PDA

View Full Version : Fuzz, Feedback, and Melancholy rockers...a top 40 shoegazer list by DSNT and me

D_Davis
03-08-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.genrebusters.com/images/shoegaze.jpg

I think it's been a while since we've have a top (mope?) rock list around here, so DSNT and I are here to remedy this problem. We will each be presenting our top 20 shoegazer songs, in alternating fashion.

What's more, each song will be made available to you as an mp3, so when we are done, you will have an awesome double album of the best shoegazer music money can buy!

I guess you could say shoegazer music is my "classic rock." This was really the first kind of music I totally got into. My favorite period of music is between the years of 1989 and 1993 - these years are my "'60s." A lot of the music I still listen to is from this period, and many of the new bands I like were influenced by music of this era.

These are years marked by the early days of MTV's 120 Minutes, or Post Modern MTV with Dave Kendall. Back when this station used to actually mean something to music. Believe it or not younglings, MTV used to actually break interesting bands, and 120 Minutes was like NME and Melody Maker on television - this was the place to go to hear the latest stuff.

Anyhow, one of my favorite genres of this era is the shoegazer movement, and so, with a brief history, I'll pass things on to DSNT...

dreamdead
03-08-2008, 04:05 PM
::anxious::

DSNT
03-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Like DD, I’m a rabid shoegaze (or noise pop, dream pop, etc.) fan. I grew up during its heyday, and learned about many of the bands from 120 Minutes and college radio. The one thing that separates shoegaze from more conventional musical genres, at least for me, is how well it ages. I was listening to plenty of other stuff during the early- 1990s, including stuff from other eras (like classic rock, punk and post-punk), but much of it didn’t lend itself to repeated listens. Shoegaze is dense and takes time to peel through the layers, revealing a little more each time, but ultimately improves over time. My favorite albums of the early-1990s are still my favorites today.

A Brief History of Shoegaze ....

The origins of shoegaze are hard to pinpoint, mostly because there are so many of them. Some of the precursors are the Cocteau Twins’ etherealism, the raw noise of Jesus & Mary Chain’s Psychocandy, Sonic Youth’s unique guitar tunings, Spacemen 3’s druggy experimentalism, and even Phil Spector’s wall of sound production techniques of the 1960s. All of the above had some influence, albeit applied differently to different bands. Ultimately, shoegaze was a product of the emergence and artistry of several underground scenes within the 1980s, some of which reached the surface (like Sonic Youth), while many/most maintained their obscurity (like A.R. Kane and Loop). Other musicians heard this music and tried to push the envelope a little further until they reached their own unique sound.

Most would agree that the official beginning of shoegaze as a genre was with the release of My Bloody Valentine, Isn’t Anything in 1988. This was the apex of creativity, and while it had scores of individual influences, it was still unlike anything heard up to that point. Consequently, some argue that the end of the shoegaze era was when Loveless was released in 1991, although I believe that was just the peak, and the genre eventually faded out in 1993.

This movement was mostly British, with bands coming from London, Berkshire, Reading, Manchester, Oxford, and various other locales. A lot of these bands had a DIY approach, but there were a few niche labels, most notably Creation and 4AD, who deserve credit for fanning the flames. There were a couple Americans who could be lumped into the movement, one of which is on my list, but they were more on the outer edges and didn’t have as much internal influence.

The British media was mostly hostile towards the movement. While they embraced some of the artists, they discarded the majority of them. In fact, the moniker of “shoegaze” was meant as an insult because the guitarists were both mopey and had to focus on complex pedal arrangements in order to obtain the sound. The musicians resented the label and several tried to disassociate themselves from it. Regardless of their feelings, the music speaks for itself.

Most of the bands fell apart toward the end of the movement. A few made the transition to a cleaner, more accessible sound. Only one band, The Verve, truly reached commercial success, but a few others were able to carve out respectable careers. Their influence persisted throughout the rise of alternative music in the 1990s, and can be found in chart-topping artists such as Nine Inch Nails and the Smashing Pumpkins. Some of the influence can even be found in contemporary pop bands (yes, even Coldplay, believe it or not). The genre still lives today to a certain degree, but is usually labeled as “newgaze” or “nugaze.“ Some might consider the “post-rock” bands such as Godspeed:You Black Emperor and Sigur Ros to be extensions of the genre. There are still many musicians who record shoegaze-like music, and the cult following has grown thanks to the internet, but it still remains largely underground.

That should do it for now. I'll let DD kick this thing off ....

Kurosawa Fan
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Rock.

D_Davis
03-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Great overview man!

Alright, so I guess we'll probably do a couple of entries per day, one from each of us.

I'm going to kick things off with a bit of the old history...some Shoegazer 101.

20. Again and Again - Lowlife (Album - Eternity Road - 1985)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/lowlife.jpg

I consider Lowlife to be one of the grandfathers of the shoegazer sound. Along with bands like The Close Lobsters, The Church, and The Chameleons, they were the sonic guides for bands to come later. Lush guitars, tons of reverb, and noisy drums - Lowlife had it all. For a while, Will Heggie, a founding member of the Cocteau Twins, was in the band, and they were blasting their sad sounds to the goth crowds around the world. Lowlife is more of a goth band, yes, but upon listening to this track I am sure you will easily hear the very beginnings of the shoegazer movement. The biggest difference here is Craig Lorenston's vocals; deep and agonizing, rather than hushed and boyish, his vocals definitely put the band neck deep in the goth camp. Again and Again is a very loud song. My favorite part of this track is the rhythm section. The drums and bass collide in a powerful driving force creating a solid back-beat for the washed-out reverb-infused guitar.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/again.mp3)

Stay Puft
03-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh my. This thread is going to be the money.

Melville
03-08-2008, 07:31 PM
This should be golden.

Acapelli
03-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Can't wait.

D_Davis
03-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I just noticed something from my Lowlife write up...

"I consider Lowlife to be one of the grandfathers of the shoegazer sound. Along with bands like The Close Lobsters, The Church, and The Chameleons..."

All three of these bands start with "C."

Crazy!

For a while, my favorite bands were:

Spacemen 3
Spectrum
Spiritualized
Slipstream
Stereolab
Slowdive

I spent a lot of time on the "S" section...

DSNT
03-08-2008, 10:35 PM
20. Lorelei, Cocteau Twins (Album - Treasure - 1984)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/cocteautwins.jpg

Speaking of Heggie, my list begins with the album of his former band, after they acquired Simon Raymonde to replace him. I would go as far as saying that the Cocteau Twins were the most influential on the less noisy and more dreamy bands that came later, but are one of the most important figures in the entire movement. Guitarist Robin Guthrie was a masterful noisecrafter, which perfectly complemented Elizabeth Fraser's sublime voice and nonsensical lyrics. This song, to me, is nearly perfect. Robin's riff is ethereal and hypnotically repetitive. Fraser's lyrics are just random, escalating syllables, beginning with whispers, and becoming more unhinged as the song progresses, but not quite bellowing as she does on other songs. The Cocteaus evolved their sound slightly toward the end of the 1980s and early 1990s, and had some moderate commercial success with Heaven or Las Vegas and Four Calendar Cafe. I was fortunate enough to see them during their tour for the latter, and was fortunate to hear this song played live. Needless to say, it was nearly a religious experience.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SEP4R21H)

Horbgorbler
03-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I love Treasure sooooo much.

D_Davis
03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
The C-Twins, Lowlife, and Heggie must have laid a pretty solid foundation for this genre, seeing as how we both picked their projects for our first entries.

I never did get to see them play...

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 01:36 AM
This thread actually make me miss MTV. I would set my VCR to record every Sunday and Wednesday night, and then I would bring the tape to school the next day and we would watch 120 Minutes and Post Modern MTV during lunch. It's sad that I can't believe there was actually a time when I used to discover bands and music on this station.

Spinal
03-09-2008, 01:51 AM
120 Minutes was great. I used to record it too.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 01:54 AM
DSNT, Did you ever hear the band Lorelei? They were on Slumberland records, and I believe they only put out an E.P. and an L.P. The E.P. is fantastic, and it was definitely an influence on many subsequent post-rock bands. Their L.P. was not so great.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 01:55 AM
120 Minutes was great. I used to record it too.

I still have 4 tapes full of stuff, somewhere. But I'm sure most of the stuff is also available on Youtube now...

DSNT
03-09-2008, 04:04 AM
DSNT, Did you ever hear the band Lorelei? They were on Slumberland records, and I believe they only put out an E.P. and an L.P. The E.P. is fantastic, and it was definitely an influence on many subsequent post-rock bands. Their L.P. was not so great.
Yeah, I've heard them here and there and on some compilations, but never was all that impressed. Maybe I'll have to look for the EP somewhere.

And yeah, I seriously miss 120 Minutes. They played a lot of crap, but they also played a lot of groundbreaking stuff, and the videos were so much more visually interesting than the stuff they play today.

Speaking of which, here is the video for Lorelei (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2122M8WVN4o). The shoegazey videos were always the best.

DSNT
03-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Here's another cool old Cocteau video for Carolyn's Fingers (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qh83z5vIP0w), another favorite of mine. Love her voice in this one.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Speaking of which, here is the video for Lorelei (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2122M8WVN4o). The shoegazey videos were always the best.

Heck yeah they were. Tons of video filters to go along with the audio ones.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
19. How You Satisfy Me - Spectrum (Album - Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) - 1992)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/spectrum.jpg

After Jason Spaceman and Sonic Boom called it quits as Spacemen 3, Jason went on to form Spiritualized and Sonic went on to form Spectrum. Soul Kiss is one of the first projects Sonic worked on after the split and it remains one of his best. As the opening track on the album, How You Satisfy Me perfectly sets the tone for what is to come. While most of the shoegazer/noise bands were interested in guitars as their main source of sonic attack, Spectrum relied on a Hammond B3, a Wurlitzer, a Farfisa and a host of other old compact organs. This song is carried by a powerfully distorted organ melody accompanied by a simple, cymbal-driven drum beat. The wall of noise they make with so little is remarkable. Sonic Boom's trademarked vocals and lyrics are in full force (a few lines repeating hypnotically, singing, vaguely, of either a girl, Jesus, or heroine), and the song comes alive with a souped-up '60's psychedelic vibe. From here the album goes off the deep end, and becomes a spaced-out exploration of ambient noise.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/satisfy.mp3)

Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r9yApVj3z84

DSNT
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Good stuff! :up:

I like the direction that Jason took with Spiritualized better, but this is really good. Sonic's stuff has a lot of the S3 sound, although slightly more noise-drenched.

Milky Joe
03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
oh man, this song is sex in a speaker. this thread will serve as an endless source of pleasure for me.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Good stuff! :up:

I like the direction that Jason took with Spiritualized better, but this is really good. Sonic's stuff has a lot of the S3 sound, although slightly more noise-drenched.

I think that Sonic's stuff is often more interesting, but it is also way more hit and miss, with more misses than hits. Jason's stuff is often better, and more consistent, but it is also a little less interesting. Although, I don't think Sonic ever did anything as good as Pure Phase.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
oh man, this song is sex in a speaker. this thread will serve as an endless source of pleasure for me.

Sweet - glad you like.

DSNT
03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I think that Sonic's stuff is often more interesting, but it is also way more hit and miss, with more misses than hits. Jason's stuff is often better, and more consistent, but it is also a little less interesting. Although, I don't think Sonic ever did anything as good as Pure Phase.
I dunno, I thought Jason's stuff was very interesting, but in a different way. I like how he combined the fuzzy guitar with symphonic and gospel sounds, although he eventually took it too far and his recent work is incredibly boring (I fear the new album will be too). That doesn't seem like a direction Sonic would go. Of course I haven't heard a lot of the later stuff, and none of the E.A.R. stuff.

D_Davis
03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I dunno, I thought Jason's stuff was very interesting, but in a different way. I like how he combined the fuzzy guitar with symphonic and gospel sounds, although he eventually took it too far and his recent work is incredibly boring (I fear the new album will be too). That doesn't seem like a direction Sonic would go. Of course I haven't heard a lot of the later stuff, and none of the E.A.R. stuff.

I can see this. Perhaps I should have used the word 'experimental' rather than interesting. I think they are both kind of boring now, but at one time they were both pretty awesome. Spectrum's album Forever Alien and Pure Phase by Spiritualized are my favorites.

DSNT
03-10-2008, 03:05 AM
19. 23, Blonde Redhead (Album - 23 - 2007)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/blonderedhead.jpg

Before 2007, Blonde Redhead weren't a shoegaze band. In fact, they are almost direct descendents of the No Wave scene. Their album 23 was a new direction and more closely resembles the music of the early 1990s than the late 1970s. This album was more carefully produced, not nearly as raw and startling as their earlier work, and a little more melodic. Kazu Makino's voice is a good fit for the style, as it complements the instruments, and ultimately becomes one. The guitar and production work sounds like it was lifted directly from a Kevin Shields outtake, with layer upon layer of beautifully harnessed discordant noise.

