PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Squad (David Ayer)

Henry Gale
08-04-2016, 03:23 AM
IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/) / Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad_(film))

http://www.moviedeskback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Suicide_Squad_Poster.jpg

Henry Gale
08-04-2016, 05:12 AM
I feel like I should just go bullet-point with this since the movie's storytelling is essentially done in the same way:

- The first 20 minutes are just exhausting. That Hollywood Reporter article (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693) that 8 linked to earlier today about the trailer editors being brought in to make a peppier, more fast-paced version of the movie is realized in the most unnatural, choppily paced introduction to a movie imaginable. It's like you're watching a 20-minute trailer or a featurette promoting the movie, all set to fairly unremarkable, intrusive music choices, all just rampaging through visual information and character backstories with a relentless, muddled glaze. Even when it somewhat shakes off that initial style, much of the movie continues to operate as if it's in montage mode, and not in a way like Nolan or Malick would carefully construct as a fluid part of its editing and scripting to give added backstory weave into the momentum of thing or layer some dreamy emotion to larger sequences, here it just feels like you're seeing abbreviated versions of scenes without characters introducing or segueing out of them. The introduction of Delevingne's character is like watching the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark cut down to 45 seconds because any suspense would be distracting from getting to that first scene with Jones at his teaching job.

- Leto is terrible. Luckily, as many of us predicted for a while, he's only in the movie for maybe 15-20 minutes total so he's only an annoying hindrance here and there, but his performance is like someone doing an impression of Jim Carrey as Riddler but then dressed up as the wrong character. The movie also seems to have very little idea what to actually do with him. One completely superfluous flashback sequence (that comes out of nowhere) involving him and Harley and chemical baths is one of the most compelling, striking things in the movie. It also makes very little sense and adds next to nothing to the movie at large.

- The DC cameos are kinda cool, even if I kinda just remembered they happened. There's also a mid-credits scene that's totally pointless, but I guess attempting to somewhat retcon the idea that Luthor essentially created the Justice League lineup.

- There is good stuff here! Some gorgeous visuals and haunting moments, but they're just buried and chopped up -- Hey! A flashback! -- that you don't really get a chance to -- Another flashback! -- feel any emotional connection to it one way or another.

- Lots of women getting hit-related material, and a good majority of it being played for laughs. The sad thing it doesn't particularly stand out as being more tasteless than anything else in it. Moving on!

- Ike Barinholtz gets some genuine laughs. His character is very prominent in the first third and then completely disappears.

- Adam Beach is the most wasted character and actor of any anybody in anything ever.

- I'm not sure I've seen action scenes so completely made up of medium shots and close-ups than most of the ones here. It's so frustrating in terms of basic staging and visual spacial sense of sequences to just know where everyone is at any point.

- A half-joking thing I've said in recent years a lot about movies that were shot on 35mm but otherwise no-so-good is "Hey, at least it was shot on film!", but even then there's something especially underlit and dull about the imagery here, and I'm not sure it was really the projection since some of the more colourful sequences sang. It's really a shame since so much of it does take place in those sort of dingy, smokey nighttime situations.

- It was kinda fun to see this in the theatre above where one of the big scenes was filmed last year, as well as walking past a lot of the noticeable locations on the way home. I do realize no one else will have this very specific experience of extended enjoyment with it outside of Toronto.

The way I instantly described it after my friend asked me what I thought after it finished was that it was like putting a million ingredients into a stew and it tasting like nothing at all in the end. There's a whole lot of movie and movie-like things going on here, but none of it coalesces into a whole one. It's all instrumentation and no rhythm to carry it. It goes ridiculously fast through stuff that seems interesting but we're given no time to settle into it, and then slows down to give us more routine, bland stuff. I really do want to see that other cut, just to know there was an actually distinct stylistic voice behind all of this at some point.

I just really need Wonder Woman to be good at this point, guys.

** / 4.something

amberlita
08-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Very helpful points, thanks for the review. And not terribly surprising. Despite extremely well-constructed trailers that peaked my interest, the presence of SO many unestablished characters thrown into a new film together has always worried me about a potential lack of focus. Should have seen the signs in the trailers, which never gave a hint at story but seemed to just want to get the audience hyped for seeing these characters posturing on screen together.

transmogrifier
08-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Terrible, terrible, terrible. The worst movie I've seen in the theaters in a long time. More to come....

