinced to do these projects?

Winston*
12-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Looking forward to the How Did This Get Made? episode about this.

TGM
03-15-2017, 08:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fc0T8_5bAo