Download Track (http://www.beggarsgroupusa.com/mp3/blonderedhead_23.mp3)

Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a7FqUNlEdwA

D_Davis
03-10-2008, 03:47 AM

This is a band that I've never been able to get into, but this track is really good. I've been meaning to check out this album for some time, so thanks for the reminder. I think I'll dig it.

Rowland
03-10-2008, 03:51 AM
You people with all your music knowledges and such...

Anyway, I like shoegaze, so I'll check these out when I can. It's impossible to keep up with the music scene, what with there being fifty billion artists.

Rowland
03-10-2008, 04:01 AM
I seem to be in the minority, but I like Cocteau Twins better when they improved their production values. Treasure sounds like shit. But then, I don't like them much, period. Most of their material blends together for me, and none is terribly memorable or inspiring.

D_Davis
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I like Cocteau Twins better when they improved their production values. Treasure sounds like shit. But then, I don't like them much, period. Most of their material blends together for me, and none is terribly memorable or inspiring.

I'll kind of agree with some of this. While I absolutely love their older stuff, I grew up with this 4AD-sound, I can see how the production of these earlier 80s recordings may not be to someone's liking.

I also know quite a few CT fans who don't care for their last two albums because they did expand their production. I, however, really like them, especially their last album. I actually think it is one of their best.

I also think that their overall body of work is memorable and incredibly inspiring. Everything from their proper albums, to the stuff they did with Harold Budd, and even Robin Guthrie's solo stuff (and some of the stuff he produced as we'll see later). This group of musicians did a lot to shape the sound of their genre.

D_Davis
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
18. There's no Such Thing as Black Orchids - The Lilys (Album - In the Presence of Nothing - 1992)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/lilys.jpg

Legend has it that My Bloody Valentine never recorded a follow up to Loveless because The Lilys already had. I just made that up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. If played back to back, I doubt an untrained ear could decipher the difference between MBV's groundbreaking album and Kurt Heasley's full-length debut. Shoot, sometimes even I get confused. The Lilys are basically just Mr. Heasley, joined by an ever revolving roster of friends and musicians. This album kicked off his shoegazer period which only lasted a short while, but generated two genre-defining albums (more to come later). There's no Such Thing... is a fantastic song. It's got the quiet-loud-quiet-loud formula down to a science, and the instrumentation is spot-on. Heasley has always been a bit of a perfectionist, and it is easy to tell that he studied, at length, the work of Shields and the gang. From the drumming - with the steady, staccato fills - to the drunken guitar tone, this song is a noise-fan's dream. I wish his band would have stayed in this sub-genre for a longer time, because even though this album is really just a pastiche, albeit an incredibly well-made one, I think they really could have pushed the envelope and expanded the sound given some more time.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/blackorchids.mp3)

DSNT
03-11-2008, 03:59 AM
I can understand the complaint about Treasure's production value, but I don't fault the band or label for not having made enough of a name for themself to sink into an album (although This Mortal Coil certainly helped). My favorite albums are Blue Bell Knoll and Victorialand, which had great songs and a far cleaner sound. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Four Calendar Cafe and Heaven or Las Vegas, but Milk & Kisses left me cold.

Guthrie also deserves praise for his soundtrack work on Mysterious Skin ..

Great Lilys song. I love that album, but they lost me when they tried to sound like The Who later.

My # 18 coming right up ..

DSNT
03-11-2008, 04:00 AM
18. Duel, Swervedriver (Album - Mezcal Head - 1993)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/swervedriver.jpg

Swervedriver reached their peak towards the end of the shoegaze era and drew influences equally from both shoegaze and grunge. As a result, their sound is sparser and less atmospheric, a little edgier, direct and more upbeat than most. They still borrow many of the production and guitar effects from others in the genre, including popular labelmates Ride & My Bloody Valentine, which results in a unique sound compared to bands on either side of the ocean. Duel is more of a straightforward pop/rock song, but they had a couple other notable anthems such as Never Lose That Feeling, Last Train to Satansville, The Other Jesus and Son of Mustang Ford that I also recommend.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DIU973SN)

Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F9xCibsXdqI

D_Davis
03-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Great Lilys song. I love that album, but they lost me when they tried to sound like The Who later.

Same here. I've only liked one thing they've done since Ecsame The Photon Band, and that was a little techno EP they put out. Their 60s-psych stuff bores my to death.

D_Davis
03-11-2008, 04:27 AM
18. Duel, Swervedriver (Album - Mezcal Head - 1993)

Good track. These guys were pretty awesome. I was luck enough to see them a couple of times - great live show.

D_Davis
03-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Guthrie also deserves praise for his soundtrack work on Mysterious Skin ..

I hope Guthrie and Budd continue to work together. Their last two albums are amazing.

dreamdead
03-11-2008, 04:45 AM
That Lilys song is really nice. Haven't heard of them before. The verse stuff with the staccato fills intrigues me more so than the chorus (which has a more patently MBV vibe). I can see how they'd be desirable, though.

Swervedriver is interesting; I like the mash-up of styles. Both the grunge and the shoegaze style are well represented here.

What's your guy's thoughts on Jesu (http://www.myspace.com/officialjesu)? I've know they are trying to recreate this musical style, but have also been waved off of them before they don't capture the "spirit" of the style...

D_Davis
03-11-2008, 04:52 AM
That Lilys song is really nice. Haven't heard of them before. The verse stuff with the staccato fills intrigues me more so than the chorus (which has a more patently MBV vibe). I can see how they'd be desirable, though.

Swervedriver is interesting; I like the mash-up of styles. Both the grunge and the shoegaze style are well represented here.

What's your guy's thoughts on Jesu (http://www.myspace.com/officialjesu)? I've know they are trying to recreate this musical style, but have also been waved off of them before they don't capture the "spirit" of the style...

Glad you're liking the stuff so far. I've got some more Lilys coming up - from an album that I think is a damn masterpiece.

I like Jesu. I've been a fan of Justin Broadrick for a very long time, Godflesh is a favorite of mine. Jesu is pretty cool, and I like that Justin sings more because I think he has a killer voice. He sounds exactly like my friend Ryan, so it's kind of creepy. I do think that their songs are a little too long for what they offer, but that's cool. While I dig their stuff, they are not a band I can listen to all the time.

Duncan
03-11-2008, 06:18 AM
I also really like that Lilys song.

I'm not much of a shoegaze guy overall, though. I can get down with some of it - Ride, MBV, Slowdive, etc.

Good list so far, guys.

D_Davis
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Good list so far, guys.

Thanks mate!

And next up...

17. Hazel Would - Starflyer 59 (Album - Silver - 1994)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/starflyer59.jpg

If My Bloody Christian didn't sound so crass, perhaps this is what this band would be called. Okay, not really, but Starflyer 59 did get, “they're the Christian My Bloody Valentine,” a lot. I even read the term “Jesusgazer” disparagingly used once. Ugh. I often wonder if they would be referred to as My Bloody Buddha if they had followed that righteous path? Vishnugazers? Yeah, I doubt it. Yes they did sound a little like MBV (along with 90% of every other shoegazer band), and yes they were a Christian band, but they were more than just a “me too” marketing ploy. They were not just a copy-cat band either, and even upon a casual listen, it is easy to tell that the band had their own unique spin on the established sound. Hazel Would is one of the shortest songs on this list, and it benefits from its 2:54 running time. It's short and powerful, and hits with a great punch. I love the way it just kicks in and hits the ground running. Starflyer's guitar tone is incredible as well, conjuring images of tightly controlled chainsaws and otherworldly arc-welders. The song also features a nice lead-guitar part reminiscent of the Cure or New Order, something that the Daysleepers would capitalize on years later.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/hazel.mp3)

DSNT
03-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Good pick in SF59. The Christian label has always been unfair with them, and gotta give them cred for keeping it going for so long. Even their later albums are pretty good.

I'm going out of town until Monday, so this coming entry will be my last for a little bit ..

DSNT
03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
17. I Can See It (But Can't Feel It), My Bloody Valentine (Album - Isn't Anything - 1988)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/mbv.jpg

As already stated, My Bloody Valentine is the band that started it all. They are the most influential of the era by far, and are the benchmark by which all other shoegaze bands are measured (as evident from DD's posts :D). They began playing jangle pop, some of which I highly recommend (Ecstasy & Wine is a good sampler). Isn't Anything retains a lot of the jangle pop elements, including acoustic guitar and hooks aplenty, while also playing around with unusual rhythms and guitar noise. This song is the last on the album and includes all of these elements. It begins with a slightly out-of-tune and reverb'd guitar riff, playing the same notes together with a tuned acoustic guitar. The highlight of the song is near the end when Kevin and Belinda coo together in melodic accord.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DAQDZS1E)

Here is a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yEriAXqvCuI

D_Davis
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
17. I Can See It (But Can't Feel It), My Bloody Valentine (Album - Isn't Anything - 1988)

Great song. I actually got Isn't Anything after Loveless. I don't think the former was available at the time of the later's release. I discovered MBV's music in reverse order, going from the shoegazing noise of Loveless back to the jangle-pop of Ecstasy Wine, and finally onto their gothic stuff, which wasn't very good at all.

I'll post one more entry and then wait for your return before continuing the list.

Rowland
03-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I find Isn't Anything borderline unlistenable. The production is just... *shudder*

Russ
03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Isn't Anything and Loveless are both great.Never heard it addressed, but I always wondered why they would name themselves after a grade-c slasher flick.

D_Davis
03-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Isn't Anything and Loveless are both great.Never heard it addressed, but I always wondered why they would name themselves after a grade-c slasher flick.

When they started they were a not so good gothic band, so it kind of makes sense.

D_Davis
03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
16. Lasting Real - Readymade (Album - The Dramatic Balanced - 1997)

http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00543/77/21/543941277_l.jpg

I don't know much about this band (I couldn't even find any cool photos). They've always managed to stay under the radar, and it's kind of cool. I know that they hail from Vancouver, BC, and that they've been around since the mid-'90s. I also know that they know how to right some damn fine tunes, and this track is a good example. It's simple, laid back, straightforward, and really catchy. It's definitely one of the poppiest tunes on my list. Lasting Real is an example of what I like to call “driving music.” Back in the day, when my friend Jeff and I used to write and record music like this, we had a test to tell when a song was finished: it had to sound good on my car's tape deck, and it had to be good to listen to while driving and smoking cigarettes. Lasting Real is just such a song. It totally reminds me of those days, and makes me wish I still smoked. Chalk this one up to the nostalgia factor, and if you smoke in your car, drive around and listen to it for me.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/lasting.mp3)

dreamdead
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Hmm, this one feels almost too simple, structure-wise. Perhaps a few more layers could juice it up. The guitar notes before the song finishes are quite effective, but most of it's just a wash of fuzz and reverb. Like you said, it's straightforward, but just a touch more technicality could do wonders for it.

D_Davis
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Hmm, this one feels almost too simple, structure-wise. Perhaps a few more layers could juice it up. The guitar notes before the song finishes are quite effective, but most of it's just a wash of fuzz and reverb. Like you said, it's straightforward, but just a touch more technicality could do wonders for it.

I appreciate it more for its rawness than anything else. I really like how straightforward and simplistic it is. It sounds like it could actually be performed live, and still sound as good - like it actually comes from a band, and not a studio.

Acapelli
03-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Great song. I actually got Isn't Anything after Loveless. I don't think the former was available at the time of the later's release. I discovered MBV's music in reverse order, going from the shoegazing noise of Loveless back to the jangle-pop of Ecstasy Wine, and finally onto their gothic stuff, which wasn't very good at all.
I've listened to MBV the same way, except I never checked out the goth stuff, and no one has given me a good reason.

And davis, Swervedriver are back together touring.

Boner M
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Treasure sounds like shit. But then, I don't like them much, period. Most of their material blends together for me, and none is terribly memorable or inspiring.

I find Isn't Anything borderline unlistenable. The production is just... *shudder*

Stick. With. Movies. :P

D_Davis
03-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I've listened to MBV the same way, except I never checked out the goth stuff, and no one has given me a good reason.

And davis, Swervedriver are back together touring.

Very cool. I actually have a funny story to tell when I get to the MBV track on my list.

So, SD's back together, eh? That's pretty cool; I wonder if they still have it?

Acapelli
03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Very cool. I actually have a funny story to tell when I get to the MBV track on my list.