Stay Puft
08-04-2016, 08:13 AM
- It was kinda fun to see this in the theatre above where one of the big scenes was filmed last year, as well as walking past a lot of the noticeable locations on the way home. I do realize no one else will have this very specific experience of extended enjoyment with it outside of Toronto.

Haha, that's kinda why I want to see it. One of the action scenes was filmed just around the corner from where I live (it involved a helicopter crash, which may or may not be specific enough to narrow down; I'll have to see the movie for myself to recognize it).

transmogrifier
08-04-2016, 08:31 AM
You have a problem when your titular group members do not exchange a single word with each other until almost an hour in. The storytelling is simply atrocious, with flat character introductions served up at a generic dinner table, scenes seemingly out of order, a boring, completely undefined villain that can apparently skip continents in the blink of an eye but who then decide to fight the protagonists hand to hand, a villain with a generic bright swirly "weapon" that conveniently (but for no apparent reason) needs time to set up before it unleashes its random destruction, characters, faceless hordes that aren't explained until after they have been attacking our heroes, so we have absolutely zero context regarding whether they matter... all smothered in jokes that never land, propelling characters that never make sense into scenes that are poorly shot and choreographed....and the hambone musical cues! And the pointlessness of the Joker! Good God this is a shitty, monumentally bad movie front to back. Literally nothing works.

Dukefrukem
08-04-2016, 12:55 PM
I can't wait to see this tonight!

:(

Dukefrukem
08-04-2016, 02:55 PM
WB panicked after Batman v Superman

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

Edit: whoops, 8 posted this in the generic thread

Henry Gale
08-04-2016, 03:01 PM
The best moment of it all might've been unexpectedly getting a teaser for Dunkirk.

It was short though.

TGM
08-05-2016, 12:22 AM
I pretty much agree with every point brought up in this thread. And, unlike with BvS, I really can't say that I liked it regardless. :\

TGM
08-05-2016, 01:41 AM
Some more expanded thoughts that stood out to me personally while watching, and yes, I'll be hitting a handful of points already brought up, but...

(heavy spoilers ahead)

- The opening introductions to our main cast is among the laziest openings to any movie that I can recall in recent memory. Seriously, we've seen that large casts can be well balanced out, and even including among them brand new characters at that. But this, I can't even think off the top of my head a lazier way for them to have accomplished this. Holy shit...

- All throughout, I found myself questioning the characters actions, but especially so as the movie went on. For instance, Harley manages to get away. But then she thinks the Joker dies, so... she goes back with the squad? What? And she knows that that means returning to prison as well, she knows this. So, what the fuck? And again, with Jai Courtney later on, he gets away, too, he's free. But then he, too, for no real reason, just decides to go back as well? (And hell, in his instance, it also cops out on the one single joke in the whole movie that was actually kinda funny at that.) And the cast getting more and more sentimental the more and more they became, er, "good" near the end, I'm sorry, but no matter the situation they were in, I just didn't buy a lick of that, not from most of them at least.

- The editing choices in this thing. Hoo boy. Some standouts to me, early on, as Viola Davis is narrating the introduction to Harley Quinn, they literally have her say the words "she's crazier and less afraid than the Joker", as the Joker crazily drives their car into the water and Harley starts flipping her shit in fear while the Joker's just sitting there laughing. How the fuck do you even make that kind of blatant mistake?

(And speaking of that scene, did I misinterpret it, or did Batman seriously try to make out with Harley after pulling her out of the water? What the fuck was up with that?)

And then later on, they've got this guy sitting in a chair in a backroom of a club, and the Joker enters the room, places his hand on the guy's shoulder, and starts to speak. We know it's the Joker, but the focus should've been on the guy's reaction to realizing that he was in trouble with the Joker. Instead, we cut up to the Joker talking to him, skipping over that reaction, as if we just needed to see the Joker speak those lines in this instance. I know, this one's nit-picky, but it's one that stood out as yet another obvious example of how the people who edited this thing together clearly had no clue what they were doing, nor had any idea how best to execute a scene to get the fullest potential out of it.