So, SD's back together, eh? That's pretty cool; I wonder if they still have it?
I'm thinking of going. Did they play a small venue when you saw them davis because that's what they're doing around here.

Derek
03-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't think I've repped you guys yet, but needless to say, it will be coming. I'm a huge fan of shoegaze, so I'll be checking out everything I haven't already heard. Just listened to In the Presence of Nothing D_d and it's fantastic. I hadn't even heard of The Lily's before.

D_Davis
03-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking of going. Did they play a small venue when you saw them davis because that's what they're doing around here.

Yeah - I saw them at the Viper Room. My girlfriend was the booking agent here for a while, and she booked them. We were so excited!

Where are you seeing them?

D_Davis
03-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Just listened to In the Presence of Nothing D_d and it's fantastic. I hadn't even heard of The Lily's before.

It's an awesome album. But I like their next one even more: Eccsame the Photon Band. It's one of my all time favorite albums.

Derek
03-14-2008, 10:50 PM
It's an awesome album. But I like their next one even more: Eccsame the Photon Band. It's one of my all time favorite albums.

Great! Thanks for rec - I'll check it out asap.

D_Davis
03-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Great! Thanks for rec - I'll check it out asap.

It's in the shoegazer realm, but it's mixed with drums in front of the guitars. It has the coolest, biggest drum tone I've ever heard. I've basically been spending the last 15 years of my musical career trying to emulate it.

In the Presence... contains some amazing tracks though. It's a great album, even if it is MBV jr. They totally nailed the pastiche.

Derek
03-14-2008, 10:56 PM
It's in the shoegazer realm, but it's mixed with drums in front of the guitars. It has the coolest, biggest drum tone I've ever heard. I've basically been spending the last 15 years of my musical career trying to emulate it.

In the Presence... contains some amazing tracks though. It's a great album, even if it is MBV jr. They totally nailed the pastiche.

Heh, agreed on the MBV Jr., but that's often the next best thing to MBV themselves. ;)

Their second album sounds awesome from your description. I can't wait to check it out and I'll report back when I do!

D_Davis
03-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Heh, agreed on the MBV Jr., but that's often the next best thing to MBV themselves. ;)

With a genre that is so derivative, sometimes all you really want is a "sounds like..." band.

That's why movements like this are usually love 'em or hate 'em.

However, I'm sure you'll agree, the greats of the genre all added their own little spin and nuance to the sound. The major bands of the movement stand apart, and then there are all the little minor bands, each one kind of "following" one of the major bands. It does seem like the mid-period Slowdive sound generated the most followers though; most of the new-gazer bands remind more of Slowdive than bands like Ride and MBV.

Rowland
03-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Slowdive is probably my favorite of those three bands, but then I also imagine that their sound would be the easiest to emulate.

Boner M
03-15-2008, 02:15 AM
*waiting for Medicine to show up*

Yum-Yum
03-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm waiting for Chapterhouse and Ride to magically appear.

D_Davis
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
*waiting for Medicine to show up*

I'm waiting for Chapterhouse and Ride to magically appear.

Medicine is not on my list. I don't dislike them, they just aren't among my favorites.

Chapterhouse and Ride definitely are, especially Ride....

Horbgorbler
03-16-2008, 12:51 AM
You guys know 7% Solution? I'm listening to All About Satellites and Spaceships right now and enjoying it quite a bit. It pretty much splits the difference between dream-pop and shoegaze, all gauzy and shimmering and such.

D_Davis
03-16-2008, 01:10 AM
You guys know 7% Solution? I'm listening to All About Satellites and Spaceships right now and enjoying it quite a bit. It pretty much splits the difference between dream-pop and shoegaze, all gauzy and shimmering and such.

I don't think I've ever heard of them before.

I wanna say the name sounds familiar, but I can't recall any music. Good?

Horbgorbler
03-16-2008, 01:21 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of them before.

I wanna say the name sounds familiar, but I can't recall any music. Good?

I like it, but I'm pretty picky (and admittedly unknowledgeable, 'specially compared to you guys) about the whole scene, so it might not actually be particularly outstanding. :) Still, it certainly sounds like something I can see you enjoying it.

DSNT
03-17-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm a big fan of Medicine's Shot Forth Self Living, but they barely missed my list. They would have been #21 or 22.

Just back in town and should have this rolling again tomorrow.

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm a big fan of Medicine's Shot Forth Self Living, but they barely missed my list. They would have been #21 or 22.

I did learn to use an old 4-track as a kick ass distortion pedal from Brad Lainer, so that's cool.

DSNT
03-18-2008, 03:44 AM
16. Taste, Ride (Album - Nowhere - 1990)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/ride.jpg

Of all the shoegaze bands, Ride was the most successful at merging creative guitar sounds with upbeat, pop hooks. They were still far from a pop band, but are more accessible compared to many other bands on this list. They even took a step at progressing shoegaze towards mainstream pop rock with their final album, Tarantula, which was a miserable failure and led to their undoing. Taste is a great example of Ride's pop sensibilities and is one of their best songs from their best album. It begins with a thumping drum and bass beat, and doesn't stop once the guitar kicks in. Andy Bell's drawn out vocals lead the chord progressions and song transitions, leaving us with a tight song that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1DZ6X2AU)

Here is a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_tsxz1_pfw

krazed
03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Sweet list. Great idea, wonderful writing.

I'm waiting on Rollerskate Skinny. The Posies' "Solar Sister" would be pretty sweet too, but i dunno if that's really considered shoegaze.

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm waiting on Rollerskate Skinny.

You shall not be disappointed.

They made one of the most creative, dense, and textured modern rock albums of all time.

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 01:38 PM
They even took a step at progressing shoegaze towards mainstream pop rock with their final album, Tarantula, which was a miserable failure and led to their undoing. Taste is a great example of Ride's pop sensibilities and is one of their best songs from their best album.

Great choice from an awesome album. One that I like - a lot. Ride did have a strong '60s psych edge, and they used this difference to their advantage.

Tarantula is terrible, really terrible, and so is the album before it. It's so bad I can't even remember its name.

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 03:19 PM
15. Primal - Slow Dive (Album - Just For a Day - 1991)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/slowdive.jpg

Slowdive. Yes...Slowdive. This name alone conjures many memories for me. Late nights shifting into early mornings, smoking too many cigarettes, lounging around, taking road trips to San Fransisco, and ex-girlfriends...

This album was the soundtrack to my life for a few months, and it pretty much ruled me. My favorite thing about Slowdive are the vocals, and while this may seem like a weird thing to like about a shoegazer band, they are amazing. Rachel Goswell and Neil Halstead simply sing wonderfully together. Their voices compliment each other and the surrounding music perfectly. If I was ever forced to pick a poster song for the genre, Primal would probably be it. It encapsulates everything the genre has come to represent. It's lush and dreamy, but still melodic. It has a strong rhythm, tons of reverb, and an ending that blasts off into a sonic wall of sound. I got to see this band live a couple of times, and both times they ended with Primal. It was amazing.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/primal.mp3)

Derek
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
You shall not be disappointed.

They made one of the most creative, dense, and textured modern rock albums of all time.

I'm gonna hold out hope that you're referring to Shoulder Voices, which I actually prefer to Horsedrawn Wishes. Both are great albums, so any mention at all is great news!

Great pick for Slowdive, especially since I like Just for a Day a bit more than Souvlaki (what's wrong with me?). "Primal" is bloody brilliant, but I would've accepted anything from that album. :)

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm gonna hold out hope that you're referring to Shoulder Voices, which I actually prefer to Horsedrawn Wishes. Both are great albums, so any mention at all is great news!

Great pick for Slowdive, especially since I like Just for a Day a bit more than Souvlaki (what's wrong with me?). "Primal" is bloody brilliant, but I would've accepted anything from that album. :)

Why yes, I am talking about Shoulder Voices. Much better than their second album. Shoulder Voices is one of the most mature, textured, and complex debut albums I've ever heard.

Glad you like Primal. However, I actually prefer Pygmalion to Just for a Day and Souvlaki - as will be made abundantly clear much later! :)

Derek
03-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Why yes, I am talking about Shoulder Voices. Much better than their second album. Shoulder Voices is one of the most mature, textured, and complex debut albums I've ever heard.

Oh wow, awesome! I haven't heard all that much about Rollerskate Skinny, but it sounded like their second album is widely regarded as being better.

Glad you like Primal. However, I actually prefer Pygmalion to Just for a Day and Souvlaki - as will be made abundantly clear much later! :)

See, now that's just crazytalk. I have only heard Pygmalion once, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as their other two ablums. I will definitely have to return to it soon.

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh wow, awesome! I haven't heard all that much about Rollerskate Skinny, but it sounded like their second album is widely regarded as being better.

Their second album is definitely more accessible, but it is made so at the expense of the creativity and complexity of Shoulder Voices. I also think that Shoulder Voices is better produced; it has more dynamics.

It tool me a long time (and a little tab of something else) to fully appreciate Shoulder Voices. But as it stands now, I think it is a masterpiece.

dreamdead
03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Winston made me check out Slow Dive's "Souvlaki" for a cd swap. That was the first time I actually heard the term shoegaze (shows how heavily I was into the mainstream and how little I knew about underground movements of the '90s) and I've been fascinated since. Looks like I might have to backtrack to SD's earlier album 'cause this is equally beautiful stuff.

Btw, SD's "Country Rain" might get the vote for my favorite of their material...

D_Davis
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Btw, SD's "Country Rain" might get the vote for my favorite of their material...

This is an interesting choice.

This is more in tune with my favorite Slowdive track. Country Rain was one of the bonus tracks recorded after Souvlaki, and serves as a great transition into what they eventually did with Pygmalion.

DSNT
03-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Great choice from an awesome album. One that I like - a lot. Ride did have a strong '60s psych edge, and they used this difference to their advantage.

Tarantula is terrible, really terrible, and so is the album before it. It's so bad I can't even remember its name.
That was Carnival of Light, and I'm with you on its awfulness, although it had a couple bright spots where Tarantula had none.

Good choice with Primal. Slowdive could slow it down like no other. You'll find out more about my feelings towards them later on in my list.

Country Rain is good too. It sounds like it could be on Pygmalion.

D_Davis
03-19-2008, 01:24 AM
That was Carnival of Light, and I'm with you on its awfulness, although it had a couple bright spots where Tarantula had none.

Good choice with Primal. Slowdive could slow it down like no other. You'll find out more about my feelings towards them later on in my list.

Country Rain is good too. It sounds like it could be on Pygmalion.

Yeah - Carnival of Light had one or two good tracks, and Tarantula had none. Damn, what the hell happened to them? It's like they completely dried up creatively.

Country Rain could totally be on Pygmalion - its a great transitional song.

Man do I ever wish that Slowdive would have continued on with the Pygmalion sound for just a while longer. But no, they had to move to California and start surfing! I would love to hear a more transitional album between Pygmalion and the first Mojave 3 album.

DSNT
03-19-2008, 01:35 AM
I dunno, I kind of liked M3 and don't see what creative avenues Slowdive could have taken after Pygmalion. I also kinda like that their music never got watered down a la Ride's. Kinda like the sports great who retires after winning a championship.

D_Davis
03-19-2008, 01:42 AM
I dunno, I kind of liked M3 and don't see what creative avenues Slowdive could have taken after Pygmalion. I also kinda like that their music never got watered down a la Ride's. Kinda like the sports great who retires after winning a championship.

I like M3 as well, but usually only about 1/2 the tracks on each album.

I see your point, and at the end of the day I probably agree. It just seems like they shifted to the M3 sound really quickly, after having just started to really explore with ambient and electronic/experimental music.

Maybe you're right, maybe they did ride that wave as far as they could.

I make a note in a future write up stating that, unlike Ride and Verve, Slowdive grew more interesting as they went.

DSNT
03-19-2008, 02:06 AM
I make a note in a future write up stating that, unlike Ride and Verve, Slowdive grew more interesting as they went.

I can definitely agree with that!

My next entry is coming right up ...

Rowland
03-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Slowdive's music may have grown more ambitious with each progressive album, but I still find Just for a Day the most replayable, or at least the recent re-release version that includes some of their early material as well.

"you're knocking on the door I closed today... and everything looks brighter..."

D_Davis
03-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Slowdive's music may have grown more ambitious with each progressive album, but I still find Just for a Day the most replayable, or at least the recent re-release version that includes some of their early material as well.

"you're knocking on the door I closed today... and everything looks brighter..."

It probably just comes down to taste.

I go through periods in which I listen to Pygmalion every day. It is by far my most listened to Slowdive album.

The reissue contains the early E.P.s right, The stuff that was collected for the album Blue Day?

My import version of Souvlaki came with the Blue Day album.

DSNT
03-19-2008, 03:23 AM
15. Everso, The Telescopes (Album - Everso E.P. - 1990)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/telescopes.jpg

These guys are often overlooked within the shoegaze genre, and they might have been completely forgotten if it weren't for Anton Newcombe of Brian Jonestown Massacre (you know, the a-hole from DiG!) reissuing their records. I like most of their body of work, but their early single Everso ranks up with the best of the genre. The guitar riff is simple but effective, the type that gets stuck in ones head and lends itself to replayability. Again, it's a simple pop song, but sometimes less is more.

Unfortunately I don't have this for download as I cannot find the original file. If anyone has it, please post to Megaupload and leave a link.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SmURpDJj4

Click here to download "Flying" from their 1992 album, which is also very good. (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6XD1IREY)

D_Davis
03-19-2008, 03:48 AM
15. Everso, The Telescopes (Album - Everso E.P. - 1990)

I overlooked this band for years. It wasn't until about 2000 that I first heard them. Good stuff. They always reminded me of LOOP, Blue Cheer, and The Creation, or maybe even Galaxy 500 because of their lo-fi sound. They had a cool '60s vibe. I wish I would have gotten into these guys during the 90s.

Good choice! I like these lesser known acts of the genre.

It looks like they recorded that video at the same time as Primal Scream recorded Come Together - they even shared haircuts and clothes!

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEnjrJ_MQo8

Yum-Yum
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Nice write up, d. "Taste" is hands down my favourite Ride song.

D_Davis
03-19-2008, 01:28 PM
14. Black Metallic - Catherine Wheel (Album - Ferment - 1991)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/catherine.jpg

The rockers of the genre, the grunge shoegazers if you will. If Catherine Wheel had been a band in the 1980s they would have been a metal band (Rob Dickinson, the lead singer, is cousins with Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson). These dudes totally rock. They're one of the best live acts I've ever seen. The way they harness and unleash their power is astonishing. I saw them five times, and each time was a total treat for my ears. Black Metallic, while some may argue against its shoegazer status, probably received more mainstream radio airplay than all of the other songs on my list combined - and multiplied by ten. Yes, this song was over-played, but damn is it ever a good tune. Black Metallic is epic, loud, powerful, and beautiful. There is some wonderful guitar work here with many layers of distortion, a feedback solo, and rhythm. It also features are genuine guitar solo, something you don't hear from too many of these groups. Catherine Wheel were masters of loud, atmospheric rock, and Black Metallic morphs from near head-banging rock 'n roll, to blissed-out ambiance, each part bristling with texture.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/black.mp3)

bac0n
03-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Wow. This song is spectacular. I'll definitely need to check these folks out.

DSNT
03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks man.

I got a little behind this week, but should have an update coming later today.

DSNT
03-22-2008, 05:52 PM
14. Run, Spiritualized (Album - Lazer Guided Melodies - 1992)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/spiritualized_promo1.jpg

Spiritualized was Jason Pierce's spinoff band from Spacemen 3. Initially his music was lumped into the shoegaze genre, but over time, and after pushing some boundaries with Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating Into Space and Pure Phase, he broke out of the mold of both shoegaze and the legacy of his first band. Today Spiritualized is something completely different, and frankly not very good, but I can forgive him on the strength of the first few albums. His debut, Lazer Guided Melodies, was as much shoegaze as anything else, but it still did retain a lot of the S3 guitar sound. Run stands out, not only on the album, but among all of Pierce's work. The song is tightly structured, and all over the place at the same time - for instance, the intro sounds like prog, the verse sounds shoegaze, and the chorus sounds like Spacemen 3. It is a uniquely fun and catchy ride.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVYKL7J7)

Here is the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lp7wh6TS55U

Note: the album version sounds much better than the YouTube video.

Derek
03-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Great pick, I love that song. I actually like LGM a bit more than Pure Phase, though Ladies and Gentlemen and The Perfect Prescription are my personal faves from Pierce. I'm holding out hope that their new album will be great, but I have a feeling it'll be more like Amazing Grace than I'd like. :(

D_Davis
03-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Good pick. LGM is an awesome album. My two favorite Spiritualized albums are Fucked Up Inside and Pure Phase. Run is one of my favorite songs by them though. Good stuff.

D_Davis
03-23-2008, 01:48 PM
13. Babymaker - Pale Saints (Album - In Ribbons)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/palesaints.jpg

The Pale Saints were on the fringe of the shoegazer movement, often over looked and forgotten about. But this is not for a lack of creativity or skill, because when stacked up against any band on this list the Saints hold there own and then some. They were on the legendary 4AD record label, and thus they had style to spare. They just did their own thing, and they always seemed to stand apart from the pack. They started off as a more jangly-pop band, ala The Birds, with their Rickenbacker infused sound, but they quickly morphed into the realms of dream-pop.

While I knew they had to appear on this list, it was hard to pick a single song. Their songs are often much better when taken in context to the album and the surrounding tracks. They were experts at assembling albums.

Babymaker is a great song, and is as good as place as any to break into their catalog. This is one of the most upbeat songs on my list, and it really packs a driving tempo with some great drum and tambourine work. It also has a nice breakdown with some soft acoustic guitar and tripped out floor-tom work. Ian Masters, their lead singer, has a unique voice, and this was something that set them apart from other shoegazer bands. Good melodies, great rhythm, and nice production - Babymaker is classic Saints, and its from their last really great record.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/babymaker.mp3)

DSNT
03-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Good pick. I agree that they're oft overlooked and their stuff also translates better as albums than songs.

Also glad you didn't pick Sight of You, which seems to be their most popular, or at least most anthologized. It's a fine song, but the lyrics are so bad that they take me out of it. They should have just obscured them with noise. Love that album tho.

dreamdead
03-23-2008, 08:39 PM
First time I've heard any of these last three selections was by clicking the links, but I'm loving all of them. Simply because Black Metallic lasts the longest and thus develops the most atmosphere, I'm replaying that one the most. Apparently Ohio mainstream stations didn't get into shoegaze 'cos even this one isn't familiar at all.

DSNT
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
13. Slowdive, Slowdive (Album - Slowdive E.P. - 1990)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/Slowdive_band.jpg

Fittingly, their self-titled is the first song to be released, on the EP also of the same name. This is the early stages of the band, long before the excursions into ambience and electronica, long before the glossy production, and long before the cult following began. The is strictly the guitar and voice backbone. The slightly distorted guitar and the dreary Halstead/Goswell harmonies remained intact throughout most of their musical evolution. The music advanced, but they seldom had finer moments than their somewhat subtle (by comparison) beginning. A lot of adjectives can be used to describe the rest of Slowdive's work, but few songs are as "rocking" as this one.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F3KPHVTC)

I can't find a video, so here's a live performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PtiD1ATVmwM

D_Davis
03-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Also glad you didn't pick Sight of You, which seems to be their most popular, or at least most anthologized. It's a fine song, but the lyrics are so bad that they take me out of it. They should have just obscured them with noise. Love that album tho.

I agree.

Hey, you think the Cranberries liked Sight of You?

:)

D_Davis
03-24-2008, 12:48 AM
First time I've heard any of these last three selections was by clicking the links, but I'm loving all of them. Simply because Black Metallic lasts the longest and thus develops the most atmosphere, I'm replaying that one the most. Apparently Ohio mainstream stations didn't get into shoegaze 'cos even this one isn't familiar at all.

Really? Man, the local "alt-rock" station where I was played the hell out of Black Metallic. To the point where I almost got sick of it. It's a fantastic song though. Glad you like it. The whole is really good. I almost picked a different song from it, one called Indigo. Their second album is awesome also, more rock.

This is probably my favorite of the E.P.s. Good stuff. I like that they had a theme song. :)

D_Davis
03-24-2008, 01:00 AM
12. She's a Superstar - Verve (Album - Single, and The Verve E.P. (featuring an edited version) 1992)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/verve.jpg

Like too many other bands, as The Verve matured they lost their sonic edge and their songs became formulaic, uninteresting, and dull. It's really too bad, because their first handful of E.P.s and A Storm in Heaven (as you'll hear later...), their debut album, are amazing. It's some of the best, most sonically interesting, well-crafted music I've ever heard. They were also a fantastic live band. The first time I saw them, at Slims in San Fransisco, the ticket was only $7, and the show wasn't even sold out. Each subsequent time I saw them, the crowd grew and grew in direct relation to the growing mediocrity of their music. She's a Superstar is the A-side to one of their very first singles, it also appears on the self-titled debut E.P. The Verve were, early in their career, masters of dynamics. Their songs featured moments that were whisper-quiet, offset by movements of sonic waves of distortion. They also had some of the best production around - their drum and guitar tones were simply to die for. She's a Superstar is an epic example of how incredible this band was.

She's a Superstar is nearly 8-minutes of beautiful sonic bliss.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/superstar.mp3)

DSNT
03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
12. Breather, Chapterhouse (Album - Whirlpool - 1991)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/chapterhouse.jpg

Chapterhouse is another Reading band, like Slowdive, but unlike Slowdive they had one amazing album and one crap album before disappearing from the globe. Breather is the first song on the good album, Whirlpool. It isn't nearly as well-known as the track that follows it, nor should it be, but it stands out as an amazing song in its own right. The shoegaze sound is apparent in this song, as it is throughout the album (they were good friends with Sonic Boom, after all), but it also draws from the Madchester and early Britpop sound. If you listen closely, you can hear a little bit of The Cure, The Smiths and the Stone Roses all buried underneath the noise.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WCT98K3W)

D_Davis
03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm disappointed...no comments on how awesome old Verve is.

Good choice with Breather. I, too, will make mention of Chapterhouse's Madchester and Shoegazer marriage quite soon, with the song you hinted at in your write up.

I don't think their second album was all that crappy - it actually had some good stuff, and style-wise, it was ahead of its time. It was almost like a Shoegazer/rave album. It was far from great, but I think it could have served as a transition into something better had they stuck around.

D_Davis
03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
11. Lazarus - Boo Radleys

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/boo.jpg

The Boo Radleys are one of my all-time favorite bands. I own over 200 songs by this group. They only toured America twice. I went to Lollapalooza just to see them play on the side stage. Sice, the lead singer, was pissed because a bunch of hippies were playing hackysack rather than listening, and other people were being noisy jerks. He asked them why they would come to a concert and then not pay attention to the music. He got really pissed off, threw his guitar into the air and watched as it fell and impaled the speaker of his amp. They then continued with the concert. It was awesome. I got to meet them. I kissed Sice on his bald head, and they gave me a private little acoustic concert in their tour bus. It was incredible. My biggest groupie moment, ever.

The Boo Radleys never made a huge name for themselves, mainly because they didn't care about playing the game. They were never involved in any drama and they never had a band rivalry (like Blur versus Oasis, or The Stone Roses versus The Charlatans). They just wrote, played, and performed some of the best modern rock around. Lazarus is from their second full-length album, Giant Steps, an album I consider to be one of top 100 albums of all time. The Boos often mixed and mashed genres up like it was going out of style. They dabbled in psych, Beach Boys-pop, dub, shoegazer, and trip hop, and did all with equal skill. Lazarus is classic Boo: it's got a dub intro, followed by alternating moments of sublime quietness and brazen loudness. Martin Carr's guitar tone is amazing - he totally owns this album - Sice's vocals are awesome, and it also features Steve Kitchen on the trumpet; they may have been the only shoegazer band to employ a full time horn player.

I believe that this album should be in every serious music-fan's collection. It's just dang good.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/lazarus.mp3)

DSNT
03-26-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm disappointed...no comments on how awesome old Verve is.

Oh, the Verve is awesome indeed, especially those first two albums. I really like Urban Hymns too, but in a different way.

Lazarus rocks!

Llopin
03-27-2008, 07:15 PM
The Boos should come back together, since it's oh so cool to reunite these days, they certainly would have a more attentive and wide audience. And while they're at it they could tour Europe, just for kicks. Not Lollapalooza, though. Not there. I still remember those hot summer evenings listening to "Lazy Day" on repeat.

I still haven't gotten myself an alarm clock which would play "Wake Up, Boo!" to my sleepy ears each shitty morning.

D_Davis
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I still haven't gotten myself an alarm clock which would play "Wake Up, Boo!" to my sleepy ears each shitty morning.

I woke up to "Wake Up, Boo!" every morning for about a year.

I don't know what Martin Carr is up to now that Brave Captain is done with, and Sice's new project, Paperlung, is pretty boring.

Yum-Yum
03-27-2008, 11:32 PM

You're right, this song does rock. You know, as much as a Slowdive song can rock.