- Speaking of the Joker, I thought Jared Leto was okay from what we saw of him, which was very little (though it's interesting to hear that there was apparently a lot that they cut out of the movie), and I'd like to see more of him before really judging him one way or another. As for Margot Robbie as Harley, I thought she was hit or miss throughout. At some points, she totally nails the character. At others, it feels like I'm watching a cosplayer at a convention doing their best Harley Quinn impression.

- The music in this thing, what the fuck? Clearly they were going for a Guardians vibe, without actually having any sort of understanding as to why the music in Guardians actually worked. The music there is an actual integral part of the movie itself, something that directly interacts with the characters, and as such, more directly connects us to them as well. Here, it's just whatever they felt best accompanied the scene, except they oftentimes don't even get that right, as I found the music oftentimes distracting throughout, with the Eminem song probably being the worst offender of the bunch.

- That ending battle felt like something from the early 2000s era of superhero movies. It would feel right at home in something like Ghost Rider or one of the Fantastic Four movies. But here, jeez, this movie just came out and it already feels outdated.

- The movie in general is also just shockingly bland and lifeless, and the action scenes are entirely boring, so I can't even say that it was a fun sort of bad movie.

- What's most frustrating is that, there are moments that do work. Diablo's flashback scene in the bar works. Some of the Harley and Joker scenes work. But there's nothing substantial surrounding those scenes that makes them really resonate in the ways that the movie was clearly intending for them to, because from an editing standpoint to a writing and character standpoint, the vast majority of this movie flat out doesn't work.

And the real kicker that let's you know this movie was a fucking stinker? My audience actually applauded it afterwards. And if there's one thing I've learned over the years, the audiences in my town only applaud after the absolute worst fucking movies, ie, The Dark Knight Rises, Transformers 3, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Pixels, and now, added to the list, Suicide Squad.

So yeah, not a good movie.

transmogrifier
08-05-2016, 02:52 AM
The primary guiding ethos behind the editing seemed to be, "Whenever you don't know what else to do, cut to a Harley Quinn bon mot." Unfortunately, none of them are funny.

The use of Slipknot was mindbogglingly bad. A clear chance to really raise the stakes for the squad, and instead we get....that? The only character who doesn't get an introduction, who just turns up randomly at the first scrimmage ("Oh, by the way, this random dude is also part of the team."), and we are supposed to care why? Really, really, really poor.

The only way this movie could have been saved would have been to throw out every single thing and start from the blank page of a new screenplay. Start with a villain that actually specifically targets the squad of whom the squad actually has a genuine antipathy for, thus drawing them together organically and having them overcome the resistance to the program by actually making their first mission be something personal (maybe... maybe even have the squad start with a small mission, it goes shit, they are betrayed by someone in the team, and they become the big boss....) instead of just having them randomly bond over absolutely nothing and decide to follow the banal, vanilla, pointless Rick Flag character and his absolutely uninteresting love story.... Jesus. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Who signed off on this shit?

And that's not even mentioning the fact that the bad guy brother and the weapon are both basically just wiped out with explosives, so why the government just didn't drop a bomb on the fuckers to begin with, I'll never know.

TGM
08-05-2016, 03:15 AM
I'll give the movie this: Will Smith was absolutely perfect playing the role of Will Smith, though. ;)

Skitch
08-05-2016, 03:23 AM
I'll give the movie this: Will Smith was absolutely perfect playing the role of Will Smith, though. ;)

HA! He rarely does much else.

Dukefrukem
08-05-2016, 03:38 AM
I dont even know what the villain was trying to do. A spell to do what exactly? Turn everyone into rocks?

And if we are going to complain about them shoehorning in Slipknot, we have to complain about them shoehorning in Katana. She literally jumps on the helicopter as they are about to take off and Flagg is like: "Oh btw, this chick is coming too".

My biggest disappointment with the movie was Leto. Didn't feel like he wanted to be there outside of the "oh im not gonna kill ya... I'm just gonna hurt ya" scene. Seriously, that was the only line he had that made his character have energy.

Ezee E
08-05-2016, 03:59 AM
I dont even know what the villain was trying to do. A spell to do what exactly? Turn everyone into rocks?

And if we are going to complain about them shoehorning in Slipknot, we have to complain about them shoehorning in Katana. She literally jumps on the helicopter as they are about to take off and Flagg is like: "Oh btw, this chick is coming too".