I was going through a bit of a techno rave phase in early '94, so I didn't attend this gig, but through the magic of the internets:

Slowdive at Lee's Palace in Toronto (http://youtube.com/watch?v=adVyb86cfig)

DSNT
03-28-2008, 03:41 AM
11. Listen, the Snow is Falling, Galaxie 500 (Album - This Is Our Music - 1990)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/galaxie500.jpg

Believe it or not, G500 is the only American band to make it onto my list. This makes sense given that shoegaze was almost exclusively British scene. There are some exceptions, but none were as important, or as good as the core. Galaxie 500 is categorized unfairly, as they are far more about the Velvet Underground and Jonathan Richman than dream pop. Some of their stuff like this seems to fit, but in an unusual way. This Yoko Ono cover is close enough. It begins with Naomi's angelic voice over Dean Wareham's soft strumming, and devolves about halfway through into a jamfest that transcends any genre and simply kicks ass. Unfortunately Naomi didn't get to sing too much with the band (her only other song is Another Day), and it turned out her later stuff without Dean lacked punch.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MM38DSEI)

Rowland
03-28-2008, 03:43 AM
I remember listening to one of these guys' albums and feeling rather meh about it, maybe I'll give them another shot.

DSNT
03-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Hmm, as much as I love the early Boo, I'd be worried that a reunion would be too much about their later britpop stuff, which I just couldn't get into.

I missed Slowdive too. The closest I've come was 2 Mojave 3 shows. I saw them on the last tour and there were about 15 people there. It was sad. Neil said he would take requests , so I shouted "When the Sun Hits." He smiled and said he couldn't play those songs. I also got to talk to him at the bar before the show, which was kinda cool.

D_Davis
03-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Nice pick.

Dean Wareham is one of my favorite songwriters and performers. While I like G500, I've always preferred Luna. Penthouse is an incredible album, one of the most romantic rock albums I've ever heard.

It was always cool that Luna performed G500 songs live.

I think Listen the Snow is Falling was the first song of theirs I ever heard.

D_Davis
03-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Hmm, as much as I love the early Boo, I'd be worried that a reunion would be too much about their later britpop stuff, which I just couldn't get into.

I missed Slowdive too. The closest I've come was 2 Mojave 3 shows. I saw them on the last tour and there were about 15 people there. It was sad. Neil said he would take requests , so I shouted "When the Sun Hits." He smiled and said he couldn't play those songs. I also got to talk to him at the bar before the show, which was kinda cool.

I wouldn't want to see or hear a Boo's reunion either. I think Giant Steps was their last truly great record, but their subsequent albums had some good moments. C'mon Kids has some pretty awesome songs, but, yes, they did get a little too britpoppy for my tastes.

I saw Slowdive 2 or 3 times. They were great.

DSNT
03-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Nice pick.

Dean Wareham is one of my favorite songwriters and performers. While I like G500, I've always preferred Luna. Penthouse is an incredible album, one of the most romantic rock albums I've ever heard.

It was always cool that Luna performed G500 songs live.

I think Listen the Snow is Falling was the first song of theirs I ever heard.
I was never a big fan of Luna, but my wife is rabid. Saw them during their reunion tour and even though I don't like their material as much, they seriously rocked the house. And they played Tugboat too.

D_Davis
03-28-2008, 04:02 AM
I was never a big fan of Luna, but my wife is rabid. Saw them during their reunion tour and even though I don't like their material as much, they seriously rocked the house. And they played Tugboat too.

They are an awesome live band. They're better live than they are on CD.

Every time I saw them, they closed with Fourth of July - pretty cool. Man, I still remember seeing the video for this song on 120 Minutes. Good times.

Have you heard Damon & Naomi with Ghost? It's pretty good. I think it is a bit over-produced, and loses the raw sounds of G500's best, but it has some good tracks.

D_Davis
03-28-2008, 04:04 AM
10. Pearl - Chapterhouse (Album - Whirlpool - 1991)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/capasculto/Whirlpool.jpg

With Pearl, Chapterhouse properly married the acid-house sounds of the Madchester movement with the dream-pop sounds of the shoegazers. The rhythm here is all drum machine and samples, joined by loops of guitars and noise. I think Chapterhouse were a little ahead of their time, especially by the time they released their second album which was mash-up of rave, techno, and noise. Pearl was among their first singles. It was produced by Robin Guthrie and features Elizabeth Fraser (both from the Cocteau Twins, again with this band!) on back up vocals. The song is simple; it's composition is straightforward and the individual parts are nothing spectacular. However, when combined together they create a tapestry thick with detail. The washed-out, swirling guitar noise creates an audio vortex that sucks you into a hypnotic state of pure bliss.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/pearl.mp3)

DSNT
03-28-2008, 04:13 AM
They are an awesome live band. They're better live than they are on CD.

Every time I saw them, they closed with Fourth of July - pretty cool. Man, I still remember seeing the video for this song on 120 Minutes. Good times.

Have you heard Damon & Naomi with Ghost? It's pretty good. I think it is a bit over-produced, and loses the raw sounds of G500's best, but it has some good tracks.
I've only heard the first two of their albums, which I probably still have somewhere. Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but I couldn't really get into either. Perhaps someday I'll check out WG.

Good write-up on Pearl .. agreed that each little bit isn't all that thrilling, but the sum of its parts is complete bliss -- especially when the backing vocals kick in. I didn't realize that was Liz.

D_Davis
03-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Funny story about Whirlpool: I didn't know the picture on the cover was of a cat for many, many years. I just thought it was some kind of puff ball, or strange flower or something.

D_Davis
03-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Speaking of G500, I'm glad you didn't pick Fourth of July. I think I need to listen to this band more, thanks for the reminder!

DSNT
03-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Speaking of G500, I'm glad you didn't pick Fourth of July. I think I need to listen to this band more, thanks for the reminder!Nope, but I like the song. It would probably make my top 10. Flowers, Snowstorm, Blue Thunder, Tugboat .. they had some great songs. Some great covers too, like Young Marble Giant's Final Day and New Order's Ceremony.

Llopin
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Whirlpool is such a good album...

I'd kill to see Slowdive. When I saw Neil Halstead solo a couple years ago, he even did play "Dagger" and we all drooled excitedly. I find Mojave 3 to be a remarkable band, but a far cry from the prime (and Rachel feels underused).

Oh, and "Listen, the Snow is Falling" has always been my favourite track off that album. It's one of these songs in which you can shut yourself into and let go, a supreme attack on the senses, just pure bliss. I'll keep pimpin' on Damon and Naomi, they can conjure really beautiful moments (excellent live show, too).

Can't get enough of this thread.

D_Davis
03-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Whirlpool is such a good album...

Can't get enough of this thread.

It is a good album. I think the only track I don't really like is Autosleeper, it just does nothing for me.

Glad you like the thread!

DSNT
03-29-2008, 11:26 PM
10. Nothing Natural, Lush (Album - Spooky - 1992)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/lush.jpg

Miki Berenyi took the torch that had been passed by Liz Fraser, and in my opinion was the best female vocalist of the shoegaze era. She also had a unique, colorful style that fit well with the music, and this is one of the few examples where the physical appearance of the artist correlated well with the music. Their videos are a good example of this, and probably are a good reason why they were among the most popular gazer bands in America. Nothing Natural is their best song in my opinion, off their best album. My favorite part is when it breaks down and ends with Miki and Emma making their "da da da" sounds.

Of all the bands from this era, Lush's ending is definitely the saddest. They had successfully transitioned out of shoegaze and into britpop with their 1996 album Lovelife (which wasn't bad, even if it wasn't as good as the early stuff), when drummer Chris Acland committed suicide. That was the end of the band.

As for the rest, only Emma is still full-time in music with Sing-Sing (http://www.myspace.com/singsinguk). Miki works a regular job and has done some occasional guest vocal work. Her interview from earlier this year (http://vonpipmusicalexpress.wordpress .com/2008/01/25/sweetness-and-light-the-miki-berenyi-interview-2008/) is interesting and worth the read.

Download track (http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/13/377526/02%20Nothing%20Natural%20%28Al bum%20Version%29.mp3)

Check out the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wt6Ubq0gL_w

D_Davis
03-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Great choice with Lush. I, sadly, realized awhile ago that I had forgotten to include them on my list!

What an oversight!

Oh well, at least you represent.

Gala is an amazing collection of E.P.s, and contains some incredible songs, as does Spook.

I think my two favorite tracks by the group are Sweetness and Light, and Girl's World.

Good stuff, and I'm glad you remembered them.

I should hang my head in shame... :(

Llopin
03-30-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm always been in love the most with "Single Girl", even if Lovelife isn't their finest hour. But their list of groovy songs is a long one... "Blackout", "Superblast", "Sweetness and Light", "For Love"... (I've got an EP on vinyl with that last one, I used to listen to it all the time).

D_Davis
03-30-2008, 04:38 AM
9. Suzanne - Moose (single - 1992)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/moose.jpg

I know next to nothing about this band's history. Despite critical and underground praise, Moose never really took off, and they seemed content to just exist below the surface of popularity. Their posthumous Myspace page credits them for having started the term 'shoegazer;' their lead singer used to gaze at lyrics taped to the floor while playing live. I don't know if this is true or not, but it's a nice little anecdote. Moose was on the fringe of the genre, and their sound really was all over the map. They did have a unique sound though, often utilizing 12-string guitars and busy drum parts. A large part of their obscurity stemmed from the fact that their albums and E.P.s were always impossibly hard to come by. But now, thanks to iTunes, three of their albums are available, cheep, and ready to be listened to. Unfortunately, the track I've chosen is from an unavailable E.P. Suzanne is a great song, and features an awesome drum part. The guitar slowly builds in volume, become noisier as the song progresses until it practically explodes at the end.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/suzanne.mp3)

Spinal
03-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Lush is probably the only band in this subgenre that I know reasonably well. "De-Luxe" is my personal favorite.

D_Davis
03-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Lush is probably the only band in this subgenre that I know reasonably well. "De-Luxe" is my personal favorite.

I can also see you really liking The Pale Saints. For some reason I think you'd dig these guys. Try to check out their albums, In Ribbons and The Comforts of Maddness.

Do you listen to Belly or Throwing Muses?

Throwing Muses are awesome. 4AD had all of my favorite "girl" bands. Not that they were shoegazers...

Spinal
03-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Do you listen to Belly or Throwing Muses?

Throwing Muses are awesome. 4AD had all of my favorite "girl" bands. Not that they were shoegazers...

Oh yeah. Throwing Muses is a top 5 band for me easy. I adore Kristin Hersh in all her various incarnations. Belly is good too and I like them a lot, but the Muses are special.

D_Davis
03-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Oh yeah. Throwing Muses is a top 5 band for me easy. I adore Kristin Hersh in all her various incarnations. Belly is good too and I like them a lot, but the Muses are special.

I definitely preferred TM when Hersh and Donnelly were in the band, and I prefer their first couple of albums over anything they've done since. Really good stuff.

Yum-Yum
03-30-2008, 10:44 AM
10. Pearl - Chapterhouse (Album - Whirlpool - 1991)

I love this song. It used to get a lot of play at this industrial/goth club I used to frequent. I don't know why it got played there, but then again, I think it might've had something to do with the song's driving beat and the Siouxsie and the Banshees sample. (Though, to be honest, I'm not actual sure who sampled who.)

10. Nothing Natural, Lush (Album - Spooky - 1992)

I saw Lush during their Spooky tour and recall it being one of the best shows I attended that particular year. I also remember it having some excellent mosh pit action and lots of lovesick Miki fans yelling pg-rated come-ons. Oh, and of course, Nothing Natural sounded kick ass live.

I adore Kristin Hersh in all her various incarnations.

This statement reeks of saneness.

Spinal
03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I definitely preferred TM when Hersh and Donnelly were in the band, and I prefer their first couple of albums over anything they've done since. Really good stuff.

My first experience of them was seeing them live on the University tour, so that probably colors my perspective. Tanya was a welcome discovery on CD for me, but Kristin belting out "Shimmer" is what I fell in love with.

Lush is another band I got into a little late. Saw them on the Lovelife tour and then shortly after, they were no more.

DSNT
03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the comments on Lush. I agree that they were an amazing live band. I was fortunate to see them twice -- once on the Split tour and also on their final Lovelife tour (we've talked about this before, haven't we YY?). They were amazing both times, although I found that they were more shoegazey on the earlier tour, and used the venues color schemes with their songs. It was a slightly more surreal experience. They were more of a straightforward pop band the second time around, albeit a damned good one.

I tried Moose, but couldn't get into them. In their defense, I was exposed more to their later stuff, which sounded a lot more like OMD than anything shoegaze. Hadn't heard this track, which is a lot better!

D_Davis
03-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I tried Moose, but couldn't get into them. In their defense, I was exposed more to their later stuff, which sounded a lot more like OMD than anything shoegaze. Hadn't heard this track, which is a lot better!

Really? I'll have to check out some of their later stuff, as I've been listening to a lot of OMD recently. I've only ever heard a handful of E.P.s and one full-length album, Honey Bee, which is really good. Very eclectic.

Suzanne is an incredible song, I can't get enough of it.

DSNT
03-31-2008, 01:04 AM
9. Souvlaki Space Station, Slowdive (Album - Souvlaki - 1993)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/272/slow7qf.jpg

Yes, another Slowdive song, but they were such a groundbreaking band, with such nuance in their entire body of work, that about a dozen songs have a shot at making such a list. Souvlaki Space Station is their peak of mixing songcraft with soundcraft. The song is immediately absorbing and immersive. Rachel's vocals, while nearly unintelligible, have never sounded better (although Machine Gun comes close).

Download Track (http://home.comcast.net/~finestkiss5/chansons/Slowdive-SouvlakiSpaceStation.mp3)

D_Davis
03-31-2008, 01:15 AM
Some shoegaze-dub.

Nice pick.

While I prefer both Alison and Machine Gun from this album, I do have to give props to your pick for sheer inventiveness. It is a very dense and textured song.

I wonder which band will end up having the most picks, Ride or Slowdive?

D_Davis
03-31-2008, 02:05 AM
8. Polar Bear - Ride (Album - Nowhere - 1990)

http://www.genrebusters.com/images/ride.jpg

Ride is another band like The Verve - but they started to suck even more, and by the time their final album was released they were all but unlistenable. However, nothing, absolutely nothing they could do could ever tarnish the reputation of Nowhere. This gets my vote for the best shoegazer album of all time. Every track on this album is awesome. It has some of the best drum work I've ever heard, and the buzzsaw-guitars create nuanced soundscapes that sparkle, swirl, and blast off into the stratosphere. Mixed by Alan Moulder, one of the UK's top producers, Nowhere shines like a beacon of light in a sea of darkness. Polar Bear is an incredible track. It begins with a phase-shifting tremolo guitar which is quickly joined by a pounding drum beat and an awesome bass line. Ride were capable of creating a ton of atmosphere with their music; it possesses a strange visual quality to it, you can practically see the lyrics and music joined in a kaleidoscopic dance. I would love to conceptualize a video for every song on this album. And as good as this song is, you should know that there is one from the same album that is even better...

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/polarbear.mp3)

Duncan
03-31-2008, 03:01 AM
Love that song.

Stay Puft
03-31-2008, 06:38 AM
I love Slowdive. Great pick, DSNT (though I, too, prefer Machine Gun).

And that Moose track, Suzanne, is awesome. Never listened to these guys before.

Llopin
03-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Ride and Slowdive are really the two bands that should be plaguing this list, and rightly so. Both "Nowhere" and "Souvlaki" are two of my very favorite albums of any kind ever. No filler whatsoever, each song launches you off into a particular ectsatic sonic/onirical journey. Joy.

bac0n
03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Good pick with Lush. I had such a huge crush on Miki Berenyi, probably more so than any other musician I've ever encountered. I saw them live once, and all I could do was stare, agog. God she's beautiful.

Rowland
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I love Souvlaki, but Souvlaki Space Station is probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. I must have weird taste.

Boner M
04-01-2008, 02:00 AM
I love Souvlaki, but Souvlaki Space Station is probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. I must have weird taste.
I *shock* agree. "When the Sun Hits" is easily my favorite and one of my favorite songs ever, even if it kinda sounds like U2.

Rowland
04-01-2008, 02:34 AM
even if it kinda sounds like U2.You say that as though it's a bad thing. ;)

D_Davis
04-01-2008, 02:54 AM
You say that as though it's a bad thing. ;)

Just about to say the same thing.

I'd say, AND it sounds like U2!

Boner M
04-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Oh, I don't mind U2 every once in a while, just sayin' that they're on a lower plane than Slowdive, and the fact that the latter's best song sounds like U2 doesn't do them any favors.

Derek
04-01-2008, 05:16 AM
I *shock* agree. "When the Sun Hits" is easily my favorite and one of my favorite songs ever, even if it kinda sounds like U2.

I'm gonna go ahead and give DSNT some support here. "Souvlaki Space Station" is definitely my favorite track on the album, though "Alison", "When the Sun Hits", "Machine Gun", etc. are all awesome. And I know there's no logical way to justify this, but my personal favorite Slowdive track is "Celia's Dream". It pretty much makes my heart explode every time I hear it.

DSNT
04-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Gotta disagree with all this SSS bashing and U2 comparing. Not that there is anything wrong with U2, especially the early stuff. I just don't hear it.

Those 4 songs stand out for me from Souvlaki, but there really isn't a weak track on the album. 40 Days, Sing and Dagger are also favorites of mine.

I also love Celia's Dream. One of my favorite tracks from JFAD, along with Catch the Breeze, Waves and Brighter.

D_Davis
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I had a strange relationship with Souvlaki. For years I didn't really care for it as an album. I loved a few songs, but I greatly preferred Slowdive's older stuff.

Then I heard Pygmalion, and everything changed.

Now, I really like Souvlaki as an album, and I listen to it now far more than I did when it was released.

Rowland
04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Do Kitchens of Distinction count as shoegaze? I'd like to see them make an appearance.

D_Davis
04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Do Kitchens of Distinction count as shoegaze? I'd like to see them make an appearance.

Some of their stuff definitely, and I don't think you'll be disappointed...

DSNT, we need a new entry!

bac0n
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM

w00t, I was thinking the same thing.

DSNT
04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I know .. FT work + FT school doesn't leave much time during the week.

I should have an entry up later tonight.

D_Davis
04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I know .. FT work + FT school doesn't leave much time during the week.

I should have an entry up later tonight.

No problem...I hear ya.

DSNT
04-04-2008, 04:42 AM
8. Crystal, Curve (Album - Cuckoo - 1993)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/curve2.jpg

Curve was among the more popular shoegaze bands during the era. They had a more polished and accessible sound, and found their way into some airplay, even getting into the MTV rotation for awhile. Funny that now they're nearly forgotten, even in the cult shoegaze circle. Are they shoegaze? Are they electronica? A little bit of both, I think. They are the only band back then that really merged the two sounds together, and they added a dash of goth and industrial. This song has a little more of a goth and industrial influence, with a mechanized, guitar drenched chorus.

Crystal is from their sophomore album, Cuckoo, but their debut Doppelganger is the better album in my opinion. The EPs are really good too.

If you wonder why they fell so fast, there is only one man to look at -- Butch Vig. He was a fan of the band and wanted to produce their records. For some reason they objected, I beieve because they didn't want to commercialize their sound, which is what he intended. After being rebuked, he took it upon himself to recruit a young lass with a similar voice and style to Toni Halliday's. That girl was Shirley Manson and the rest is history. It may seem harsh to accuse the band they eventually formed, Garbage, as a ripoff band, because they have some merit and Curve doesn't harbor a grudge. But listen to a couple of each of their tracks and the resemblance is uncanny.

Once Garbage hit the charts, there wasn't a market for a less accessible version of the same thing. Thankfully, the band trooped on and they still release material, albeit much further under the radar compared to their peak.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RYNYUJ61)

Llopin
04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Both Cuckoo and Doppelganger are very good pieces of noisy electrogaze. I used to listen to "Horror Head" all the time.

bac0n
04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
What, Curve is still putting out tracks? I thought they brokesed up a few years back...

Rowland
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Butch Vig may be an asshole, but I still love Garbage.

D_Davis
04-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Crystal is from their sophomore album, Cuckoo, but their debut Doppelganger is the better album in my opinion. The EPs are really good too.

Once Garbage hit the charts, there wasn't a market for a less accessible version of the same thing. Thankfully, the band trooped on and they still release material, albeit much further under the radar compared to their peak.

Good choice. I agree that this track is awesome, and that Doppelganger is the better album - it is a very strong album.

Good write up too!

I absolutely hate Garbage. They are one of my all-time most loathed bands. I think their songs suck, the production sucks, the lyrics suck, and on and on. I can't think of a single redeeming quality about the band. They are the direct antithesis of Curve's awesomeness. I never knew about this Butch Vig feud, but now it's just another reason to hate Garbage.

I always that Garbage was like Curve for moms.

DSNT
04-04-2008, 09:55 PM
What, Curve is still putting out tracks? I thought they brokesed up a few years back...
Actually, you're right .. from their site:

MESSAGE FROM TONI 31.1.2005

Dear Fans Everywhere, before I start I would just like to thank all of you for your loyalty and commitment to Curve over the years, it has been a lifesaver on many a dark night. Unfortunately after much thought and consideration I have come to the realisation that I can no longer continue with Curve on a musical level and have therefore decided to pursue other avenues. I won’t go into details but a few things happened to me last year that really drained me of any confidence I had and made me realise it was time to move on or be in danger of becoming bitter and twisted and losing my love for music. I have also felt less and less fulfilled with my position in Curve over the last few years and seemed to be no longer enjoying my work as much as I have in the past. I do intend to do small one off projects in the future but nothing that needs the time and commitment of a full time band. I hope that you understand my feelings on this, we have been together a long time and I feel that it has come to it’s natural end with a lot of good work achieved in the last 15 years. I wish YOU all the best for the future,
Toni

Guess they've been off my radar for the last couple of years and I didn't notice.

DSNT
04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Good choice. I agree that this track is awesome, and that Doppelganger is the better album - it is a very strong album.

Good write up too!

I absolutely hate Garbage. They are one of my all-time most loathed bands. I think their songs suck, the production sucks, the lyrics suck, and on and on. I can't think of a single redeeming quality about the band. They are the direct antithesis of Curve's awesomeness. I never knew about this Butch Vig feud, but now it's just another reason to hate Garbage.

I always that Garbage was like Curve for moms.
There has been plenty written about the Butch Vig "inspiration," most of it negative, and some positi .. umm .. well, slightly less negative (?). The band had taken a whatever attitude and mostly just got tired of getting asked about it. To them, despite the similarities, Garbage was far more commercial than they would ever be.

I don't dislike Garbage completely. They have some decent stuff, especially on the 2nd album, and I enjoy playing their track on Rock Band, but they pale compared to Curve. Would I have rather Curve taken a more commercial approach and streamlined their sound? Probably not. To me it's kind of a no harm, no foul issue, but I still think Butch Vig is a dick, even if he is partly responsible for Siamese Dream (which is also kind of a rip off in a different way, but far better musically than anything Garbage ever touched).

For the record, I also considered Horror Head and Zoo for my list. Curve has a great body of work.

Boner M
04-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Garbage > Curve.

This is, however, entirely based on Doppelganger, which I didn't care for at all, and the fact that I dug Garbage in high school.

*runs anyway*

DSNT
04-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Garbage > Curve.

This is, however, entirely based on Doppelganger, which I didn't care for at all, and the fact that I dug Garbage in high school.

*runs anyway*
Wow. If I believed in giving negative rep, you'd have some! :evil:

Spinal
04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Listening to Curve's "Arms Out" right now. I like it a lot. I'll have to listen to more of these guys.

I also like Garbage quite a bit, though mostly their first album. They got kind of generic after a bit. Saw them on one of their first tours in a smallish venue. They were a surprisingly good live act.

Rowland
04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I still think Version 2.0 is a superb example of mainstream techno-pop, and their later albums have all had their moments.

D_Davis
04-05-2008, 01:23 AM
7. Some Give Birth - Rollerskate Skinny (Album - Shoulder Voices - 1994)

http://www.beggars.com/artists/catalogue/pspyched/images/roller.jpg

Did you know that Kevin Shields of MBV has a brother? It's true. His name is Jimi. Jimi Shields also plays guitar, and the drums, and he was in a band that produced one of the most creative albums I've ever heard. That band is Rollerskate Skinny, and that album is Shoulder Voices. Rumor has it, he left the band because he got tired of constantly being compared to his brother, which is ironic, because Rollerskate Skinny never sounded anything like MBV - they took the shoegazing, noise-pop sound to a whole new level. They were the art rockers of the scene; they were to shoegazing as the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo were to ska. Some may argue that they had more in common with noise bands like early Mercury Rev, Pink Noise Test, or The Flaming Lips, but I've decided to include them here - deal with it.

Shoulder Voices is an album full of sonic complexity. It is richly detailed, expertly produced, and constructed like a band far more mature in mind and body. I still can't believe that this was the band's first album - it is complex and dense, more so than many albums on this list. It is an album that rewards careful listening and study.