My biggest disappointment with the movie was Leto. Didn't feel like he wanted to be there outside of the "oh im not gonna kill ya... I'm just gonna hurt ya" scene. Seriously, that was the only line he had that made his character have energy.

He was too focused on off-screen antics!

Dukefrukem
08-05-2016, 04:14 AM
- The music in this thing, what the fuck? Clearly they were going for a Guardians vibe, without actually having any sort of understanding as to why the music in Guardians actually worked. The music there is an actual integral part of the movie itself, something that directly interacts with the characters, and as such, more directly connects us to them as well. Here, it's just whatever they felt best accompanied the scene, except they oftentimes don't even get that right, as I found the music oftentimes distracting throughout, with the Eminem song probably being the worst offender of the bunch.

-

Oh yeh, i forgot about this. How many songs played during this movie? 37? Every scene was a new song introduction. So odd.

dreamdead
08-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Woof. This film feels so clearly stitched together, undergoing an autopsy throughout the editing process that reshifts characters spatial relationships at a whim and abandons other characters throughout.

The final battle should have resonance, but it basically becomes El Diablo against CGI monster; it might make sense for Harley, Deadshot, and other normals to stand aside for that duration, but Kitana is utterly abandoned even though it seems as though her sword is able to inflict some damage to the monster. Consequently, I'm left wondering whether she put up more of a fight in some earlier edited iteration, or if Ayer was so obtuse that he forgot that an earlier scene establishes some modicum of success for Kitana as a fighter in that situation.

Character psychology is also idiotic throughout, where loyalties change solely for a punchline (Kroc's "I like her" re: Waller) or to accommodate a dramatic beat.
It's a shame that Margot Robbie is generally very good in this role and that she still has so little to work with beyond rote one-liners to transition us to the next sequence and music cue.

Suicide Squad ultimately feels like Snyder's Sucker Punch, where I can envision a more interestingly edited and written film, but then I remember that I'm considering these details a day later and question life decisions.

TGM
08-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Suicide Squad ultimately feels like Snyder's Sucker Punch, where I can envision a more interestingly edited and written film, but then I remember that I'm considering these details a day later and question life decisions.

Oh, no no no. No. When I had heard about how this thing was cut together, how it was edited by a team who typically puts together movie trailers, and that a lot of it supposedly had a "music video" feel, I was very much hoping for it to have a faux-Sucker Punch feel. But no, that movie has a beauty, a brilliance, and an elegance (yes, these are all words I'm using to describe Sucker Punch!) that this movie is completely lacking.

Sucker Punch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suicide Squad, and that's me being kind to Suicide Squad.

Mal
08-06-2016, 04:40 AM
Epic fail. All the Razzies for this one.

Ezee E
08-06-2016, 04:43 PM
$60 million on Friday.

So yeah.

Ivan Drago
08-06-2016, 06:44 PM
More thoughts will come later, but I feel like I just watched an adaptation of terrible fanfiction from a 14-year-old that got tired of writing it by the end.

number8
08-06-2016, 07:04 PM
$60 million on Friday.

So yeah.

Thanks, embargo.

Dukefrukem
08-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks, embargo.

Pretty much.

Aiming for $130 making it biggest August weekend opening ever behind Guardians.

Ivan Drago
08-06-2016, 11:12 PM
As promised....

Nothing is more disappointing than being promised something exciting and then getting something so drastically different, you can’t help but feel let down. By the end of Suicide Squad, that’s exactly how I felt. The stellar marketing campaign advertises this film adaptation of the ragtag team of anti-heroes that make up Task Force X as an energetic, action-packed free-for-all with edgy, character-centric banter between villains from the DC Comics underworld. The film’s director, David Ayer, even said in an interview that his goal was to ‘create a family’ with his ensemble cast of characters.

Unfortunately, the end result of reshoots and studio interference that hindered Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice comes into play here, because the majority of the Squad is given nothing to do besides stand around, snarl and fight, has no personality save for Harley, El Diablo, Deadshot, and Rick Flag, and there’s barely any camaraderie or relationships developed between them, save for the surface-level attempt between Deadshot and Rick Flag. Even The Joker doesn’t play a single factor in the story, and his adaptation here as a modern-day mob boss is one of the most inspired parts of the movie, so The Clown Prince of Crime’s presence here is ultimately pointless and wasted.

After each member of the Squad is introduced in a quick but expository graphics-filled montage, the film grows more boring and devoid of excitement as it goes on with slow-paced action sequences, forced attempts at snark that fall flat, and off-putting music choices that feel juvenile and stick out like a sore thumb, if only because the scenes in which they’re used don’t match the music’s energy. The use of “Without Me” by Eminem during the scene where the Squad gets their weapons is the most prominent example for me.

As frustrating as it all is, Suicide Squad is not without its pros. As mentioned earlier, The Joker in this universe is a modern-day mob boss, which is inspired and interesting. Margot Robbie, Viola Davis and Will Smith deliver good performances out of the material they’re given. Jai Courtney finally emotes as Captain Boomerang, and there’s a brief but satisfying callback to the animated series early on in the film that brought a smile to my face. But overall, Suicide Squad is a massive disappointment, and is for the moment, my pick for the worst movie of 2016.

2/10

PS. Regarding the outrage from fans over how critics have received this film, this needs to be said: I am a fan of all things Batman and DC Comics, and always have been since childhood. I was especially excited for this film not only because I couldn’t wait to see a new set of comic characters on the big screen, but also because a badass anti-hero team is unique to DC’s cinematic universe, and something that could’ve gotten the one-up they needed to compete with Marvel (as good as Captain America: Civil War was, it didn’t do anything new in my opinion). It’s a shame there wasn’t enough time spent on it to make a good movie.

Ezee E
08-06-2016, 11:57 PM
If Ghostbusters is akin to McDonald's breakfast, what does that mean for Suicide Squad?

Dukefrukem
08-07-2016, 12:11 AM
If Ghostbusters is akin to McDonald's breakfast, what does that mean for Suicide Squad?

Taco Bell Breakfast.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2016, 03:09 AM
Wonder Woman just needs to get better than a 25% to convince us DC is heading in the right direction.

http://new.tinygrab.com/427121761e6bf4cb8ab62aea83d3c8 c991d707ff73.png

Skitch
08-07-2016, 03:14 AM
I dunno...I dont want to sound like a DC fanboy or something, but Im not seriously harsh judging until Justice League. I feel like that is the first entry fully under Geoff Johns watch.

Ivan Drago
08-07-2016, 04:12 AM

A Jack In The Box Midnight Munchie Meal.

Ezee E
08-07-2016, 05:22 AM
Ha, I thought Man of Steel was liked more than that.

Irish
08-07-2016, 07:38 AM

Irish
08-07-2016, 07:42 AM
I don't think embargoes matter one way or another. Critics rarely move the needle on a movie like this.

Word of mouth is far more important. People coming out of the theaters on Friday and Saturday night will kill this movie faster than any review, the same way the crowds killed BvS.

Dukefrukem
08-07-2016, 10:47 PM
It ended up doing $135 mil.

When you compare it BvS, 165 opening, final gross of 330... with a 1.99 multiplyer. I learned today that is the worst multiplayer for a movie that opened over $100 mil ever. So word of mouth obviously killed it.

SS will need to do 268 mil to not end up worse than BvS.

Wryan
08-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Oversoundtracked and bearing the unmistakable scars of editing weedwackery, this movie has no idea what it is or what it's trying to be. I swear there are a few moments where someone has one emotion on their face in one shot and something else, a totally new tonal beat, in the next damn shot. What's going on? Leto's wandering in from another movie like Jimmy Smits in Star Wars. If it's trying to couch us in confusion like the Squad members as to what's going on, I guess it succeeded? The thing is lumpy all around; you poke a mound here and there and glitter pops out like a lanced boil. I missed several pieces of dialogue because the wicked music was blaring. There are contrivances that go unexplained seemingly only because the movie had stopped caring and assumed we had, too. Van Fucking Helsing had more cohesion than this movie.

Also, did you notice when Diablo assumed his final form, it was that of a Mayan fire god of sorts....because he's Latino, you see. Urgghghhmoviewhat.

Thought they did Waller some justice, though, mostly because of Davis, I suspect.