Some Give Birth runs the gamut from quite and experimental to chunky and loud, and covers a lot of ground in between. It was really hard to choose one song from this album. It is definitely an album, and the songs taken out of context aren't as good, as most of them bleed into one another. However, this particular track is a good sample, but it is only the tip of a very loud and sonically interesting iceberg.

Luckily, the album is available on iTunes, and I highly suggest it. It is truly a one of a kind listening experience, and I am eternally thankful for its existence. It's progressive, noisy shoegazing unlike anything else.

Listen to it loud - as loud as possible.

Download Now (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/birth.mp3)

DSNT
04-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I like the stuff from the other Shields and I'm glad you included him .. using the term shoegaze for them is a stretch, but so are a couple others on this list. You can hear a lot of the same sounds that his brother perfected. Jimi's stuff is a lot more raw, while Kevin's couldn't be more polished and overproduced.

DSNT
04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
7. OX4, Ride (Album - Going Blank Again - 1992)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/ride1.jpg

A lot has been said about Ride already, but the gist so far has been how amazing Nowhere is, and how crappy their last couple albums ended up. We tend to forget that the follow-up was a pretty rockin' record, which is unfairly compared to one of the best albums of the entire shoegaze era. Going Blank Again is a solid album through and through. It's a bit more straightforward than Nowhere, with a lot less experimentalism, obviously showing the direction they were headed. Highlights are Leave Them All Behind and Chrome Waves, both of which I considered for this list, but couldn't squeeze in. I'm also a fan of some of the more upbeat rock songs, like Mouse Trap and especially Time Of Her Time.

.. Which leads us to the magnum opus of the album - the final track OX4. To me, this is their swan song, as nothing afterward compared. In fact, I'd go so far as it ranks up there with the best songs on Nowhere, and it sounds like it would fit better on that album than this one. The slow keyboard opening gives way to a slight intrusion of noise, followed by Ride pop at its best. Unlike much of Ride's songs, the lyrics stand out just as much as the music. The words are completely intelligible, and among the most introspective and sincere work in the Ride catalog. Given that this is their last good work, the final line of "I'm Going Home" makes it seem like a sentimental and fitting farewell.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LQKVOZEZ)

Here is the video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cQGj2UZ__sQ

DSNT
04-05-2008, 10:12 AM
One last bit about Ride .. Andy Bell is now in Oasis, as some might know, but he's really just a hired gun and has little say in musical direction. I think he wrote one song, but it wasn't much to speak of. Mark Gardener has tried his hand at a solo career and released a pretty good album called These Beautiful Ghosts. It sounds like Ride with acoustic guitar. I really think Gardener was by far the better songwriter. He wrote OX4 and Leave Them All Behind, while Bell wrote the majority of the future two albums.

Llopin
04-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I saw Mark Gardener solo last year, it was a good show. He did play "Vapour Trail" (and possibly a couple more Ride tracks, not sure), which was the highlight and sent shivers up my spine.

D_Davis
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
OX4 is a killer track. There are some good songs on Going Blank Again, but as a whole album I don't think it is as good as Nowhere.

I also think that OX4 sounds like it should be on Nowhere.

D_Davis
04-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I like the stuff from the other Shields and I'm glad you included him .. using the term shoegaze for them is a stretch, but so are a couple others on this list. You can hear a lot of the same sounds that his brother perfected. Jimi's stuff is a lot more raw, while Kevin's couldn't be more polished and overproduced.

Yeah - definitely a stretch. If it weren't for the Shields connection, I probably wouldn't include them.

I also just want people to buy Shoulder Voices. :)

It is a damn masterpiece of modern rock. I think it is to modern rock what Dark Side of the Moon is to classic rock. It's really too bad that the band didn't go on. Or maybe it's not....who knows.

D_Davis
04-05-2008, 03:12 PM
6. FBI and Their Toronto Transmitters - The Lilys (Album - Eccsame the Photon Band - 1994)

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2006-02-16/cover-3.jpg

With his second shoegazer album Mr. Heasley took the Lilys in a remarkably different direction while still working within the realms of the genre. He decided to crank up the drums and tone down the guitars. The drum production on this album is incredible - I've basically spent the last 12 years of my own musical career trying to emulate it. This song in particular totally rocks in this department. While the drum part itself is simple, the strength and tone of each hit is powerful and punchy. And by putting the drums in front of the mix, Mr. Heasley changed the overall sound of the genre. The guitar, too, is different, and it is possible to hear the beginnings of his love affair with The Who and '60s psych. Gone are the lush, reverb and delay drenched tones. Instead, most of the songs on this album contain a more minimalistic approach to the instrument while also focusing on the tones produced by a 12-string guitar. Eccsame the Photon Band ranks among my most favorite albums, every song is a minor masterpiece of well produced, noisy pop.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/fbi.mp3)

DSNT
04-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I like the big Bonham type of drums in this track, but still prefer the old stuff.

DSNT
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
6. Slide Away, The Verve (Album - A Storm In Heaven - 1993)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/ragroup2.jpg

The Verve is easily the most successful shoegaze grad, having sold millions of Urban Hymns and I think everyone on the planet has heard Bittersweet Symphony, even if those profits were sued away. They were also among the most vocal about separating themselves from the shoegaze moniker, which might explain their abrupt sound change. Richard Ashcroft is also a grade-A asshole, almost comically so (seriously, read an interview of his), but that's all excused by their brilliant first album and pretty good second album. Slide Away is a remarkeable song by any standard. It has the quiet, groovy baseline, the cutting and raw guitar sound, and Ashcroft's flippantly carefree vocals that culminate in 4 minutes of bliss.

For the record, I like Urban Hymns, although not even close to as much as Storm. The songwriting is great on all three albums, but the first two have that indescribeable dreamy quality that just takes you to another place. Slide Away is a good example, also Reprise from A Northern Soul (which was kinda ripped off by the Pumpkins' Drown).

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KSAD6BJ4)

See the video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VsAfHbtsZ4Q

Yum-Yum
04-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Wow, I never knew about the Butch Vig-Curve connection.

Anyway, I remember Curve's "Missing Link" being quite popular with the industrial crowd at the time (especially the Trent Reznor remix). My personal favourite of theirs is probably "Horror Head."

Oh, and a quick quirky fun-fact: Buffy and Faith can be seen dancing to "Chinese Burn" at the Bronze in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode titled "Bad Girls."

DSNT
04-06-2008, 02:29 AM
All this Butch Vig and Curve talk got me curious and I found some things on the web about how he pretty much ripped them off wholesale. Skip to the 2nd minute mark of this damning interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU) where he pretty much admits stealing the sound because they wouldn't let him produce.

Siamese Dream or no, he's a bigger dick than I thought.

D_Davis
04-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Alright - the top 5! And speaking of The Verve...

5. Beautiful Mind - Verve (Album - A Storm in Heaven - 1993)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61TYmeoPgGL._AA280_.jpg

A Storm in Heaven is one of the best produced albums I've ever heard, and this song totally rules. On their first, and best, full-length release, The Verve crafted an album of unparalleled beauty and density. This album has mass, it weighs a ton; it's thick with atmosphere. It's sometimes sticky with instrumental nuance and subtlety, and at other times it explodes with pure audio cacophony. Every song on the album is a minor masterpiece, and it was really hard to pick just one. Would I pick a soft, wistful number like Make it Till Monday, or a hard rocking track like The Sun, The Sea? The choice was hard, but it had to be made, and so I went with Beautiful Mind, a track that carries me away to a place of audio bliss. Beautiful Mind is a spaced-out, jazzy track with a laid back beat and enough reverb to shake apart a mountain. Nick McCabe was a demigod on the guitar, and to this day his guitar tone blows me away. The rhythm section, comprised of Peter Salisbury on drums and Simon Jones on bass, form some of the most interesting rhythms in the genre. But the real star of The Verve was always Richard Ashcroft's vocals and his strange haunting, alien-like appearance. He is, perhaps, the only true “rock-star” the shoegazer movement produced.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/beautiful.mp3)

megladon8
04-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Holy crap, I have no idea how I missed this entire thread this whole time.

Great work, guys! The presence of Cocteau Twins makes the list great by default :)

DSNT
04-10-2008, 04:17 AM
5. If You Want It Take It, Boo Radleys (Album - Giant Steps - 1993)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/1175887911.jpg

The Boos are known just as well for their britpop as their shoegaze, and honestly, the early stuff was a combination of both. Their album Giant Steps could be argued as among the best of both genres, and is the peak of their creativity. I could have easily come up with half a dozen songs from this album, and I have to commend Daniel for choosing Lazarus, an excellent song. If You Want It, Take It is a short, slow groove, insanely catchy pop song, with a distortion laden guitar solo ending.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JYZMEC8X)

Watch a (not the) video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_ESCK3kRk

Rowland
04-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Fuck yeah, I love this song. Giant Steps is a brilliant album.

D_Davis
04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Fuck yeah, I love this song. Giant Steps is a brilliant album.

It sure is, one of the best.

D_Davis
04-10-2008, 03:43 PM
4. Rutti - Slow Dive (Album - Pygmalion - 1995)

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/product_images/265214L.jpg

Unlike The Verve and Ride, Slowdive's sound grew more interesting as they matured - much more interesting. Their first few E.P.s were good, but they were also quite simple. With their first full length album the band grew a little, but they were still working only within the confines of the one genre. On Souvlaki, their second full-length, the band began to really expand their sound; here they utilized more complex compositions and interesting instrumentation, and even experimented with some dub. After Souvlaki, the band even began to experiment with electronic music and released an E.P. full of down-tempo ambient tracks (available on the new Souvlaki CD as bonus tracks).

However, with Pygmalion the band proved that they were, in fact, working on a wave of creative energy unlike any of their peers. Imagine the differences between The Beach Boys' albums Today! and Pet Sounds, and you will have an understanding of Slowdive's level of maturity during this point of their life cycle. Pygmalion is dense, complex, and full of texture, and stands heads and shoulders above anything that came before it.

The songs range in tone from spaced-out experiments in abstract noise, to the free-flowing subtlety of this track, Rutti. I'll never forget the first time I ever heard this tune. I had to check to make sure I had purchased the right album, and if it weren't for the recognizable cadence of Neil Halstead's vocals you could pass this off as a different band all together. Rutti is a ten minute track; it is a beautiful exercise in atmosphere. From the very first moments it calms my nerves and perfectly sets the tone for the subsequent cosmic fugue. For many years this album was OOP and quite expensive, but luckily for music fans everywhere it has recently been re-issued.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/rutti.mp3)

DSNT
04-13-2008, 05:12 AM
4. On Tooting Broadway Station, Kitchens of Distinction (Album - The Death of Cool - 1992)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/kitchenofdistinction_1.jpg

Kitchens of Distinction were a talented and promising band that never got their proper due. They have an accessible sound compared to many on this list, but they remained in (mostly) obscurity during the shoegaze era. I'm not sure why this was, as their works stands shoulder to shoulder with the best of the genre. Some have suggested that it has to do with the fact that lead singer Patrick Fitzgerald is gay. Perhaps, but I wouldn't think that would be as big a deal in a progressive, underground music movement. Either way, their music speaks for itself, especially this song which is excellent by any standard of measurement. It carries a slow, mellow groove, accompanied by random guitar effects scattered about, and escalates into an emotional chorus where Fitzgerald tries to rid himself of everything associated with a former lover. These levels of lyrical depth were few and far between within the dream pop realm.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0VVU5UZ0)

D_Davis
04-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice choice. The Kitchens were a great band, one that often surprises me when I listen to them.

D_Davis
04-13-2008, 07:13 PM
3. Does This Hurt? - Boo Radleys (Album - Everything's Alright Forever - 1992)

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/473.jpg

This song is from the Boo's first full length album, Everthing's Alright Forever. It kicks so much ass it's not even funny. Play at maximum volume. That's all that needs to be said.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/hurt.mp3)

bac0n
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
KofD Yay!

If I could take a pill that would allow me to be able to play guitar like any one person, chances are I would pop the Julian Swales pill. Twice, just to be sure.

Drive That Fast is one of top five all time favorite songs. I just can't get sick of it, no matter how many listens I give it (and it's been on heavy rotation ever since I first heard it over fifteen years ago).

Hugh_Grant
04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
KofD Yay!

Drive That Fast is one of top five all time favorite songs. I just can't get sick of it, no matter how many listens I give it (and it's been on heavy rotation ever since I first heard it over fifteen years ago).

Me, too! I first heard "Drive That Fast" on 120 Minutes in 1991 and fell in love with it immediately. I've never tired of it either. In fact, I listened to it this afternoon on my iPod.