DC, you are on a roll!

number8
08-09-2016, 05:25 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4wq2iy/my_brother_who_is_a_lawyer_and _i_are_going_to_sue/

Dukefrukem
08-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Too much free time.

Skitch
08-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Does anyone believe this was Ayer's cut of the film? Anyone?

Edit: That sounds like being defensive or something. I haven't seen the film, I have no opinion on it yet. Just weird that hes out there saying its his cut. I don't believe it.

TGM
08-10-2016, 01:54 AM
Does anyone believe this was Ayer's cut of the film? Anyone?

Edit: That sounds like being defensive or something. I haven't seen the film, I have no opinion on it yet. Just weird that hes out there saying its his cut. I don't believe it.

Not at all, it's pretty transparent that he's just playing the good, obedient soldier.

Dukefrukem
08-10-2016, 02:03 AM
He wants to work in Hollywood again so he's not pulling a Trank.

Ezee E
08-10-2016, 04:07 AM
Let's remember he directed Sabotage, Street Kings, and has never ended any of his movies well. There's talent there though.

And he's getting Noomi Rapace in his next movie, so doing one for the system is working out for him.

Skitch
08-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Let's remember he directed Sabotage, Street Kings, and has never ended any of his movies well. There's talent there though.

And he's getting Noomi Rapace in his next movie, so doing one for the system is working out for him.

And that horrid movie with Christian Bale. At first I thought he was a generally terrible director, but that tank movie turned out to be pretty darn good so...hes a bit bipolar.

Peng
08-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Well, I see they make "stomach-churning" an aesthetic now. Of all things, I absolutely cannot believe the editing in this one. However bad many of the drama, action, humor, or attempts to be "cool" may be, they are made worse by the choppy editing that forces the film into the next scene so unnaturally, never letting any feeling to fully form or any sequence to transition smoothly. Probably would sink even lower without Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis (the fact that I almost absent-mindedly typed "and Amanda Waller" just indicates how well she owns the role for me). I admit Robbie's role is horrendously written, but she has plenty of charisma that almost counteracts that successfully.

Dead & Messed Up
08-21-2016, 08:17 PM
When the movie slowed down in the middle and tried to develop Deadshot, Harley, and the Flag/June dynamics, it almost sorta worked. Even with all the overbearing music cues and choppy editing (let it breathe, for God's sake), I was sort of on-board. Then the blue-lightning ending zapped the fun out of the flick, and the claims by characters that they now had a "new family" was so unconvincing it bordered on hilarious.

Weirdly, though, I found it better than BvS by quite a bit. The story's clearer, its characters are more sympathetic.

Dukefrukem
08-22-2016, 06:48 PM
It ended up doing $135 mil.

When you compare it BvS, 165 opening, final gross of 330... with a 1.99 multiplyer. I learned today that is the worst multiplayer for a movie that opened over $100 mil ever. So word of mouth obviously killed it.

SS will need to do 268 mil to not end up worse than BvS.

Currently sits at $262. So it won't do worse than BvS.

TGM
10-11-2016, 08:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wje0SdFWrzU

Henry Gale
10-13-2016, 01:44 AM
For those who didn't see, an Extended Cut IS coming. So now all of none of you that loved it can watch it with 13 more minutes! (A rate MC 0%!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimz7kmkW6o

I will actually watch it though, mainly out of (morbid) curiosity as to how much it might adhere close to a different version entirely, closer to the details of Ayer's initial cut, with non-dossier style opening. Plus there are moments I did genuinely like in it that I'm naively hoping might be expanded on.

TGM
11-23-2016, 02:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjT0srEoHEk

Scar
11-25-2016, 08:23 PM
This was a steaming pile of shit. But I'm not saying anything y'all don't already know.

TGM
12-06-2016, 08:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiFhv3gsyo

Dukefrukem
12-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Yes, sky lasers are over used.

https://d1ro8r1rbfn3jf.cloudfront.net/ms_124812/EuFjHiRyJJgyYph82IRnjO93IVCA1q/Honest%2BTrailers%2B-%2BSuicide%2BSquad%2B-%2BYouTube%2B-%2BGoogle%2BChrome%2B2016-12-06%2B17.05.03.png?Expires=1481 148477&Signature=gommuPbLDMf8LefzjD8E m9crlhSdsOFQGZq8fLkAsC9vcknjAn RGWiSnSurjTcCcTPSazJKHNCNyx3U~ E-JtyalieuXsdXRh8tvLCWE71Ns2E9qV fq6-r7NDkPPLnSEe6KW5PCLdFGYpdT3tAx BXgohwyRgFS5WLbtBDRQ685uWkV6hy G5uxZtrrku69-ZMaybVJtIcKuRsVVYPQ3uSJDK2RA-37Uyfi0rGD7FokNMgleRgCwi1DgjeR DC-Aunx6Usi-drxECKd7z2Foy7b3upUtQ2zoMBESdC fkQ9gA6Ph6QTYSXrJTE8hSQQK9DGfr zzHAy1Ob3hie5crcLotmtg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJHEJJBIZWFB73RSA

DavidSeven
01-04-2017, 10:31 PM
I find it hard to believe "studio interference" is really to blame here. Yes, the editing is horrendous, but does it matter when the footage itself is 90% garbage? It's choppy as hell, but its looks a little like the producers just mercifully quickened the pace to shorten everyone's misery.

The extended opening, which most seem to attribute to the studio, was about the only tolerable part of the movie to me. Not good, but tolerable in the sense that I hadn't lost all hope in intelligent life just yet. The film quickly, and decisively, turns into a car wreck thereafter. Did the entire film crew just give up once they got to post, realizing they had an un-salvageable turd on their hands? This movie's "faceless disposable henchmen" are literally just big, brown blobs with no faces. How much time did they spend designing them? All of a smoke break? After a couple dozen mud-man kills, we're treated to a completely illogical battle between our "heroes" and a bunch of swirling computer lights that someone felt were passable as "super villains." Forget character, motivation, or even consistent powers. More swirling lights, damn it.

Occasionally, an actor's charisma gives you glimmer of what might have been, but this dopey script doesn't allow for many of those moments. Honestly, the best part of this experience is that the film at least reaches a comical level of bad that at least makes it more entertaining than the more competent -- but still bad and less entertaining -- Dawn of Justice.

Grouchy
01-06-2017, 02:25 PM
I just can't wrap my head over how shitty this was. Who the fuck did they hire to write this shit? Oh, right, David Motherfucking Ayer. Whoever is given the task of penning a Suicide Squad movie and includes dialogue (coming from Deadshot's mouth, no less) about what being in love really means simply has no forgiveness.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. This movie also features a shit antagonist (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is simply created as collateral damage by Waller's overconfidence which makes the movie kind of self-defeating), incoherent editing which will make you wonder if you're watching a shortened cut and some truly appalling CGI. It's just so clumsy and stupid it made me yearn for the quality of the staging in Snyder's BvS. Whatever. This drivel doesn't deserve even the superficial level of discussion I'm entering here.

Skitch
01-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Ya'll ready for the opinion from the DC defender?? I watched the extended cut so I don't know about the theatrical.

Oof was this bad. Mirror everything already said for the most part.

- Not the worst shot thing I've ever seen.
- Characters were mostly on point or looked decent enough.
- Leto's Joker was here nor there for me. I didn't hate it, certainly didn't love it, but I am glad for this: I want more Joker performances out there so its sacred cow status can go away. Let more players play.
- Yes, the editing was really bad and awkward. But, In my opinion, here is the absolute biggest reason why this movie is bad: WRITING. From the very start, this story is completely without soul, needlessly convoluted, and worst of all, completely unnecessary! Its essentially deploying the Squad because the squad is being destroyed by one of its own. What? Just have a damn villain that causes you to call in the Squad! Look at the animated film Assault on Arkham. Not the greatest flick, but at least the story made some logical sense for deploying a suicide squad. I feel like they could have made that story line even less expensive than this one.
- It definitely need a few more scenes here and there explaining why people were going where they were going. As it is, they just GO places for seemingly no reason. I can't imagine how much rougher the theatrical was.

Lastly, its not Catwoman bad, but I'd say its Fan4stic level of sloppy. Some great character designs and special effects to look at, everything else a mess. The first real sign of hope I had in Ayer was after Fury, but we didn't get the Fury Ayer, we got Harsh Times Ayer (the worst thing I've seen from him, I'd say Sabotage Ayer but I shut that shit off after 30 minutes).