Not that I'm patting myself on the back or anything, but I was the one who introduced KoD to dissent. I know he's said to me in the past that was the best music recommendation I've made.

D_Davis
04-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Me, too! I first heard "Drive That Fast" on 120 Minutes in 1991 and fell in love with it immediately.

I still have the video on tape from when it premiered on 120 Minutes.

Too bad I don't have a VCR....

:(

Hugh_Grant
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen/heard "Drive that Fast," here it is on YouToob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JXk_oV4nbo

Yum-Yum
04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I'll be sure to check out these Boo Radley chaps. I mean, your talk of unfunny ass kicking has me intrigued.

Not that I'm patting myself on the back or anything, but I was the one who introduced KoD to dissent. I know he's said to me in the past that was the best music recommendation I've made.

The best Grant-based music recommendation I ever received was the Eurogliders (an Aussie version of the Parachute Club) and Flight of the Conchords.

Oh, and of course, Hayzi Fantayzee.

D_Davis
04-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I'll be sure to check out these Boo Radley chaps. I mean, your talk of unfunny ass kicking has me intrigued.

Never heard them before?

Yum-Yum
04-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Never heard them before?

I probably have, let me check...

Okay, I just listened to "Does This Hurt?" and no, I hadn't heard it before. But you're right, it does kick ass. Topnotch groove.

D_Davis
04-14-2008, 12:51 AM
I probably have, let me check...

Okay, I just listened to "Does This Hurt?" and no, I hadn't heard it before. But you're right, it does kick ass. Topnotch groove.

They are, sentimentally, my favorite band.

DSNT
04-14-2008, 04:36 AM
3. Never Understand, The Jesus and Mary Chain (Album - Psychocandy - 1985)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/Jesus2.jpg

While there are many separate influences for the shoegaze genre, the entire blasted thing would have never happened if the Reid brothers hadn't put out their groundbreaking album Psychocandy in 1985. Without Psychocandy, there would not have been Isn't Anything or Loveless. MBV would have kept going with their jangle pop and (possibly/likely) faded into oblivion. Others had incorporated noise into pop melodies. Phil Spector made a career and a lot of money out of it; the Ramones also did within the confines of punk. Nobody else did it with such startling contrast as TJAMC. The noise they created at first sounds like pure screeching with no purpose, not the "wall of sound" seen before, but flat out blistering noise. Underneath that layer is the catchiest pop melody found this side of the Beach Boy's greatest hits album. It is pretty much just 3 chords and a snare beat. Without the noise, the songs could have passed for 50s or 60s radio pop. After repeated listens, the noise that might have seemed unnecessary finally reveals a pattern, and actually adds something special to the song.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8H5LDH5S)

See the video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xs-42ge-TWY

DSNT
04-14-2008, 04:43 AM

Them and The Chameleons.

D_Davis
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Psychocandy is an awesome album.

One of my 3 favorite JAMC albums, the others being Darklands and Honey's Dead.

And, Bobby Gillespie bot his start on Psychocandy, and without him there would be no Primal Scream, and without Primal Scream there would be no Screamadelica, and without Screamadelica acid-house and techno would probably be vastly different.

D_Davis
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
2. Only Shallow - My Bloody Valentine (Album - Loveless - 1991)

http://www.chromewaves.net/images/interface/myBloodyValentine.jpg

I first purchased this album around 16 years ago at the Warehouse, on cassette, on Easter Sunday on the way home from having lunch at my grandma's house. I had heard of this band and had been meaning to check them out. It was time. I had a habit of opening cassettes and listening to a few tracks in my car before heading home, and so I did so. But something was wrong. It sounded as if the tape, or worse my stereo, was messed up. Everything was all warbled and warped. The guitars sounded drunk, or like my speakers were broken. I ejected the tape and took it back to exchange for another one. Unfortunately, they only had it on CD (I rarely bought CDs back then), and so I paid the extra $5 and took it. But now I had to wait to get home to listen to it.

I got home, popped the CD into the player, and, much to my chagrin, it still sounded broken. Can music be broken? What the heck was going on here? And so I continued to listen, with a look of disgust on my face. Slowly, the look of disgust softened, morphing into one of appreciation, and by the end of a couple of listens I had learned to admire the sounds produced by Shields and company. Loveless challenged my music-appreciating sensibilities, and Only Shallow was the spearhead that burst through my ear drums and allowed me to hear music differently. This is truly a bellwether of modern music; it still sounds like it is from the future.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/shallow.mp3)

dreamdead
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
D,

That Slow Dive song, "Rutti," is fanfuckingtastic (infixes rule!). Very ethereal and aware and playful in its exploration of atmosphere.

D_Davis
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
D,

That Slow Dive song, "Rutti," is fanfuckingtastic (infixes rule!). Very ethereal and aware and playful in its exploration of atmosphere.

I know.

It is awesome. One of my all-time favorite songs. From the very first note it totally relaxes me.

Rowland
04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
My favorite songs from Pygmalion are probably Crazy For You and Cello, but Rutti is pretty damn good too.

Rowland
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Also, there is a demo from the Pygmalion era that they never finished which I happen to love. It's called Red Five (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5DCQE2XC).

DSNT
04-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Haven't forgotten about this thread .. my #2 is coming this afternoon.

DSNT
04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
2. I Only Said, My Bloody Valentine (Album - Loveless - 1991)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/mbv.jpg

I'm not sure which of the songs were responsible for the extended production and exorbitant cost of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, but I'm willing to be this one was at least in the top three. Like many of their songs, the swirling guitars dominate the sound, and, like many of their songs, it takes multiple listens to truly appreciate all the depth under the hood. I played this song for a friend one time and he shrugged it off, saying it was the same noisy, out-of-tune riff over and over again with very little melody. Oh, how wrong he was. I've listened to this album on and off for nearly 15 years, probably heard each song hundreds, maybe over a thousand times, and this is the one that that has the most replayability - by far! Sure, the riff is somewhat repetitive, but if you listen closely, there are slight differences and deliberate imperfections throughout, that result in true artistic beauty and grace. Every note was carefully crafted and manipulated by Shields in the studio and the result is, in my opinion, easily the best song he's ever recorded. It may also be among his most under-appreciated songs.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DLXE0Q00)

Hear it on You Tube (not a video):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dfrf9qJa-Hk

dreamdead
04-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Absolutely. This is definitely my favorite song off that album; "Only Shallow" feels more chaotic, but this one feels like it has more internal dynamics. Just an incredible listening experience whenever it comes on...

D_Davis
04-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Nice choice!

It is hard to pick just one song off of this album, they're all so good.

I'll have my number 1 up later this afternoon.

D_Davis
04-20-2008, 11:59 PM
1. Dreams Burn Down - Ride (Album - Nowhere - 1990)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/RIDEb022.jpg

This isn't simply my favorite shoegazer song - it is my favorite song, period. This song destroys my face. It's a mass of pure awesome-extract blasting from the depths of the fuck-yeah black hole. This song is so gobsmackingly good I just can't even fathom how four mere mortals wrote it and recorded. When I was in high school, I got to see them perform this live, and, 18 years later, my ears are still ringing.

The song kicks off with a barrage of drums. I will never grow tired of this introduction. The drums are absolutely HUGE - the kick pounds, the snare snaps, and the cymbals pierce like sonic bullets. The drums continue throughout the song to get even more awesome, as if that is even possible.

Lying under sky,
She laughs at everything I say,
And pulls me under,
There's no time to resist.
Lying on the floor,
There's no time to resist,
Lying on the floor,
The tears are falling down and more,
Her eyes speak loud,
But actions speak the best.

Both guitar parts are equally awesome. The lead part carries the song's sparse melody, while the rhythm part creates the texture and the noise. The marriage between the piercing lead and swirling wash of noise is Ride's trademark, and here it shines as bright as possible, creating a song dense with texture and nuance, as accidental harmonies form in the delayed reverberations.

Waiting, hoping for a sign,
That what's forbidden can be mine,
I just want what I can't have,
'Til my dreams burn down every time.

She's effortlessly cool,
But circumstances can be cruel,
And sometimes you must accept,
That you can't always get what you want.
We fill up our days and nights,
We fill up our empty little lives,
But we know we are doomed,
The moment we walk out the room

When it is all said and done, Dreams Burn Down is a perfect song. It is moving, sonically dense and interesting, it rocks, and it is masterfully written and played. Song for song, Ride's Nowhere is my favorite shoegazer record, and I think it transcends its genre roots becoming a classic of modern rock, easily standing shoulder to shoulder with U2's Unforgettable Fire, Primal Scream's Screamadelica, and The Stone Roses' self-titled album.

Download Track (http://www.genrebusters.com/shoegaze/dreams.mp3)

dreamdead
04-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Hmm, now that was pretty incredible of a first listen.

Just ordered the cd. I suspect I'll have some good driving music ahead of me...

Boner M
04-21-2008, 01:25 AM
That Ride song is srsly awesome. I'll have to finally acquire Nowhere sometime soon...

Rowland
04-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Nowhere is such a brilliant album. I think I'm going to give it a listen now... and maybe Going Blank Again as well, which is really great too.

D_Davis
04-21-2008, 01:47 AM
I prefer Smile (singles comp) over Going Blank Again, but GBA does have some great songs.

There is just something about Nowhere - it's one of those albums where everything came together.

Yum-Yum
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
2. Only Shallow - My Bloody Valentine (Album - Loveless - 1991)

This song is a monster. It blew me away when I first heard it.

Oh, and nice writeup. I liked the way you described your look of disgust morphing into a more appreciative gaze.

2. I Only Said, My Bloody Valentine (Album - Loveless - 1991)

You're damn right your shrugging friend was wrong, that "noisy, out-of-tune riff" gives me chills every time.

D_Davis
04-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Oh, and nice writeup. I liked the way you described your look of disgust morphing into a more appreciative gaze.

Thanks. That first listening of Loveless was one of the most shocking and ear-expanding musical experiences of my life.

DSNT
04-23-2008, 04:53 AM
1. Blue Skied An' Clear, Slowdive (Album - Pygmalion - 1995)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/_dissent_/Slowdive_band.jpg

You could see hints of where Slowdive was headed with Souvlaki, but nobody could have predicted the ethereal bliss that became known as Pygmalion. It was far more experimental, more ambient, with unusual song structures and studio effects. The album pushed the boundaries so far that it almost cannot be called dream pop, at least compared to the other bands, including Slowdive's earlier stuff, but it is among the "dreamiest" albums you'll find. The experimentalism with sound came to fruition with this song, easily my favorite of the Slowdive canon. It is slow and brooding, but so inviting and immersive at the same time. Neil's voice is soft and pleasant, while Rachel's background vocals feel like they come down from the heavens. Everything moment of the song is absolutely gorgeous in a minimalistic way.

I'm sure you can tell from this list that Slowdive is easily my favorite artist of the genre. Sure, MBV, Ride and a couple others had better individual albums, but neither were as consistent. MBV had their marginal jangle pop beginnings while Ride had their atrocious post-grunge mess. Why did they end it with Pygmalion? I'm sure they realized that there were no further depths they could explore musically, and the only way to continue would be to start anew. They did just that with Mojave 3, which is a pretty good band in their own right that has somehow managed to soldier on amid near obscurity. Unfortunately, even at Mojave's best, they will never be anything like Slowdive again.

I never got to see Slowdive, but have seen Mojave 3 twice. The first time they opened for Lush on the Ladykillers tour. They were the 2nd of 3 bands, but only two were on the bill. I remember them getting booed when they came out just because they weren't Lush, but they won the crowd over pretty quickly.

The last time they played to an empty house in Asheville (and played great, I might add). But because it was so dead, I found none other than Mr. Halstead sitting at the bar having a beer with hardly anyone else around him. I ordered one too and talked with him for a little bit. It was just a 5-minute conversation. He was a real down-to-earth guy, just making a living doing his thing, an average joe in a way. I asked him some about the tour, asked about Rachel (she has been ill with an ear problem and wasn't there), and chit chatted a little bit. I decided against asking him if Slowdive would ever reunite. I know chances are slim, which might be a good thing.

Download Track (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=89UBKHVF)

Check out the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=geNVYlAVCkw

Duncan
04-23-2008, 07:06 AM
A couple of pretty great closing songs there. Congrats on finishing guys.

Stay Puft
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Rep to both of you. I enjoyed this thread quite a bit. And I'll be burning a couple CDs shortly.

D_Davis
04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Great #1 man - I love that album, so much.

And good write up.

Nowhere, Pygmalion, and Everything's Alright Forever are my most listened to albums of the genre.

D_Davis
04-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks for reading every body, it's been fun.

DSNT
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Yep, thanks for letting us have our soapbox.